• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Is being technologically inept part of the mainstream gaming journalism requirement?

I understand that this is a multi-disciplinary medium but by the gods sometimes some "journalists" highlight their tech shortcomings with neon paint. I look at Jason Shreier and his work is laser focused on the socio-economic and the politics within the gaming industry and the consumer end. He is generally very measured in how he converses/writes esp. when it comes to tech- his opinions and information stray from the path of absolute numbers unless he has it on good authority that the information he is conveying is bankable. He is an actual journalist.

It boggles my mind how we have essentially one major English outlet, a subsidiary of Eurogamer, Digital Foundry, that covers technology in gaming both on HW and Software side of things. One, among an ocean of Review outlets. One, since the days of PS3/360/Wii.

Hopefully, in the next hundred years this situation will improve. Perhaps in the next half a century, we'll see a competitor to DF.

Yes?

Look how little technical performance ever factors into reviews unless the game runs like absolute garbage.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
This came up on my Google news feed this morning from trueachievements.com :

Even when it spelled out exactly what the adaptive triggers can do, apparently the xbox one controller can already do it. SMH.

Maybe many here missed what I posted about how the trigger resistance work on DS:

And this is how the trigegr impulse work on XBox controller:

It is just an added vibration to the triggers with rotation motors just like the vibration of grips of any controller, a good extra for triggers but still conventional vibration.

What the DS has is another story enevr done before which mimic different physical behaviors of things thanks to those mechanical parts, coupled with the advanced haptic feedback that can propagate through the whole controller from sticks to triggers and bumpers, the sensations will offer an unprecedented feel, never experienced before.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much of the ignorance of the difference between DualSense and Xbox triggers stems from lack of understanding of what impulse triggers actually do. Have they been used that much outside of Forza?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how much of the ignorance of the difference between DualSense and Xbox triggers stems from lack of understanding of what impulse triggers actually do. Have they been used that much outside of Forza?

I don't know which games use it cus sadly on PC there is no way to experience Impulse trigegrs even on the games that support it on XB1. MS never updated their drivers or added support for them on PC. So weird.

Last edited:

JackEtc

Oct 28, 2017
NYC
I don't which games use it cus sadly on PC there is no way to experience Impulse trigegrs even on the games that support it on XB1. MS never updated their drivers or added support for them on PC. So weird.
I was just playing Horizon 4 last night on PC with a XBO controller via USB and I def feel the ABS brakes in the left trigger, etc.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
The
That would be hilarious. Jokes aside, I think this is a non-issue as the very moment there are hands-on previews, the narrative will shift in either direction depending on what's actually in the pad.
real issue for me isn't even that they seem to be making mistakes like that.

But its that these mistakes are coming from the people that are supposed to be in the know and informing people.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
With TLOU2 delayed what are the odds sony fill that hole with another reveal. i mean its next month. and if they want to do something on a whim. that'd be a good time for maybe another ps5 component reveal.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Are you sure? I thought I felt something when I played Forza 4 but I could be totally crazy. That was a long time ago.

I was just playing Horizon 4 last night on PC with a XBO controller via USB and I def feel the ABS brakes in the left trigger, etc.

Really? I don't know. Years ago when I used the XB1 controlelr on PC with the games that supported it it didn't work and I read that it wasn't supported. i didn't read anwyhere that a recent support was added. That would be cool if true.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is so much great buzz/vibe about the Controller. Sony could learn from this for the reveal of the Ps5 cause the technical reveal part was a drama

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Sony launching this attachment so late in the gen, with no game actually needing it just makes me think that the PS5 will support DS4 controllers and that the Dual Sense controller will have those extra buttons by default. There is no other explanation for this, right? And the pics of the Dual Sense controller dont ever show the back so maybe they are holding that of.

It certainly seems a very sound conclusion to reach. So it's probably not true and Sony made a DS4 attachment that is useless on the PS5 controller just because.

More inputs would make the DualSense even more of a I NEED IT NOW upgrade over the DS4. I can't wait to see what they'll do with those triggers. I bet they wanted to have demo stations before launch and now might have to cancel those plans 😭

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Sony launching this attachment so late in the gen, with no game actually needing it just makes me think that the PS5 will support DS4 controllers and that the Dual Sense controller will have those extra buttons by default. There is no other explanation for this, right? And the pics of the Dual Sense controller dont ever show the back so maybe they are holding that of.

Well it replaces 2 existing buttons, so of course no game "actually" needs it. But DOOM Eternal is unplayable for me without the paddles. As is TW3.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Well it replaces 2 existing buttons, so of course no game "actually" needs it. But DOOM Eternal is unplayable for me without the paddles. As is TW3.
I know, I just meant that this add-on is completely different than the Wiimote plus accessory (for example) that was release a few years later but it was necessary for some games. The back button released out of nowhere, less than a year before the new console is out.

And it could actually be new separate buttons on the Dual Sense controller, then they would make all DS4 forwars compatible but only with the back buttons to mimic the DS.

We know the hardware costs will be high (SSD alone is a huge increase over standard HDD) and they need to find ways to get money from customers. Not having the DS4 compatible at all would be bad press since the Xbox controllers will keep working on the next gen, so the option of "upgrading" the DS4 would suit their financial needs.

Oct 25, 2017
There is so much great buzz/vibe about the Controller. Sony could learn from this for the reveal of the Ps5 cause the technical reveal part was a drama
The buzz is all from how it looks. People are still managing to misunderstand the information that was presented along with it.

The actual console reveal will be a success, even if their awkward GDC/not GDC tech reveal was clumsy and confusing for some.

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
The problem is Sony just told people about the triggers in a blog post, and even with examples, it's understandable that people get it wrong.

Once they actually show how it works in games and devs start using it it'll become clear.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
Cerny's presentation was solid.

Some people just misunderstood its purpose (the presentation was prepared for GDC/Devs, it wasn't supposed to be a PS5 reveal blowout).
They sure made it out to be by hyping it up. Watching that live felt like I was robbed of my time. That's could've been a slideshow or a blog post

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
Jim Ryan said exactly what it was going to be the moment the stream started.
The day before, they announced it in a tweet (that got hundreds of thousands of likes and retweets btw) The communication wasn't clear and it still seems to be the case with the marketing so far. I just wanna see the box and the games

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
With TLOU2 delayed what are the odds sony fill that hole with another reveal. i mean its next month. and if they want to do something on a whim. that'd be a good time for maybe another ps5 component reveal.
I feel that's exactly what they're gonna do. A blowout in May seems perfect now. Still hoping for something else this month tho. This dripfeeding of info is tedious

Oct 25, 2017
Cerny's presentation was solid.

Some people just misunderstood its purpose (the presentation was prepared for GDC/Devs, it wasn't supposed to be a PS5 reveal blowout).
I enjoyed the presentation, myself. However, the way they publicized it ahead of time strongly implied they wanted a general audience to watch it as well. It wasn't a bad talk, but it was awkwardly positioned in terms of intended audience.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why don't we have a video showcasing the features of the Dualsense? That should avoid any confusion if the blog post didn't make it clear enough. Honestly I just want a video of the Dualsense anyway.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
They could at the very least provide a brief trailer or an infographic detailing the functions. Even with some of Sony's missteps, one thing that's painfully clear is that peoples' listening and reading comprehension on various details has been awful, across the forums and most media outlets.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I expect we'll see a lot more consumer-oriented messaging to effectively communicate what it means in practice once we're actually seeing games, and once we get close enough to launch that we're starting to get into pre-order territory. The goal of a marketing campaign is to peak interest at the point where people can actually purchase the product in question.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I find it interesting way back in January 2019 it was reported that Microsoft were planing to something similar to adaptive triggers via a patent filed in 2017. Wonder why the decided not to go through with it. I guess if the Sony doesn't have any durability issues with the Duelsense Microsoft already has a patent to do something similar.

www.windowscentral.com

New Xbox One resistive controller triggers detailed in Microsoft patents

Newly-surfaced patents explore adjustable-tension triggers, aiming to enhance controller feedback.
Filed by Microsoft in June 2017, the first patent is titled 'INPUT DEVICE WITH LINEAR GEARED FEEDBACK TRIGGER' and it was published by USPTO on December 6, 2018. It details an Xbox controller with the focus entirely on the trigger feedback improvements.

xbox-controller-trigger-patent-2019.jpg

It is interesting that they never followed through. It could be that this particular implementation either wasn't that effective, or lead to reliability issues. Given the size of the tiny teeth and the power of the motor so directly connected to them, I wouldn't be surprised if some teeth could be prone to stripping. Either that or it was simply a cost saving thing.

Comparing it to Sony's patent on their adaptive trigger set up, and I must say, Sony's looks a lot more substantial.

GupIm6M.png

FgeQads.png

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Veyr very good:

www.gamereactor.eu

DualSense: Supermassive "already having discussions"

We spoke to Supermassive's Pete Samuels about Sony's new controller and what it might mean for the future.

What were the most underlooked features of DS4 and that many devs didn't use well didn't use at all back then?
It was the touchpad and gyro.
Knowing that many devs use the lightbar, the monospeaker and vibration well, we can expect almost all to use those normally with added haptic feedback and trigger resistance.
Supermassive already touchpad, gyro and microphone for DS4 and they are thinking to use those features again with DS (pls the extra features).

I am happy that their next game at least, will use all DS features.

Last edited:

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I'm glad Sony released DS5 info due to fear of leaks.

Hoping we get a leak of the system design now or a fear of internal one so we get the information out sooner.

If they start production in June I'm hoping leaks or official reveal sooner rather than later. Enough will holding the info. MS already schooled Sony on reveal and specs. (Regardless of likes)

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Hoping we get a leak of the system design now or a fear of internal one so we get the information out sooner.

If they start production in June I'm hoping leaks or official reveal sooner rather than later. Enough will holding the info. MS already schooled Sony on reveal and specs. (Regardless of likes)

yeah microsoft deep dive has been 100x more interesting than whatever sony has been doing

hopefully people just leak all of sony's shit

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

lol

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
The controller has grown on me a lot. I like the size and I'm excited for full haptic feedback. Curious if the audio jack will be better than ps4 DualShock because every game struggles with it. Lots of audio cuts out