• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Dude is a real piece of shit.
The studio creating the next Earthworm Jim title remains silent after one of the game's co-creators made a series of racist and homophobic remarks on multiple recent episodes of a podcast he co-hosts with a comic book creator.

Over the course of episodes 54, 55, and 56 of the podcast Audio Mullet, Doug TenNapel engaged in multiple discussions of Black Lives Matter and recent protests by the movement that included a number of racist comments toward and suggestions about the group [CW: Racism].

These included likening Black Lives Matter and its protestors to Hitler, which he did briefly in episode #56 at 5:53 and previously in #55 at 11:05, where at the suggestion of his co-host that there were some well-meaning individuals involved in the Black Lives Matter protests, TenNapel replied, "Hitler was well-meaning, so I don't want to hear about your intentions. He was just 'exterminating rats.'"

To this, his co-host responded that he was referring to "liberal Christians" who were "just trying to make everyone feel better."

"Yeah that liberal Christian guy was putting Jews on trains in France," TenNapel replied. "That's what I'm saying. He was doing it with the best of intentions."

In episode #54 at 6:05, TenNapel said, "The Black culture and Black communities are not doing well. They, too, are still the fallout victim of their own ignorance -- and maybe their own willful ignorance, or fatherlessness, or whatever -- so it's not all whitey's problem."

And in episode #55, beginning around 68:55, TenNapel said this of those affiliated with the Black Lives Matter movement and the recent protests over the killing of George Floyd:

"All these people rioting and the people against it and the people pro-Black Lives Matter and the people voting for Trump -- no one changed their values in the last year. They've been set. So why are we rioting now? They were given cultural cover to unleash their revenge fantasy. The riots were in their hearts already, and they were given the cultural excuse. They were practically praying that a Black man would have a cop kneel on him so he'd die. Antifa did, Antifa loves exploiting. They were thrilled that happened. 'Thank goodness, now I can take my hammer and bash out car windows along this block.'"

Additionally in episode #55, in response to a reader letter criticizing TenNapel's previous use on the podcast of a homophobic slur (#55, 29:50), TenNapel defended his use of both the mentioned slur as well as an additional racist slur and a derogatory word for women, attesting that their use was no different than using the words "god damn" or thinking insulting thoughts about other people.

TenNapel also called COVID-19 "fake" and "a fraud" on multiple episodes (#55, 3:00 and #56,16:00).
www.gamesindustry.biz

Interplay silent on Earthworm Jim developer's racist, homophobic remarks

Update August 7, 2020: In a message to GamesBeat, Earthworm Jim original co-creator Doug TenNapel stated that he had on…

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
He's been shitty for a while, and his views shaped the characters of Earthworm Jim, which especially sucks. Not sure how that could ever be remedied without direct acknowledgement

P.S.
fuck you, TenNapel.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I know he co-created EWJ, and it's well-known that he's a bigoted asshat, but is he directly involved with the new game's development?

EDIT: If not, then they could easily come out and just denounce his views, I'd think (which they should do irregardless).

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Oh yeah, pretty much remember how much of piece of shit he is

Edit: fuck it's worse than i thought, asshole literally said that Hitler was "well-meaning" and was just "exterminating rats", like WTF

Last edited:

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I know he co-created EWJ, and it's well-known that he's a bigoted asshat, but is he directly involved with the new game's development?
I mean, even if he's not getting royalties in some capacity, characters like "Professor Monkey for a Head" are supposed to be mockery of evolutionist theory

what else of his regressive views shaped the world of EWJ?

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
He's listed as a creative consultant.

Ah, they should still come out and denounce his views. For those unaware, he apparently sees no problem with things like saying "f*g" routinely on his podcast, etc. That alone deserves a statement when the dude's name is in your game's credits.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Don't forget that he's also transphobic!

Dude totally sucks. Loved Earthworm Jim in the 90's but hard pass on a remake if he's involved.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
"Whether its religion, politics, beliefs, cultures, etc...when we as human beings sit down and spend real time with each other to discuss things...it's always fascinating to me to find out how much everyone actually has more common ground than not," Tallarico wrote. [All ellipses in original.]
The reponse to when asked about the dude. Holy shit like he didn't even listen to the question

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Does Interplay ever talk about anything? Do they even have a PR team? Earthworm Jim is like, the only card they have left so - and while this isn't ideal - I don't think it is all at surprising that they wouldn't want to rock the boat if they have a new Jim coming out. How many people are really gonna buy this game anyway? Isn't it just on the Amico?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the game exclusive to the intellivision thing?

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
He's the only person (I know off) to ever block me on Twitter. The racism stuff and earlier trans/homophobia is inexcusable and the worst but the c19 deniers are such corncobs.

eatthworm jim sucks and the neverhood came from outer space

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
They're making a new one?

The designs were really imaginative but the guy is a massive jerk.

Oh and the original games haven't aged that well in the gameplay department. Really weird feeling controls

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure Interplay is just a shell with like five employees at this point. They were looking to sell a bunch of their IPs, and I've heard stories about the current CEO being very reluctant to actually spend any money on game development.

How can you be filled with as much hate as TenNapel is? Cripes.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
That reminds me that the final boss of Earthworm Jim 3D, despite Tennapel being removed fairly early on and disavowing the whole thing, was a transphobic joke.

Although Earthworm Jim 3D's humour was so flat that Earthworm Kim, the character, seems kind of harmless (her grand threat is that she's going to max out Jim's credit cards, which are logically her own credit cards because she's Jim's repressed identity). She was even playable, although it doesn't change anything.

Last edited:

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That reminds me that the final boss of Earthworm Jim 3D, despite Tennapel being removed fairly early on and disavowing the whole thing, was a transphobic joke.

Although Earthworm Jim 3D's humour was so flat that Earthworm Kim, the character, seems kind of harmless (her grand threat is that she's going to max out Jim's credit cards, which are logically her own credit cards). She was even playable, although it doesn't change anything.
Of course it was. Though that game was so terrible I'd be surprised if even 10 people even bothered to make it to the end.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The reponse to when asked about the dude. Holy shit like he didn't even listen to the question

Hopefully the "common ground" isn't a bunch of biotry and transphobia.

My view of Tommy is already diminished enough lately, I don't need him to be a terrible person, too.

I really liked Earthworm Jim as a kid and thought that enjoyment would be transferable to Doug's other works, too. Then I found out all his comics were weird religious screeds and that turned me off him entirely. Looks like I dodged a bullet.

I don't understand how someone who draws weird, goofy things for a living can turn into such a hateful idiot.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I'm surprised they even bothered to bring back EWJ, that series hasn't been relevant since freakin' 1996.

And fuck TenNapel too. Shocked that bigot still gets work.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm surprised they even bothered to bring back EWJ, that series hasn't been relevant since freakin' 1996.
IEXt2l8o8GDXkEx4r_kQ_IxbG5fByvtrpKeWiOJ-q5T-M5qBEC0qgrPlyAqEj0YdeIBpEV0Bwuyem5NkNFoVNd0rCm0enMzA
Groovy_5e8f13_2526463.jpg

He's in good company.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Doug TenNapel is a undeniable piece of utter shit. Thankfully the fact that his new game seems to be a exclusive to a dead on arrival console will make it even easier to ignore him.

Nov 1, 2017
Oh yeah, pretty much remember how much of piece of shit he is

Edit: fuck it's worse than i thought, asshole literally said that Hitler was "well-meaning" and was just "exterminating rats", like WTF
My interpretation was that he's stating that Hitler and his followers believed themselves to be well-meaning, and using that to discredit BLM.

He's a piece of shit for sure. Hard pass on anything even tangentially attaches to this guy.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I believe this man donates to organisations that wish gay people dead.

Unsurprised he continues to be a waste of space.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Okay so he's like video game alex jones? What's the reason he has a podcast?

randomlee26

Oct 27, 2017
I remember as a kid The Neverhood was like a holy grail to me, I was obsessed.

And now I'm a gay Jewish man and am disgusted. :(

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
TenNapel makes the Dilbert guy seem charming by comparison

He's right there with John Kricfalusi (Ren & Stimpy) in terms of '90s cartoonists proving to be vile people. Kricfalusi was eventually outed by two women who alleged that he'd groomed them as minors, and once the story went live, he admitted to some of the charges (in legally safe fashion, since it was outside the statute of limitations) while deflecting blame.

www.buzzfeednews.com

The Disturbing Secret Behind An Iconic Cartoon

Robyn Byrd and Katie Rice were teenage <i>Ren & Stimpy</i> fans who wanted to make cartoons. They say they were preyed upon by the creator of the show, John Kricfalusi, who admitted to having had a 16-year-old girlfriend when approached by BuzzFeed News.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
So are the names of Earthworm JIM and his villain psyCROW, which is a pitch black crow, trying to say something?

... Wouldn't doubt it. Series might not be worth reviving.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I first discovered TenNapel due to Earthworm Jim, and then I bought his entry in Scud: Tales From the Vending Machine comic back in the 90s (Scud: The Disposable Assassin from Rob Schrab and Dan Harmon was my fucking jam back then). Even then, his standalone comic was oddly religious (featured an angel in hell hiring a demonic Scud robot assassin to kill the devil)., but as a high schooler I didn't think anything of it.

I then bought his "Creature Tech" graphic novel a couple years later and HATED it. Way more preachy, and shitted all over evolutionary theory.

I didn't actually learn the man's real views until after Rob Schrab finished Scud over a decade later, and thanked TenNapel in the afterword for helping him through a tough time personally. For whatever reason, I decided to look into his other works and personal beliefs and OH NOOOOOOO.

I may still have his Tales From the Vending Machine Issue (I don't recall if I threw it out like Creature Tech or not, and all of my Scud Comics are in storage), but I refuse to touch anything he's done ever again. I regret ever giving that fucker my money, and I feel worse about Schrab knowing they were (are still?) friends. Same goes for knowing Mike Nelson from MST3K/RiffTrax ever worked with the guy.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who loved EWJ growing up finding out about TenNapel fucking sucked. Right up there with the creator of Ren & Stimpy...

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I can't imagine any company wanting to work with Ted in any capacity, especially as his world views and beliefs are heavily reflected in his body of work.

Everything about him screams he's a horrible person. Like, Jesus Christ...

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
TenNapel's bigotry is even more insane now, holy shit. He doesn't deserve any platform or money or any respect.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Tallarico really "middle grounded" his response as a means to not piss anyone off - i was hoping he'd have better than that.
I would gladly play a new game in the series (or see him in SSB dammit) but only if TenNaple's isn't involved or isn't compensated by its creation.

I thought Interplay was bankrupt?
Interplay is like Atari - it's mostly a name slapped on a company for nostalgia value and has little if any connection to the 80's/90s publisher.