• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LKznCkc.png

like this?
FarLastingGalapagosdove-max-1mb.gif

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I was on board before seeing the mockups (White/black two tone looks really cool to me), but after seeing these and imagining the possibilities i'm hype.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
That's only possible if VCA is around the whole controller or next to the buttons/stick, right?

With the traditional location of where those motors are -it'll be near the edge of the grips.

Not necessarily, no. It's basically a feature of vibration modes and how they propagate through materials, coupled with destructive interference. By tuning the phase of each VCA cycle, they can alter how vibration modes interfere with each other and where they add up. This kind of stuff is pretty big in acoustics (think an acoustic guitar), but the same ideas apply here.

This video kinda shows the idea, but using only one source and audible frequencies. The places where the salt pools are not vibrating.

The further apart the resonant sources are, the more resolution you get, actually, so having them at the edge of the grips is a good spot.

The adaptive triggers are like the triggers in the xbox one controller?

Nope, entirely different mechanism. XONE controller is rumble, this is more like force feedback.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
So weird showing the pad before the console, IMHO.

They did the same thing with the PS4. The reason they do it, is because the controller has many new improvements and features that need to talk about. This time, even a name change.

PS4: Touchpad, Share button, Lightbar, digital buttons
PS5: Name change, haptic feedback, pressure triggers, create button, two-tone colors.

EchoChamber

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Better. They can change tension on the fly.

Oh wow that's the kind of changes I want in a controller, unlike the xbox series x
Not necessarily, no. It's basically a feature of vibration modes and how they propagate through materials, coupled with destructive interference. By tuning the phase of each VCA cycle, they can alter how vibration modes interfere with each other and where they add up. This kind of stuff is pretty big in acoustics (think an acoustic guitar), but the same ideas apply here.

The further apart the resonant sources are, the more resolution you get, actually, so having them at the edge of the grips is a good spot.

Nope, entirely different mechanism. XONE controller is rumble, this is more like force feedback.

This controller is more exciting than the series x one, it looks weird but at least tries to innovate.

Jul 26, 2019
Can someone tell me why almost every single fan revision of this controller looks better than the one Sony went with?
I actually like this one. It's looking very sharp.

Although for me it's that the two-tone makes a strange outline where the analogue sticks are.
That black and white is very nice. Very curious how this is gonna feel in the hands, and weight and stuff.

These are looking pretty good, especially the last inverted one!!

Thanks! I liked the gamepad, split color design makes working on mockups very much fun. Your mockups are very good too VivekTO.

These are quite good and look like officials that Sony would release.

I tried to use same principle that Sony used for the DS4 alternative colors. Main color for the upper body, complimentary or darker color for the other parts.

You are right. All-white looks much sleeker than the original.

Definitely. If they used brighter gray it wouldn't bother people that much.

To me it's the layout of the colors that's really problematic. Black and white by itself is fine. But this looks like a white controller wearing a strap dress or a vintage wrestling suit. The little curves at the junction at the base of the touchpad particularly enhance this feeling and I can't unsee it.

None of the color variations I've seen here alleviate this, this gen is going to be painful for me until they release a single color controller. Full black mockups look perfectly fine to me.

I suppose they purposefully choose different color variations to publish to garner much attention. And it seems to be working.

They will definitely release a single color variation for it.

49750053197_cbd5a80bcb_h.jpg
49750052797_3e358ff899_h.jpg

Last edited:

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
This thread is like 80 pages of people coming up with and complimenting better color styles than what Sony thought of.
sure. i also think though the fact there's so many different interpretations folks are having with different colour designs for the controller shows that sony did pretty good for laying a good template for future designs. the fact that it's all white and two toned shows many possibilities for the different colours they can make for the controller. and how good they can look too!

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I look forward to seeing the Sony PlayStation 5 console....brought to you by Sony Interactive Entertainment, Mark Cerny and the Future Foundation.

ff.jpg

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Though I was put off by the two-toned colour scheme at first, I got used to it.

I love the translucent buttons à la PSP/PSVita, and absolutely adore colourless buttons. Looks so slick.

Can't wait to see the special editions this controller (and the console) will probably get.

•79•

Banned
Sep 22, 2018
South West London, UK
If it works like in that patent, and can pull the stopper back such that there's no contact between it and the trigger pad, no pressure applied at all to the triggers, then yeah, I think they could do that. Have a completely loose, clicky button.

But the specifics of the implementation aren't yet official, so we'll see.
I was thinking more about reducing the travel. But yes there's more to reveal and as concept these adaptive triggers are pretty interesting.

I love this telephone game where every time someone makes this argument the original line gets more and more mangled.
mxpWuwV.jpg
It is really tiresome.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping they'd get rid of the touch bar and reduce the overall cost of the controller.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I liked the gamepad, split color design makes working on mockups very much fun. Your mockups are very good too VivekTO.

I tried to use same principle that Sony used for the DS4 alternative colors. Main color for the upper body, complimentary or darker color for the other parts.

Definitely. If they used brighter gray it wouldn't bother people that much.

I suppose they purposefully choose different color variations to publish to garner much attention. And it seems to be working.

They will definitely release a single color variation for it.

49750053197_cbd5a80bcb_h.jpg
49750052797_3e358ff899_h.jpg
This looks really good - I'd want this and the white alternative in the post above.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
www.theverge.com

Sony’s new DualSense controller is its most exciting design since the original PlayStation

The biggest change to the PlayStation controller yet.

The next-gen console rollouts from Sony and Microsoft this year have been, for lack of a better word, soporific. But after weeks of spec comparisons and hardware boasts, Sony finally gave things a shot in the arm with the reveal of its new DualSense controller. It's the most interesting announcement surrounding a next-gen console yet, and for Sony, in particular — which has barely updated its controller design in over two decades — the most exciting controller yet.

And yes, Microsoft has also revealed its console and controller designs, and I commend the company for revealing them early on in the process. But neither the lightly tweaked controller nor the featureless gray tower seems to have elicited the same excitement.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Regarding the Capture button I wonder how far they'll go with that functionality. Let you capture segments of a game to share with friends and over social media so others can try to beat your performance under the exact same circumstances? Let you capture clips in GIF and share straight to social media? A full video/photo editing suite? I had the idea that Sony could tap into their Sony Vegas software to create a user friendly version specifically for the PS5 that can offer some powerful editing options.
It's probably that, I guess they'll give more options than trim the video when you press Share. The "create" name doesn't turn around the concept of "share", because we make the association that streaming/videos are "created" content, specially with youtubers. You can hear various people talking about "creating content" = "making videos". It would be amazing to have Vegas on PS5, tho, but I believe will be just a Share Factory 2.0.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Cerny emphasized the word "architecture" when talking about PS4 and references to a super-charged PC. He talks about it being a platform closer to PC in terms of a development environment, while having aspects of it he considered 'super-charged' - if I'm not wrong in terms of integration and RAM.

It wasn't him attempting to spin the console as better than PC.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Cerny emphasized the word "architecture" when talking about PS4 and references to a super-charged PC. He talks about it being a platform closer to PC in terms of a development environment, while having aspects of it he considered 'super-charged' - if I'm not wrong in terms of integration and RAM.

It wasn't him attempting to spin the console as better than PC.
Yup.
Some pretty big leap to go from pc like architecture to " high end pc" as some are trying to claim.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
Looks amazing! Not a radical change from the previous one,
it just fits in your hand.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Microsoft perfected the controller shape

I feel like this is personal
It's probably that, I guess they'll give more options than trim the video when you press Share. The "create" name doesn't turn around the concept of "share", because we make the association that streaming/videos are "created" content, specially with youtubers. You can hear various people talking about "creating content" = "making videos". It would be amazing to have Vegas on PS5, tho, but I believe will be just a Share Factory 2.0.

It could also mean some kind of Dreams integration from the OS level. Maybe Dreams is preloaded or built into the OS?