• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

Google Play Pass bundles 350 Android games and apps for $4.99 per month

No ads, no in-app purchases. $1.99 introductory price

Today, Google is launching a new service called "Google Play Pass," which for $4.99 per month gives Android users access to over 350 games and apps which will be served ad free and without any in-app purchases. Google will give users 10 days free and is also planning on offering the first year at $1.99 per month. It will be available in the US this week and other countries "soon."

Google's take on the app subscription model is a little different from Apple, which just last week launched Apple Arcade, its $4.99 games subscription service. Firstly, Google Play pass includes apps as well as games. Secondly, Google isn't directly funding development their development nor demanding exclusivity.

At launch, all of the apps and games included in Google Play Pass were already available on the Play Store and will continue to be available as standalone purchases (or ad-supported). If you've previously installed any app that's included in the service and sign up, your current app should automatically have its ads removed and its in-app purchases unlocked.

In a demo, Google showed me a game that normally would have an in-app purchase for an expansion pack — but as a part of Play Pass, it was simply free. The Google Play Store will soon begin showing a small, multi-colored ticket next to apps that are included in the Play Pass bundle, showing subscribers that it's free and enticing non-subscribers to sign up.

Google says roughly two thirds of the apps included in Play Pass are games, including longtime favorites like Stardew Valley, Monument Valley, Limbo, and Risk. In other words, they include a mix of indie and institutional developers. Similarly, the non-game apps include biggies like AccuWeather and smaller, well-loved Android apps like Hi-Q recorder. I haven't seen a full list yet, but other notable games that I noticed include Star Wars: KOTOR, Mini Metro, Old Man's Journey, and Eloh.

Play Pass subscriptions can be shared with up to five family members and also integrate with Google's parental controls for the Play Store. Unlike Apple, Google isn't requiring more stringent privacy standards from apps included in Play Pass — though the removal of all ads is a big step forward for many of them.

Also unlike Apple, Google was willing to share at least a little about how it plans to pay developers: via user "engagement" with the apps. What precisely that entails is not entirely clear yet — Google says it's more than simply tracking screen time or number of opens per week.

Developers may balk at their income being handled by another algorithm, but then again the state of Android apps is such that anything that brings in money at all would be a big improvement for Android developers. The platform has a reputation for doing a worse job of monetizing apps than iOS, after all.

Fortunately, developers shouldn't need to do a lot of work to make their apps compatible with Google Play Pass. The company says that as long as apps use standard APIs for ads and in-app purchases, it should be a simple switchover — either way, developers shouldn't need to ship two separate versions of their app.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Very nice, some good games there. I like how it includes apps too, more useful for me than just a game service. Let the subscription battles begin! Apple Arcade is great.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I didn't care when Apple announced theirs and I don't care about this. $4.99 is more than I've spent on mobile games in probably two years.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why that launch trailer included some games thrice?

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
I think I'll go for this for the $2/month for first year. I'll see how I interact with it, and then continue the subscription or unsubscribe based on that.

This isn't going to have as crazy of exclusives as apple arcade though.

Edit: O dang, this also includes Apps, might increase the value depending on what apps are supported.

Last edited:

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
2019 is definitely the year where every company gets a subscription service of some kind.

Don't think the Google Play Pass is as appealing as Apple Arcade is though.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I didn't care when Apple announced theirs and I don't care about this. $4.99 is more than I've spent on mobile games in probably two years.
It's more than I've spent on mobile games in over a decade! I did give the free trial of Apple Arcade a spin though and there are some good games on there but I won't be carrying on my subscription after the free trial expires.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
It depends on the catalogue, but for 1.99$/€ per month, I think I'm in, as there are definitely some mobile gems that I want to play on my phone.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Lol I'm sure this will be a well thought out program and not a knee jerk reaction.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I'm interested - for the inclusion of apps as well as games and the simple fact that it'll be a curated, ad-free set of stuff.

(Lack of) curation and ads are the two main things that have poisoned the mobile space.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I might actually be kind of interested in this at $2 a month depending on what's actually included.

But of course it's US only, so I guess not. Then again, that's about what I'd expect from Google, so I'm not even surprised.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, after looking at the line-up, this really pales in comparison to Apple Arcade.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned - Platform Warring
Great to see Google providing a similar service - only Apple fanboys gonna complain about this one - as usual.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
Slow Motion Video FX is... not a game though?
It's Games & Apps, interesting way to differentiate it from Apple Arcade. Interesting to mention that googles app store is called "Google Play Store" so the "Play Pass" is more branding with the "Play Store" than a "play games pass" phrasing it seems to have.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Shameless knockoff, but I don't care, service seems great if the games are good.

I am still jealous of all the Apple Arcade exclusives though.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
This is amazing. It's also not tied to $700 devices like Apple's. I know the Apple TV is cheaper but ain't nobody buying that in 2019. It's a shame that it will get criticized for "copying apple" tho, even if it only means good things for the mobile landscape.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
lol, you really think they can put this service together over a few weeks?

Working on and " oh shit Apple just released there's. How quick can we throw something final out?" Are two different things.

And if you don't think this release window wasn't influenced be Apple Arcade then idk what to tell you.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
This is the perfect example of Google following the competition, and half arseing it.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Great to see Google providing a similar service - only Apple fanboys gonna complain about this one - as usual.
Android user here. I'm considering buying an iOS device just for Arcade. On the other hand I'm not even remotely interested in this. From a quick look at their landing page, it's mostly shovelware and old stuff, no exciting new releases.
I'll keep playing Grand Order lol

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
The fact that this can be paid for by Google opinion rewards makes it much more attractive that it would have been otherwise. Apple had the quality though

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Not really interested in a lot of Android games, but I would love to see a list of the apps in there. That could lure me in.

Lol I'm sure this will be a well thought out program and not a knee jerk reaction.
This was actually in the works for some time now, it surfaced among Beta testers at the same time as the Apple Arcade announcement back in march.