• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Have you ever wanted to know ResetEra's favorite thing of the year? Of the month? Did you ever have a question like this for a specific thread/community? Well, have we got something for you.

Introducing Ballots

Previously if you wanted to run something like Movie of the Year or Anime of the Year or anything like that, you had to take a lot of time out of your day and go through the thread manually (or use a scraper that needs very specific formatting requirements and is sometimes unreliable). Now? Now you can just ask the staff to set a vote up and Ballots will do the rest.

Due to the way Ballots counts votes, ranked choice voting is unfortunately not feasible. However, it is overall a great deal more convenient and full-featured than the bots and scrapers we relied on before.

Here's how it works:

YwPX8jn.jpg

As you can see, with Ballots active the thread now runs a constant countdown until the end of the vote tally. This countdown is available at the top and bottom of each page, so it is impossible to miss. If need be, the length can be adjusted at our discretion (if members are having a hard time making their choices, for example).

VT3fp6D.jpg

If we zoom in on the Quick Reply Box at the bottom of the page, we will see a small button marked [Vote]. If you click that you will be brought to the section of your post where you input the games you want to vote for.

egFtaBh.jpg

It is a simple fill-in field that will create another fill-in once text appears in it. Just click to the next box and fill in your choices.

There is a special feature here though.

wRrNGeJ.jpg

You'll be able to see the choices that everyone has made so far. So if someone has already voted for the one of the games on your list, all you need to do is find it and check the box in order to vote for it!

dhZmM8J.png

When you're all done a post will be created that looks like this. No more worrying about how to format your posts, Ballots will do that for you.

GyuBwdk.png

T8v4FhQ.png

When you are putting in how you feel about the games on your list, just put your thoughts in the basic reply box. They will appear above your list and will not affect how your vote is counted at all.

Information
If you would like to make use of Ballots to run a vote of your own, either in a new or existing thread, please contact me directly by PM and I can set it up for you.

The first vote we will be launching with Ballots will be the Game of the Decade vote, September 3rd at 12 Noon EST!

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Awesome!

To be clear, this doesn't allow you to vote for a top 10 (where 1st place gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9, etc)? This is just plain 1 vote per option, right?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Is there any chance that you all will expand the number of options we can have in one poll? The current limit right now is 7.

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any chance that you all will expand the number of options we can have in one poll? The current limit right now is 7.
This is a different beast entirely. It isn't meant to replace the poll option, but to replace the scrapers we've used for GotY and other votes like that.

Awesome!

To be clear, this doesn't allow you to vote for a top 10 (where 1st place gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9, etc)? This is just plain 1 vote per option, right?
Correct, but it allows for more than just 10 votes.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
The first vote we will be launching with Ballots will be the Game of the Decade vote, September 3rd at 12 Noon EST!

Oh no, I just realized you gave an exact time. That means the entire first page of the thread will be taken over by all the prepared posters ready to copy-paste walls and walls and walls of text.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
This is the best. Now we can get a true measurement of best racing game rankings 🙌

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
This is the best. Now we can get a true measurement of best racing game rankings 🙌
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
Little confused about something here. After clicking "Vote", you're saying that if you are the first person in the thread to type in "Breath of the Wild", that means the next person/people will automatically see that "BotW" option after clicking the Vote button, so all they have to do is check-it? They don't have to type it in the fill-in field?

What if someone misspells a game? Bread of the Child? Will that show up under the Vote option for everyone once one person types it in the fill-in field? Is there a system correcting this, making sure that Bread of the Child, BotW and Breath of the Wild are all the same thing? Or am I misunderstanding how it works.

Also, with a thread like Game of the Decade, if 50 people have 50 different games they think are GotD, does that mean 50 different games are going to show up under the Vote button?

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
I'm interested in doing a 'best narrative' poll. I'll wait until Game of the Decade is over though.
Little confused about something here. After clicking "Vote", you're saying that if you are the first person in the thread to type in "Breath of the Wild", that means the next person/people will automatically see that "BotW" option after clicking the Vote button, so all they have to do is check-it? They don't have to type it in the fill-in field?

What if someone misspells a game? Bread of the Child? Will that show up under the Vote option for everyone once one person types it in the fill-in field? Is there a system correcting this, making sure that Bread of the Child, BotW and Breath of the Wild are all the same thing? Or am I misunderstanding how it works.

Also, with a thread like Game of the Decade, if 50 people have 50 different games they think are GotD, does that mean 50 different games are going to show up under the Vote button?
Indeed, it seems to me as if there could show up hundreds of options that other have already entered, which will quickly become unwieldy.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
It's a shame that ranked voting isn't feasible with this system and I'm interested how GotD is going to work considering ranked choices have played a big part in things in other years.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to the ERA team for all of their hard work on this project! Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Oct 24, 2019
This is a different beast entirely. It isn't meant to replace the poll option, but to replace the scrapers we've used for GotY and other votes like that.

Regardless, is there a way we can expand the number of poll options please? For example, if you make a poll on the best Final Fantasy game, you have to pick 6 that you want to feature and then use slot #7 as an "other" catchall for everything else.

Then, inevitably (and understandably), the comments are filled with people going "I can't believe you left ___ off" and you have no clue how the "other" votes should be distributed.

Would just be easier to have a poll that lets you have like 20 options so we can bypass all that (and avoid having to use third party poll makers) :p

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless, is there a way we can expand the number of poll options please? For example, if you make a poll on the best Final Fantasy game, you have to pick 6 that you want to feature and then use slot #7 as an "other" catchall for everything else.

Then, inevitably (and understandably), the comments are filled with people going "I can't believe you left ___ off" and you have no clue how the "other" votes should be distributed.

Would just be easier to have a poll that lets you have like 20 options so we can bypass all that (and avoid having to use third party poll makers) :p
You realize this is the kind of thing that the new ballots feature would be perfect for, yes?

OP
OP
B-Dubs

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose, but when you say ballots aren't meant to replace polls, I guess I'm not understanding why you would ever use a poll then lol
This runs for a set length of time and has to be set up, while a poll is instant. So if you wanted to find out what Era's favorite JRPG was you'd use this, but you wanna find out if they like The Dark Knight better than Batman Begins you'd use a normal poll.

Just keep in mind, this is largely for stuff that is too big for a regular poll.

Oct 24, 2019
This runs for a set length of time and has to be set up, while a poll is instant. So if you wanted to find out what Era's favorite JRPG was you'd use this, but you wanna find out if they like The Dark Knight better than Batman Begins you'd use a normal poll.

Just keep in mind, this is largely for stuff that is too big for a regular poll.

gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarity!

choog

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This is a great addition.

I am very, very interested in helping out if you want to add features for ranked-choice voting and other systems.

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
[x] Ridge Racer Type 4
It only counts that once.

How will this show up in the results? Or is this just a way to format posts?
It looks like Hecht's post, with some extra new lines if you are adding some comment text between the vote block and such.

Will this be programmed in the future?
I am very, very interested in helping out if you want to add features for ranked-choice voting and other systems.
Additional voting types are something to be considered, it just wasn't able to be included in the release version. No real roadmap or timeline on that sorry.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It only counts that once.

It looks like Hecht's post, with some extra new lines if you are adding some comment text between the vote block and such.

Additional voting types are something to be considered, it just wasn't able to be included in the release version. No real roadmap or timeline on that sorry.
So the votes are not consolidate in one place, you have to look at each post and count yourself?