• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It would be cool if they had a design it yourself program. Why wait years for Sony to come up with a design you like.
Bowie_Keyart_Hori_RGB_Final.jpg
I would love this, and it would be the first time I would personally invest money int a custom controller.

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know what PC architecture means to you guys, but in terms of traditional definitions, computer architecture refers to:
System Design - Hardware such as CPU, data processors, multiprocessors, memory controllers, and direct memory access.
Instruction Sets - The CPU's functions and capabilities, the CPU's programming language, data formats, processor register types and instructions used by computer programmers.
Micro-architecture - Data processing and storage element or data paths and how they should be implemented into the instruction set architecture.

A high-end PC would be comprised of architecture that is tuned to achieve superior performance, from both a hardware and software perspective. Using the term "supercharged" in regards to your architecture infers that performance will also be superior, which means that both hardware and software are in a position to achieve such results.

Of course, in terms of raw power we know that this statement was a PR maneuver as no such thing could be legitimately claimed in the same year that the GTX 780 Ti launched.

This is neither here nor there however.
This is some next level mental gymnastics. An 8 core 1.6GHz Jaguar PC using a standard RAM pool with a standard 7850HD attached to it wouldn't perform as well as a PS4 because it doesn't have unified GDDR5 with two separate buses nor the extra ACEs. That's all that "supercharged" means. I don't even feel like addressing the rest of the post in detail because it's both wrong (writing "CPU's programming language" and "instructions used by computer programmers" subtly implies you don't really know what a programming language is and what an ISA is) and petty - the bolded is very jarring to read because it condemns a "PR maneuver" that exists solely in your head; that phrase was never used in Sony marketing - it's just in that slide, with all of the context needed to understand it.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed the ds4 was two toned too. Ive just have had black and og ps controllers for so long i forgot

Oct 28, 2017
Yep that'd be a great use. A few additional ideas:
  • Varying tension to illustrate different stages of weapon degradation
  • Trigger lock to represent jams within a ranged weapon (generally a gun)
  • Different levels of tension to simulate the different draw weights of bows (eg: HZD had three classes of bows that traded between speed and damage)
  • Differing levels of resistance (varying by tiny amount) to provide a sense of grip between tire and the road with no resistance when there is no sudden grip.

What about in First Person Shooters, when you press say, L2 to aim down the sites, there is more tension depending on the size of the gun. So a pistol, you press to aim down the sites there is near no tension because the weapon is lighter. However, with a huge machine gun, the tension would be much greater to aim down the sites cause the gun is much heavier.

Qash_effect

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
I actually really like it. I did not really like the first pic I saw of it. It looked slightly cheap and square-ish...like not the stylish design sony are known for but then when I saw it from the angle when it's basically sitting down, I just loved it. I usually prefer the all black controller too but I prefer the two tone black and white with the blue lighting as opposed to the all black mock ups shown on here too. And from close up it looks pretty classy and forward thinking. I like it! Only thing I would have liked to have seen is the coloured playstation logo and some sort of lighting to represent the buttons as always but looks awesome as far as I am concerned! I hope the console looks amazing!

Joo

May 25, 2018
I really don't and I won't buy one until I see it myself. Good thing is there's many many months for a full hardware reveal before release and I will have seen what I want to see I suspect before launch day. Still I'm sure you would have loved a 360 degrees shot of the controller that you in your own time, could have a good look at it today from any angle that would please you. That's not asking a lot, many products on websites have this option for viewing an item.

Well the great thing is that you will definitely see the controller before you can buy it, so a non-issue really. Of course nothing should be blindly pre-ordered and all I'm saying that you can rest easy, the headphone jack is included.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
What about in First Person Shooters, when you press say, L2 to aim down the sites, there is more tension depending on the size of the gun. So a pistol, you press to aim down the sites there is near no tension because the weapon is lighter. However, with a huge machine gun, the tension would be much greater to aim down the sites cause the gun is much heavier.
Not just that, but the triggers could literally give you feedback with this, so you feel the recoil of every round

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
With the Playstation Triggers having the adjustable tension, I really liked the example someone used when that feature was leaked a while ago. Many people seem to keep saying "They are just like the Xbox's Rumble Trigger" But the features are totally different. The Xbox Triggers allow you to feel vibration specific to the trigger buttons. We dont know if they PS5 has anything like that at all to this point.

However, the PS5 triggers offer customizeable resistance (as many have already said). Meaning, how hard or easy it is to press in on the trigger buttons can be customized for developers. Anyways, the example shared before that sounded pretty cool was imagine a game like COD Warzone (many are playing it right now). When you pull the trigger to fire your weapon, there may be a resistance to the trigger that tries to replicate firing a real weapon. However, when you run out of bullets, the trigger has no resistance at all, it is easily pressed with no resistance. You would immediately know you are out of bullets cause the trigger would be "spongy or loose" in a sense. You wouldn't need any on screen animations or huds to tell you that you are out of bullets (even though I am sure there would be) you could simply feel you are out of bullets.

That is just one example of how this could be used, and it sounds pretty cool to me.
Yup, the first thing I thought about with this is using guns in games.

Maybe using a revolver the triggers will feel different vs a SMG.

jakob ben-oni

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what PC architecture means to you guys, but in terms of traditional definitions, computer architecture refers to:
System Design - Hardware such as CPU, data processors, multiprocessors, memory controllers, and direct memory access.
Instruction Sets - The CPU's functions and capabilities, the CPU's programming language, data formats, processor register types and instructions used by computer programmers.
Micro-architecture - Data processing and storage element or data paths and how they should be implemented into the instruction set architecture.

A high-end PC would be comprised of architecture that is tuned to achieve superior performance, from both a hardware and software perspective. Using the term "supercharged" in regards to your architecture infers that performance will also be superior, which means that both hardware and software are in a position to achieve such results.

Of course, in terms of raw power we know that this statement was a PR maneuver as no such thing could be legitimately claimed in the same year that the GTX 780 Ti launched.

This is neither here nor there however.

supercharged is an auto term and you can supercharge a 20 year old 1.6 liter engine with a leaf blower, nothing at all to do with 'high end' or absolute performance.

An honest reading of the statement is 'ps4 has regular pc parts with custom additions that make it perform better than a similar spec pc.' Cerney explains exactly what it means here: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php

The guy is not a liar.

Saberus

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver, BC

Or a shot gun, you would feel slight movement on the trigger when you pump and large tension on fire and recoil.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
The tension in the triggers things sounds really cool but it's something I really need to try before I "get it".

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
supercharged is an auto term and you can supercharge a 20 year old 1.6 liter engine with a leaf blower, nothing at all to do with 'high end' or absolute performance.

An honest reading of the statement is 'ps4 has regular pc parts with custom additions that make it perform better than a similar spec pc.' Cerney explains exactly what it means here: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php

The guy is not a liar.
I never called him a liar. You don't have to lie to paint your product in the best possible light. Hence, marketing. But thanks for that link, I'll read through it.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I wonder with the adaptive triggers if developers can set the travel to effectively mimic digital inputs like the rest of the face buttons and L1 and R1? I'm thinking primarily of fighting games and character action games where analog input is unnecessary.
So pretty much all games that are racing games? Because I can't think of a whole lot of anything else where analog triggers make any sense.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
With the Playstation Triggers having the adjustable tension, I really liked the example someone used when that feature was leaked a while ago. Many people seem to keep saying "They are just like the Xbox's Rumble Trigger" But the features are totally different. The Xbox Triggers allow you to feel vibration specific to the trigger buttons. We dont know if they PS5 has anything like that at all to this point.

However, the PS5 triggers offer customizeable resistance (as many have already said). Meaning, how hard or easy it is to press in on the trigger buttons can be customized for developers. Anyways, the example shared before that sounded pretty cool was imagine a game like COD Warzone (many are playing it right now). When you pull the trigger to fire your weapon, there may be a resistance to the trigger that tries to replicate firing a real weapon. However, when you run out of bullets, the trigger has no resistance at all, it is easily pressed with no resistance. You would immediately know you are out of bullets cause the trigger would be "spongy or loose" in a sense. You wouldn't need any on screen animations or huds to tell you that you are out of bullets (even though I am sure there would be) you could simply feel you are out of bullets.

That is just one example of how this could be used, and it sounds pretty cool to me.
That's one case I think the rumble triggers would actually be better. In gears for instance the trigger start rumbling when you are running out of bullets, and you get used to reloading it right as you run out.

I like the idea of simulation a resistance of a bow for example, but since they are increasing the resistance how would it work out? In games they usually simulate this by having a time mechanic where you wait for the char to pull the string, but on this since you are already increasing the resistance I don't think it would work. The player would want to fire right away. But a simple change like that can completely throw off the balance, specially in mp games (as I imagine that for accessibility reasons the feature will be able to be turned off)

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
This is some next level mental gymnastics. An 8 core 1.6GHz Jaguar PC using a standard RAM pool with a standard 7850HD attached to it wouldn't perform as well as a PS4 because it doesn't have unified GDDR5 with two separate buses nor the extra ACEs. That's all that "supercharged" means. I don't even feel like addressing the rest of the post in detail because it's both wrong (writing "CPU's programming language" and "instructions used by computer programmers" subtly implies you don't really know what a programming language is and what an ISA is) and petty - the bolded is very jarring to read because it condemns a "PR maneuver" that exists solely in your head; that phrase was never used in Sony marketing - it's just in that slide, with all of the context needed to understand it.
You know what, this was well-argued. I concede to your points. You at least took the time to actually attack my argument and I respect that.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Not just that, but the triggers could literally give you feedback with this, so you feel the recoil of every round
giphy.gif

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

The guy is not a liar.
I've never read this before, so thanks for the post, will ready later.

And I agree about an honest reading.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine in an RE game when you're surrounded by zombies and your gun locks up. No more trigger pull until you do 'X' thing.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR

You can also use the example of a racing game, in which the brake trigger would be harder to pull than the throttle one.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
The tension in the triggers things sounds really cool but it's something I really need to try before I "get it".
I'm sure they have tested this feature to death, but I wonder about the durability of such a feature. Moderate finger strength would easily overwhelm the motor system providing the resistance on the triggers.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Those colored buttons are iconic
I'm kinda sad that Sony is ditching the colors in favor of Black & White. We are approaching a point where newer generations don't know that the PS logo used to be colored. Now they're hiding the PS button with the same color as the background and ditching the colored buttons. I hate minimalistic in this.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any interesting articles or tweets from developers talking about the controller or giving their own impressions?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
That's one case I think the rumble triggers would actually be better. In gears for instance the trigger start rumbling when you are running out of bullets, and you get used to reloading it right as you run out.

I like the idea of simulation a resistance of a bow for example, but since they are increasing the resistance how would it work out? In games they usually simulate this by having a time mechanic where you wait for the char to pull the string, but on this since you are already increasing the resistance I don't think it would work. The player would want to fire right away. But a simple change like that can completely throw off the balance, specially in mp games (as I imagine that for accessibility reasons the feature will be able to be turned off)

You could gently ease the resistance in a signature curve as the ammo approaches empty, rather than a hard cut-off, to give the user a chance to reload. Other indicators could be helpful there too.

That said, vibrating the trigger might be a possible by-product of the trigger implementation in that patent filing linked to earlier - that is, if it's a mechanism involving a movable stopper. It talks about oscillating the stopper between two locations behind the trigger pad at a very high frequency, to basically 'tap' the back of the trigger pad and impart vibration on it.

But this is why Sony should really - and hopefully will soon - fully explain and demonstrate the triggers. We're kind of left to speculate based on how the implementation might work, and some possibilities may be more or less likely depending on certain subtleties of the implementation (e.g. whether the stopper is actually movable, lockable at a given location along the trigger's arc etc)

There's been some speculation already about those adaptive triggers being useful for Third and First Person Shooters. Trigger tension as useful feedback for the player regarding ammo amount and type.

If the stopper behind the trigger is movable and lockable, you could use it to impart spatial information in things like sword play too. Vary the travel distance depending on the distance to the surface you are striking to give you extra spatial cues. Impart high resistance initially, then 'let go' and let the trigger slip to its furthest point when you've 'cut through' the target, etc. Or have no stop on the trigger's travel when you miss hitting anything (i.e. cut your sword through thin air, swing and miss).

There are lots of possibilities potentially, depending on the mechanism.

Last edited:

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
You could have it so that you pull back the trigger as normal but there's a progressive pull against your finger as the onscreen character draws back to simulate that tension.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Hmm, now that I think about it, there are no pictures of the back. Could some back buttons/paddles be hiding there and waiting for another reveal?

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Remember that touch pad almost nobody uses? We made it bigger!

Seems fine to me though. Looks like a slightly more comfortable DS4 which I already liked a lot. I just hope they fix their build quality this time around. Not 3 months into owning the newer DS4 model and both sticks started drifting. I got through one game before it all went to shit.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I think it is possible. To release an accessory so late in the PS4s life and NOT make it compatible with the next controller seems like a weird move.
I'm almost positive it won't work, lol. It's literally shaped to the DS4s body, and this looks to be shaped pretty differently. Not gonna work.

ukas

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone with the skills just create a website where we can customise every part of this controller to create our own designs. Have dark buttons, light buttons, coloured buttons etc. Give us it!!!

Edit: And for the love of god please show me this version!
3-sunset-orange-ps4-controller-3-1581369386243.jpg
My favorite controller color. I have two of them.