• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I don't think I've ever pressed the share button on my DS4. For years and years and years it's just sat there

I wonder how many people never use it

That said, I'm glad it's there on the DS5 as a lot of people obviously love being able to share stuff
It's such an unpopular button that everyone else decided to also have one. You know. Just in case :P

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I'm loving some of the designs people have created. The cyberpunk 2077 design is awesome. I hope Sony creates a design lab for PS5 controllers.

That's one of the big advantages of going with a two-toned design: you can still have single color controllers, but opens up design space for a lot more creativity in combos. Also helps to make some of the bolder versions less extreme: say, a forest camo controller now can have the faceplates camo'ed but the undercarriage be a solid base military green.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So what's up with having a mic on the controller? Wont people her others mashing buttons and stuff from that?

Hopefully not - I imagine it might filter out non-voice sound sources. It being a mic array could help with that, in terms of positioning and isolating different sounds.

And where do the vioce chat sound some from? The tv? Who would want people shouting on tv?

Presumably will have the same options we already have for directing voice chat to your preferred output.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
I don't think I've ever pressed the share button on my DS4. For years and years and years it's just sat there

I wonder how many people never use it

That said, I'm glad it's there on the DS5 as a lot of people obviously love being able to share stuff
I forgot there was a share button lol.

Jan 3, 2019
I use the share button to take screenshots but they could bring back select and use Home Button + Start for screenshots like on Vita and I wouldn't care.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Pfwt7sS.jpg
There you go.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I use the share button almost every day.
Same. I have thousand of screenshot I go through from time to time. They will get me in the mood to replay games sometimes. I was looking at my Witcher 3 screens a while ago and it made me boot it back up for another playthrough. Always love catching some cool MP gameplay moments too.

Cant wait to see how they evolve that feature.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People who like it: "I like it,"

Peope who like it trying to understand why some people don't like it: "How is this even possible? They must be spies sent by Phil Spencer, or afraid of change, or perhaps they are simply predisposed to hate?! Why don't they explain why they don't like it so I can tell them they're wrong? Why won't they agree with me?!"

I know it's fun to play the hyperbole game but maybe people who don't like it just... don't like it. It's not an attack on anything if someone doesn't like the look of their gaming input device.
I don't like when pieces of a device don't sit flush with each other. It feels less well made when there are crevices for dirt to get into. You can see this in the view from above the controller.

It looks almost as if the controller was meant to come apart like joycons based on the visual language. It does not feel as if it'a molded to look like a unified harmonious object.

That said, I don't HATE the design. But I do think there are much nicer looking designs out there. This is very Non-minimalistic which is against how things have been trending.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
Kinda wished they'd drop the speaker, but nope still there.

With the focus on headphones and quality 3D audio, that cheap talkie-walkie like speaker feels so out of place

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Kinda wished they'd drop the speaker, but nope still there.

With the focus on headphones and quality 3D audio, that cheap talkie-walkie like speaker feels so out of place
It's safe to assume that every feature from the DualShock 4 will return for the sake of backwards compatibility.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

I'm loving some of the designs people have created. The cyberpunk 2077 design is awesome. I hope Sony creates a design lab for PS5 controllers.

cyberpunk one is the best, It gives me ideas how a possible Wipeout themed controller could look in terms of bold colors and clean graphics

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I was hoping it would be in regular version. Paddles with gyro perfect combo

Gaming has come this far without paddles, so I can see Sony keeping it on the Pro version in order to keep the DualSense costs down.

Although with all this new tech I wouldn't be surprised if an additional controller costs $70 USD at launch.

added the colored PS logo to the colored face buttons
FTo28y1.jpg

TakeMyMoney.jpg

nix6

Oct 28, 2017
Can the microphone be turned off? with physical switch ?
Or at least is there a led indicator that the mic is powered and listening? (Like on macbooks camera)

i dont like the idea of always on mic. It is little less bad than Kinect.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I use the share button everyday too. 30 second rocket league clips or recently 3 minute clips from my warzone wins. Also screen shoting things that look cool. Great feature.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
But this just confirms there's still some things they haven't shown about the controller yet.

Saving some stuff for the later reveal, or maybe it'll get leaked.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Adaptive triggers are much more like Force Feedback on driving wheels than just rumble.
i question that, seeing as this a very small device and, well, it's battery powered. it will be nothing like force feedback.

it might add texture to motion kind of like how haptics work (like the fake click of an apple trackpad) but don't expect it to add physical resistance

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Can the microphone be turned off? with physical switch ?
Or at least is there a led indicator that the mic is powered and listening? (Like on macbooks camera)

i dont like the idea of always on mic. It is little less bad than Kinect.

There's a mute button, look at the pictures.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
Huh, I kinda like it. But, yeah, I prefer my controllers to have a single color. The all-black mock up looks nice too though. I'm sure they'll have one of those as well down the road.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
i question that, seeing as this a very small device and, well, it's battery powered. it will be nothing like force feedback.

it might add texture to motion kind of like how haptics work (like the fake click of an apple trackpad) but don't expect it to add physical resistance

We've actually seen the patents for it. It will do dynamic resistance, just like FF, just not at the same scale of forces, of course. It will also do the taptic thing through the enhanced rumble (they're seemingly using LRAs, that can be tuned to do localized rumble).

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
How does this look like an Xbox controller?

Like, serious question... I am looking for a single similarity...
Someone said it copied major elements from the XBO controller. Is this like the same logic that Android copied the iPhone because of the home screen?

I thought the major elements of Xbox controllers were the stick placements. And the triggers. Button colors.

Guess it's the shell, shell color.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Hated it at first but I have to say it grew on me. At least it's different. Very Mass Effect aesthetic. I think the black shoulder buttons stick out a bit too much, but I guess you usually don't view it from an angle where you see them well anyway.