• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017

I'm watching this just now (while ill as fuck and unable to sleep) so no recap from me yet, but she talks about the recent Steven Crowder/Carlos Maza situation, as well as the 14 year old alt-righter known as Soph and the policy update regarding hate speech/conspiracy theories etc.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
"We don't want to knee jerk"

Tells you everything

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"If we took down that content, there's so much more we'd need to take down."

Yeah, no shit. Do it.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
She basically admits they have no idea how to handle a platform of this size. Fucking Christ.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
She basically admits they have no idea how to handle a platform of this size. Fucking Christ.
Not really too bad of an admission. YT is an anomaly in terms of internet phenomena. It has a defacto monopoly on internet video content. It's everywhere. And it's free to use for both creators and viewers.

That's rather insane.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Will watch but the pull quotes you guys have provided give me a first glance review of "are you fucking serious"

Let's see if it stacks up. Not expecting much because YouTube is the 3rd biggest major trash fire on the internet (after Facebook and Twitter, respectively)

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
The moral move would to be to replace her and other admins at Youtube with leadership experienced in actual moderation, they clearly have no intention of handling internet hatred. We don't live in that world though.

She has been a successful CEO for money, a horrible one for PR and action.

Deleted member 25702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Still in spin mode. No one is asking for changes; we want the rules to be applied as-written. YouTube somehow gets away with a system that can be abused by corporations and bad actors and take down innocent accounts regularly, but refuses to apply its own guidelines through proper channels.
Happy Pride.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So evidently repeated, targetted, bigotted harassment of a person is "non-violative" of their non-harassment policies.

Bull.
Fucking.
Shit.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
If they banned all their users who are bigoted shitmongers then they would have to ban 75% of their members and I don't think YouTube is going to do that.

The least they could do is crack down on the more prominent ones though.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, 12 minutes in, this is stupid as fuck. Her reasonings are so fucking stupid. Like, the videos weren't dedicated to calling the guy homophobic slurs, so they originally decided it was fine that he occasionally did. Fuck off!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The moral move would to be to replace her and other admins at Youtube with leadership experienced in actual moderation, they clearly have no intention of handling internet hatred. We don't live in that world though.

She has been a successful CEO for money, a horrible one for PR and action.
I think that will be the move, they getting a lot of heat so I wouldn't be shocked if they used her as a scapegoat.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
From listening to all that, she (and since she is the CEO, YouTube) sincerely think that as long as they demonetize these people, they've solved the problem. All of the content can still stay up, and new content can be created, as long as YouTube isn't actually sending money (or more to the point, as long as advertisers aren't getting pissed at them for the videos their ads are playing on).

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Paraphrasing: 'We can't have legislators try to regulate us for public safety because there might be (gasp) unintended consequences... but we're still struggling with our search algorithm and unintended consequences happen. C'est la vie.'

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017

"I know the decision we made was very hurtful to LGBTQ community," Wojcicki said, speaking at Code Conference. "That was not our intention at all."

Sorry you were offended.

As for whether YouTube has contributed to the radicalization of the right, Wojcicki declined to answer directly. "Our view is we are offering a diverse set of content to users," she said.

We're going to pretend none of this happening and extol the virtues of free speech techno-libertarianism over any actual societal good.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
There's so much controversial content on the platform right now, it would be a lot of work to get it done. But if someone has to do it, it's them. Clean that shit.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
At the end of the day it's tech libertarian bullshit.

They only care about the public perception. If news outlets start spreading it that's only when they take action.

For example look at all the reprehensible subreddits that get removed the moment a news article shines a spotlight on it.

Before that, these people will gladly host and support.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
Here is the problem for Youtube. It is massive and it is impossible to regulate. So why are they? If they can't enforce their own guidelines then why even have guidelines?

There is a pretty strong argument here that by no following their own guidelines they have no right to enforce them on others. Otherwise it's discrimination.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Here is the problem for Youtube. It is massive and it is impossible to regulate. So why are they? If they can't enforce their own guidelines then why even have guidelines?

There is a pretty strong argument here that by no following their own guidelines they have no right to enforce them on others. Otherwise it's discrimination.
It's impossible to regulate. Except when copyright is involved xD

Oct 25, 2017
Casey Newton of The Verge sums up thoughts on YT quite well and how she handled herself:

The more I reflect on YouTube's current moment, the more I believe that the outrage against it stems from the company's lack of accountability to the world. Whatever decisions YouTube makes, the world has no real recourse, even as creators like Maza suffer real-world harm in the meantime. We focus on what the policies say, and which of them the company chooses to enforce, but the larger story in my mind is the way that YouTube became a quasi-state without also developing a credible system of justice.

The outrage against YouTube will not be quelled through a clearer statement of its rules, or through an adjustment to them. Its size is too big, its decisions too consequential, and its executives too unaccountable to those that they represent. If Google hopes to fix what's wrong with YouTube in the long term, I would start the discussion there.

rein

Apr 16, 2018
Yeah it's just corporate bullshit that doesn't actually address the problems highlighted.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

I'm glad the "sorry you were offended" tone was questioned. Lots of talk and no specific actions detailed other than promises of taking down videos.

Lots of repeating of diversion tactics like see what happened in last 2 years and stop focusing on the negative news stories and painting journalists as wanting to do hit pieces every week.

That threat stuff if it's one moment in an hour video is absolute rubbish cause you give specific timestamps to make YouTube's job easy.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
The moral move would to be to replace her and other admins at Youtube with leadership experienced in actual moderation, they clearly have no intention of handling internet hatred.

There isn't anyone experienced with actual moderation at YouTube's scale. It is silly to suggest anyone is.

To be perfectly honest I am very much increasingly of the position that large platforms can't be moderated and the attempts to do so are going to crash around our ears over the next few years.

Avi Smith

Banned
Sep 15, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Inflammatory whataboutism; account still in junior phase
i think what she's really saying there is "if we started banning people on the right we'd also have to ban people on the left" ignoring that the right-wingers are literally nazis
Far right extrememtist are nazis well done. But you are literally ignoring far left as communist.. Why do ypu think the lives of those killed under Moa or Stalin does not count?

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pure unscented trash. My only hope is that as millennials take over more positions of power, regulation will hit these shit sucking tech companies so hard we wouldn't even recognize them currently. Or just dissolve them completely for the damage already done. Either way is good.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Far right extrememtist are nazis well done. But you are literally ignoring far left as communist.. Why do ypu think the lives of those killed under Moa or Stalin does not count?
ignoring the fact that you are both sides-ing the situation when right-wing violence in the last few decades outstrips anything left-wingers have done by a few orders of magnitude, maybe it has something to do with the fact that fascism is inherently genocidal while communism is not