• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cabel

Nov 17, 2017
Portland
That screen looks fantastic.

Thank you! It's really hard to explain to people why the screen is good, especially when it has no backlight! It's still useless in a pitch black room, but everywhere else it's pretty amazing.

And we haven't announced this anywhere yet — ResetEra exclusive!! — but we'll be showing the system publicly for the first time at Pax West. I'm very excited for people to see it in person.

Oct 27, 2017
Dat screen. I cannot wait to get hold of one of these....
I can't not buy this. I hope the EU price will be humane.

UK resident here. Right there with you. I thank the gods every day I didn't get stung with import fees on my Analogue Super NT.

This is one of those devices just like that. Something I just gotta have.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to self-post but I thought y'all might enjoy this photo!

Trivia: "Input Test" is an internal app that's actually running at 2x resolution. So the actual screen resolution is double what's being shown here.

Literally too beautiful for words. I can't wait to get my preorder in.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

Trivia: "Input Test" is an internal app that's actually running at 2x resolution. So the actual screen resolution is double what's being shown here.

As someone who works on gameboys on a regular basis... I can't stand these not like for like shots... The Gameboy screen is in motion (a screen known for it's ghosting) while the Playdate is using a static screen.

Like, there is a 30 year difference, your screen is going to win. Why intentionally paint the GB screen in a worse light by comparing moving and static screens?

(edit) "How do you know the GB screen is in motion!?" You can see Mario in mid air, and you can see the right to left ghosting of all the pixels. As I said, their 30 year newer screen is going to win in these comparisons, so why intentionally make the older screen look even worse?

(edit 2) "What does it matter if the Playdate looks this good in motion as well as static?" because from what we've seen so far, it's not that good in motion.

Unless there has been fixes in the current or future models, it's still not exactly a perfect screen either. It's like when computer companies release misleading benchmarks despite having the faster hardware... Like you don't need to mislead to sell your product, especially since the OG gameboy isn't even your competition.

Last edited:

Cabel

Nov 17, 2017
Portland
As someone who works on gameboys on a regular basis... I can't stand these not like for like shots... The Gameboy screen is in motion (a screen known for it's ghosting) while the Playdate is using a static screen.

Ha! Sorry about that, that was definitely not intentional! The demo just started while I was taking my photos, and naturally, the Gameboy screen is super blurry in motion.

And the point of the photo was mostly just to show our love for the Gameboy (and show how small Playdate is, people expect it to be much bigger!)

But anyway, here's a second photo just for you! Static screen and static screen! 😛

Aq38DJG.jpg

Do you want me to take one of motion vs. motion also?

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
(edit 2) "What does it matter if the Playdate looks this good in motion as well as static?" because from what we've seen so far, it's not that good in motion.

It looks pretty gorgeous in motion. Unless you are talking about the flicker? Because that has less to do with the console and more to do with the device recording it.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Mmmrrm, been wrestling with my lust for this perfect mechanical object quite a bit over the last month. The game unlock concept is also appealing, zeitgeist wise. Just no way of knowing if the games are going to be meaty or mostly just proof of concepts. Would also help if the pound to dollar could recover and drag the price back closer to an impulse £99 buy.

Like, there is a 30 year difference, your screen is going to win. Why intentionally paint the GB screen in a worse light by comparing moving and static screens?

(edit) "How do you know the GB screen is in motion!?" You can see Mario in mid air, and you can see the right to left ghosting of all the pixels. As I said, their 30 year newer screen is going to win in these comparisons, so why intentionally make the older screen look even worse?

Unless there has been fixes in the current or future models, it's still not exactly a perfect screen either. It's like when computer companies release misleading benchmarks despite having the faster hardware... Like you don't need to mislead to sell your product, especially since the OG gameboy isn't even your competition.

It is going to be okay. The 118 million selling handheld can still sleep at night with its honour intact.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My Barnes and Noble had a copy of Edge that had the feature on this in it. I'm pretty excited for this

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, that screen actually looks really snazzy. Was NOT expecting a non-lit display to be that easy on the eyes. 😱

From an artistic standpoint, a high-res 1-bit display honestly seems like a really fun limitation to work with. Looking forward to seeing what developers do with it.

Any info on how future "seasons" of games are gonna work? If this thing takes off, I would totally pay for more content, so long as I can play it without having to buy another PlayDate.

Cabel

Nov 17, 2017
Portland
Any info on how future "seasons" of games are gonna work? If this thing takes off, I would totally pay for more content, so long as I can play it without having to buy another PlayDate.

It's all subject to change, but we're currently viewing future seasons as just "bundles" of games you buy for one fixed price, delivered over time. So Season Two isn't part of a subscription, but a specific purchase you make. And you definitely would not need to buy additional hardware. The question is what's a reasonable price for a second set of (12?) games…

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
It's all subject to change, but we're currently viewing future seasons as just "bundles" of games you buy for one fixed price, delivered over time. So Season Two isn't part of a subscription, but a specific purchase you make. And you definitely would not need to buy additional hardware. The question is what's a reasonable price for a second set of (12?) games…

Awesome, glad to hear it. Thanks for your answer, looking forward to getting my hands on it! 🙏

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
So I just passed by my living room where my son was watching Pokemon Sun and Moon and couldn't help but notice that there is a kid named Sophocles that wears a T-Shirt with a portable gaming console that looks like a playdate, coincidence or is it here where it all started?

58a8ed07-2b5f-449d-bnek4t.jpeg
That's a Game Boy with a Link Cable sticking out. It's supposed to be reminiscent of the old Gen 1 trading screen.

impiri

Oct 25, 2017

I'm just happy we get a glimpse of the vat where you grow the systems

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
The lemon yellow color is what really sold it to me. Is the surface glossy or matte?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually interested in this. I love quirky well-made gadgets.

However, I am somewhat concerned about the games. The one "game" they've shown thus far doesn't seem like a game whatsoever. It just looks like the equivalent of a stop-motion animation that you can scrub back and forth through at whichever speed you want. Unless I'm missing something?

edit: ohhhhh, just watched a few minutes of gameplay and see now how there are moving obstacles that are outside of your time manipulation, and you go forward or back into certain action to avoid those moving obstacles. Okay, that's not bad. Can't imagine it would be more than a 10 or 15 minute game, but who knows.

Last edited:

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually interested in this. I love quirky well-made gadgets.

However, I am somewhat concerned about the games. The one "game" they've shown thus far doesn't seem like a game whatsoever. It just looks like the equivalent of a stop-motion animation that you can scrub back and forth through at whichever speed you want. Unless I'm missing something?

The character animates with a set path and animations, which you move around on using the crank, but there are elements of the world that run on an independent timer, so you have to plan where you'll be and how you're posed to get past them. In the video above, there's little floating birds or bullets that need to be avoided.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017

I know the purpose of this post is to show how mediocre the Playdate screen is suppose to be... but that looks beautiful to me, flickering and all. What a nifty gadget. I know the post you had issues with show the gameboy in an unflattering way, but all it does really is alleviate my concerns about the unlit Playdate screen, not everything has to be a competition. The Playdate is an homage to the original GB, and the GB's legacy is set in stone, despite all the known flaws it has. No need to defend the legend we all know and love.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Can't find confirmation if the games are online-enabled? I'm in love with arcadey stuff, warioware-like and such, but I need highscores/online leaderboards (I know a friends list would be asking too much) otherwise I'd put it away after 20 minutes.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I played PlayDate at PAX. The screen is *sooo* good! And I really like the little crank-powered puzzle game, whomever came up with that idea is a genius.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just round and round with all these crank puns. I swear some of you are just trying to wind people up!

SamFisher777

Oct 27, 2017
that game at PAX is by Keita Takahashi, the project lead of Katamari Damaci and Noby Noby Boy.

That's wonderful to hear! I assume it's Crankin's Time Travel Adventure?

I love the developers this is attracting. The design of it just screams Keita Takahashi :)

Can't wait to see people get their hands on it at PAX!

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
That purple/yellow combo is so lovely. Now if it were purple/orange, I'd just about squeal with joy.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
The site really sells you on it but I don't think i'd ever actually use it for more than 10 minutes. Very cool piece of hardware though.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Really like the way it looks; retro yet classy thanks to those metal bits. Why black and white though? Have absolutely zero interest in buying it.