• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should the abbreviation be?

• DS

Votes: 341 13.4%
  • DS5

Votes: 1,674 65.6%
  • DSe

Votes: 181 7.1%
  • DSns

Votes: 37 1.4%
  • DSense

Votes: 295 11.6%
  • Other (comment)

Votes: 25 1.0%

• Total voters

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This..... is the most beautiful controller I have ever seen!
Getting major Mass Effect 3 Normany Alliance blue and white color vibes from this... LOVE IT.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine the console will be a V shape with a seemingly white shell housing the black base.

playstation-5-770x535-696b.jpg

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone mocked up a dev kit in white and black yet? I really hope the launch retail console is black and white.

Joo

May 25, 2018
added the colored PS logo to the colored face buttons
FTo28y1.jpg

Definitely prefer this colouring 100% over the white one, but other than that the design looks great!

I just hope the inevitable black option for console&controller is available at launch. Imo this also confirms that at least one look for the console will be white/partly white.

foxbeldin

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, not sure I understand people calling it ugly. What makes a controller look good? I'm not looking at my controller when I'm playing. As long as it's comfortable that's all I care about.
Yeah. People hoping they'll be able to play with a ds4 are willing to sacrifice new features for something that looks better (in their opinion) but that they won't see while playing. Smh.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
"We murdered a stormtrooper for his armor. Also, we took away the Share button, but added it back under a new name."

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
The design looks great.
I'd probably prefer that theoretical all black variant above (or all white) rather than the mixed colors, but that looks pretty good too.

Not clearly visible when you just look at the whole picture of the pad, but I appreciate the little touch of transparency on the buttons as visible below
Pad%20PS5%20-%203.jpg
Very cool to see that again.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
After working on editing the controller for a few images, I feel the shape of the controller is pretty good. Its just the Two tone, using black and white, makes it really hard to read. It was not the best move in my opinion to show of a new shape.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are the market leader. Nothing to do with being Sony centric.... they are a more popular brand. Just look at the social media metrics in like an hour on twitter and Instagram
Thats irrelevant on a forum of enthusiasts, sorry, we could have equal amounts of gamers from all sides of the gaming, the market doesn't dictate that, in fact we had quite a few more Nintendo fans relative to Switch market share for instance early on.

Don't rely on social media metrics, it's just noise, plenty of games recieved massive attention, like Death Stranding & Dreams, but don't end up benefitting from it that much. It's just spikes of chatter, nothing concrete due to so many variables. I wouldn't use that as sign of anything meaningful apart from a fnabase being active.

Last edited:

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
I can't believe we have grown ass adults that still can't get used to different stick positions. Like, I learned back in the SNES/Genesis days that different controllers are meant to be gripped differently.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guess what? Your taste in design isn't the end all be all here.

You're acting like "good design" means fuck all when it comes to aesthetics. That shit is ALWAYS changing and it's never some universal truth. Get off that horse.

In the last 15 years, nearly every controller has moved towards a more uniform and easy to convey design language. Experts spend millions of dollars, consult countless sources, and throw a zillion ideas at the wall. Despite that, controller layouts usually fall on a spectrum between a PS1 and an Xbox 360 controller.

I am saying this because my taste isn't the end-all. The sheer success and relative satisfaction reported from consumers from years of iterative controller designs reinforces that they were already on a positive trajectory. So when you make decisions that further depart from something that works, people are understandably skeptical or upset. It's why an overwhelming majority of user data gathered from folks on platforms like Steam suggests people like the Microsoft style layout and Nintendo style dpads. There are things that are rigorously tried and tested.

Sony intends to buck all that apparently and just go with their own thing they are convinced will work, which wouldn't be the first time.

Oh and having an inviting aesthetic is part of good design. I would stake my life on their being plenty of folks who look at bubbly/futuristic look and immediately get turned off. That's a problem for a whole host of logistical reasons.

So why don't you get off your horse assuming I am upset just because it's ugly. I have a vested interest in hardware just like a lot of folks here, I build my own PCs and repair consoles. I spend a lot of time looking at their insides and outsides. I also spend a lot of time researching why some fail. Marketing and appearances is often an understated part of that.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
It actually makes me think of PS4 Spidey design on top of the Astrobot and Vita comparisons.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
This is the first time ditched the DualShock name: they didn't do it on PS3 and PS4 even when they added major features. Also this is the first console that Sony won't launch as being black by default, that is sicne the PS1 which was new to the market back then. It seems Sony is trying to market the PS5 is a big departure and a hinge product for the brand. What I don't dig is the removal of colours from the iconic buttons. Now it gonna be very confusing to tapl those buttons when displayed on screen even in QTEs because people recognized those buttons in their subconscious mind by the colours. This was a problem back then during PSP and PS Vita days.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did, because symmetry doesn't mean anything at all whatsoever on a controller with so many elements. The two items on a controller I use most are the sticks, so placing them where our thumbs rest naturally is a smarter design than putting them both where you have to stretch to reach them. That's not a matter of opinion, that's just an ergonomics fact. Doesn't bother some people, bothers others. The Wii U Pro controller was actually the best controller in this regard.

This is patently false. Where your thumbs need to be is dictated by the games, so there is no standard "naturally falls" placement to rely on. Furthermore, the D-pad and analog stick are both easy, comfortable and accurate in their positions using the dualshock layout, whereas the Xbox layout has always resulted in a D-pad that is awkward to use and prone to erroneous input.