• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
Any feature present in the DS4 should also be found in the DualSense, because the PS5 is officially back-compatible with the PS4.
Gyroscope will be there, for sure, and I wouldn't be surprised the new controller will also bleed sufficient light from its back for the VR tracking to be functional, too (although not evident from published pictures).
I thought the DS4 was going to be forwards compatible anyway. So although it would be nice for the DSense to be able to replicate all of DS4's features (and I'm sure it will mostly), it's not strictly necessary. I personally don't think there will be any light tracking on the DSense so for PS4 VR games that use a controller you'll need a DS4. Then again, as has been pointed out multiple times, we haven't seen the back properly (which I keep forgetting).

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some really good mockups in this subreddit:

reddit.com

r/DualSenseConcepts

r/DualSenseConcepts: The official place for all user created colorways and takes on the recently announced Sony DualSense controller.
xgQ4zp3l.jpg

black buttons with rgb
now we're gaming

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
That's not totally true. The original Xbox One and Kinect and the controller shared quite a few design queues with each other and showed what a package completely designed around a certain aesthetic can look like. The PS4 and the DS4 weren't designed this way so it's probably more accurate the say you can't extrapolate that many design elements from a Sony designed system and controller. The original Playstation was the only console designed with the system and controller sharing design qeueues. Everything post that has not because they kept the original controller design. Funny enough the boomerang controller would have fit better with the design of the PS3 than the DS3 did.
Yeah I was thinking from sonys perspective. Its interesting seeing the designs from PS1 all the way to now. It has always been good looking machines and I doubt it will be any different this generation. It will just be quite different in terms of color schemes from their usual one tone designs.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
A question for you guys/girls who switch from 360 to PS4 this gen. How did it feel going from the offset sticks on the 360 controller to the sticks on the PS4 controller? Did you adjust quickly and stopped noticing? Or does it still feel uncomfortable?

I'm planning to switch from Xbox to PS next gen and I'm concerned about hating the PS5 stick layout. I really love the Xbox One controller.
As someone who regularly switches between DS4 and Pro controller, the stick symmetry thing is blown way out of proportion and being used as console war tool. If someone can't move their thumb by 10 degrees sideways, they have bigger problems than controllers.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Disagree. The DS4 is Dual Shock catching uo with the times design wise, and feature wise it only adds the share button and the touch pad
Plus Lightbar and expansion port..
Plus speaker and headphone jack.

Expansion port went unused until almost the end, and lightbar didn't add any gsmeplay improvements and was a battery hog
That you don't like the results doesn't mean the lightbar added nothing to gameplay.

KlytusImBored

Oct 30, 2017
New Jersey
As someone who regularly switches between DS4 and Pro controller, the stick symmetry thing is blown way out of proportion and being used as console war tool. If someone can't move their thumb by 10 degrees sideways, they have bigger problems than controllers.

agreed. It's fine having a preference, but to say the offset is a deciding factor seems like grasping for a better argument.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Actually kind of surprised they kept that trash speaker in the controller, now that I think about it. Turning that + the light off will be a day 0 move.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
A question for you guys/girls who switch from 360 to PS4 this gen. How did it feel going from the offset sticks on the 360 controller to the sticks on the PS4 controller? Did you adjust quickly and stopped noticing? Or does it still feel uncomfortable?

I'm planning to switch from Xbox to PS next gen and I'm concerned about hating the PS5 stick layout. I really love the Xbox One controller.

You'll get adjusted rather quickly, however make no mistake about it the XBO controller can't be beaten in regards to ergonomics, comfort, grip and heft. That's regardless of stick placement.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yup.

At the most, muscle memory from playing a specific console alot will make me mess up a couple times. And that's only a couple of tries or just looking at controller settings to get right again.

darthkarki

Banned
Feb 28, 2019

I use an Xbox One controller on PC, and DS4 on PS4 (obviously). I switch between them constantly, often on the same day, and have absolutely no issues and never did. People being so gung ho about one or the other is nonsense in my opinion.

What's weird to me is people claiming the Xbox left sick layout is "better" or "more ergonomic", when in any game with camera control your right hand is going to be in the "bad" layout anyway. 😆 At least with symmetrical sticks your hands and thumbs are in the same position.

Oct 25, 2017

Having played PS2 and 3 a ton, I went the opposite way many years back when I got a 360 pad for PC and started doing the majority of my gaming there. It really didn't take long to adjust. Nor does it take any effort to re-adjust to the DS4 which I prefer for games like DMC5, Sekiro, or God of War.

It's something that should become unnoticeable once you've put in a few days with the new layout.

Learning the new button labels is far more of a hurdle than stick position. And that's not hard either.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
yeah like either way feels natural immediately to me. lol.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I actually liked it. Having in game radio conversations coming from it was pretty neat. 😋
i love the speaker too, it has way more uses and wish it was used more it adds a lot to immersion in the games when used right. like for comms or things like making a flashlight turn back on with that and shaking the controller. nice changes of pace lol.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I can't. If u can do so.
based on that first patent. its probably finally adding gestures you could do on screen in the OS. like being able to swipe right to go to the end of something or swipe up to bring up a menu in the OS. Which would be awesome. i was trying to use the touchpad in the PS4 OS and it never occurred to me they never utilized it outside of typing lol. unless im going crazy.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
agreed. It's fine having a preference, but to say the offset is a deciding factor seems like grasping for a better argument.

I don't know if it's just preference. Comfort and personal usability is an issue too. Offset sticks make design easier. Yes, your hands are symmetrical, but your use of a controller isn't. My left thumb is on the analog 99% of the time. The right thumb varies from game to game. Some games it's 80% of the time and others it's 0%. Putting the analog in the natural position allows my left hand to support the controller while the right hand goes back and forth and does all of the quick work. I think it's possible for me to use a symmetrical sticked controller, but it's not as easy to design a controller around that setup.

The DS4 doesn't work for me, but Sony did a lot of work with the shape and grip of the DS5 and maybe that could work better for me.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
People here seem to hate it but I love it. A great evolution. Gives off an 80s / Mass Effect vibe without being tacky at all.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap. This is what happens when I play FIFA too much, it's always trash kn that franchise for some reason
Input lag is determined by many factors and controller lag is going to be among the least significant. It's going to vary a lot by game/engine, by framerate, and of course display, which could add over 100ms of latency if not configured properly. Compare that to the latency of even the slowest controller and you'll see how significant that is.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

I switched between 360 to PS3 last gen and never really had any issues. the only thing that required somewhat of an adjustment period was switching to Call of Duty on the Playstation. This gen I don't have an Xbox but have has zero issues going back and forth between PS4 and Switch (joy con and pro controller). I feel like that stuff is overblown. People are going to have their preference, and are probably going to be more accustomed to the one they use the most, but the way people dig in on that shit around here is crazy.

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
You'll get adjusted rather quickly, however make no mistake about it the XBO controller can't be beaten in regards to ergonomics, comfort, grip and heft. That's regardless of stick placement.

Interesting! Thanks for the reply. So you think the DS4 is too heavy and not as comfortable as the Xbox One controller?
I guess we'll have to wait and see how the PS5 feels.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
People here seem to hate it but I love it. A great evolution. Gives off an 80s / Mass Effect vibe without being tacky at all.

Nah man, I've been through most pages in this thread and most definitely seem to like the two-tone design. Some who even started out saying they hated it are coming around to it. Personally, I really like it as well. :)

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Interesting! Thanks for the reply. So you think the DS4 is too heavy and not as comfortable as the Xbox One controller?
I guess we'll have to wait and see how the PS5 feels.

You're welcome.

No the PS4 controller is light in weight. It's a fantastic controller and one that grew on me as I never liked PS controllers until the DS4, with the DualSense 1 looking to be even better than that.