• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I don't really understand the market for who this is for...

At first I thought, hey cool to see using the crank to charge the battery. Which is why the screen is black and white...then I realized its mostly just another "button" for the control. Using the crank to control the game in the video just reminded me of an electronic flip-book lol

Seems like a cool device, if anything because of the limited supply. Might still get one

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Not everything needs to have ridiculous growth and success. Sometimes things exist just because a few people want it to. And that's okay, Era.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Might make for a cute NES and Game Boy emulation box.

Edit: Oh the screen is monochrome right? I guess just Game Boy them. Still, it'd be neat to have SML2, Link's Awakening, and Donkey Kong on a thing that can fit in a shirt pocket.

Last edited:

ninjabreadman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
So, will this hipster game-and-watch have any sort of public SDK available for it? it looks lush, but i can't justify $150 and having yet another device I need to charge up unless there is something beyond these 10 indie games. If the screen is unique, could make an interesting device for emulating other old black and white systems (space invaders, gameboy etc).

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mean this as an insult, but this is the most Millennial thing ever created.

I'm all for weird stuff, so good luck.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, will this hipster game-and-watch have any sort of public SDK available for it? it looks lush, but i can't justify $150 and having yet another device I need to charge up unless there is something beyond these 10 indie games. If the screen is unique, could make an interesting device for emulating other old black and white systems (space invaders, gameboy etc).
Caleb posted in this thread saying there will be an SDK and sideloading, IIRC. They have a developer email address on their site you can contact to get such information.

Lua and/or C SDK, I think it might be Mac only for now, based on what I read in the FAQ. [email protected] if you want more info.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny. I described this thing to a few people today, people who play games now and then, but don't follow things super closely. I walked them through what it does and when I finally got to price all of them said some form of: wow that's way cheaper than I thought it was going to be!

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand the market for who this is for...

At first I thought, hey cool to see using the crank to charge the battery. Which is why the screen is black and white...then I realized its mostly just another "button" for the control. Using the crank to control the game in the video just reminded me of an electronic flip-book lol

Seems like a cool device, if anything because of the limited supply. Might still get one

As their website copy suggests, it's for people who just deeply love the medium of videogames. Not people trying to be frugal with their entertainment purchases or have a mainstream handheld console with a deep library of AAA titles. It's not supposed to be an amazing emulator for retro games. It very transparently just trying to be a fun little device that inspires joy. Twelve games delivered over the course of time, all surprises. Just some fun experiences for the people that just love *games*.

I dunno why people are comparing it to stuff like the Ouya. The Ouya and similar devices were always trying to supplement if not outright replace a traditional home console, on the basis of having a ton of games, and aggressively priced games at that. The Play Date is just a tiny experiential device that is trying to do one very specific thing.

Also, for people balking at the price, check out the OP-1, OP-Z, and Pocket Operators from Teenage Engineering. All limited production synths, clocking in at $1,300, $600 and $50-80 respectively. If anything, you should be grateful that Panic isn't marking this up to like $250, which they could absolutely get away with and still sell out.

That crank is dumber than motion controls.

See, the thing about that is that this is a device that will only ever have 12 games (barring anything the community creates for it). It's not a $399 home console from Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft that you're going to be playing every release on for the next six years. You're never going to be forced to deal with dumb implementations of the crank shoehorned into AAA first party titles that would otherwise be better without it. It's an integral part of the device that some experiences will be wholly designed for, and not traditional videogames. This isn't some "you have to swing a wiimote around for 60 hours of Zelda even though a button press would do" shit.

Lan

Oct 25, 2017
Love the aesthetics. If build quality and games seem to hold up during the lead up to preorder, I'll be there. I've certainly dropped $149 on less.

kaister

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man...i love the design the hardware...the square design, boxy look, and random crank...lol. The only thing that got me is the screen. I wish the screen is black lit color. With a backlit color screen...they can still do that black & white game aesthetic they love...but color will make this device much more flexible. Let's be honest...this device is not going to a great deal of games...so what we can hope for to extend the use case of the device is if the home-brew development step in and have the community make more games for it. And even though there are mentions of side-loading...the website they have up doesn't make it seem like user-developed game is a focus.

Funny...when I look at what both this and what 32blit is doing...part of me wish these two projects are combined. I love the hardware design of the unit (except the screen) and them having tailored and quirky game specifically developed for the device, but I love the tech spec and homebrew-centric-ness of the 32blit (but hated the hardware design...lol). And it looks like they're both about $150. If only in a perfect world, I can have combined different aspect of the two projects together...haha.

Anyways...I'll keep an eye on this project.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
This has "if i keep it inside the box i will be able to sell it for a lot of money in 20 years on eBay once most others have had their cranks broken" written all over it

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Might make for a cute NES and Game Boy emulation box.

Edit: Oh the screen is monochrome right? I guess just Game Boy them. Still, it'd be neat to have SML2, Link's Awakening, and Donkey Kong on a thing that can fit in a shirt pocket.

Unfortunately, the Playdate only supports 1-bit color (2 colors, black or white), while the Game Boy is 2-bit (4 colors), so straightforward emulation isn't possible. Expect Playdate games to feature lots of dithering to simulate different shades.

Oct 26, 2017
$150 is pretty pricey for what this is, like doubly too expensive. Just think, you could get a switch for the price of two of these and would have nearly infinitely more gaming experiences open to you.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man...i love the design the hardware...the square design, boxy look, and random crank...lol. The only thing that got me is the screen. I wish the screen is black lit color. With a backlit color screen...they can still do that black & white game aesthetic they love...but color will make this device much more flexible. Let's be honest...this device is not going to a great deal of games...so what we can hope for to extend the use case of the device is if the home-brew development step in and have the community make more games for it. And even though there are mentions of side-loading...the website they have up doesn't make it seem like user-developed game is a focus.

Funny...when I look at what both this and what 32blit is doing...part of me wish these two projects are combined. I love the hardware design of the unit (except the screen) and them having tailored and quirky game specifically developed for the device, but I love the tech spec and homebrew-centric-ness of the 32blit (but hated the hardware design...lol). And it looks like they're both about $150. If only in a perfect world, I can have combined different aspect of the two projects together...haha.

Anyways...I'll keep an eye on this project.

I don't think they could use a color screen and achieve this aesthetic. I am pretty sure this is a pure 1-bit display. Either the pixel is black or it's white and that's it.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I would love to get a copy of this issue of EDGE. Is there anywhere in the US that carries it on newsstands? Like do the big chain book stores have it?

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
please someone tell the 70,000 people that actually there's no market for this and they could buy a switch instead, there must be some mistake!!

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
God I hope they're making enough for me to be able to preorder and not have to fight for one. I can't imagine they were dreaming for the reception they've got but I'm all in as soon as I can get one.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I want it. Even if I have to pay stupid shipping to the UK.

As their website copy suggests, it's for people who just deeply love the medium of videogames. Not people trying to be frugal with their entertainment purchases or have a mainstream handheld console with a deep library of AAA titles. It's not supposed to be an amazing emulator for retro games. It very transparently just trying to be a fun little device that inspires joy. Twelve games delivered over the course of time, all surprises. Just some fun experiences for the people that just love *games*.

I dunno why people are comparing it to stuff like the Ouya. The Ouya and similar devices were always trying to supplement if not outright replace a traditional home console, on the basis of having a ton of games, and aggressively priced games at that. The Play Date is just a tiny experiential device that is trying to do one very specific thing.

Also, for people balking at the price, check out the OP-1, OP-Z, and Pocket Operators from Teenage Engineering. All limited production synths, clocking in at $1,300, $600 and $50-80 respectively. If anything, you should be grateful that Panic isn't marking this up to like $250, which they could absolutely get away with and still sell out.

See, the thing about that is that this is a device that will only ever have 12 games (barring anything the community creates for it). It's not a $399 home console from Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft that you're going to be playing every release on for the next six years. You're never going to be forced to deal with dumb implementations of the crank shoehorned into AAA first party titles that would otherwise be better without it. It's an integral part of the device that some experiences will be wholly designed for, and not traditional videogames. This isn't some "you have to swing a wiimote around for 60 hours of Zelda even though a button press would do" shit.

They said more seasons may come, so 12 isn't set.

Cabel

Nov 17, 2017
Portland
Umm, I thought it was too power the thing. Crank every so often to generate electricity. Environmentally friendly and all.

(I'm back to answer more questions, it's been a bit of a day!)

You know for a second we thought about it. But charging dynos are HUGE, require tension springs, would require an EXTREME amount of force on the crank which would make games unpleasant… it just doesn't work. But we DID think about it! :)

Cabel

Nov 17, 2017
Portland

Yes! typically we get it a month later though… ordering from Edge directly it may just take a week or two. https://bit.ly/EDGE333

That crank is dumber than motion controls.

For what it's worth we have an accelerometer also so… ;)

God I hope they're making enough for me to be able to preorder and not have to fight for one.

We are surprised, but one of the reasons we decided to announce early — our original plan was to launch and sell at the same time — is to gauge interest and adjust our initial run accordingly. I'm not gonna say we're not gonna screw it up, but we're REALLY gonna try not to screw it up

I don't mean this as an insult, but this is the most Millennial thing ever created.

As a 40 year old man this is the greatest compliment I have ever received

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
images

I like the design.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
The one thing I'm concerned about is the crank, because anything that moves is a thing that wants to break. Cabel, any word on the construction?

Deeply looking forward to the Playdate, by the way. I'm firmly on the "$150 seems fair" side of things.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Cabel, thanks for hanging around and answering questions.

To what extent will it be possible to develop games for PlayDate if you don't own a Mac? The FAQ indicates that at least some of the dev tools are Mac only, but it's not clear if that entirely precludes development on another platform, and/or if there's plans to port those tools to other platforms.

mrwilt

Oct 30, 2017
Looking forward to this - really interested in how developers will use the crank in their games. Are you guys developing any games or just doing the hardware? I'm not a developer but it might be cool to have a repository for game ideas on your site.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Honestly, the crank is a big part of what sells it for me. If all 12 games are specifically designed to somehow use a crank, along with traditional controls, this is very interesting.

I would love to see more of these, each with a unique control gimmick (maybe switches, a slider?, eye tracking?), and renowned designers attached to it.