• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to acknowledge the women working in this industry in various positions, and will do so in posting tweets/pictures of women who work in gaming.

Post whatever you find!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Happy International Women's Day to all the women game devs!

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm also noticing a severe lack of women of color. Not to say there isn't any in these photos, but I cant help but notice it.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Here's to Centipede's programmer Dona Bailey

River Raid's creator Carol Shaw

and the mother of adventure games, Roberta Williams.

Among others.

Cause women have been working in games and helping to shape up this industry since the early days.

This is what that other thread should have been, tbh.

Yes, it's great that are some good female characters there but, there's a lot of important real women out there working in games that deserve recognition.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Following my post in the other thread, I'd like to mention Keiko Erikawa.

20151222015258m8jxh.png

Keiko Erikawa (襟川 恵子, Erikawa Keiko, born on January 3, 1949 in Hiyoshi, Kanagawa) is one of the founders of Koei and a design graduate of Tama Art University who was originally studying for a fashion career. She is Kou Shibusawa's wife, making them one of the richest married couples in the video game industry. They have two daughters, Mei and Ai. Mei works at the company as an executive director for Ruby Party games while Ai is named a corporate director for the company.
Erikawa was the first to reach out to other manufactures and companies for expanding their user base. When she first started pitching her ideas to Nintendo in the 1980s, none of the representatives took her seriously. Despite the lukewarm reception, she persevered and many of her business decisions fostered and stabilized the company. Erikawa comments in retrospect that she is responsible for Koei's "bad reputation" during its early years but was "too young and fearless" at the time to let it affect her.
Erikawa's desire to start the Neoromance series was due to the lack of women in the Japanese video game industry at the time of its creation. She was the only woman working for Koei in the 1980s, and she believed that it was because the market was entirely male dominated and filled with violent imagery. It took about ten years to create a game for women since she wanted a group of women to write and conceive it with her. Erikawa continues to herald the resulting Angelique as a true first for the company and the Japanese video game market.

Her continued promotion for female interest in video games is driven by another desire to inspire more women to get work in the industry. Even if the gender divide has improved since then, Erikawa still feels Japan is behind the rest of the world.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Here's to Centipede's programmer Dona Bailey
River Raid's creator Carol Shaw
and the mother of adventure games, Roberta Williams.
Among others.

Cause women have been working in games and helping to shape up this industry since the early days.
Yes, it's great that are some good female characters there but, there's a lot of important real women out there working in games that deserve recognition.

Veronica Megler too

I was very familiar with the book. I had read it multiple times. I went through the book sequentially and tried to figure out how to extract the map, how to capture the characters, which puzzles I was capable of coding with the technology at the time, and just really did it linearly. What makes a story compelling, for me, is when the characters and the situations they're in connect with you in some deep way, and you begin to care. You become passionately interested in their lives and the choices they make, and the reasons for the choices they make.
The Hobbit – my adventure game – became a collection of characters who were each – I'm not sure I'd be so grand as to call it 'each living out their own lives', but each expressing their own character – and then those characters interacted in a particular way. We had the idea that the player was just another character. Just because the player isn't doing anything right now doesn't stop the other characters from playing the game, so the game would go off and play itself, even if you just sat there.
Back then, I was in way left-field. I was not developing games the way games get developed. I thought, 'If I wanted to represent the character of the Hobbit, or a troll, or Gandalf, what would that look like?' What set of behaviours would I create that would allow somebody to look at a character and say, "Yep, that's Gandalf and that's what Gandalf does!" even if Gandalf is in a situation he's never been before. The characters were built on a fairly short line of behaviours that were generically applied to any object that happened to show up. Gandalf's behaviours included: if there was another live animal in the room, saying something to it; picking up some random object in the room and putting it in his pocket; going someplace else; picking some random object from what he was carrying and dropping it somewhere, or giving it to some random animal that happened to be in the room, and then cycling back through. So it was a list of maybe 6, 8, 10 steps that he just continually cycled through.
I based the characters on those in the book, and then I just said, "You guys go off and you guys live your lives and do what you guys do, and see what happens next!" And I was like, "Wow, that's interesting." They are off living their life, and then suddenly a connection occurs – it inserts itself in your life where Gandalf runs into the room and he has a bag of stuff, but it's completely different to the set of stuff he was carrying last time he walked into the room – and that is how you know that that person's behaviour has been continuing even when you're not present.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
BioWare teamed up with YEGfemdev where a number of women devs spoke about their roles and answered questions:

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Happy International Women's Day. I'd be remiss not to point out how the extremely talented Amy Hennig shaped the entire landscape of games narrative (certainly Sony's whole portfolio) with cinema-caliber experiences. Not to downplay the efforts of other talented women, just to highlight a personal inspiration.

Aside: Reading CDPR's "Ladies in RED" totally got that 80's prom song stuck in my head.

Deleted member 15457

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aya Kyogoku, director of Animal Crossing New Leaf and New Horizions:

aya-kyogoku-2.png

Wiki Page

After noting that she was frequently the only woman on development teams, Kyogoku and New Leaf producer Katsuya Eguchi hired a team that was half female; she also encouraged all individuals on the development team to contribute ideas for the game, regardless of their role on the project.[3]

Article

Diversity on the development team behind Animal Crossing: New Leaf — and drawing upon the ideas of men and women from a variety of ages and backgrounds — was important to the game's appeal to a broad range of players, New Leaf project leader Aya Kyogoku said at her GDC panel today.

How many other franchises - AAA ones at that - can claim a 50/50 gender dev team? I'm guessing not a lot.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rieko Kodama has been with SEGA since the early days of the Master System, entering the industry in 1984, and has been part of directing/producing and character/world designs for some of their most iconic RPGs like Skies of Arcadia and Phantasy Star, as well as action/platformer games like Alex Kidd and Sonic the Hedgehog. Nowadays, she's been producing the 7th Dragon handheld RPG series as well as being the role of lead producer for SEGA AGES, which has been praised as creating the definitive versions of several classic SEGA games with accurate emulation and new features in every release, simultaneously preserving and enhancing gaming history. Last year she received the pioneer award from GDC and was also part of the interview series for SEGA's Mega Drive/Genesis Mini.

Phantasy Star brought a refined JRPG experience to the western world almost a full year before the original, then archaic feeling Dragon Quest did and is still one of SEGA's most enduring series with some form of release happening every console generation. As someone who would define the world of that series, as well as being the director of the most beloved game in its classic-era (Phantasy Star IV), as well as producer of Skies of Arcadia, still one of the most beloved classic JRPGs of all time, I feel like it's pretty easy to consider her one of gaming's greats.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
DONTNOD and Larian Studios didn't have one that I could see ☹

Creative Assembly retweeted the womeningames account today, but had their celebratory tweet a few days ago:

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I think everyone knows Yuzo Koshiro for the soundtrack in the Streets of Rage series, but, also very important and mostly unknown is his sister, Ayano Koshiro, responsible for the art direction in Streets of Rage 2, ActRaiser and a few others. She also did some game design for those games.

Here's a good interview with her about SoR2: http://shmuplations.com/streetsofrage2/

Birdseeding

Mar 13, 2018
How about some industry legends?

Muriel Tramis, designer of a series of well-received puzzle and adventure games at Coktel Vision in the 80s and 90s, including the wildly successful Gobliiins and Mewilo, set in her native Martinique.

muriel_tramis_emmanuelle.jpg

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I've always appreciated Laura Shigihara for her musical work on the OG Plants vs Zombies.

She doesn't seem to have worked on a full soundtrack in a while, though she's apparently still around with a semi-active YouTube channel and apparently even worked on / provided vocals for a track in Deltarune

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always appreciated Laura Shigihara for her musical work on the OG Plants vs Zombies.

She doesn't seem to have worked on a full soundtrack in a while, though she's apparently still around with a semi-active YouTube channel and apparently even worked on / provided vocals for a track in Deltarune

She also sang Schala's vocals on Mitsuda's official Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross Arranged Album (Sarah Àlainn did Kid's vocals on the same album)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Let's talk about great female composers! My favourites have to be the legendary Michiru Yamane (Castlevania SotN and many others), Michiko Naruke (Wild ARMs series), and Miki Higashino (Suikoden series):

This is what that other thread should have been, tbh.
This post is obnoxious and a form of thread-whining. There's plenty of room for both threads to co-exist.

snesiscool

Feb 15, 2018
Lena Raine
CY0zlfw.jpg

and
Manaka Kataoka
n197UrB.jpg

the women responsible for two of my favorite game soundtracks (Celeste and Zelda: Breath of the Wild respectively).

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A shout out to several women game developers at Mattel in the early '80s making Intellivision games.
Intellivision-logo.png

Connie Goldman
www.mobygames.com

Connie Goldman - MobyGames

Game credits, biography, portraits and other game industry information for Connie Goldman - MobyGames

Julie Hoshizaki
www.mobygames.com

Julie Hoshizaki - MobyGames

Game credits, biography, portraits and other game industry information for Julie Hoshizaki - MobyGames

Monique Lujan-Bakerink
www.mobygames.com

Monique Lujan-Bakerink - MobyGames

Game credits, biography, portraits and other game industry information for Monique Lujan-Bakerink - MobyGames

Ji-Wen Tsao
www.mobygames.com

Ji-Wen Tsao - MobyGames

Game credits, biography, portraits and other game industry information for Ji-Wen Tsao - MobyGames

Peggi Decarli
www.mobygames.com

Peggi Decarli - MobyGames

Game credits, biography, portraits and other game industry information for Peggi Decarli - MobyGames

Minh Chou Tran
www.mobygames.com

Minh Chou Tran - MobyGames

Game credits, biography, portraits and other game industry information for Minh Chou Tran - MobyGames

Karen Nugent
www.mobygames.com

Karen Nugent - MobyGames

Game credits, biography, portraits and other game industry information for Karen Nugent - MobyGames

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
shout out to the 2 ladies behind my favourite game of all time: Castlevania - Symphony of the Night.

Ayami Kojima that provided all the gorgeous artwork

Michiru Yamane for the GOAT sound track

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I know it's late, but Midori Yuasa is the new General Manager of Capcom's eSports Business Division (likely Yoshinori Ono's replacement, who's now just Executive Producer).

DmXmgFhkc2ARyHDFuLUMgfARwXEEKcmEt7S8Ibq7orqNo89sTaZmP5FoR1MT3GcxE50ekkmO5C35KBs56q0OcZ94GbAXnJDuP6x02SKUDNKkz3x-

www.resetera.com

Yoshinori Ono will be Capcom's eSports Executive Producer from April 1st 2020 + other changes

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e200306.html From the link: Notice of Resignation of a Director and Announcement of Personnel Changes Capcom Co., Ltd. announces the following director's resignation.We would also like to announce the following personnel changes for our corporate...