• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Hot damn this is awesome

Bless the fan art community

Another one of my faves

EVII0kIUcAA5LO-

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I agree with the people saying that the more you look at this controller the better it starts to look.

I really love that Sony made such big changes to this controller. They could've easily taken the design of the DS4 and make a few little changes and called it a day. After all, most people liked the DS4 apart from the lightbar and battery.

Real props to Sony. Next gen can't come soon enough.
I was excited for new consoles and excited about all the Series X stuff (like the tower design, power etc, but forgot they even had a "new" controller tbh) but… the announcement of the PS5's controller made me realize that in less than a year we're getting an entirely new generation of consoles. Not a more powerful box like the One X or Pro, but like actual, next generation stuff that won't be possible on the current gen consoles.

I'm reeeeeeeally excited they're treating PS5 as a proper generational leap. I think sometimes we forget how big of a jump using a PS3 is compared to using a PS4 (no sleep mode, no background updates, no suspect mode, no DS4, etc). I hope the jump to PS5 is as significant.

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
I was responding to someone suggesting that this controller getting so much attention is sign that people always wanted a two tone controller. The reception to the look of this controller has been mixed to say the least.

The controller is getting so much attention because PlayStation is a huge brand and this is all people have got to talk about right now.

Mixed?

With all the variants and people designing more and more, this is a very positive reaction.

Sony must be rolling in all the free marketing lol

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Every day that passes, the more I love this new controller design. It's so sexy.

Those calling it ugly have no taste ;p

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The problem with eibk is that it doesn't have an superlong lifespan especially if you're changing what's displayed a lot.

Also they're slow to refresh as well.

But honestly that'd be pretty good.
With e-ink, it would be possible to display a keyboard allowing for swipe-style typing. I'm not expecting that to happen of course.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
I was responding to someone suggesting that this controller getting so much attention is sign that people always wanted a two tone controller. The reception to the look of this controller has been mixed to say the least.

The controller is getting so much attention because PlayStation is a huge brand and this is all people have got to talk about right now.
It has most certainly not been mixed. The overwhelming majority love it.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Technically, that's to the headphone jack in the DS5 pic. That's the mic. I think.

If that's the mic then it means we still haven't seen how the jack/extension port line up.

What we really should be looking at is how the bottom profile of the DS5 compares with the DS4. I the same then it could mean the BBA could be compatible. Another thing to consider is how late in the PS4s life the BBA was released. In January 2020. That could have been because they needed to finalize the design the DS5 and ensure cross-compatibility.

But as you can see from the images, BBA's connectors will not align with DS5. A new BBA would have to be made for it.

Another thing that makes me lean towards the BBA being an addon peripheral; it makes little sense for sony to build a controller with it when they know (and "they know" cause they have tested its sales) that people would be willing to spend an additional $30 fo the BBA which probably cost them no more than $10 to make. On one hand, you have the $180 elite controller 2, and the $30 BBA attachment for your free controller or the ~$90 DS5+BBA combo... either way the DS5+BBA comes out looking like a deal.

Oh.... I don't think its a coincidence that the bottom of the DS5 is black. Lastly, lets be real here, if this was something the DS5 has? they would have said so.

Yes, this is true. That said, the cost of incorporating two additional buttons is wholly different from producing an entire peripheral for existing hardware.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Mixed?

With all the variants and people designing more and more, this is a very positive reaction.

Sony must be rolling in all the free marketing lol

It has most certainly not been mixed. The overwhelming majority love it.

Yes, mixed.

On this IGN poll with 27,000 votes, less than 50% chose the positive reaction. Controllers aren't usually this divisive.

www.ign.com

PS5's Controller, the DualSense, Revealed - IGN

Sony has revealed the DualSense, PlayStation 5's new controller.

I think you're misconstruing the popularity of the PlayStation brand as affirmation of the design choices here. To be clear, I'm only talking about the color scheme, which is what I think the negativity is mostly about.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, mixed.

On this IGN poll with 27,000 votes, less than 50% chose the positive reaction. Controllers aren't usually this divisive.

www.ign.com

I think you're misconstruing the popularity of the PlayStation brand as affirmation of the design choices here. To be clear, I'm only talking about the color scheme, which is what I think the negativity is mostly about.

You mean ~80% chose the positive reaction...

8yG01I5.png

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Yes, mixed.

www.ign.com

49.6% Love it
30.1% think it is fine
12.2% don't like it
8.1% prefer DS4

80% positive reception. You don't know what mixed reception is.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, mixed.

www.ign.com

What? Only ~20% seem to have a problem with it.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Yes, mixed.

www.ign.com

49.6% opted for "I love it"
30.1% opted for "It is fine"

That's a 79.7% net positive reaction.

Are you doing Trump era stats?

Mubrik_

Dec 7, 2017
Yes, mixed.

www.ign.com

What? 'less than 50%'

Literally 20.3%

That'ss not divisive in anyways, you have any data to compare to?

The color scheme is a departure from the norm and we've seen in this very thread, there's a very slight dislike at first then people coming around to like it.
it's both the brand and it being a good controller

This is no mixed reception to me.

Last edited:

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also anyone know why the name change? Is something fundamentally changing with this controller beyond the dual color scheme?

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Do you think the designers who worked on this controller and chose its color scheme hoped to get a "its fine" response? lol
considering how different the controller looks, "it's fine" is probably a decent response one could get for it. folks need to come around to it.

like, most of the reactions i'm seeing are "i hated it at first but came around to it". folks just need to get acclimated.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
Why don't we wait until we have more polls in from multiple sources instead of cherry-picking one place to push a narrative on the subjective nature of controller design preference?

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
With this level of statistical interpretation skills I think we've found the next writer for Polygon

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
So I have to love it? Otherwise, I'm negative towards it? "It's fine" is a positive response.
If you read what I said again I didn't claim the response was majority negative, only that it wasn't majority positive. The most reasonable interpretation of "it's fine" would be neutral, not positive.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The controller reception has not been mix it has been positive to okay for most polls .
Some people don't like the color and if that is your biggest issue that is great for Sony since they get to sell more controllers.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, mixed.

www.ign.com

Slightly less than 50% have the absolute positive reaction and only 20% one of the two negative ones (the fact that the poll includes two negative options and only one positive is laughable btw). This means that there are 2.5x more people that love it over those that hate it. Considering the "it's fine" response as a negative one is wrong. It's neutral at worst.

It's clear that 80% of the responders (which obviously includes trolls) approves the design, even if not all them love it.

In any case, controllers are generic and designed to appeal to as many people as possible and that poll clearly reflects it.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If you read what I said again I didn't claim the response was majority negative, only that it wasn't majority positive. The most reasonable interpretation of "it's fine" would be neutral, not positive.

It's positive, but even if you want to consider it neutral, the poll is still overall positive.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Judging from that thread about Dualsense fanart a number of respondents are totally using "it's fine" in a more lewd sense

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
The controller reception has not been mix it has been positive to okay for most polls .
Some people don't like the color and if that is your biggest issue that is great for Sony since they get to sell more controllers.
Yup...I don't think I've ever seen this much fan fare and customization art for any peripheral. Sony better do a solid 2-3 colors at launch, I think video games will be popular again as we embrace a new quarantine life style.

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
It's fine is leaning towards I like something, not in love with it. It's not neutral lol. Neutral is neutral or a "I don't care".

lol @ the marriage comparison.

In general, I'd totally agree. Just in this poll the only option that I could consider anywhere close to neutral, would be "it's fine." So those who are largely neutral would vote for it as the best option.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
What? Only ~20% seem to have a problem with it.
The 8% who say they prefer the DS4 won't all be negative either. I mean, I prefer the DS4 to the Xbox One controller, but that's not me being negative towards the Xbox One controller, which I still consider to be among the best controllers ever made. So the poll is more like ~50% positive, ~30% neutral-leaning-positive, ~12% negative and ~8% who we have no idea are positive or negative because IGN decided to include an unnecessarily awful poll option.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Yup...I don't think I've ever seen this much fan fare and customization art for any peripheral. Sony better do a solid 2-3 colors at launch, I think video games will be popular again as we embrace a new quarantine life style.
The two tone and default color was chosen specifically so people can project their own preferences on it. Sony has got a hit on their hands in terms of peripheral. Sometimes people forget their is a lot of research put into aesthetics, design an color.