• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I got into a conversation with my neighbor the other day about art and media, and being a gaming fan games naturally came up. We were talking about understanding the language of another medium and the prior knowledge usually required to get a basic grasp on what makes something new or exciting. He then asked me to show him some video games cause all he ever sees his son play are violent shooters and he remembers games more like Pac Man which he found more entertaining. I assured him there was more than just online shooters out there.

So my question to everybody is, how would you go about informing somebody with little knowledge about games as a medium? I'd probably do more showing than having him play. I have a few ideas already of what I'd want to show and how to go about it, but the reality is that video games as a medium is incredibly varied. I own hundreds of games and over a dozen systems but I know for a fact that even if I showed him everything I had there'd be posters here proclaiming that I'm missing out on so much - and I would almost certainly say the same to them.

For simplicity, I figure I'd start with Mario as an anchor. Start with Donkey Kong, then Mario, Mario 3, maybe Mario World, 64, Galaxy, maaaybe NSMBU, 3D World and finally Odyssey. Perhaps throw in Kart for SNES and Switch.

I was also thinking of showing some Yu Suzuki games like Outrun, Hang On, Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter and finally Shenmue.

Somewhere in the middle I'd throw in NiGHTS just to confuse the shit out of him - but also to answer his question of what game led me to view the medium in a completely new light.

There are just too many options. Stick with a genre and show it evolving? Stick with a system and show the variety? Stick with a director/producer or developer and show how they've grown? What would you do?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't treat it as a history lesson. I think you are taking the wrong approach. This shouldn't be a 'look how far games have progressed' exercise. Introduce them to something that they can connect with. Don't try to sell gaming, just let them have fun.

This is awesome by the way, let us know how it goes.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always think older people would love RDR once they got core shooter mechanics nailed. It's only as hard as you want it to be, and they'd love the setting.

It's not a starter game, I'll give you that.

Edit: no way! lol

Tarantism

Nov 8, 2017
IMO that's far too intensive for someone who is completely new to the medium. I would basically just show them Donkey Kong and then Mario Odyssey rather than every game in between.

I would go with something like Flower. Something simple enough that he could try and play it himself if he wanted to.

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
My aunt around that age likes to watch her daughter play. She's always impressed with the scenery of things like Assassins Creed, especially when its historically accurate.

I think the Mario line should be:
Bros
Galaxy or Odyssey
Maybe Mario Maker?

Anything else will look too similar to him.

Modern racing games are always graphically impressive.

Cuphead might be significant to him.

Finally, maybe something zany like Katamari.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Don't treat it as a history lesson. I think you are taking the wrong approach. This shouldn't be a 'look how far games have progressed' exercise. Introduce them to something that they can connect with. Don't try to sell gaming, just let them have fun.

I agree with this. Your original list seems way too long for someone who isn't looking for a history lesson.

I think you should show off a few games in different genres that evoke different emotions and experiences instead of going through gaming's history.

I'm not sure what you should all include, but I think Animal Crossing should probably be included, given it's the coziest series ever and therefore the polar opposite of what his son plays.

OP
OP
julian

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead Redemption. I bet that guy loves cowboys.
I always think older people would love RDR once they got core shooter mechanics nailed. It's only as hard as you want it to be, and they'd love the setting.

It's not a starter game, I'll give you that.

Edit: no way! lol
Lol. So I point out I want to show games aren't all shooty shooty bang bang and you both mention RDR?

....but he has pulled a gun on renters trespassing on the roof, so maybe you're right.

I'm not sure he's interested in actually playing, he seemed more interested in learning about the medium. I think I might start this way and then maybe take detours on systems and see if something catches then go from there. Again, think of Mario more like an anchor than the actual point.

My aunt around that age likes to watch her daughter play. She's always impressed with the scenery of things like Assassins Creed, especially when its historically accurate.

I think the Mario line should be:
Bros
Galaxy or Odyssey
Maybe Mario Maker?

Anything else will look too similar to him.

Modern racing games are always graphically impressive.

Cuphead might be significant to him.

Finally, maybe something zany like Katamari.
I think 3 is a solid evolution and relates to what our conversation was about. But I agree that World is basically superfluous which is why I added "maybe"...I just know how much it's loved here and didn't wanna hear how I was wrong to skip it.
I was definitely thinking of throwing in Katamari - it's just so wonderful and different, but he's been off drugs for a while so maybe not.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
My mom likes watching me play Link's Awakening.
And, for some reason, egging me to shoot people in the head with the bow in Far Cry.
WTF mom?

She doesn't like playing anything but Candy Crush though.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like the others said, you're going at it from the entirely wrong perspective. You can't just sit him down and have a lecture on videogame history, nobody is gonna be interested in that if they have no prior knowledge of the industry or something. He wanted to see games that aren't shooting people, yes? Show him that. Show him stuff like minecraft, and maybe something like RdR2 for the "look how they simulate the wild west" despite the violence in it. You could just avoid shooting people there.

Like he's not gonna be interested in looking at mario games for nintendo 64 just to see how games "used to look"

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol. So I point out I want to show games aren't all shooty shooty bang bang and you both mention RDR?

....but he has pulled a gun on renters trespassing on the roof, so maybe you're right.

I was guessing you were making the no shooting assertion, and being an older gent he probably loves it!

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does he have stuff he likes? Like is he a horror fan? fantasy? scifi? history? any particular history? maybe show him some civilisation stuff if he likes that.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Show him stuff like Sim City or Minecraft or Subnautica or other stuff where you build something.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
Maybe let him play some very easy to control Games Like Flower or Abzu

Piggsy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It sounds like you want to transmit your all knowledge and love for gaming developed in a lifetime to this guy. It's not going to happen. I would say show him games easy to pickup and play for someone who never play before, like a 2D scroller or a graphic adventure. Focus on one system only, and you can add more stuff as he tells you what he liked.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
I got into a conversation with my neighbor the other day about art and media, and being a gaming fan games naturally came up. We were talking about understanding the language of another medium and the prior knowledge usually required to get a basic grasp on what makes something new or exciting. He then asked me to show him some video games cause all he ever sees his son play are violent shooters and he remembers games more like Pac Man which he found more entertaining. I assured him there was more than just online shooters out there.

So my question to everybody is, how would you go about informing somebody with little knowledge about games as a medium? I'd probably do more showing than having him play. I have a few ideas already of what I'd want to show and how to go about it, but the reality is that video games as a medium is incredibly varied. I own hundreds of games and over a dozen systems but I know for a fact that even if I showed him everything I had there'd be posters here proclaiming that I'm missing out on so much - and I would almost certainly say the same to them.

For simplicity, I figure I'd start with Mario as an anchor. Start with Donkey Kong, then Mario, Mario 3, maybe Mario World, 64, Galaxy, maaaybe NSMBU, 3D World and finally Odyssey. Perhaps throw in Kart for SNES and Switch.

I was also thinking of showing some Yu Suzuki games like Outrun, Hang On, Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter and finally Shenmue.

Somewhere in the middle I'd throw in NiGHTS just to confuse the shit out of him - but also to answer his question of what game led me to view the medium in a completely new light.

There are just too many options. Stick with a genre and show it evolving? Stick with a system and show the variety? Stick with a director/producer or developer and show how they've grown? What would you do?

This is a discussion of games as an artistic medium. I'd pic 3 games to show off as much breadth as you can. I'd chose Breath of the Wild to show freeform, and peaceful a game can be, and to show off the world like a living landscape painting, as well as how inventive you can be in dealing with its challenges. I'd pick something like Mario 3D World or Donkey Kong TF to show off how games can create funky abstract worlds that are fun, and provide challenges to your reflexes. And I'd pick something like Untitled Goose game to demonstrate how far you can push your imagination to come up with something as fun as it is off the wall. And again, more creative thinking.

Just to repeat some of the above posters. Don't treat this as a history lesson. To someone only mildly curious, that could be a slog and a turn off. You can do that if he actually expresses interest in it. If he just wants to see even more variety, then pick another varied 3 examples. Like a good horror game, or Metroid, or a turn based RPG.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States

This. Big and concise with your initial choices. I'd go with MYST, Journey or Abzu, and The Witness in that order.

Nice to see you giving this so much thought though. More people appreciating games is always a good thing.

OP
OP
julian

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I get why people are against a history lesson but our conversation was about having a history and built-in knowledge about a medium when you experience new things in it, so it's relevant. It's not going to be everything I show nor will I spend significant time with each Mario game (unless he wants to). It's an anchor.

If I just want him to have fun with video games, I feel like I've got plenty of games to throw at him and likely will as we play. I was more curious what people would do if asked a similar question.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wii Sports is the obvious choice here.

Or maybe Forza Horizon 4 with all the driving assists on to start. Or Assassin's Creed Odyssey's discovery tour mode.

Stuff like BotW and the 3D Mario games are pretty complicated to begin with, I find people new to games struggle with turning their player and the camera independently. AssCreed in tour mode is at least pretty slow, so there's no issue with stopping, turning, moving, stopping, and turning.

Last edited:

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I''d start with a game that is just fun. A lot of older people seem to like immersive RPGs. Red Dead, as suggested, has that wow factor. Maybe the controls would be too difficult for a complete beginner, though. Diablo 3 played co-op is approachable and entertaining. Maybe a point-and-click, something like The Wolf Among Us or Life Is Strange.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
If you're talking about experiencing something new in the medium I think showing off the shift from 2D to 3D would accomplish that. Show an old 2D Mario game and then Mario 64. No reason to show him every single Mario ever made. Sunshine, Galaxy, 3D World, Odyssey will all look the same to him no doubt, but the clear distinction between 2D and 3D will be a big deal.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
IMO that's far too intensive for someone who is completely new to the medium. I would basically just show them Donkey Kong and then Mario Odyssey rather than every game in between.

That's what I'd suggest. If he has a continued interest in the games, then show some of the "in-between" games, so he can see how the series has evolved.

If you want something fun for two players, then how about the original Mario Bros.? That's something that he could play with you, or with his son. It's still one of the best head-to-head games, even after all of these years.

I would go with something like Flower. Something simple enough that he could try and play it himself if he wanted to.
Maybe let him play some very easy to control Games Like Flower or Abzu

Yeah, both of these are excellent games for someone looking for something relaxing and nonviolent.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
That's a lot of games, are you sitting this dude down for a 2 hour presentation or something?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Any game you don't need to control the camera, or has to manage inventory, or need to aim fast...

I would start with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Mar 29, 2018

Yup.

Don't start with Mario and Suzuki games.

Start with some of the best, purest, simplest games of the last few years. Start current and show him the state of the art.

Stuff like...
- Undertale (with the pacifist approach)
- Stardew Valley (to show him more zen and strategic gaming)
- Witcher 3 (to show him rich reactive narratives)
- Life Is Strange (to show him non violent narrative stuff)
- Uncharted or LOU to show him best in class cinematic capture (Star Wars Jedi might be better for this, very compelling)

None of these games are too hard to grasp or too intense (except maybe the last option) so should get the point across nicely

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Don't start with arcade'y games. Start with story games that started with limited technology. Start with Lucas arts adventures.

FirLocke

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, he strikes me as a guy who would appreciate knowing why someone likes such and such. So, showing him notable games is a good idea, but alongside that I think that showing him your favourite games, and expressing why you love them so much might affect or impress him more.

Like, you showing him Nights but also expressing why it led you to view the medium in a new light would probably intrigue him more. Awesome opportunity anyway, keep us updated!

TL;DR - show him Final Fantasy X, I dunno :P or maybe No More Heroes or Ape Escape for uh, interesting use of their controllers!

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Show him Disco Elysium which perfectly illustrates the added value of games compared to e.g. a book or a movie and features fantastic writing and storytelling. It's basically the polar opposite of online shooters.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

So much this. The games that introduced us to games are not the best way for someone new to get into a game. Also don't get sidetracked by taking them on a tour of what are generally regarded as critical hits of less "gamey" games, or critical hits or anything that seemingly attempts to validate the genre. Try to pick out ones that are absolutely forgiving, that assist rather than demand the gamer persist. They have a journey to go on before they can get there. Nintendo dumping assist modes into Mario and Kart on Switch was a really good idea.

IF they have an Apple device, an Apple Arcade subscription could be pretty awesome. There are an incredibly array of immediate and engaging titles on there already.

EDIT:

For context - my dad is over 80 and is a hardcore Elderscrolls player, but he has been on the journey since PSone - going through Final Fantasy games, Wild Arms, that sort of jazz. I wouldn't drop anyone in at that deep end absolutely raw.

EDIT 2:

If you're really wanting to do a tour of the medium and how it has developed, I would say a documentary would be way way way more engaging than just going through all the old titles. Much more to be gained in an oral history than to attempt to live 35 years accelerated. Even Red Bull's Digging In The Carts (which is music orientated) gives a great insight into the impact of Japanese gaming as a cultural force over the generations.

Last edited:

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
i mean, im into games and if you sat me down to check out that many games i'd tap out after the 2nd NES game you booted up.

stick with something recent and relaxing. like, no fail states. a 'walking sim' game if you will.

Detroit Become Human would be my pick

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro.

tenor.gif

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Yeah why would you show him old games? go straight to the point.

Show him some walking sims, my bet is Edith Finch since is really short. Maybe SOMA or Alien Isolation.

The Last of Us and Uncharted are pretty violent games so maybe not those but he'll like to see some movielike games you can't find any better.

Show him The Last Guardian or Shadow of the Colossus Remake.

Assassin's Creed Origins has a history tour mode, might be interesting.

Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey for sure if you wanna show him how games from the past have evolved.