• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Are you being obtuse on purpose? Because even ignoring the fact about variable tension, haptic feedback is not at all like rumble feedback and offers far more nuanced information than two small motors occasionally rotating at same speed.
If you've every played Forza (or hell, destiny) the xbox triggers are leagues ahead of a ps4 controller. You can get that bowstring action today on Destiny 2.

I doubt it's anything different

If (the tension changes) as in a spring tightens or something (sounds like a fucking stupid idea and an easy way for a controller to break) I'll be very surprised

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
User Banned (Permanent): Hostility, Platform Warring, and Driving Thread Derail Over Multiple Posts; Numerous Prior Bans for Similar Behavior and for Severe Infractions
It always amazes me how sensitive fanboys can get over differing opinions and takes. The name calling is childish and systematic of console warring. Definitely reported.

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
I dig the design, I don't know why, but it reminds me of an N64 controller. I hope they decide to color the button symbols by release.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
If you've every played Forza (or hell, destiny) the xbox triggers are leagues ahead of a ps4 controller. You can get that bowstring action today on Destiny 2.

I doubt it's anything different

If (the tension changes) as in a spring tightens or something (sounds like a fucking stupid idea and an easy way for a controller to break) I'll be very surprised

Per patents filed, they were working on triggers that can apply a programmable force in the direction opposite to the trigger's travel. All the way up to moving the stopper to a different position on the trigger's travel arc.

That certainly wouldn't be remotely the same as rumble on triggers. As for durability, we'll see.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I really like it. Aside from battery life my biggest complaint about the DS4 was how small and uncomfortable it is (for my hands). This looks much thicker and way more comfortable.

Other issues I had were the torch + touchpad. Glad they got rid of the torch. I know it still lights up but I'll just consider it an RGB light strip/accent since it's not a huge light right at the front of the controller. The touch pad might still be useless but it blends into the design much better and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It always amazes me how sensitive fanboys can get over differing opinions and takes. The name calling is childish and systematic of console warring. Definitely reported.

I thought you peaced out?

Since you're staying: you're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts. "Adaptive triggers is just vibration" is not a "differing opinion" or preference, it's a falsehood.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It's so funny to see the responses from the community here. My coworkers love the design. I think it's pretty slick myself.

As long as its comfortable to hold. I like the all black fan made one. It makes me wonder if the actual PS5 will buck the all black trend PlayStation adopted since the PS2.

After seeing this controller, I don't see any way in which the PS5 is just a black box.

The controller is an extension of the console, especially with something like this. The console itself will undoubtedly sport a two tone white/black theme with blue LEDs and an overall futuristic look as well.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Factually incorrect. This abortion exists:

91qahZOIs6L._SL1500_.jpg

No recolor is saving that grotesqueness.

Wasn't this the first controller with an analogue stick? I remember they said that it was made that way because people would have the choice between playing 3D games with the analog stick, and the D-pad with 2D games. The Z button was designed exclusively for 3D games.

At that time, no one was thinking you could use both the D-pad and Stick at the same time, I guess?

The PlayStation controller didn't have sticks until the DualShock, and the reason they have symmetrical sticks is because that was the only way to put them without changing the design, since it was released mid-generation.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, when a whole bunch of people are telling you you're wrong and your response is to put your fingers in your ear and keep shouting about how "they're the same!" ignoring everything else what do you expect?

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
After seeing this controller, I don't see any way in which the PS5 is just a black box.

The controller is an extension of the console, especially with something like this. The console itself will undoubtedly sport a two tone white/black theme with blue LEDs and an overall futuristic look as well.

Yeah, hopefully the console is similarly white/black and carries a similar layered(?) design theme. I like it.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought you peaced out?

Since you're staying: you're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts. "Adaptive triggers is just vibration" is not a "differing opinion" or preference, it's a falsehood.
No matter how wrong someone might be, calling others a "troll" doesn't lead to anything.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
lol, the console warriors are still out in force it seems. Ah well, at least I got a good chuckle out of it.

So yeah, I'm very excited to experience the DS5. Between that, their goals with the Tempest Engine and zero load times the QOL improvements and improved sensory experience on the PS5 is going to be amazing.

Also can't wait to see how far they'll push PSVR2 and the next gen Move controllers. Still hoping they might be working on a VR glove accessory.

Oct 25, 2017
Per patents filed, they were working on triggers that can apply a programmable force in the direction opposite to the trigger's travel. All the way up to moving the stopper to a different position on the trigger's travel arc.

That certainly wouldn't be remotely the same as rumble on triggers. As for durability, we'll see.
I see. So it's kind of like a travelling trigger lock/blocker.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Sure bud. Maybe next time try to educate yourself before making wild claims and saying "it's basically same as Xbox", especially when multiple people said it's not. We've already had this frustrating back n forth months ago when Wired article talked about haptic feedback triggers.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Looks like Alienware designed this. Not sure if I like until I see it in real, but I do hope it comes in black

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
No matter how wrong someone might be, calling others a "troll" doesn't lead to anything.

What do you call a person who trollops into a thread, spouts falsehoods, doesn't listen to the many people trying to correct them and then doubles and triples down on their buffoonery? Sounds like a troll to me and when it gets to that point it's fair game to point it out.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I just caught up on everything you and the others posted. Impulse triggers do not change the tension based on the games input never have never will on that controller. They provide vibration which is one part of what the Adaptive Triggers have nothing more. Its not PR speak its just what it is and its explained in the article. Stop being a clown ass fanboy.

Here: https://www.windowscentral.com/new-xbox-one-resistive-controller-triggers-detailed-patents Its confirmed they have been working on it and dont actually have it at all.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Sure bud. Maybe next time try to educate yourself before making wild claims and saying "it's basically same as Xbox", especially when multiple people said it's not. We've already had this frustrating back n forth months ago when Wired article talked about haptic feedback triggers.

Whatever you need to tell yourself bud. It's PR speak and it's nothing new. Nothing wild about that truth. *shrugs*

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
It's definitely PR speak.

Literally the same thing the "Impulse Triggers" do in the XB1 controller. Look it up. Developers can program them to do just that.
It's not. XB is literally just a rumble feeling in any given direction in the triggers. Adaptive triggers which in the article clearly distinguishes the difference for which the main body generates a rumble haptic feedback (what the xbox triggers does) while the adaptive triggers offers resistance. There is absolutely no game currently using the xbox controller that does anything that is what is described with the adaptive triggers ( I have the elites). You don't feel varying levels of tension pulling the trigger, you feel the difference in vibrating response.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
It's not. XB is literally just a rumble feeling in any given direction in the triggers. Adaptive triggers which in the article clearly distinguishes the difference for which the main body generates a rumble haptic feedback (what the xbox triggers does) while the adaptive triggers offers resistance. There is absolutely no game currently using the xbox controller that does anything that is what is described with the adaptive triggers ( I have the elites). You don't feel varying levels of tension pulling the trigger, you feel the difference in vibrating response.

Ok. I'll wait for further proof of this. Thanks for the info.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018

Dude. Only one who looks console warring is you.

None of that is new to controllers. It's literally just PR speak.

"Adaptive triggers" is PR speak as I said. It's no different than the "Impulse Triggers" that the XB1 controller has.

Literally the same thing the "Impulse Triggers" do in the XB1 controller. Look it up. Developers can program them to do just that.

You come to PS5 controller thread, downplaying that controllers features, comparing it to Xbox controller and lying about features.

Instead of just accepting that you were wrong, you start calling others console warriors.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I'd always been bitching that playstation controllers didn't use mechanical triggers in ps3/ps4 unlike xbox, so it's nice to see they're not only going that direction, but taking an extra leap forward. Hopefully these 'adaptive triggers' work as well as they sound.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I dig it, it feels in a way like Sony is trying to do a banana controller-esque redesign again, except less radical a change. I'm sure the controller will feel great and I'm very excited for haptics.

Mixed on the two toned color like most people, single tone accentuating the light bar might have been a stronger design. I'm also not too sure about the PS logo being an cut-out button instead of just a circular one like the DS4.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like these concept cars that looks cool on paper, but no one would want to get in
20171016_01_01-e1508159885797.jpg

I kind of expect the console to look something like this also. Starting to believe the rumour they're waiting for production to show off the console because if it looks like a futuristic concept car, people will question its viability as a working console and not a "crazy concept that never goes to production".

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Now that I am digesting this, I am disappointed with Microsoft has not followed suit.

No next-gen vibration? No actuators? This means 3rd parties won't use them much on PS5 or PC.

Microsoft is not prioritizing input innovation enough . Perhaps because of focus on their laser-focus on best-in-class traditional horsepower.

I agree with this.

The DialSense feels Next-Gen and makes the Xbox Series X controller seem outdated before it even hit the market. It's just more of the same with some subtle design improvements and an added Share button.

This will.make devs have to prioritize where they soend their resources. But i like that the DualSense now offers motors in the triggers, something the Xbox One Controller already had. So we should see more games.make that standard use.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
The more I see pictures of the controller, the more I think it looks pretty incredible. It's a bold design choice and definitely a step outside the ordinary for Sony. But I love that they are willing to experiment with the controller design, while still keeping some of the sensibilities of the DS4. It looks both totally new and also familiar and that takes A LOT of skill and talent.

I'm legit excited to get my hands on this thing, not just cause of the new tech in it, which sounds awesome, but it looks incredibly comfortable too.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What do you call a person who trollops into a thread, spouts falsehoods, doesn't listen to the many people trying to correct them and then doubles and triples down on their buffoonery? Sounds like a troll to me and when it gets to that point it's fair game to point it out.
There is always the option to ignore people instead of antagonizing.