• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jasup

Oct 25, 2017
Yurop
It's always been like this. The internet has always been a cesspool. I feel like the problem is that it's leaked into the real world.

Does Penny Arcade still exist? They had the person + anonymity + audience = fuckwad comic like 15 years ago.
I feel a bit different. My thought is that internet has made the real world more visible to us who have the priviledge of never having to see it.
"My community is welcoming to all," says the white man: "it's a nice place to live, racism isn't a huge problem here." I am white, and I tended to think that. How naive of me.

About the Penny Arcade comic you're referring to, I don't really think it's accurate. Anonymity and audience don't really turn people to fuckwads, rather they enable the fuckwads to be fuckwads without social pressure to act differently.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm old enough to remember when the internet had the odd racist but they were easily ignored. Like assholes in Slashdot comments (really dating myself there). Things grew terrible when the alt right began actively targeting impressionable young white teenagers and men in MMOs and other online communities round 2008. You could see the change occurring in real time. 15 - 23 year old white guys eagerly, obsessively, regurgitating some of the cringiest and most ignorant shit around. And they were forming a community while doing it. They preyed upon their inherent weaknesses and desire to belong. Even Steve Bannon has discussed this strategy in the past - he played WoW and realized how pliable these aimless, friendless, uninformed young white men were.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
It was ruined the moment it became easily accessible to the masses; like everything really.
Smartphones were a huge turning point meaning you could shitpost wherever you are.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
It's easier to ban racists in boards like ResetEra than on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. They don't care about it, because the data of their users are their product. In the 90s you had to actively search for Nazi comments, now you only have to use social media.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
The racists were there all along, I think we're just more aware of it.

Yep. Racism, hatred and general intolerance has always been on the internet. Social media just amplifies it.

I've browsed 4chan (shit's and giggles, morbid curiosity, shock and horror, ect) ever since I was a teenager. I've seen all sorts of shit there.

Once in a while, you'll find interesting discussions, useful info or awesome gaming leaks. But yes, there's a ton of filth and terrible stuff too. I just have a thick skin and used to it. Decent content does exist, you just have to withstand and sift through a lot of garbage and ignore the trolls.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Like hell I am. The image memes alone have been enough to support that sentiment.
I get it. I was gonna edit my last post but I'll put it here. End of the day? If content is shit, report it. I actually try. There's some extra dumbass shit everywhere; at least FB has recourse. I wish more people reported things.

Anyway, I'm on your side here. Fuck Facebook, but we can at least try to tackle upward.

Oct 26, 2017
What a load of rose tinted nostalgic hogwash. And people wonder how conservatives can be nostalgic about a time that never existed. We're already doing it with the internet.

Jun 10, 2018
Can tell a lot of y'all aren't black, because from my perspective it has only been relatively recent where we could post and not be met or see overt hostility. Even with all of th e shit now, the internet experience today is LEAGUES better than what it was just 10 years ago.

Bad Advice

Jan 8, 2019
Racism on the internet is as old as the internet itself. What changed is that the internet consolidated. Before the days of Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter, the internet was a million message boards for every single interest. You would have a sewing message board, a coffee-drinking message board, a skipping-rocks-at-the-lake message board, a message board for people who liked hats. Etc. And the racists would literally hang out on something called like racism.com, and you would barely see them. And when a racist showed up on your sewing forum, they would be banned immediately, because it's just a small forum for like-minded people and the moderators would have had free rein to ban them without much forethought or hassle. They would just go, "That's a weird post," and hit ban. Now everybody on the internet has been shoved together on the same seven websites, and so the moderators of these websites are pretty much the moderators of the entire internet. Given that power, they're conservative with their bans. People get away with a lot more. So the difference between then and now is that everyone is far more connected than they used to be, and the moderation on these massive sites is less swift and assured than the moderation on the smaller sites of old.
Yeah I miss the old board days..

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
People saying that if the internet was less anonymous that the amount of displayed racism would lower how do you explain Facebook being the racist shithole it is? These people post proudly using their real identities all the time. While racism was always present, it certainly has become more out in the open. It used to be that they were segregated into their own communities like stormfront, but now they're on all the same social media platforms everyone uses.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
It was ruined the moment it became easily accessible to the masses; like everything really.
Smartphones were a huge turning point meaning you could shitpost wherever you are.

Smartphones and social media, yeah. Once memes became a "culture" instead of just cheeky inside jokes it was over.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Internet culture has always been terrible, especially through the lens of modern progressive thinking.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Late 90s internet is still the best internet (mostly due to the technical treshold to get online).
You mostly had people that went online to get some information or to converse with others not not because they were bored or wanted to start a discord.

It also wasn't worth it to spend additional time for trolling or flaming when you have to pay for each minute you're online.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Late 90s internet is still the best internet (mostly due to the technical treshold to get online).
You mostly had people that went online to get some information or to converse with others not not because they were bored or wanted to start a discord.

A lot of the racists still use Discord, Unicorn Riot and Emily Gorcenski still make good pulls off there even now with their leaks

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It was always there, 4chan was a thing since like 2004 or something. Xbox Live back in the day was also horrid & made me switch to PC/PS3.

Oct 27, 2017
They've always been here. But, in the beginning they were cordoned of to their message boards because they were largely uneducated. Once social media made the web easier to use they branched out.

Oct 26, 2017
The more recent trend to actively push back against bigoted attitudes has made these people louder than before. It's given rise to the "own the libs" attitude where people now actively go out of their way to be as obnoxious as possible.

Oct 25, 2017
I miss the old days when stupid shit people said on the internet didn't influence anything outside the web.

now some dipshit posts a some half baked lie that catches fire and suddenly the news is reporting it like it's something important.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
I blame monetization. It's profitable to be a racists public figure unfortunately, and social media are more than willing to allow it.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more recent trend to actively push back against bigoted attitudes has made these people louder than before. It's given rise to the "own the libs" attitude where people now actively go out of their way to be as obnoxious as possible.

Isnt this rise also responsible for the creation of the term 'signal boosting?' Which as I understand is a criticism of support for disenfranchised groups by those in said groups or in support of said groups.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I'm really not going to argue the finer details. But racism is normal for America. News flash ya'll.

If you want to tell me how now really is all that different with the same power structures in place. Be honest a lot of you are just uncomfortable you see it so brazen.

But Black folks been knew.

If you want to tell me a Black man how everything you're noticing now is still worse on your precious internet. Please by all means go ahead.

My larger point is all of this is more pervasive than you think or like to think.
Absolutely. Not disagreeing with any of that.

But people definitely feel more comfortable letting their shitty racist options be known now. The US let it reach this point. It's always been here but it was easier to ignore if you were white.

Now that a racist shitheel is in office, racists feel way more comfortable opening up about their views in places that are harder for sheltered white dudes to ignore. We did this. And simply getting rid of Trump won't undo it.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Spoiler alert:

they were always there

But after boomers figured out social media and smart phones it became more prevalent than ever

Boomers?

A lot of the racist activity online is from young MAGA types.

OP, are you just uncomfortable because racism is more in your face online nowadays? I find a lot of people are getting increasingly uncomfortable with having to accept that racism exists instead of denying its very existence in the 90s and early 2000s by saying we've "moved past it".

It's ironic in some ways, if someone says racist shit in NY on the subway or bus, someone on there will knock them out and say not in NY. But when it comes to supporting legislation and policies that would help minority communities, those same "allies" are nowhere to be found.

Racists infiltrated everything centuries ago OP

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Boomers?

A lot of the racist activity online is from young MAGA types.

And those types were around before MAGA was a thing. But it wasn't concentrated and amplified by social media yet. The massive influx of bigots too old or too incapable to previously voice their opinions were suddenly accommodated through technology. It cannot be ignored at this point

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
And those types were around before MAGA was a thing. But it wasn't concentrated and amplified by social media yet. The massive influx of bigots too old or too incapable to previously voice their opinions were suddenly accommodated through technology. It cannot be ignored at this point
Exactly.

Now teens who follow meme accounts to see Baby Yoda and funny dog videos can get a surprise alt-right meme or a Pro-Trump pic peppered in-between.

It's always been there but now they know how and when to market their message to the masses.

To ignore this isn't dumb, it's dangerous.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
The fact that sonmany right wingers are quite young is very disturbing, also the fact that elections worldwide are showing a definite trend towards populism, these are dangerous times.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Dependng on who you are and what the color of your skin is, absolutely nothing about the internet has changed.

What's changed is that some of the people on it have finally caught up with the rest of what we were seeing is all.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using the Internet for more than 20 years and it was a lot more racist and homophobic back then.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
The fact that sonmany right wingers are quite young is very disturbing, also the fact that elections worldwide are showing a definite trend towards populism, these are dangerous times.

yes but young people are still trending more liberal and less religious. So don't think that the right wing isn't demographically fucked in the US. In response, they have focused on whites and male voters and doubled down on shitty positions and gotten louder. They are not winning the numbers game with the younger generations. Unless you're looking at some data I'm not. It seems that a lot of people are anecdotally aware of radicalization of youngsters, but as someone from alabama, this is nothing new and it seems to be getting slightly better in the younger generations.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Racism used to be the default. It's only recently that people have started to call it out.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
yes but young people are still trending more liberal and less religious. So don't think that the right wing isn't demographically fucked in the US. In response, they have focused on whites and male voters and doubled down on shitty positions and gotten louder. They are not winning the numbers game with the younger generations. Unless you're looking at some data I'm not. It seems that a lot of people are anecdotally aware of radicalization of youngsters, but as someone from alabama, this is nothing new and it seems to be getting slightly better in the younger generations.

Roy Moore losing that election in Alabama was the sweetest Schadenfreude ever, I hope the Democrats hold the state in the next governor's election.