• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
The gender field is something built into the core software so it's a lot more difficult to mess with, especially to replace with an empty field. We'll bring it up with the tech team but we can't promise anything on that right now.
It is possible. I administered a Xenforo board where we did it, albeit with some custom development. I appreciate that it will take time to implement that of course, but it's an important feature imo.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
But members do see ads. There are just more places for ads to show up when you're logged out.
They do. You probably have your adblocker turned on if you don't see them. :P

Something is very weird then, because I've had adblockers (both of them) turned off for Resetera since 2017,I just double checked they still are, and I still don't see any ads.

I remember seeing ads up until some time ago (last year?), so I wonder what's up with that...

Edit: So I went as far as disabling both adblocker extensions wholesale and restarting the browser: nada. I see no ads whether logged in or in incognito mode. :/

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be amazing if a consistent format could be automatically applied to those pronouns. I'm already seeing different styles like:

Pronoun/Pronoun
Pronoun / Pronoun
Pronoun/pronoun
pronoun/pronoun

But this is probably not something that can be coded into the feature.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
It would be amazing if a consistent format could be automatically applied to those pronouns. I'm already seeing different styles like:

Pronoun/Pronoun
Pronoun / Pronoun
Pronoun/pronoun
pronoun/pronoun

Seconded. Perhaps a workaround could be predefined terms with an easy option to contact the Admins to add new terms, should you not identify with any of the predtermined choices, that could then swiftly be added to the predefined pronouns and be available for everyone? (That would also move the trolling potential to a much smaller audience)

MirageDwarf

Oct 28, 2017
Nice features. Appreciated!

Hope this positive interaction leads to all future communications regarding new features or site changes to be this way.

Wonder if pronouns feature is better if it has dropdown list of predefined list instead of any random value.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
Good stuff, but this topic brings up something I've been wondering for awhile now. I've tried searching for the option myself, couldn't find it.

I see some users here with a "title" next to their name. Like "Avenger". How tf do I become an Avenger too?

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Good stuff, but this topic brings up something I've been wondering for awhile now. I've tried searching for the option myself, couldn't find it.

I see some users here with a "title" next to their name. Like "Avenger". How tf do I become an Avenger too?
It's a custom tag. Usually reserved for when users do something interesting, but sometimes we do silly things like this ridiculous thing we did back when Endgame was near release: https://www.resetera.com/threads/on...-check-highlights-for-final-challenge.107809/

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

Pronoun/Pronoun
Pronoun / Pronoun
Pronoun/pronoun
pronoun/pronoun

Seconded. Perhaps a workaround could be predefined terms with an easy option to contact the Admins to add new terms, should you not identify with any of the predtermined choices, that could then swiftly be added to the predefined pronouns and be available for everyone? (That would also move the trolling potential to a much smaller audience)
We think we might have a solution for this and will update when we're done.

iwam

Aug 7, 2019
Great stuff! Personally, I'd name it something other than "Tickets" though, as that doesn't seem the most intuitive for new users.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good changes. Good announcement. Change is good. May Era continue to change and improve for the better.

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018
It is possible. I administered a Xenforo board where we did it, albeit with some custom development. I appreciate that it will take time to implement that of course, but it's an important feature imo.
Dropdown + custom text entry for these fields isn't supported at the moment.

Pronoun/Pronoun
Pronoun / Pronoun
Pronoun/pronoun
pronoun/pronoun

This has been implemented (auto-formats to Pronoun/Pronoun), It also restricts you to a selection of 4 pronouns :)

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, great changes here. Very happy to see pronouns implemented in this way as well. Great job, folks. :>

Very curious to see how the ticket system works in the long run. It feels like a good step in the right direction so thank you for implementing this.

Oct 25, 2017
Checking...
Good. This was always a bit weird not to have as an option, given the needs of so many users here.

also: "a miserable pile of secrets" did not fit within the pronouns box. Why not a dropdown menu like Letterboxd uses though?
(even though I'd lose that little 'etcetera' there)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I want to add my pronouns to my profile, but Era is having an issue with my current PSN ID.

Screen_Shot_2020-08-29_at_9.14.19_PM.png

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
:O

I was thinking just the other day about how I wish Era had an option for displaying/choosing pronouns. This makes me so happy to see - thank you!

Tickets feature is neat too :)

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
Dropdown + custom text entry for these fields isn't supported at the moment.
Right, that's why I said it required custom development. I had someone else code it when we implemented it, but my understanding was it basically yanked out the old gender field and replaced it with a custom entry field that could autocomplete based on a list of provided options (e.g. cisgender male) and imported previous data.

I realize the add-on is for 1.x and I believe this site runs 2.x, but this add-on might provide some insight on how it could be accomplished: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/gender-as-a-text-field.2347/

As I said, I appreciate that adding this would require time and custom development. But it is possible, just not offered out of the box.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big fan of the pronoun tags. 👍

Don't know how i feel about the ticket system, yet.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
The pronoun tags are a nice touch, and it looks nice and clean on the posts too. Good job!

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
Oh hell yessss an awesome feature for the 10-15 nonbinary ppl who aren't banned yet or still bother posting here

Will also be simpler for knowing where the men who feel the need to talk down to women about sexism come from too

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Pronouns is a great addition. Thanks and good job staff!

Ticket system is also a really nice addition, will be nice when it's in place - great work!

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
When you say tickets can be filed from someone who is not logged in and that they need to provide an email & captcha: Does that mean the person has to have a valid Resetera email address on file or anyone can file a ticket with any email address?

If the latter, my concern is being inundated with so many troll tickets that your improvements to response times will be immediately impacted.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Both things are very appreciated. A pronoun system was long overdue (even if the gender field still has weird limits), and so is a way to handle contacting staff without having to PM a specific person or be stuck in an e-mail backlog. I will personally feel more comfortable using this than PMs, so hopefully others feel the same.

Similarly, appreciate you trying to get feedback in advance on new features like this.

When you say tickets can be filed from someone who is not logged in and that they need to provide an email & captcha: Does that mean the person has to have a valid Resetera email address on file or anyone can file a ticket with any email address?

If the latter, my concern is being inundated with so many troll tickets that your improvements to response times will be immediately impacted.

As was said earlier - they already had a Contact Us form that emailed them. It's not like people couldn't already do that if they wanted to. (Hell, I'm guessing it's probably easier to limit people from spamming this than it is from spamming that...)

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Pronouns is a wonderful addition and very well implemented, good job