• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017
It's a common design trick to make something look thinner. I guess Sony designers do not like bulky look which Xbox controllers have.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
FTo28y1.jpg
I wish Sony would bring back the OG PlayStation logo colors, they were cool

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't look that bad tbh. Why not just call it the dualshock 5 thou? I like the microphone addition but it will get lost on me if I get the system as I use headsets anyways.

I'm sure it will come in different colors so I would not worry about that too much. Black and grey ones would be nice.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not getting what the issue is, its pretty much the same as before with a curved top. It looks very good but I think it'd look even better in black.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I know some people are cool with this marketing. But I'm just not a fan of the random drops. Taking all the fun out of a new console launch for me.

Controller looks fine.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm not much of a tech person, but the "haptic feedback" stuff in here makes me think of Nintendo's HD rumble. Should I expect it to be pretty similar, or not really?

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
It does have a lightbar though. Is it distinctive enough to be trackable? No clue.

But I doubt that it will be relevant for PSVR2. Surprised to see that it doesn't have any obvious trackable elemnts though, I wonder how it's going to be tracked at all. Maybe PSVR2 will only work with the new hand controllers.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they tested the new lightbar and it works. It is possible. Or maybe they simply do not care for the compatibility with the small percentage of PSVR games that require DS4 because they know that: (a) people can use DS4 with PS4 and (b) in a year or two they are going to release PSVR 2 which will solve these problems.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hope developers have the sense not to max out the haptic feedback so it doesn't buzz annoyingly like 99% of Switch games.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Since they went this far, I hope they unapologetically went with the same grip/hold as the Xbox controller. Man the black color fan edits, just makes me hate the two tone even more lol. Thirst is real though!

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
It sure is ugly.

I like the built in mic. Haptic feedback....isn't that just rumble? Not sure this is revolutionary.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like the design.

No doubt they'll have more neutral colour options for people who think black and white is too high-contrast.
Yeah, the black/white looks neat and just seeing all these variants that can potentially look very good is a very good sign of the various colors can look, also that side view of the controller makes it look like it'll feel very comfortable like the DS4, just like they talked about in the blog.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did, because symmetry doesn't mean anything at all whatsoever on a controller with so many elements. The two items on a controller I use most are the sticks, so placing them where our thumbs rest naturally is a smarter design than putting them both where you have to stretch to reach them. That's not a matter of opinion, that's just an ergonomics fact. Doesn't bother some people, bothers others. The Wii U Pro controller was actually the best controller in this regard.
Once again what you say doesn't make sense. Having two sticks not in the same symmetrical position means one thumb is in a different position than the other. It's not possible for both thumbs to be in the most IDEAL positions if both sticks are asymmetrical. I'm not sure what you're on about but I'm glad Sony isn't changing their controller. You have options, so take them. People like myself will continue loving their controllers.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think leaving the pad black would have been nice,
o1HaTjN.jpg

The more I look at it, the more fine I am with the white, I am sure it will look vastly different in person anyway.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I still believe the retail version will have the front buttons with colors, they are too iconic to ditch them.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's too chunky for horizontal analog placement. The reason the Xbox controller can be chunky is because of the diagonal analog placement. It seems your hands will feel stretched.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they tested the new lightbar and it works. It is possible. Or maybe they simply do not care for the compatibility with the small percentage of PSVR games that require DS4 because they know that: (a) people can use DS4 with PS4 and (b) in a year or two they are going to release PSVR 2 which will solve these problems.
But how will the new controller be tracked by PSVR2? It doesn't seem to be built with any form of known accurate tracking methods in mind, AFAICS.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
Glad the patented auto-fast-forward feature has returned!

Why in the world can't they just have the controller plastic extend further down? I know they improved it over the ps3 controller by shifting the center of rotation, but it's still easy to put the controller down wrong and engage the shoulder buttons.

49747502797_ba4ef26976_3k.jpg

Otherwise I think this is a pretty cool looking controller. I nice evolution of the dual shock. Excited to see how the haptic feedback feels.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Woah, that design is ugly :/ Any other color scheme looks a lot better than the pic they shared though. Weird decision.

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
I think leaving the pad black would have been nice,
o1HaTjN.jpg

The more I look at it, the more fine I am with the white, I am sure it will look vastly different in person anyway.

Yes, that looks even better! But I don't mind the white either.

Honestly, I'm surprised that Sony even went with a complete redesign of the controller. I was expecting the DS4 general shape to be used for at least another generation with minor modifications.