• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
The price was the hardest part of this process for me — we wanted it to be cheaper. But believe It or not, that price covers manufacturing cost plus the cost of the games with not much left over for us. Sigh.

(Big console manufacturers have incredible buying power AND often sell devices at a loss, I have learned quickly.)

So, we're just gonna own that price. It is what it is. I, of course, think it'll be totally worth it! 😛

If it gains any kind of traction you could make some money on accessories such as screen protectors, carrying pouch, protective case. etc.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
This looks really cool. If I wasn't completely broke I'd get this for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for sounding rude but I've seriously seen 'hey did anybody else play game boy in the car at night...' everywhere since I first saw this and literally never heard anybody say it once beforehand.
It's like this is a memory that's been implanted in everybody all of a sudden.

ahhhh well yeah that's pretty much it. I would never have played Links Awakening like that though, anything sort of action oriented was just not feasible. I would assume you never had that experience yourself? What you might be experiencing by seeing it everywhere now is what's called the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon .

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will not let my current job's non-compete clause stop me from developing games on this beautiful piece of kit.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Keeping the games hidden is ridiculous. I'm kind of shocked I'm not seeing claims of "anti-consumer!!!!"

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's the best. We've been around for 20 years now by moving very carefully — we would never bet the farm on a project, we only do something if we can do it safely.

Also don't forget Untitled Goose Game coming this winter!

If I'm posting too much in this thread let me know ;)
I wish you only the best, but you know the lack of a backlight and the $150 price will end the device. At $99 you have a slim chance. $150 is a closed door though. Curiosity and artsy seem to have a breaking point at three digit prices.

Unless this is just a one off run for the engineering resume I don't understand the end goal for the device. You'd been much better off curating this content along side a custom right joycon with a crank on it so you could tap an eager market.

It's none of my goddamn business what you guys do and I hope you prove me very wrong. I honestly do.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW A handheld gaming device you can make games for isn't exactly a new concept - there were plenty being crowdfunded - ArduBoy, PocketCHIP, Gamebuino, etc. There's clearly an enthusiast demand for such devices. This one does have a very nice design, a quirky crank, some known names behind the games, and a high price (okay, last one isn't exactly a plus).

OP
OP
Meg Cherry

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
"This thing looks absurd, but maybe in a way worth supporting."

...why?
The world is more fun when creative people make things for absolutely no other reason than the joy of putting them into the world.

Nothing about this seems profit-driven, or even profitABLE. It's just a nutty idea, driven by people that care. And that's something I wouldn't mind tossing cash at.

Cabel

Nov 17, 2017
Portland
It's none of my goddamn business what you guys do and I hope you prove me very wrong. I honestly do.

Hey, it's totally ok if you don't like it! It's not for everybody and that is absolutely OK with us.

We're not trying to be Nintendo. We're just trying to bring a fun thing into the world.

(And worst case scenario, we'll still be here to publish more games!!)

But seriously, wait until you see some of the games this team has made. Bennett Foddy's is really going to surprise people…

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
ahhhh well yeah that's pretty much it. I would never have played Links Awakening like that though, anything sort of action oriented was just not feasible. I would assume you never had that experience yourself? What you might be experiencing by seeing it everywhere now is what's called the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon .
You know I think that's totally what's happening right here! (this plus a little jealousy as we never even had a car when I was growing up haha)
Hmmm... it's really fascinating how this works. Reading up on it is leading me down a few interesting paths... thanks a lot for the info :)

Oct 27, 2017
Curious to see what kind of following this gets. Our devices today are so sleek and un-gadgety, this one is going to stand out. I do miss the gadget factor sometimes, and functionality that doesn't seem apparent until people start using the thing and discovering "oh, it does that???" Good luck Cabel!

Pacbois

Oct 27, 2017
This is really sweet. Congrats Cabel. Sadly out of my price range (at least for now) but I hope to get my hands on this one day. Do you have plans to get this out to some physical retailers or will it only be available online?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
If it was like $50, I'd be so in for this madness. $150 seems a bit much for such a weird device.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish you only the best, but you know the lack of a backlight and the $150 price will end the device. At $99 you have a slim chance. $150 is a closed door though. Curiosity and artsy seem to have a breaking point at three digit prices.

Unless this is just a one off run for the engineering resume I don't understand the end goal for the device. You'd been much better off curating this content along side a custom right joycon with a crank on it so you could tap an eager market.

Small runs of consumer electronics are not exactly a new idea. Hell, for the release of the game Panoramical someone made a run of 150 custom MIDI controllers to go with it (for around $100 USD, IIRC) and they sold out really quickly. There's an enthusiast market for this. It's probably going to overlap with folks who buy things like the Analog (NT, NT Mini, etc.) hardware and Arduino Boy kits.

monkyrez

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Cabel! I've already signed up for the e-mail list, but how limited are these going to be? I'll probably be up for buying one as soon as they're available but hoping it won't be too tough to get one.

Oct 25, 2017
This is super cute, but that bright yellow's a bit much for me. Here's hoping maybe we get a good soft pink or purple in the future!
It's also way too pricey for my taste, but I'd love to mess around with one and the SDK some day.

Oct 25, 2017
You know I think that's totally what's happening right here! (this plus a little jealousy as we never even had a car when I was growing up haha)
Hmmm... it's really fascinating how this works. Reading up on it is leading me down a few interesting paths... thanks a lot for the info :)

You're welcome! Glad I could share.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I actually want one lol. Signed up for the mailing list.

Hey Cabel! I've already signed up for the e-mail list, but how limited are these going to be? I'll probably be up for buying one as soon as they're available but hoping it won't be too tough to get one.

Would like to know this as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
If its a gameboy style fishing rpg I'm sold.
omg

11614_front.jpg

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, it's totally ok if you don't like it! It's not for everybody and that is absolutely OK with us.

We're not trying to be Nintendo. We're just trying to bring a fun thing into the world.

(And worst case scenario, we'll still be here to publish more games!!)

But seriously, wait until you see some of the games this team has made. Bennett Foddy's is really going to surprise people…
I'll be following the device. I may even buy it as I'm a supporter of these types of things. I just have no illusions of how rare my type of person is and I'm tired of supporting things that are born dead.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
Teenage Engineering is so cool. I expected this to cost double what it will after hearing that. Very fun!

Cabel

Nov 17, 2017
Portland

It's a little uncertain. Our factory can make so many a day, so we need to run the numbers. Response is actually already far beyond what we anticipated so we might adjust our plans. But we REALLY want anyone who wants one to get one, so I'll do everything I can to not make it an obnoxious limited item Mondo kind of situation. I want it to be not stressful for you. :)