• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I think Sony is gonna do the Nintendo.

Dull looking ones come with the console. Sell the good looking ones by themselves. They got me. I'll definitely buy another one that has better colors.

BC-2

Dec 3, 2018
I really wish they'd get rid of the lightbar but other than that my only complaint is the color, which I'm sure will be no issue once other versions are released.

neemmss

Oct 27, 2017
added the colored PS logo to the colored face buttons
FTo28y1.jpg
I want this...and if it was translucent, like the switch pro controller, omg.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty slick. I like it.

In the end, there will be so may color variations that folks will get one that suits them and the feel matters much more. I personally have no preference between symmetrical and asymmetrical analog sticks so I can use the DS4 or the Xbox Controller and enjoy both.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Interesting on paper but I will instantly turn off all feedback and vibration. Wastes battery and distracts me, I never understood these things but to each their own. Hope it works on PC without too much fuss. I keep only one controller on hand that I share between PC and PS4, so once I sell the PS4, I hope this can take over that duty.
That's just silly. Feedback can be great in games. Maybe try it again, especially this next gen feedback. It's progressed quite a lot since dual shock one or whatever.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
The idea that the console design might be consistent with this makes me really happy, it seriously looks way better than I expected (basically a bulkier DS4 like the prototype), it's both elegant and futuristic with the white color and the d-pad looks closer to the Vita one.
Looking forward to the new functionalities as the Create button, things like creating your own videos were basically already there on PS4 with Share factory so there must be something significantly new.
Better battery is also a nice plus.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Hopefully it feels better than it looks. Maybe that touchpad will be better than DS4 at least. Any hope it'll support X-input on pc?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Over 2,000 posts in an hour. Damn!

Was planning to read through the thread, but that seems next to impossible now, lol.

As for the controller, it looks sexy as fuck! I can only imagine what the PS5 will look like to complement it.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Glad to hear the news and the tech sounds great. It looks horrible, but that's just the colors I think. I'll try to get a different colored one, in a bundle or a year or 2 down the line?

DuvJones

Oct 30, 2017
I can't call it ugly because, maybe it's me, but their is just no personality from the images. Will have to get my hands on it to have more of an impression, but as it stands... This is neither here nor their. Kind of annoyed that the touch-pad is still around but at least I can say that Sony stuck to it this time, it always seemed like an extra feature of the PS4 that they were going to just drop.
Not sold on the pad, but it's a Playstation Pad... it will work.... I just prefer the + for directional's or a circle pad.
And I am HAPPY that they dropped the light-bar support.

Still, it's all a matter of how it feels after 30 min/1 hour/2+hours and so on. If it is responsive, which even with it being wireless, it should be... Sony has been doing that for years now. Cost... which we are likely not hearing about right now.

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Controller looks sexy as hell.

Grips, elevated PS logo & the clear d-pad (or covering) sold it for me. And you KNOW this in different colors is only going to look better.

And just a little hint of that PS3 boomerang mock eh?

2 things I'm most excited about now after this:

1. 1st new controller design, ever? Exciting!
2. A chance the launch system will be white

Can't wait to see how it feels

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Based on this, I think the console itself will be hideous. Hopefully it's not too big so that it can be hidden in my TV bench.

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit that's cool. Looks futuristic as fuck. That said... I guess this means VR is done for Sony now? How are we going to play VR games with out the light bar on top?

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Without the light bar, this controller would not be backwards compatible with PS4 VR games. By all means shit on it though because god forbid anyone like something that you don't.
Why would you be using the DS4/5 when the PSVR2 will likely have its own controllers? It's not like PSVR2 will be outside-in camera-based like PSVR 1 is.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I think this is a preview of what the main box will look like. Will MS going for an obelisk and Sony seemingly going for a white tower, we may no longer be having the traditional black box console as default.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Have to say, I actually really like design and shape of it... though I'd prefer an black version I think as far as colour goes.