• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
FBOQ6HM.png

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Looks like it will be a good evolution on a solid design.

I'm ok the fence on a preorder as I want a new GPU but we will definitely see how things play out.

I have a feeling things will get crazy once they show it off full boar and show the games.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
it sure looks "gamer", but I guess that's what kids want these days to pair with their "racer" chairs and rgb led everything.
I prefer things that have a clean industrial design like sony used to do, such as the original DS design which by comparison is like a perfected japanese chefs knife to this tired concept art panel sci fi thingy thing.

And the ds 4 is just the worst controller I've ever used. I don't even play on my ps4 anymore because I can't relax with a blue laser reflection blinding my eyes and the nagging feeling that the battery will run out in just a few hours time. In my mind the supremely shitty battery life alone disqualifies the DS4 as a usable controller.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can the microphone be turned off? with physical switch ?
Or at least is there a led indicator that the mic is powered and listening? (Like on macbooks camera)

i dont like the idea of always on mic. It is little less bad than Kinect.
I'm sure you'll be able to go into setting and turn it off.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Why would anyone want disconnected dpad arrows though? It goes against dpad design since the beginning of time, it's simply wrong.
.I know this user was banned. Just wanted to point out that the PlayStation controllers don't actually have individual buttons, the dpad is one solid piece of plastic, you only SEE the individual directions, and I'd be surprised if the DualSense is any different at all

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
Someone said it copied major elements from the XBO controller. Is this like the same logic that Android copied the iPhone because of the home screen?

I thought the major elements of Xbox controllers were the stick placements. And the triggers. Button colors.

Guess it's the shell, shell color.

Well, the silhouette and form factor of the XBO controller is very iconic. And you gotta admit the DS5 does have a very similar silhouette. I'm sure it'll feel a bit like the XBO in the hand.

Edit: Nvm, just saw that gif you posted. The silhouette is actually different, that's crazy. They're both very reminiscent of one another though with how the grips are shaped and the lack of a protruding thumbstick well at the bottom of the controller (it always looked like little balls hanging down). So not exactly the same but they share some similar aspects.

Last edited:

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Well, the silhouette and form factor of the XBO controller is very iconic. And you gotta admit the DS5 does have a very similar silhouette. I'm sure it'll feel a bit like the XBO in the hand.
The switch controller pro is also closer to xb controller silhouette and? It has zero relevance, in the end all controllers are very similarly shaped and have similar distributions.

The new xb controller also added a share button... just normal evolution, unless we want them to be weird like the banana ps3 prototype or just keep using the same design forever....
And some (very vocal btw) have complained about DS not being comfortable... So now may be for them if similar to their preferred controller, so again, no issues.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
The switch controller pro is also closer to xb controller silhouette and? It has zero relevance, in the end all controllers are very similarly shaped and have similar distributions.

The new xb controller also added a share button... just normal evolution, unless we want them to be weird like the banana ps3 prototype or just keep using the same design forever....
And some (very vocal btw) have complained about DS not being comfortable... So now may be for them if similar to their preferred controller, so again, no issues.

No arguments here. But the Switch pro controller is not close to the XB controller, it's more like the Stadia's. Wii U Pro controller's actually closer, but kind of even moreso to the 360's.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Just holding my DS4 and looking closely at the DS5 image... the Create and Options buttons are now in a much better position. They also look easier to press as well, on DS4 they're weirdly recessed into the controller a little at the bottom. Now they're exactly where my thumb goes to just a fraction away from the triangle button.

The whole controller looks like small but good improvements for ergonomics and comfort. Love it.