• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
L1FQTaE.jpg
Genji's controller

CKT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 1, 2020
Really not a fan of the design, I get strong vibes of this Madcatz 360 controller.
74-104-219-02.jpg
dualsense-ps5-controller.jpg

Is it just me?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I really don't like it but sometimes it is better IRL. So I'll wait. But yeah, third party controller feeling.
It seems the stick are far from the corner.

If the controller is bicolor, we can expect a bicolor PS5. I think the PS5 will look exactly like the trackpad, with blue light around it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I think the white is very distracting, but whatever. What I find completely unnecessary is the removal of the color on buttons. I'm so sick of design choices taking precedence over accesibility features, and companies assuming you have every button memorized. A lot of people remember buttons better by color than by icon.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Looks familiar but also stands out in a way PS4 controller doesn't. Love the colour contrast even the fan made ones look really cool.

The share/option button look slightly elevated which is great, happy the light bar is gone, sticks appear have a nice texture to them this time, and have no qualms with touch pad because when it's used well its great and when it's not then its perfectly functional buttons. Really wanna have it in my hands, hope it releases early. Pipe dream I know.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I mean I don't know why everyone is freaking out about the color, there's gonna be tons of color options post launch as usual, design wise it's closer to the xbox controller which is my favorite so I'm fine with that, the only thing is that I still don't understand why they're still sticking to the symmetrical stick placement, like Microsoft already solved that one.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Love the design, but not really the default color scheme. There are at least a half dozen mock-ups I need in my life, though, so it'll be fine.

Also those are some of the largest d-pad buttons I've ever seen(certainly on a 1st party pad). Which is a good thing. Those of us with large hands like 2D games too.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My main issue with dual shocks were always the size. Xbox is bulky and feels good in my hands and it's seems obvious Sony took some inspiration from MS.

Now just move the analog sticks similar to Xbox and I'd have zero complaints about it.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except you're still assuming that the majority of people either...

A) Think the controller is ugly.
B) Care nearly as much about this as you do.

You sit with a controller for thousands of hours. Not looking at it. And until you have it in your hands, criticizing the changes to the form factor mean absolutely nothing.

Here's some feedback from a person that's actually held the controller. So maybe hold off on your doom and gloom for a bit.

Era and most social media ballooned alarmingly fast. The vast majority of the discussion revolves around controversy in the aesthetic and design. This is one of the biggest brands in entertainment, so you can bet your sweet ass this matters to people. Again, it won't make or break the console, but it certainly counts.

Also, a lot of folk actually do look at their controllers. If you don't play games a lot, if you use different sets of hardware, if you are trying a new game and need to reference the layout. You aren't glued to it, but glancing at it or studying it is commonplace. This topic has merit.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
As many said on the forum - it resembles Astrobot color scheme which is ironic, since it breaks the compatibility with PSVR (no lightbar).
You have light on the back:

49747502797_ba4ef26976_3k.jpg

[it's black there but I think the light "moves" around the touch or can stay bright in case of VR]

Problem is that since there is less light surface, probably there will be even more drifting?

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Are the buttons still normal and raised, or is the photo weird? They look flat or something.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yo could the mockups get compiled in a threadmark? I'm really loving them and I think it'd be nice with how fast the thread is moving and how scattered they get.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
People got some real questionable hygiene around here

Well i left my xbox controller out and untouched gathering dust for months (had no interest on playing on xbox) and the thing had that yellowish/old looking tint all over it (yeah i felt like a fucking moron for not storing it properly)

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I think the white is very distracting, but whatever. What I find completely unnecessary is the removal of the color on buttons. I'm so sick of design choices taking precedence over accesibility features, and companies assuming you have every button memorized. A lot of people remember buttons better by color than by icon.

Yea, I completely agree with you about their decision to take out colour from the face buttons. I know that the Xbone Elite controllers feature the same design philosophy. I just don't why Sony decided it was a good idea to adopt it for their controller.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I'm meh on it. Looks like it will be more comfortable but also I hope that design scheme doesn't hold over to the system itself. I wish the dpad would have changed as well

It's like if the Xbox and PS controller had a baby.

it has accents of both of them. There seems to be a general basis for controllers though with the Pro, Xbox and DualSense having a somewhat similar design

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Personally I have always preferred the Xbox controllers so the new design is good news for me. Hopefully the DS6 will fix the stick position as well.
Mixed feelings on the look.

Oct 28, 2017
Those poll choices sure are interesting choices of words. I don't even understand what the second one is trying to imply. Is that some meme or inside joke I'm missing?

It takes courage?

draculabyte

Video Game and Metal Mashup Shirt Design
Verified
Jun 20, 2019
I find the PS3 controller a little easier to use if it could be upgraded in a few spots.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I like the alternate colors and the D-Pad. Dislike the default colors and the no 3.5mm jack.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I'll gladly take a white controller if there are NO FUCKING LIGHTS. I hate all these lights on controllers, now that's distracting. I hope that blue isn't a light but I'm assuming it will be.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Black controllers and consoles are so 2010s.

This is 2020.

I've noticed that interior design over the past year or two is starting to move past the sterile hospital room look that was all the rage for awhile and starting to introduce color again. I'd love for console design to follow. Give me the same options I had back in the day with the N64.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Era and most social media ballooned alarmingly fast. The vast majority of the discussion revolves around controversy in the aesthetic and design. This is one of the biggest brands in entertainment, so you can bet your sweet ass this matters to people. Again, it won't make or break the console, but it certainly counts.

Also, a lot of folk actually do look at their controllers. If you don't play games a lot, if you use different sets of hardware, if you are trying a new game and need to reference the layout. You aren't glued to it, but glancing at it or studying it is commonplace. This topic has merit.
A controversial design means lots of people are talking about it. It doesn't mean much beyond that at this point. Like I said, none of this will matter once we actually get our hands on the controller. If it feels good in the hands then that's what matters the most to players.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017

What they should do is put LED lights back there and have the option to toggle it on or off.