• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
added the colored PS logo to the colored face buttons
FTo28y1.jpg

Aaaaaaaand we have our Anniversery controller right here.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
No arguments here. But the Switch pro controller is not close to the XB controller, it's more like the Stadia's. Wii U Pro controller's actually closer, but kind of even moreso to the 360's.
It is closer than the DS4 i would say.
And yes, there are other controllers like WiiU one or Stadia's. I find all relatively similar, so i fail to see the 'x has copied y' issue. And at the same time, being similar each has its own personality and features.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
I don't know how much speculation have been discussed on the « Create » Button. But I present the hypothesis that the rename is due to some integrated fast-edition tools « Tik-Tok-like », which makes you « create » something more than just sharing it.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
I BET: That the PS5 white plastic coverings on the controller are removable giving the ability to customize the controller with different designs. 3D printer am cry!!!

Deleted member 8688

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Controller looks cool. I wants it.

Pretty hyped for PS5 now, all this new tech to look forward to, from 360 audio to haptic feedback to super-speed SSD, this is going to feel like a new generation in a way the PS4 didn't.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
It's safe to assume that every feature from the DualShock 4 will return for the sake of backwards compatibility.
PS5 plays PS4 games so I think all DS4 features have to be there.
PS4 can already redirect controller audio to headphones when plugged in. They would have no trouble redirecting all audio to current audio output without harming any bc game.

Well let's hope the audio quality of that thing is better.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
The two tone would work better if the dpad, face buttons, and touch pad had contrasting colors to match the bottom.

Either the controllers are similar shades like the white on off-white, or more parts need to contrast.
I agree. Even though I honestly love the new design. There's room for improvement. PS5 Pro will launch with Dualshock 5 probably.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at this thread and the amount of people losing their minds for different colour combination mock-ups it definitely feels like people in general really like the actual design of the controller itself, and it's just the colour that is not grabbing them...

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
OK, I'm coming around.

Still, things I don't like
Touchpad
Create and Menu button placement. Seriously, this was bad on DS4 made even worse with the larger touchpad on DS5
Internal battery (Eneloop zealot, here)
Internal mic. lol

Things I DO like
Shape. Finally looks modern
Two-tone sexy AF
Two-tone looks to recreate iconic shape of old DSs
More heft (assuming)
Headphone jack, thank god
Haptic stuff
Symmetrical sticks. I prefer asym, but glad DS5 retained this. It's good to have different things

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Have they said anything about the compatibility with wireless headphone? I have Sony WF-1000XM3 and would prefer to use it than my speaker or wired headphone.
i have the same but isnt there delay with bluetooth audio? I thought that was the reason why all 3rd party headsets required dongles on the ds4

htp314

Oct 31, 2017
It looks ok, the only problem for me is the color combination, and the plain looking buttons needs another color than white, maybe black.

Oct 30, 2017
Looking at this thread and the amount of people losing their minds for different colour combination mock-ups it definitely feels like people in general really like the actual design of the controller itself, and it's just the colour that is not grabbing them...
Partially.

It's also just fun! Sony released a lot of DS4 colors. So it's likely we will get more!

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
sony gonna do like what microsoft done? where you can order custom design controller. someone on their team HAS to be doing research right now.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
i question that, seeing as this a very small device and, well, it's battery powered. it will be nothing like force feedback.

it might add texture to motion kind of like how haptics work (like the fake click of an apple trackpad) but don't expect it to add physical resistance

If patents filed reflect what's in the controllers, the trigger mechanism is substantial, and designed to impart physical force. A 'taptics' style feature would not need this:

lcaNQWH.png

The mechanism itself in isolation, from 'behind'

FgeQads.png

From the side - you can see how it's been shaped to fit in the grip:

GupIm6M.png

There's motors, sliders, guides involved.

In the blog post, he mentions that they started with how to fit the trigger mechanisms in the controller, and then worked on the shell around that. Based on that, and descriptions of what the trigger does, I think this is the kind of mechanism we'll be looking at in the controller.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
So regarding PSVR compatibility with the Dual Sense could Sony make an Attachment like the paddle one that they made to DS4 ?
I really don't want to have a DS4 laying around only because of PSVR :(

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I can't unsee the Totoro!

z3eQHwh_d.webp

But I'm very fond of the ergonomic design, it seems to be very similar to Xbox in that regard.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone technically minded enough to estimate if the 3d audio that Sony are investing in will be usable while connecting headphones via the controller?

It seems like a no brainer if it's possible.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
While the fan-made versions are nice, I don't see Sony releasing anything that good anytime soon. Their track history when it comes to controller themes is poor at best.

WightnNerdy

Oct 27, 2017
London, Ontario
Seeing all of the awesome colour mockups makes me wish Sony allowed you to choose your own colours, like Microsoft's design lab. Though, my only custom Xbox One controller has a weird rumble issue where it squeaks like a bird and it's really annoying. I honestly don't use it anymore because of this, but it's awesome that I was able to choose an orange controller with black buttons.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Anyone technically minded enough to estimate if the 3d audio that Sony are investing in will be usable while connecting headphones via the controller?

It seems like a no brainer if it's possible.
It absolutely should be. The whole point is 3D audio over stereo headphones, so not allowing it through the controller audio kinda defeats the whole purpose.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I don't know how much speculation have been discussed on the « Create » Button. But I present the hypothesis that the rename is due to some integrated fast-edition tools « Tik-Tok-like », which makes you « create » something more than just sharing it.

Yup, seems likely. Also, might have folded into it other functions, like creating parties, creating MP sessions, etc.