• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ZpG5vs0.jpg

Pink anyone?
That pink is barf
Make it brighter and more neony

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the white is very distracting, but whatever. What I find completely unnecessary is the removal of the color on buttons. I'm so sick of design choices taking precedence over accesibility features, and companies assuming you have every button memorized. A lot of people remember buttons better by color than by icon.

It was always off putting in special edition Xbox controllers. Sure, I totally remember the buttons but colour is still important and prompts are that so why not.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol what? Your thumbs rest naturally on the dpad and face buttons. Anywhere else requires them to stretch. That's where they naturally fall. That's not a debatable point.

You've missed my point. Where your thumbs naturally fall is not that important when games are going to emphasis different input methods. What's most important is that all inputs can be reached comfortably and with accuracy. That is what the Dualshock 4 excels at. An analog stick is way easier to use in the lower left position than a d-pad.

Took about 5 minutes to get over it being weird and appreciate it for looking cool.

Bingo. People shat their pants about how the DS4 looked at first, too. Then everyone got over it.

draculabyte

Video Game and Metal Mashup Shirt Design
Verified
Jun 20, 2019
this looks better... still not sold but I would prefer this a ton lol

PS3 is great other than the triggers
Yes, the overall shape of it makes it feel easier to press buttons and use the control sticks. PS4's controller feels a little bit to bulky

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Dualshock is literally the only decent D-Pad in the business. That doesn't either break or drift

okay, much better.

Not at all. The separated D-Pads are awful in almost every application. Nintendo got it right with the Wii U Pro Controller D-Pad and the Xbox One is pretty damn close to being a perfect D-Pad.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Like many others, I'm not a fan of the design. It looks futuristic for the heck of it. The controller also lost its iconic face button colors.

That said, I hope they'll also release the all black variation of it, just like the fanmade. I'd buy it.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
First impression is a huge turn off imo.
Looks kinda like OG Xbox. Way too bulky.
Sad to see that shit trackpad is back. In 99% of games is just another button. So much wasted space...

Oct 25, 2017
All the alternative color schemes look bad.

The original is PERFECT

I really like the PSX style grey but loooove the white original with black and blue-light accents. It looks so minimal but still kinda techy. It's gotten me very pumped to see what the console itself is like and how it will match the white DS5.

It's a shame people are generally weirdly conservative with controllers. I don't think I've ever seen a new design reveal for any console controller that was immediately met with a positive reaction.

NeloAnjelo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I quite like it. Looks futuristic in some way... Not sure of the black below the white... Maybe all white would be better. Love the blue light... Hopefully the PS5 has a light also.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The controller looks like somebody's idea of what a controller from the future would look like. Looks too slim too as I wanted a fat controller like the DS4. But as long as it's bigger than the original shape than I'll be cool with it.

I like the colour scheme a lot though. No massive ass light bar on the top is a huge plus too.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Some idiot pointed out that the black part/sticks look like a tanktop and now I cant unsee it.

This controller is ruined now.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
It's not that great looking but as long as it controls great, doesn't matter to much.

Guess PS5 is white and blue. Otherwise, it'd clash with this. Even a black console would look odd with this controller.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Sad to see that shit trackpad is back. In 99% of games is just another button. So much wasted space...
And how did MS took advantage of that space?
xbox_series_x_controller_1920.jpg

They did nothing with it. Crammed OS buttons there and called it a day.

On DS4 and DS5 at least we have touchpad and two physical buttons underneath it. It's not much, but at least they are added inputs.

IMO, this cannot be wasted space if Sony is the only one that is actually trying to take advantage of it.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The shape seems nice. But that colour scheme is fuuuuuuugly. Give me all black or all white please

Edit: where are the PADDLES?????

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
First impression is a huge turn off imo.
Looks kinda like OG Xbox. Way too bulky.
What should they put there instead? Another button is more than other controllers have there.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm surprised at the negativity. I actually really like the look of the controller. I do think the d-pad and face buttons should be black to break up the colors, and give the face buttons their normal colors. Other than that, I think it's great.

Tupac_Senpai

Jan 5, 2020
Al the people saying its ugly are the same people that will be picking one up Day One...are the same people that will end up owning 3-5 versions of it once Sony starts pumping out different 2-tone custom colorways. Y'all are so shortsighted lol.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
And how did MS took advantage of that space?
xbox_series_x_controller_1920.jpg

They did nothing with it. Crammed OS buttons there and called it a day.

On DS4 and DS5 at least we have touchpad and two physical buttons underneath it. It's not much, but at least they are added inputs.

IMO, this cannot be wasted space if they are only ones that are actually taking advantage of it.
My thoughts exactly. People don't like the touchpad, sure, that's fine: what do you recommend putting in that space, then?