• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
These are amazing. But no Icaras, no sale.
3nwsgYn.png

:*

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Can someone with the skills just create a website where we can customise every part of this controller to create our own designs. Have dark buttons, light buttons, coloured buttons etc. Give us it!!!

Edit: And for the love of god please show me this version!
3-sunset-orange-ps4-controller-3-1581369386243.jpg

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can see it another way and this was smart from Sony as they're being told straight from consumers what color schemes they'd love to see. For free.

I think it's smart in that the base design is very much like the bmw i8 and as other's have mentioned eve from wall-e, however it's obviously inspiring all these colour schemes and other designs for some reason - perhaps because it's a good design in itself?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Looks amazing! Not a radical change from the previous one,
it just fits in your hand.

There was comparative gif that was posted before. Suffice it to say, they have adopted a slightly larger handgrip segment akin to Switch Pro, Xbox One and Steam Controller. It is a convergence in design that based on ergonomic requirement of the Average.

As an avid DS4 and Xbone controller user, I have always found the Xbone controller to be more comfortable over time because it never cramped up my palm because almost all my fingers would wrap around the controller unlike DS3/4 where I'd be gripping the controller without my pinkies. DS5 looks to remedy that issue.

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
Cant believe all the hate, I actually think its a nice redesign. Not too wildly ifferent but definitely a nice change.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Confirmed by the Playstation product manager on twitter.

Credit to Bundy for making me aware of it.

EDIT: For those doubting the authenticity of the account, I really don't think Shuhei Yoshida would follow an imposter:

Don't know why there was doubt for this. Just not pictured, since we can't see the underside. this is where the AUX port would be as well for accessories.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
It really doesn't. The former has performance implications, the second only implies improvements to the architecture.
Not really...

Back in high school my buddy put a supercharger in his old Mustang. It did not make that Mustang high-end.
I don't know what PC architecture means to you guys, but in terms of traditional definitions, computer architecture refers to:
System Design - Hardware such as CPU, data processors, multiprocessors, memory controllers, and direct memory access.
Instruction Sets - The CPU's functions and capabilities, the CPU's programming language, data formats, processor register types and instructions used by computer programmers.
Micro-architecture - Data processing and storage element or data paths and how they should be implemented into the instruction set architecture.

A high-end PC would be comprised of architecture that is tuned to achieve superior performance, from both a hardware and software perspective. Using the term "supercharged" in regards to your architecture infers that performance will also be superior, which means that both hardware and software are in a position to achieve such results.

Of course, in terms of raw power we know that this statement was a PR maneuver as no such thing could be legitimately claimed in the same year that the GTX 780 Ti launched.

This is neither here nor there however.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't know what PC architecture means to you guys, but in terms of traditional definitions, computer architecture refers to:
System Design - Hardware such as CPU, data processors, multiprocessors, memory controllers, and direct memory access.
Instruction Sets - The CPU's functions and capabilities, the CPU's programming language, data formats, processor register types and instructions used by computer programmers.
Micro-architecture - Data processing and storage element or data paths and how they should be implemented into the instruction set architecture.

A high-end PC would be comprised of architecture that is tuned to achieve superior performance, from both a hardware and software perspective. Using the term "supercharged" in regards to your architecture infers that performance will also be superior, which means that both hardware and software are in a position to achieve such results.

Of course, in terms of raw power we know that this statement was a PR maneuver as no such thing could be legitimately claimed in the same year that the GTX 780 Ti launched.

You misinterpreting what Cerny said doesn't mean they were talking nonsense. Case closed.

Oct 28, 2017
With the Playstation Triggers having the adjustable tension, I really liked the example someone used when that feature was leaked a while ago. Many people seem to keep saying "They are just like the Xbox's Rumble Trigger" But the features are totally different. The Xbox Triggers allow you to feel vibration specific to the trigger buttons. We dont know if they PS5 has anything like that at all to this point.

However, the PS5 triggers offer customizeable resistance (as many have already said). Meaning, how hard or easy it is to press in on the trigger buttons can be customized for developers. Anyways, the example shared before that sounded pretty cool was imagine a game like COD Warzone (many are playing it right now). When you pull the trigger to fire your weapon, there may be a resistance to the trigger that tries to replicate firing a real weapon. However, when you run out of bullets, the trigger has no resistance at all, it is easily pressed with no resistance. You would immediately know you are out of bullets cause the trigger would be "spongy or loose" in a sense. You wouldn't need any on screen animations or huds to tell you that you are out of bullets (even though I am sure there would be) you could simply feel you are out of bullets.

That is just one example of how this could be used, and it sounds pretty cool to me.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With the Playstation Triggers having the adjustable tension, I really liked the example someone used when that feature was leaked a while ago. Many people seem to keep saying "They are just like the Xbox's Rumble Trigger" But the features are totally different. The Xbox Triggers allow you to feel vibration specific to the trigger buttons. We dont know if they PS5 has anything like that at all to this point.

However, the PS5 triggers offer customizeable resistance (as many have already said). Meaning, how hard or easy it is to press in on the trigger buttons can be customized for developers. Anyways, the example shared before that sounded pretty cool was imagine a game like COD Warzone (many are playing it right now). When you pull the trigger to fire your weapon, there may be a resistance to the trigger that tries to replicate firing a real weapon. However, when you run out of bullets, the trigger has no resistance at all, it is easily pressed with no resistance. You would immediately know you are out of bullets cause the trigger would be "spongy or loose" in a sense. You wouldn't need any on screen animations or huds to tell you that you are out of bullets (even though I am sure there would be) you could simply feel you are out of bullets.

That is just one example of how this could be used, and it sounds pretty cool to me.
Pulling the string on a bow for a more powerful shot taking more tension. Horizon would make excellent use of this, or God of War's cleave move with the Leviathan Axe.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017

Finger blasters unite. our time to shine is almost here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I think it's smart in that the base design is very much like the bmw i8 and as other's have mentioned eve from wall-e, however it's obviously inspiring all these colour schemes and other designs for some reason - perhaps because it's a good design in itself?
I actually really like the design they revealed, I'm glad it's somewhat of a departure from the DualShock as we know it. All these fan-designed color schemes are great to see.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like something out of Killzone Shadowfall 😂
Would prefer a simple black color scheme gor the living room.

Oct 25, 2017

System Architecture is how things are arranged, not necessarily their capabilities. The PS4 was based on x86 so in that sense it was a PC architecture, but because they weren't making a general use PC, they could design in specific efficiencies for what they wanted to accomplish. Things like a unified ram pool. Those changes do not automatically make it better or equivalent to a high-end PC; they just make it better than it would be without those changes.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
The design funny enough reminds me of Ludens:

kojima_productions_ludens.0.0.jpg

And Ludens means play so..

I just wanna feel this in my hands already. If it's as comfy as DS4 that would be perfect.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Yep that'd be a great use. A few additional ideas:
  • Varying tension to illustrate different stages of weapon degradation
  • Trigger lock to represent jams within a ranged weapon (generally a gun)
  • Different levels of tension to simulate the different draw weights of bows (eg: HZD had three classes of bows that traded between speed and damage)
  • Differing levels of resistance (varying by tiny amount) to provide a sense of grip between tire and the road with no resistance when there is no sudden grip.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It looks incredibly sterile and ugly. I really wish gaming companies weren't so embarrassed by the fact that they make toys.