• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you see this new controller and a white 360 controller right after each other it really hammers home how much better this new controller looks. We have come a long way aesthetically.

The 360 controller now looks a Fisher Price toy. And I say that as someone who loved his 360 Controller for PC to death.

49747503557_566da5ebc8_3k.jpg

Xbox-360-Wireless-Controller-Blast-from-the-Past-Bundle-Used
I didn't see it till the comparison here. I remember getting my 360 controller before I even got my console and remembered how blown away I was. Now it really does kinda look like a cheap toy by comparison.

The PS5 controller really has grown on me the more I look at it. Still don't like the two tone though.

Chronokeys

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like it, not sure about the trackpad though, I mean it wasn't really use that much this gen, or am I missing something here? It's the same trackpad right? or does it have new features?

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised by the negative reactions. I think it looks sleek, comfortable to hold and has a good mix of sticking with tradition and embracing new aspects.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I like it but where are the colors on the buttons? why did they remove them?
They've done it in the past a few times with the handhelds. It certainly makes for a cleaner aesthetic. Especially when paired with white. It's probably the same reason most games these days don't bother including the colour for the symbols when showing on-screen UI elements.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
People bitching and moaning as expected.

It looks great, im sure there will be different color variations.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I like it, not sure about the trackpad though, I mean it wasn't really use that much this gen, or am I missing something here? It's the same trackpad right? or does it have new features?
I'm guessing it's simply there for Backwards Compatibility purposes, because if they were to remove it some people would need to go out and buy a DS4 just to play some BC PS4 games. And unless Sony states otherwise I would just assume it has the same exact features as the DS4 touchpad.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
lmao you can't be serious.

Super serious. Both the Wii U Pro Controller and the Xbox One Controller's D-Pads have great points of center, they are great for Quarter circles and Half Circles, the travel between different points and directions are much better, they are super tactile in their movements so you get much better sense of your points of articulation on movement and most importantly for me, they are comfortable. After playing a fighting game for 30 minutes on a PS4 controller my thumb is aching like hell. Hard edges, horrible inward slope and the D-Pad itself being disconnected with the plastic of the control makes it a horribly discomfortable experience. I can play 2D or fighting games a day on the Wii U Pro Controller or Xbox One controller with no fatigue at all. But the Dual Shock is always a fucking killer to my thumb.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite thing about this design over the DS4 is it doesn't have those glossy pads upon which the dpad and buttons sit. I never liked that.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
More than anything, I'm happy that we're getting a truly unique design with some new innovative features. In order to create new legacies you sometimes have to break your traditions.

SirSalabean

May 12, 2018
It's not bad, I just prefer the new Xbox controller I think. I just think this new PS5 controller looks too weird, i liked the duel shock 4 but this is too different for me at least.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super serious. Both the Wii U Pro Controller and the Xbox One Controller's D-Pads have great points of center, they are great for Quarter circles and Half Circles, the travel between different points and directions are much better, they are super tactile in their movements so you get much better sense of your points of articulation on movement and most importantly for me, they are comfortable. After playing a fighting game for 30 minutes on a PS4 controller my thumb is aching like hell. Hard edges, horrible inward slope and the D-Pad itself being disconnected with the plastic of the control makes it a horribly discomfortable experience. I can play 2D or fighting games a day on the Wii U Pro Controller or Xbox One controller with no fatigue at all. But the Dual Shock is always a fucking killer to my thumb.
Sorry, but it looks like we both have different fingers then. The WiiU Pro Controller D-Pad was okay-ish. But that's about it. The Xbox (no matter which one) D-Pad is horrendous.

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
The more I look at the more I like it.
XSX controller looks so boring in comparison.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I like it a lot and look forward to the designers getting to try out new two-tone combos after doing a lot of great work on that front with the DualShock 4. The only issue I have is the face buttons not being colored like they've been on every other PS controller. I just noticed the PS Button is now a PS logo-shaped button, which is a cool touch.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Seeing this controller made me go from not giving a shit as to what the box will look like to being hyped as hell to see it! I'm expecting a more unique design now

AgonyRon

Nov 27, 2017
I'm guessing it's simply there for Backwards Compatibility purposes, because if they were to remove it some people would need to go out and buy a DS4 just to play some BC PS4 games. And unless Sony states otherwise I would just assume it has the same exact features as the DS4 touchpad.
Do you think a DS4 is even compatible? And with all the technology in it, it would cost probably a lot to buy 2 or 3 of them.

The name should just be Dual Shock 5, bc it feels like the 6axis

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
I think the reason for no back buttons is because the average person just doesn't need or even want them.

I realize some people disagree, but I think it's the right call. I think it would make more sense to have it as an optional accessory or on a more premium controller for enthusiasts.