• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Eh, connecting a 3.5mm jack to the DS5 still means your audio is transferred via Bluetooth. Rather mediocre quality too.

I'd vastly prefer directly connecting my bluetooth headphones to the PS5. It's a superior method.
The very much depends on the Bluetooth receiver, DAC and amp in the controller. Sony has been hitting it out of the park with their BT headphones lately, and a major focus with the PS5 seems to be audio. I would expect markedly better audio quality with the DS5.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Just said it in the other thread (requested it to be locked), but excellent news!
Wish they'd plan this better so nobody would have those questions followed by an answer on a small account 8+ hours later though.

Also I guess that the headphone jack is below that hole we see in the pics then (and probably close to the patent placement).
Crazy how these non-issues get blown out of proportion. Glad to have it confirmed so we can move on from that.
Lack of headphone jack isn't a non-issue.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Good. Having to clarify this in this way shows how Sony messed up this reveal yet again. Have they made any announcement regarding PS5 that did not leave us with questions?

They should really shape up

Just said it in the other thread (requested it to be locked), but excellent news!
Wish they'd plan this better so nobody would have those questions followed by an answer on a small account 8+ hours later though.

Also I guess that the headphone jack is below that hole we see in the pics then (and probably close to the patent placement).

Lack of headphone jack isn't a non-issue.

Or maybe we just don't assume things aren't there just because they aren't explicitly mentioned, or not mentioned every time the console or controller is brought up. This has happened consistently around the PS5. I think there's some merit to criticizing how they revealed this but I don't think they've messed up the reveal itself at all.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The more I look at it, the more I really like the look of the white portion.

The idea to move on from the childlike PlayStation button colours is really genius, it really gives it a sleek and modern look.

The renders that have appeared since with the colours re-added make it look so cheap and toy-like by comparison.

Hell, even Nintendo have moved on from those coloured buttons, I'm glad Sony have done the same.
Colours are useful for some people with coordination. All about accessibility really.

The standard controller should still ideally have had colours, then limited editions could have removed colours for people who don't like them.

eg. Xbox One standard controller has coloured buttons, but many limited editions have the colours removed. So it's a choice.

I find it unlikely Sony will add the coloured buttons back in to any limited edition controllers, so it removed the choice.

As a light gamer, my wife finds it much quicker to locate the required button via prompts based on their colour, rather than having to work out the corresponding symbol or letter. It's different when you play games all the time.

Regardless, not a big deal either way.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The very much depends on the Bluetooth receiver, DAC and amp in the controller. Sony has been hitting it out of the park with their BT headphones lately, and a major focus with the PS5 seems to be audio. I would expect markedly better audio quality with the DS5.

I hope so! I hope they take it seriously enough so I can connect my WH-100XM3's. I mean, they say 'Sony' on the side.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Also, it's a bit weird how some parts of the controller look like a "shell" around for example the shoulder buttons:
aBWeGK2.png
That's the only thing I don't really like.

Looks like a weak point regarding the overall sturdiness of the device, plus good luck keeping it clean with all these gaps.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
Colours are useful for some people with coordination. All about accessibility really.

The standard controller should still ideally have had colours, then limited editions could have removed colours for people who don't like them.

eg. Xbox One standard controller has coloured buttons, but many limited editions have the colours removed. So it's a choice.

I find it unlikely Sony will add the coloured buttons back in to any limited edition controllers, so it removed the choice.

Sorry, sort of off topic, but did you purposely type this out to match the length of his sentences and everything? It's oddly visually pleasing, much like the DS5. See, I brought it back.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
I hope so! I hope they take it seriously enough so I can connect my WH-100XM3's. I mean, they say 'Sony' on the side.
I agree, would be nice. It isn't possible on the PS4 because four DS4 controllers take up all of the Bluetooth channels, but let's hope the PS5 BT chip has a solution for that.

If it's BT5, it should have twice the bandwidth. That will help a lot, but they might choose to use it to improve the audio quality of the headphone jack instead.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Sorry, sort of off topic, but did you purposely type this out to match the length of his sentences and everything? It's oddly visually pleasing, much like the DS5. See, I brought it back.
There was an element of that yes ;)
The design is so growing on me. I think it looks incredibly sleek and ergonomic.
It's definitely a grower. I still think it looks way better in one solid colour though rather than the two tone.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Or maybe we just don't assume things aren't there just because they aren't explicitly mentioned, or not mentioned every time the console or controller is brought up. This has happened consistently around the PS5. I think there's some merit to criticizing how they revealed this but I don't think they've messed up the reveal itself at all.
When you do a controller reveal and don't show it completely, and don't say in your post if you have an headphone jack or not, maybe it's normal to wonder if there is one or not?

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that puts me at ease. Dunno why they neglected to upload an image showing the bottom of the controller where the port usually goes, but I digress.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
When you do a controller reveal and don't show it completely, and don't say in your post if you have an headphone jack or not, maybe it's normal to wonder if there is one or not?

Wonder? Sure. Assume the worst each and every time? I'm certainly not about that.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
When will Sony stop pretending that symmetrical sticks ere comfortable or make any sense?
Hopefully never. Because they are both more comfortable and make a whole lot of sense in an age where pretty much every game on the system are controlled with both sticks simultaneously.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
What about right thumb? Why is it in natural position but left isn't?
Console wars.

This may have been a thing were it not for the fact both sticks are used as often as the other. Most games now are free movement on avatar and camera.

The truth is, you have a preference, but both symmetrical and asymmetrical are completely fine for most.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
Anybody think the DS5 will engage the adaptive triggers while watching movies? So you need to apply more force to fast-forward so setting the controller on a table no longer does that?

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
When will Sony stop pretending that symmetrical sticks ere comfortable or make any sense?

Unless you have some disability, why the fuck would your right thumb be more uncomfortable than your left thumb in the same position. Offset thumbsticks is a stupid idea in today's world when most games require your thumbs to be on the sticks 90% of the time.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
User Warned: Trolling; editing anothers message
Hopefully never. Because they are both more comfortable and make a whole lot of sense in an age where pretty much every game on the system are controlled with both sticks simultaneously.

Unless you have some disability, why the fuck would your right thumb be more uncomfortable than your left thumb in the same position. Symmetrical thumbsticks is a stupid idea in today's world when most games require your thumbs to be on the sticks 90% of the time.

Yes, I am glad you all too see that asymmetrical sticks are better.

(I don't really care, I do have a preference myself, obviously, but.... eh, pretending that a requirement for using thumbsticks often is somehow contra the capacity/ergonomics of either style is nonsensical, like, absurdly so)

One thing that's striking is that for all the chat about 'IT'S ABOUT GAMES BABY' there's a fuckload of noise about everything around the edge.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I seriously never cared where the thumbsticks are, I have 3 different controllers and I don't even think about it when I play. it does however suck to have the dpad on the bottom, now that's uncomfortable.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I do care and I would gladly swap my XBO controller I'm using with my PC for a version with symmetrical sticks, DS style.

Use a DS4 then. I don't care what you like, more power to you. That's the point, not some weird shit about how one style or the other is innately more ergonomic given 'games use sticks' (?!).

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good for audio jack. I like this little headset for fighting game. For other I take a bigger one

But. Back paddle support please :((( I didn't buy it for just one year

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I'm not going to assume something is there when it's not mentioned nor shown at a reveal, sorry.
Especially when only the Dualshock 4 had it for Sony.

By all means, continue the concern then. It seems exhausting.

I'm also not sure of the relevance of your last statement as Sony has been leaning more heavily into BC so keeping things like the speaker and the audio jack would be more likely now than say at this point in the cycle last generation.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
Use a DS4 then. I don't care what you like, more power to you. That's the point, not some weird shit about how one style or the other is innately more ergonomic given 'games use sticks' (?!).

Thank you! Thumbs are flexible and these things are made for human thumbs. If anybody really has issues using either controller's thumbsticks, there's other issues they should look into.

I do prefer the Dualshock layout though but for one reason only: being able to pretty easily use the D-Pad while also using the left stick either with the claw method or just the edges of my left thumb if I need to press the right or down buttons. It's saved my life in every Bethesda game a ton of times since I'm always mobile and still able to switch weapons or quickly heal. It's still possible on Xbox, but you have to claw the thumb stick which isn't ideal.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
The more I'm seeming other colorways the more the controller is really growing on me.

www.instagram.com

Tanner on Instagram: "The #dualsense got announced today, so I decided to make some custom controller ideas with it! . . . . . #ps5 #playstation5 #dualshock5 #ds5 #dualshock4 #playstation #pscontroller #customcontroller #custom #spiderman #spidermanp

241 likes, 16 comments - tannerlikesstuff on April 7, 2020: "The #dualsense got announced today, so I decided to make some custom controller ideas with it! . . . . . #ps5 #playstation5 #dualshock5 #..."

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Found on Reddit

0ta7ns70jhr41.gif

Ergonomics are essentially the same. The shoulder corners look bulkier but I don't think it actually makes any difference when I hold my own DS4.

Hopefully the thicker area below the sticks will allow for a bigger battery.