• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer C to A for low power stuff actually. Good luck finding 5/6 port usb chargers with more than two C ports.
Just thinking about traveling with ton of usb C devices and what a nightmare would be with only C to C cables.
We're talking long term here. As A ports disappear, more C port adapter devices, be they hubs, splitters, and so on, will appear. Especially if we get more devices with primarily only C ports.

A is dying, the sooner it's dead, the better we'll be.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
The Vita D-Pad did stick out of the handheld as a single cross though. This D-Pad sits within the controller like on previous controllers with empty space between the different directions rather than the cross. The D-Pad could still possibly have the Vita D-Pad's iconic clickiness since I don't think that was due to the cross design, but we'll have to get our hands them to find out.

I should have specified: "anything different that would indicate there are lights under the buttons to illuminate them"***

souppboy

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but think about how all of this stuff is gonna raise the price of the controller and eventually go the way of the TouchPad on the dualshock 4. I'm skeptical to say the least but as someone who goes back and forth from PC to PS4, I can't say that I want more vibration from the controller.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but think about how all of this stuff is gonna raise the price of the controller and eventually go the way of the TouchPad on the dualshock 4. I'm skeptical to say the least but as someone who goes back and forth from PC to PS4, I can't say that I want more vibration from the controller.
By "go the way of the touchpad" do you mean keeping support for it?

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon

It's not "more vibration." Haptics are a lot more advanced than that and have legitimate implications for gameplay. It's also not the same as the touch pad, which is an input method.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking, like rumble, vibration is just there, only thing we have to do is enable or disable it.

If devs do that with the triggers, it will be there, in many games.

The touch pad requires us to interact with it....haptics, vibration don't.

It's not "more vibration." Haptics are a lot more advanced than that and have legitimate implications for gameplay. It's also not the same as the touch pad, which is an input method.
Basically this.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Here you go!

49750134426_81df8161a6_h.jpg

49749643903_b730a51b2a_h.jpg

49750151511_81fb91038e_h.jpg

Thank you!

Alternative white
49750136136_1583dd8df7_h.jpg
hmmmggggggggg, very nice!

souppboy

Oct 25, 2017
I've been thinking, like rumble, vibration is just there, only thing we have to do is enable or disable it.

If devs do that with the triggers, it will be there, in many games.

The touch pad requires us to interact with it....haptics, vibration don't.

Basically this.

I understand "more rumble" is derivative of the technology. And you're correct that its not forcing you to interact with it like the TouchPad. Its going to be interesting to see how the technology evolves and how it hits the price point of the controller and how many people utilize it or turn it off. That launch I think will influence the development time allotted to tuning these features and whether they become standard or not.

HD rumble is seemingly abandoned at this stage of the Switches life cycle.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This one looks so good. The design fits Overwatch so well!

EVHU59QU4AA2Lsz

twitter.com

boomer puncher on Twitter

“@OverwatchBrasil Ei, @OverwatchBrasil, dá uma olhada no meu design para o controle do PS5 com tema do Overwatch 2 ♥”

Jun 23, 2019
You know the funny thing? You know the Sony team is scouring the Internet looking at all these mockups and seeing which ones they can use. Let the public do your work for you. Genius.

Feb 23, 2019
I love it. So there's at least one person.

I think there are so many fan mockups because people are excited about the possibilities given the more modular/exoskeleton-looking design.

Yup I love the default option

Looks like Space Age tech, like something releasing in the year 2020

Can't wait to see the matching console design

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
You know the funny thing? You know the Sony team is scouring the Internet looking at all these mockups and seeing which ones they can use. Let the public do your work for you. Genius.
Or they just let gadget skin companies allow customers to skin their own controller and console. If the controller looks this good with different skins, can you imagine the box? What a selling point. Same for Xbox Series X's box since it has a lot of flat real estate. Though that touch pad on the DualSense is prime space for something unique.

I never got around to skinning my Steam Controllers, but I may just do it for DualSense.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Or they just let gadget skin companies allow customers to skin their own controller and console. If the controller looks this good with different skins, can you imagine the box? What a selling point. Same for Xbox Series X's box since it has a lot of flat real estate. Though that touch pad on the DualSense is prime space for something unique.

I never got around to skinning my Steam Controllers, but I may just do it for DualSense.
Nah they need something similar to Xbox labs. That will be really dope.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
anyone have a mockup with it being the original but a black touchpad and white dpad/buttons with colored symbols?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
headphone jack makes me insanely happy

thank you sony......

also thank you microsoft for legacy support which means both consoles support it!

So glad we at least have another 5-6 years of headphone jack support for headsets!!!!

edit: its funny how the basic white and only official mockup is the worst looking version of that controller

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Given the more curved/radical design of the DS5, I have a feeling it's a possibility we might see a more refined, cleaned up, sleeker version of the "V" shaped dev kits we've seen floating around.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised how much I like the design. The default color isn't my favorite, but if they make one in black I'll love it. I'm also super happy they kept the audio jack, so all in all it seems like a pretty solid evolution of the PS4 controller.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
That video in particular seems to be getting a lot of clicks because the thumbnail makes it look like he actually has the controller because he photoshopped it into his hand. I'd imagine that combined with the inaccuracies are why it has so many downvotes.
That thumbnail is why I clicked on it and got jebaited.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Yeah, all of the disdain for the controller seems to simply stem from the color choices, which baffles me. I understand prefering the other colored designs but actively disliking the official one seems strange. Either way, this proves that they've nailed the physical design and the official variations are gonna sell like crazy.
Call me crazy, but I think sony should just take three color schemes of the controller and set a poll and have their audience decide which color they should go for.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
So if given the choice between an all black or all white version, you'd choose this?
I would. I love the black and white combination. Makes me way more excited to see the console new design which i hope is also white with black details. All black would look good too, but since the PS2 that all my consoles and controllers have been all black so im embracing the change. Even my recent DualShock4 i already bought it dual colored cuz getting bored of the all black look.

Last edited:

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
Call me crazy, but I think sony should just take three color schemes of the controller and set a poll and have their audience decide which color they should go for.

Nah, they're going for a specific look. Otherwise the console's gonna have to follow suit and future PSVRs might have to adopt that color scheme. Or they'll just have a bunch of differently colored hardware and accessories. That'd be a complete mess.

Oct 28, 2017
People getting salty about the color as if we're got gonna get pure black, purple, gold, clear red/blue, sometime in the first 2 years. We will get there.

Not gonna lie tho, glad to see they're trying something different design wise. I wanna feel like I'm playing with the future. (That said, I also appreciate Msofts iterative approach.)