• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This will save me a lot of time checking someone's profile before responding to them in the future.

Yep, and frankly, it'll make the not so accidental ones all the more obvious.
I hope we don't see people purposefully not following what users prefer. That's a really shitty thing.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
What about a "improvements or new features" ticket category where people can vote for which improvements get higher priority?

Like they do for software, basically.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The pronoun addition is fantastic. Love it.

Two minor suggestions I've been meaning to mention:

- If someone has a custom tag (like the 'Visited By Knack' one that myself and others have), that should always replace the 'Member' text. Especially now that we're adding a potential third line of text under the user name. I've noticed that is the case for some tags but not all. For example, the 'Avenger' tag replaces the 'Member' text.

- This would also fix the issue on mobile where the custom tag and 'Member' text show up on the same line, which looks kind of awkward. I'm not sure if that's a bug or not. Example:

Screenshot-20200830-095345-Chrome.jpg

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

- If someone has a custom tag (like the 'Visited By Knack' one that myself and others have), that should always replace the 'Member' text. Especially now that we're adding a potential third line of text under the user name. I've noticed that is the case for some tags but not all. For example, the 'Avenger' tag replaces the 'Member' text.

- This would also fix the issue on mobile where the custom tag and 'Member' text show up on the same line, which looks kind of awkward. I'm not sure if that's a bug or not. Example:

When we did the Avenger thingy we did something different and one-off than just changing the custom tag field like we do for every other tag, because we had to do 1200+ of them at once. That's why it's different.
That said, I take your point, but not sure how technically feasible it is. I can ask.

Oct 27, 2017
Really good changes.

One question I have on the Ticket options is if a user with email "[email protected]" has an account which gets banned, and then a contact us submission is made by "[email protected]" requesting an appeal, and a ticket is also made with the email "[email protected]", if the user subsequently submits a right to be forgotten request for "[email protected]", I presume the erasure will be completed for (1) the account, (2) contact us submissions for "[email protected]", and (3) any tickets opened using "[email protected]"? Is this correct? Or is it the case that you can't open a ticket with an email which already exists for an account while not logged in (so e.g. banned users would make the ticket using a different emails) so a removal request would then necessitate two different emails?

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The ticket system, is this to replace the report function?

If I need a thread title change, would I go through this ticket system or just use the report function as I do now?

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
The ticket system, is this to replace the report function?

If I need a thread title change, would I go through this ticket system or just use the report function as I do now?
It's replacing the Contact Us form - https://www.resetera.com/misc/contact the report function will still exist as it does today so in your hypothetical you would just use the report option on the thread as you do today.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Thanks for the update guys! The Ticketing system could really change the ease of conversation between users and mods

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Yeah this is a good point, would also like to see "member" removed

Does it even serve a purpose? We don't identify junior members so if you have a profile here, you're a member, so it doesn't really seem necessary to have that on every profile

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah this is a good point, would also like to see "member" removed

Does it even serve a purpose? We don't identify junior members so if you have a profile here, you're a member, so it doesn't really seem necessary to have that on every profile
It's not really a "purpose," so much that it's essentially a user group that is displayed. It's the same as the Administrator text for me. As I stated above I don't know if it's really feasible to "replace" those with tags (because essentially that would mean a user group for every single tag), but I'm going to ask tech about it sometime today to see if there's something else possible.

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's not really a "purpose," so much that it's essentially a user group that is displayed. It's the same as the Administrator text for me. As I stated above I don't know if it's really feasible to "replace" those with tags (because essentially that would mean a user group for every single tag), but I'm going to ask tech about it sometime today too see if there's something else possible.

Ah I didn't see you have already replied to the post I was quoting

Yeah if it's a tech issue then that's fair enough. Maybe they can hide it or something. It's not a big deal all things considered but it would still be nice

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'd love to see the removal of "Member". I'd also love to see the return of "Original Poster" instead of the "OP" banner across avatars. It's much easier to Ctrl+F "Original Poster" to see their posts instead of their name and have to skip past everyone that quoted them or more if their name is a common word.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Can tickets also be used with reporting general site bugs that are experienced? I've always had a bizarre issue with Chrome on my desktop where if I use the backspace on the last letter of a word I type it also removes the space before it as well, and it can be kind of confusing. Plus typing on my Google Pixel 3a XL in the post reply or search bar is very slow and sometimes misses whole keys that I've hit.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
The pronouns will make it much easier to address people while replying to them, I really love it!

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Can tickets also be used with reporting general site bugs that are experienced? I've always had a bizarre issue with Chrome on my desktop where if I use the backspace on the last letter of a word I type it also removes the space before it as well, and it can be kind of confusing. Plus typing on my Google Pixel 3a XL in the post reply or search bar is very slow and sometimes misses whole keys that I've hit.
That kind of thing, at the moment, is best put in this thread as the tech team checks it regularly.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
The new ticket system is great, the categories are laid out/detailed well and the overall design/look of it is sleek. The added pronoun options are a really great addition too.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Hi. Im not sure where to go, but is there any recent update lately? So im using samsung and I when im using my samsung's delete button on the keyboard suddenly the keyboard shuts off. I assume this might be the browser's bug but it only happens on resetera site. Im using mobile chrome

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Hi. Im not sure where to go, but is there any recent update lately? So im using samsung and I when im using my samsung's delete button on the keyboard suddenly the keyboard shuts off. I assume this might be the browser's bug but it only happens on resetera site. Im using mobile chrome

While this sounds like an issue with your browser, please report all site bugs in the official tech thread:
www.resetera.com

ResetEra Tech Thread (Report Bugs Here)

Hey less, I installed both Firefox and Edge on my phone and they do not have the issue that Chrome does - I'm freely able to add line breaks. Seems to be just on this one browser for some reason. Hope this info helps you quash this bug!

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
While this sounds like an issue with your browser, please report all site bugs in the official tech thread:
www.resetera.com

ResetEra Tech Thread (Report Bugs Here)

Hey less, I installed both Firefox and Edge on my phone and they do not have the issue that Chrome does - I'm freely able to add line breaks. Seems to be just on this one browser for some reason. Hope this info helps you quash this bug!
That thread's title should really drop the date of that update and go with something like "ResetEra Tech Thread - Report Bugs Here". There's no reason for the date of that update to be in there since the thread has morphed into a general bug reporting thread and there have been site updates since then.

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Just wanted to say thanks for continuing to make the site awesome.

It's nice knowing that people care here, and it separates the place even further from other places.

Sawa

Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Scotland
Really love the pronoun option and that it appears on posts.
Is there a recommended format to write pronouns?
Especially for those of us who use two or more pronouns?

Is it possible to be able to select more than one gender option? Or to add more gender options.
As for myself I am a nonbinary guy so several options apply and none fully by themself

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Really love the pronoun option and that it appears on posts.
Is there a recommended format to write pronouns?
Especially for those of us who use two or more pronouns?

Is it possible to be able to select more than one gender option? Or to add more gender options.
As for myself I am a nonbinary guy so several options apply and none fully by themself

To your last question Sophia talked about it on page one. Essentially that's a lot harder change to implement than the addition of pronoun but she said she plans to bring it up with the tech team.

Link to her post:

www.resetera.com

Introducing Profile Pronouns, plus a preview of our upcoming Ticket system!

Hello everyone! We recently gathered a lot of feedback from members and promised some new features to address common requests. Our tech team has worked extremely hard this past week so that we can introduce two of these features to you today: Available Now: Profile Pronouns This feature has...

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
Awesome updates, and perfectly communicated! A stickied post plus delayed launch to account to account for feedback is much appreciated.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
It's not really a "purpose," so much that it's essentially a user group that is displayed. It's the same as the Administrator text for me. As I stated above I don't know if it's really feasible to "replace" those with tags (because essentially that would mean a user group for every single tag), but I'm going to ask tech about it sometime today to see if there's something else possible.
Seeing as the moderator/administrator user groups were customized to show a certain way maybe you could customize the "member" group to appear invisible? That way you wouldn't have to go through any renaming or deleting of anything.

It would certainly make it cleaner on mobile, specially with this introduction of pronouns.
Also, thanks for the hard work to everyone on the resetera team. Crazy amount of work you all put into this.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Would love more options for TC's to edit their titles and polls. Seems things are locked-in for polls and titles. In case, you make a mistake.

PM a mod seems very inefficient. I get the reasoning. But we should have at least a 5 minute grace period for edits.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Would love more options for TC's to edit their titles and polls. Seems things are locked-in for polls and titles. In case, you make a mistake.

PM a mod seems very inefficient. I get the reasoning. But we should have at least a 5 minute grace period for edits.
You can just report your post/OP/poll