• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
INTRODUCING BALLOTS 2.0

Several months ago we introduced the Ballots feature to streamline big community votes and to fully incorporate the voting system into the forum software. As a proof of concept we deployed it for our Game of the Decade (2010-2019) awards vote and learned a lot from that experience. Although the vote was successful, we identified several bottlenecks that delayed the processing of the results. We also collected a lot of user feedback. By far the biggest complaint was that due to technical constraints, Ballots did not support the traditional ranked choice format that had been used in previous GOTY votes.

In past years our GOTY vote would normally have started sooner than this, but as it turns out we had good reason for the delay: Our tech team has been hard at work for months now trying to solve the ranked choice problem. We're pleased to announce that we have finally succeeded.

RANKED CHOICE VOTING

When you write in your vote, an autocomplete feature will suggest options that match, all of which are perfectly formatted for your convenience. Once you've selected an option you can add another game to your ballot, all the way up to the limit of ten. The order of your list will matter; titles at the top are awarded more points. To change the order of your list, you can conveniently drag and drop your entries.

MyVNVT8.png

Ranked choice voting is not the only problem we've solved with Ballots 2.0. We've also tackled an issue that has dogged us since the beginning of the site.

VOTING CATEGORIES

Ever since our very first GOTY vote for the year 2017, members have complained that the category awards for things like best game of each platform have not been reflective of actual user preferences. As an example, the award for "Best PC Game" would go to the game that had the most overall votes as long as it had a PC version, regardless of which version the voters actually played. This led to some multiplatform games winning in categories that many found baffling.

Measures have been taken to address this.

For the first time ever Ballots 2.0 will now delineate between different versions of the same game. When you input the title of a game, the autocomplete feature will present a list of every version of that game. You can now choose which version you want to nominate specifically, ensuring that a title will not win "Best PC Game" because its console versions are popular, or vice versa.

R89Gp6T.png

The system will now automatically tally the platform, the genre, and the developer associated with every entry on every ballot. This makes it a cinch to determine the winner of those respective categories.

HOW TO VOTE

Voting with Ballots 2.0 couldn't be easier. When the voting thread goes live, a button titled "Vote" will be available at the bottom left of the reply box. Simply press it to get started.

Xv4i5W6.jpg

The autocomplete feature is powerful, but please keep in mind that it relies on correct and official spellings. For example, typing "eff" will bring up "Mass Effect" but "aff" will not. Typing "final" will bring up every game that includes that word anywhere in the title, but typing "Final Fantasy 7" will bring up nothing because it should be "Final Fantasy VII". If there are many possible matches, you will be able to scroll through them via a scroll bar on the right side.

ofseee7.png

Make sure that you always select autocomplete options to guarantee that your vote is formatted correctly and will be counted accurately. The system should recognize any game released in 2020, but if it is failing to recognize a game you're trying to nominate, please contact B-Dubs and/or Hecht.

The ResetEra Games of the Year 2020 Voting Thread will go live this Wednesday, January 27. Voting will be open until Monday, March 1st. Make your list and check it twice!

BONUS: THREAD TAGS UPDATE PREVIEW

In addition to the tireless work on Ballots 2.0, the tech team has been working on an update to the thread tags feature that we introduced last year. Based on the feedback we received from members, we're aiming to provide a cleaner, less distracting appearance, and also to make it more useful by offering the option to add multiple tags (with new options). This is still a work in progress, but we wanted to share a snapshot with you now.

w8n143f.png

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe worth putting commas or lines or dots or something in between each tag (as-is they seem like awkward sentences), but otherwise lookin great!

choog

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This is great!

Is there a specific voting system being used behind the RCV or is it up to whoever is running the poll?

OP
OP
b-dubs

b-dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
This is great!

Is there a specific voting system being used behind the RCV or is it up to whoever is running the poll?
It can be ranked choice (which we're doing for Game of the Year) or just a straight "most votes wins" ballot (which is all the original system supported).

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I would like to take complete credit for the new tag system after complaining about it on Discord earlier today.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is fantastic! thank you to every one who was involved in this.

I love this website. <3

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Came here to make a reference to MA and was beaten by the first post.

Well, at least I get to experience RCV somewhere sometime in my life.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Nice job with the ballots.

Gotta say though, March 1st seems very late. That means that we won't get know the 2020 Era Goty until early to mid March and by that point I think most people wouldn't really care (I'd say even by now basically everyone has done their awards).

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017

Gotta say though, March 1st seems very late. That means that we won't get know the 2020 Era Goty until early to mid March and by that point I think most people wouldn't really care (I'd say even by now basically everyone has done their awards).
Eh. This year's Academy Awards will take place in April of this year and I guarantee that many people will still give a damn about those.

There are still people here who are interested in their fellow forum members' choice of games they liked in 2020. The GOTY thread also acts as a recommendation list for any hidden gems released in the year that has been overlooked.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good that you worked it out with the ranking system. It's also good that the timeframe is longer to vote. I still have 5 more games to power through in a month.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

It starts in a few days, it only ends at that date. Even though I kidnapped the tech teams' families in order to get this all done I at least understand that it takes them some time to make things work. I think everything will be ok.

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
The GOTY thread also acts as a recommendation list for any hidden gems released in the year that has been overlooked.

This is the main reason I love the GOTY vote. I've always enjoyed using the community results, finding the closest lists to mine, and looking for games I missed. Plus, reading everyone's thoughts (for those that really write them out) is always great. The bonus for being so late this time will hopefully be sales / discounts!

I'm excited too see the ranked voting in action, and the fixed platform awards.

I seem to remember the autocomplete list from last time updating with user entries, which was how games that weren't from the decade would show up. I assume those auto-entries are going to be curated this time?

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
getting ranked choice voting before certain democracies. LMAO

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa, neat system. Will this sort of poll become a standard feature, or is it just for mega-vote threads like GOTY?

(Also, my first reaction to that image was "Wait, Animal Crossing is being listed as an RPG?" I assume there's no Simulation category at all...?)

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanna clarify - are the "Votes" part of your post, but completely separate from the text entered in the Reply box? So that you can type in whatever you want into the Reply box, including if you wanted to have write ups explaining your decisions and/or images for each game?

OP
OP
b-dubs

b-dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, neat system. Will this sort of poll become a standard feature, or is it just for mega-vote threads like GOTY?

(Also, my first reaction to that image was "Wait, Animal Crossing is being listed as an RPG?" I assume there's no Simulation category at all...?)
Well, users can't turn it on, but if anyone would like to use this for a thread I'd be more than happy to set it up for them.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
All games of 2020 seems like a bold claim, but... I'm sure there are release lists to import.

If it has 5D Chess with Multiverse Time Travel, it's probably good.

Last edited:

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People complained about the categories? I mean, ok, sure, doing more with them is cool but this is still a popularity contest, not an awards show.

Also: is Most Anticipated 2021 still happening this year?

pariah164

Oct 25, 2017
Can we still list our reasons for voting for those games? Or is it just vote, no explaining needed?

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
The new ballots look great, nice work.

I also like how the tag system is coming along, that should be helpful in the future.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This all sounds great, can't wait to see it in action. Kudos to the tech team!