• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This reminds me of Amnesia Fortnight, awesome idea. We whinge we can't play E3 demos (obviously because they're insanely scripted and would break if you go off the rail) but this is the closest thing.

Eljogu

Nov 1, 2017
Nice. I've been following Eastward since i saw the first trailer. Happy to check it out.

Mit-

Oct 26, 2017
This is a great idea, though I doubt we see a ton of AAA support due to people undoubtedly tearing the demos apart to reveal things they shouldn't.

This is something that streaming could greatly benefit in the future. AAA demos could be streamed so no-touchy from hackers.

Magnet

Oct 29, 2017
What's the idea behind having these only playable for 48 hours? I don't understand why downloadable demos need to expire for single-player games. Exploiting FOMO?

"Let's face it: Not everyone can attend a physical trade show or consumer event. The Game Festival is designed from the ground-up as an event without barriers..." Timing is also a reason people can't attend these physical events, so why restrict the demos to a limited time window? I could see restricting the availability of downloading the demos to a window of the event, but restricting the window for playing them as well seems over the top to me if we're trying to remove barriers for people.

I don't know, it is a cool idea to bring demos from an event's show floor to people at home, but restricting when people can play the games feels arbitrary to me in a digital context.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Great that something like this is finally getting attached to an event like the Game Awards, regardless of the scale of the games

I'll definitely try as many as I can. A really great way to get folks feel more involved while simultaneously getting devs some exposure.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
DEMOS ARE UP!!

System Shock (Nightdive Studios)
Eastward (Pixpil/Chucklefish)
Spiritfarer (Thunder Lotus Games)
Moving Out (SMG Studio/Devm Games/Team 17)
Roki (Polygon Treehouse/United Label)
Chicory (Greg Lobanov)
Wooden Nickel (Brain & Brain)
Haven (The Game Bakers)
Heavenly Bodies (2pt Interactive)
Acid Knife (Powerhoof)
The Drifter (Powerhoof)
Carion (Devolver)
SkateBird (Glass Bottom Games)

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Excited to try Eastward

Demo is weird, feels like I've been thrown in the deep end with no context but I guess that's how these trade show demos work

Last edited:

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Man, thank god Skatebird is still a while away because the demo is... rough. Very rough, in fact.

May 5, 2018
I'm trying to play SkateBIRD but the demo won't load for me for whatever reason. Will try to play Chicory (the game I have the highest hopes for on that list) and see if that loads.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Skatebird definitely has a way to go, but the potential is there for sure. Don't think I would get it (not that big on skateboarding games), but it is charming.

Next is Eastward!

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Carrion's demo was super fun and definitely what I was hoping to get out of the game, so that's probably something I'll buy on launch. Next demo for me is either System Shock or Skatebird. Skatebird I don't have much interest in because it looks pretty rough, but that's why I figured I'd try the demo.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Röki is quite nice, I'm adding that to my wish list. I've often thought about how a 3d game with point and click elements like this would play, I'm impressed. It looks really nice and I really liked the music. I'm excited to play more.

Carrion is fun, seems like it will get harder the further you progress, glad about that because I didn't want it to be just you totally overwhelming enemies. Looks like it will have some strategy involved. Adding it to my wish list.

Skatebird... is really, really rough. I kind of wish they didn't even put out this demo. I've no doubt it will be far more polished when it's released but as this stage it feels like the game will be "Bird on a Skateboard Simulator" in the vein of Goat Simulator, which I don't think they are going for. I think this demo will actually hurt the game more than promote it. It's too early to release this demo.

Going to atleast check out System Shock and The Drifter soon, might dip in to some of the other games if I get time.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Eastward was okay. It looks beautiful, and the demo had a nice mix of puzzle and action, but the combat feels kind of clunky, although the major slowdowns that were going on throughout the demo contributed to that a little.

Will tackle System Shock and probably a couple other games later tonight!

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Would be nice if this extended through Sunday, so I'd have a bit more time to try these out.
Probably nursing a hangover through Saturday

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
System Shock was cool I say that as someone who never played the original two.\

Going to assume the low texture resolution on the environment was a filesize thing?

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Man I wish Eastward was coop. Perfect game to play with my GF.

Game is gorgeous, really happy with that demo.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Eastward is charming and has a great artstyle but I just couldn't vibe with that demo for some reason

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's the idea behind having these only playable for 48 hours? I don't understand why downloadable demos need to expire for single-player games. Exploiting FOMO?

"Let's face it: Not everyone can attend a physical trade show or consumer event. The Game Festival is designed from the ground-up as an event without barriers..." Timing is also a reason people can't attend these physical events, so why restrict the demos to a limited time window? I could see restricting the availability of downloading the demos to a window of the event, but restricting the window for playing them as well seems over the top to me if we're trying to remove barriers for people.

I don't know, it is a cool idea to bring demos from an event's show floor to people at home, but restricting when people can play the games feels arbitrary to me in a digital context.
Perhaps to ensure that nobody manages to gorge themselves on a demo of a game that they really like long before the game itself every comes to market? Leave em wanting more?

I'm in the middle of exam season so I sympathize but I can't give them a hard time for their choice.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Downloaded all the demos, will play them all tomorrow and give impressions. Can't wait, it's like game jam season all over again!

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
man this system shock demo somehow feels more unpolished than the one from 5 years ago, idk how that is even possible. i was/am excited for the game but it feels very rough.