• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

•79•

Banned
Sep 22, 2018
South West London, UK
You could gently ease the resistance in a signature curve as the ammo approaches empty, rather than a hard cut-off, to give the user a chance to reload. Other indicators could be helpful there too.

That said, vibrating the trigger might be possible a by product of the trigger implementation in that patent filing linked to earlier - that is, if it's a mechanism involving a movable stopper. It talks about oscillating the stopper between two locations behind the trigger pad at a very high frequency, to basically 'tap' the back of the trigger pad and impart vibration on it.

But this is why Sony should really - and hopefully will soon - fully explain and demonstrate the triggers. We're kind of left to speculate based on how the implementation might work, and some possibilities may be more or less likely depending on certain subtleties of the implementation (e.g. whether the stopper is actually movable, lockable at a given location along the trigger's arc etc)

If the stopper behind the trigger is movable and lockable, you could use it to impart spatial information in things like sword play too. Vary the travel distance depending on the distance to the surface you are striking to give you extra spatial cues. Impart high resistance initially, then 'let go' and let the trigger slip to its furthest point when you've 'cut through' the target, etc. Or have no stop on the trigger's travel when you miss hitting anything (i.e. cut your sword through thin air, swing and miss).

There are lots of possibilities potentially, depending on the mechanism.
Yeah this all sounds fascinating. I await some in-depth videos on this and other aspects of PS5 like how the SSD relates to game design and OS design.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I hope sony is taking note....

what this thread proves is that there is a massive market for a"design your own controller" type feature with the PS5. AndIamguessing people would be more than willing to pay an additional$10-$20 premium for the luxury.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I like the design but the colour scheme though....

I can't help seeing a bodybuilder wearing suspenders (the blue bit) who is standing with legs wide apart.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
If what we read is to be believe it would be different. For instance, the DualSense, like the example given of shooting an arrow in a game allows the controller to add resistance to the R2 button press so as you press down on R2 it becomes harder to push down after a certain point to mimic the sensation of pulling the bows cord to its maximum length.

It's pretty cool to think about the possibility! In a FPS, you can "jam" the trigger like a real gun for gameplay or story telling purposes or be able to push down just on the R2 to a certain point to put up sights and hard push to fire the weapon in use.

I feel like it's more similar to tech in racing wheels that allow it to feel more like a legit steering wheel.
I fear this may end a gimmick if this is what they will push.

How are any of your examples positive for gaming in the long run. I sincerely fell a bunch of people will complain if some rumble/feeedback jams their R2 trigger.

I loved it in Forza and how you could "feel" the car but overall I bet only first party title may use it to its full extent and even then they might stop using it. Just like the touch, speakers etc.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I hope sony is taking note....

what this thread proves is that there is a massive market for a"design your own controller" type feature with the PS5. AndIamguessing people would be more than willing to pay an additional$10-$20 premium for the luxury.

To be honest I would rather them release a DualSense Pro/Elite controller with swappable analog sticks, D-Pad, paddles, custom button mapping profiles, etc.

Or both, I guess. There's still a lot I feel they need to do in the controller space.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
The risk of these features ending up as a gimmick or under-used is imo - pretty high. After all, even something basic like the touchpad on PS4 is largely utilized poorly as oversized buttons and not even swipe functions.

But they're there - and fingers crossed there's things that the industry can congregate on as good practices and nice-to-haves.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Quick and dirty mock up of the controller I really want.

aDUfELb.png

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
ive always preferred the dual shock handles vs xbox, but its not a really big deal...

seems fine to me. its a little... shocking... they finally went in this direction, otherwise

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
If what we read is to be believe it would be different. For instance, the DualSense, like the example given of shooting an arrow in a game allows the controller to add resistance to the R2 button press so as you press down on R2 it becomes harder to push down after a certain point to mimic the sensation of pulling the bows cord to its maximum length.

It's pretty cool to think about the possibility! In a FPS, you can "jam" the trigger like a real gun for gameplay or story telling purposes or be able to push down just on the R2 to a certain point to put up sights and hard push to fire the weapon in use.

I feel like it's more similar to tech in racing wheels that allow it to feel more like a legit steering wheel.

I can't see this being used outside of first party games though. And honestly, in a third party multiplayer shooter the last thing I would want would be variable trigger resistances for all the guns I'm using in a match while my opponents can just normally pull the trigger on their controllers.

This kind of thing would be cool though in single player first party games.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone with the skills just create a website where we can customise every part of this controller to create our own designs. Have dark buttons, light buttons, coloured buttons etc. Give us it!!!

Edit: And for the love of god please show me this version!
3-sunset-orange-ps4-controller-3-1581369386243.jpg
rj5yFx6.png

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I fear this may end a gimmick if this is what they will push.

How are any of your examples positive for gaming in the long run. I sincerely fell a bunch of people will complain if some rumble/feeedback jams their R2 trigger.

I loved it in Forza and how you could "feel" the car but overall I bet only first party title may use it to its full extent and even then they might stop using it. Just like the touch, speakers etc.
Hehe... lack of imagination my friend...

• Ammo counter. The trigger can totally lock up simulate running out of ammo in games where you have a gun and don't want an onscreen bullet counter. Imagine holding the trigger down when using an automatic weapon and it snaps back up when you are out of ammo. Haptic vibration can been simulate how much ammo you have in ur clip by how low in the controller the vibration is at.
  • Lock picking. The resistance of the trigger can increase indicating you are blunt to snap your lock, then the haptic feedback would let you know which direction to align your stick to, the trigger resistance reduces again and you can continue pressing it down. the lock opens when it's fully depressed.
  • Racing games. The Brake trigger wouldn't be generally stiffer than the gas pedal. That alone is worth it.
And I haven't even used the bow thingy they keep saying. These aren't things that would be gimmicks, they are things that once done in one gam would become the norm in every game on the PS5. With similar mechanics. Cause they actually enhance the gameplay experience and aren't just some"nice to have" feature.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
For some reason this screams "Metal Gear Solid 1 on PSX" to me. Very want.

That's the idea! Haha. Would love a controller that's closer to the PS1 / PS4 Anniversary color scheme. I bought two of those for PS4 day one, and I rarely use them because I don't want them to get worn out.

Would buy four of them for PS5 (provided the global economy isn't in the shitter and I have any money at all).

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I'm loving the hype a simple controller reveal has garnered. Such a feel good factor around the world regarding PlayStation.

On another note I imagine they'll offer a classic dualshock at some point.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
You'd think thing was a wiimote by the reaction. It looks perfectly fine and not that different from an the PS4 controller. Obviously I have on idea how it feels in my hands though, and that is the most important thing.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I've never felt any difference between the two setups.

I prefer symmetrical, but my reasons are that I don't like my thumb always being "extended" if it's job is to constantly be moving around.

IE: if I press up and to the right (northeast) on the left stick, i will be fully extending my thumb and i don't like that. i want it to always be close to my hand as possible so i can have as much control over the stick as possible. the Wii U pro controller made things extra difficult because both sticks were up high. a shooter would have been frustrating.

This will all depend on the size and shape of people's hands so I'm likely in the minority, but that's okay. Sony's still sticking to their guns so I'm happy.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
It looks so much more comfortable than previous iterations. I am a fan of it taking a few cues from other controllers in overall design.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like back buttons would have been mentioned alongside the new triggers and haptics. That's a pretty major change to the controller and I doubt they'd just not mention it.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Does it really matter that much? I've jumped between the PS and Xbox controllers for a decade now and it makes little to no difference and takes about 30 seconds to make the switch, if that.

It's always seemed bizarre to me,, I can pick up and swap between Switch Pro, XB1, DS4, arcade stick, trackball, SNES pad - even mouse and keys, no problem. The amount of different controllers I've been through in 45+ years of gaming, adjusted easily, and still can (yes, even a Bug controller!) it just seems weird that people are stuck on where the sticks are.

It must mean for some that can't adapt, or have a huge dislike for one or the other, that the d-pads on (on their favourite, DS4 or XB) are unusable to them?

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I like the controller. The colour scheme matches my PC case 👀
The battery though. I really hope they put a better battery in this one.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
It's always seemed bizarre to me,, I can pick up and swap between Switch Pro, XB1, DS4, arcade stick, trackball, SNES pad - even mouse and keys, no problem. The amount of different controllers I've been through in 45+ years of gaming, adjusted easily, and still can (yes, even a Bug controller!) it just seems weird that people are stuck on where the sticks are.

It must mean for some that can't adapt, or have a huge dislike for one or the other, that the d-pads on (on their favourite, DS4 or XB) are unusable to them?
Some brain wrinkles solidify like cement after their hands grasp their first controller design, it is known.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Some brain wrinkles solidify like cement after their hands grasp their first controller design, it is known.
As does apparently people's need to claim one design is better than the other. It's tired.

Honestly, it's trivial stuff like this that gets in the way of controller innovation. If people can't even get beyond sticks being put is slightly different positions, there's little chance more interesting things will take off.

Deadlast

Oct 27, 2017
If we're getting a glacier controller out the gate, does that mean we're getting a glacier console as well?