• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Yo, so today is International Women's Day and since no one had made a thread yet (I'm side-eyeing y'all right now), here goes!

Official website:

www.internationalwomensday.com

International Women's Day 2024 campaign theme: Inspire Inclusion

FREE International Women's Day 2024 campaign theme resources to Inspire Inclusion - #IWD2024 #InspireInclusion

What is happening today around the world to celebrate it? Well you can read about that it here:

www.theguardian.com

International Women's Day: events highlighting gender inequality take place around the world - as it happened

Women demanded to be heard as demonstrations were seen in over a dozen countries, from Pakistan to Argentina

I'd love for each and everyone of us to use this thread as an opportunity to celebrate women and their achievements, share the women that inspire you, motivate you, make you feel hopeful for the future. Feel free to use this thread to shine a line on your favorite women creators, artists, activists, scientists, any woman that makes a positive difference, empowers and uplifts other women as a whole, please share about them, I want to know about them and I want to celebrate them, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I'm also taking this opportunity to let our women on ERA know that there is a community OT called REgals [Women of Era] |OT| Episode I: The Female Menace in which you are all welcome to join, post and participate. If you want to topple the patriarchy, share anything related to the experiences of being a women, or just need to vent about bras (among other things), this is the place to be, and it's full of amazing people!

www.resetera.com

REgals [Women of Era] |OT| Episode I: The Female Menace OT

A place for women on this site to talk amongst themselves. Men, if you're here looking to hang out with the ladies, be aware that the ladies learned to perform internet site searches at their momma's teats. When they want to speak to you, they will have found all the threads that interest...

Happy international women's day everybody! #IWD2020 #EachforEqual

Last edited:
OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Yesterday I finally watched RBG, a documentary about the amazing and badass Ruth Bader-Ginsburg, her life, and her achievements. We truly owe so much to this woman who fought for our rights, relentlessly, for years.

I'm in awe with what she managed to achieve, her brilliance and intellect outmatched so many. She's a symbol of resilience too, couldn't find a job despite being top of her Harvard and Columbia law classes, yet she kept going. She's a force to be reckoned with, truly.

Came across this rap verse, and I loved it, so I'm sharing it!

Will probably come back to this thread and spam it with anything relevant I'll find today! Cheers!

Last edited:

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making this thread, Delphine. Happy IWD to all my fellow women all over the world!

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to take a moment to talk about the struggles of black women, and how we're conditioned to not see our own beauty and worth. A couple of tweets I came across recently which highlight this (which thankfully had a happy ending).

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I have to highlight Greta Thunberg as she epitomizes the strength of spirit that I admire so much. Her staunch stubbornness is something that I identify with quite well and her pure force of will is something I wish I had. Greta you're fucking awesome and I wish we had more people willing to go as far as you do for our planet.

And my mom as well, you give and give and never expect anything in return. Your unconditional love has given me strength far more than I could ever articulate.

OP
OP
Delphine

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
cPNTdRT.jpg

Media Tweets by Karen Hallion (@Khallion) | Twitter

The latest media Tweets from Karen Hallion (@Khallion). Artist, Illustrator, part-time Jedi....... She/Her. Swampscott, Massachusetts

Would love to promote some Mona Eltahawi here too, I've been following for over a decade now, and she inspires me a lot:

She wrote a book, that I have yet to read, but am fairly excited to:

The Seven Necessary Sins for Women and Girls: Eltahawy, Mona: 9780807013816: Amazon.com: Books

The Seven Necessary Sins for Women and Girls [Eltahawy, Mona] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. The Seven Necessary Sins for Women and Girls

Last edited:

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Happy IWD, folks.

One of my contemporary icons is Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the famous American congresswoman from New York. She is the youngest woman to ever serve in the US Congress. Her story as a young woman who tended bar and then got angry and motivated about to do something is one of those stories that shows what can be accomplished with enough spirit and resolve. She's a woman who didn't feel represented, felt like she had something to say, and now is one of the most important voices in the United States for people like me.

I think that's just incredible and sometimes I think about how this is only the beginning. I hope she has a long career in politics and that I got to see it start. I hope she motivates and inspires other people like her to do exactly what she did. I've thought of her on IWD the last few years because I think she really embodies the power of women with something to say. She had no platform, nobody representing what she wanted, and somehow she made one. I think it illustrates just how valuable women's voices are, how much they can change the dialog, and how many there might be out there just waiting to break through.

AOC feels like an easy, obvious highlight on a day like today. We shouldn't just focus on the women right in front of us. But I see AOC as indicative of millions of women just like her who are bussing the proverbial table and have the power and perspective to make history. AOC helps me see them and know they're out there. They might be your bartender right now.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Forgotten Black Woman Inventor Who Revolutionized Menstrual Pads

mary-beatrice-davidson-kenner-600a8172-098b-44c7-a71c-ab0324efb76-resize-750.jpeg

Mary Beatrice Davidson Kenner was a self-taught inventor who created the sanitary belt and filed five patents in her lifetime.​

When I was growing up, all the scientific heroes and geniuses I learned about were men. Or more specifically, white men. As the story of Mary Beatrice Davidson Kenner proves, that's just plain historical inaccuracy. There have been thousands of women inventors, scientists and technologists—they just never got the recognition they deserved.

Mary Beatrice Davidson Kenner (1912–2006) always had trouble sleeping when she was growing up in Charlotte, North Carolina. Her mother would leave for work in the morning through the squeaky door at the back of their house and the noise would wake Kenner up. "So I said one day, 'Mom, don't you think someone could invent a self-oiling door hinge?'" She was only six at the time, but she set about the task with all the seriousness of a born inventor. "I [hurt] my hands trying to make something that, in my mind, would be good for the door," she said. "After that I dropped it, but never forgot it."

This pragmatic, do-it-yourself approach defined her inventions for the rest of her life. But while her creations were often geared toward sensible solutions for everyday problems, Kenner could tell from an early age that she had a skill that not many possessed. When her family moved to Washington DC in 1924, Kenner would stalk the halls of the United States Patent and Trademark Office, trying to work out if someone had beaten her to it and led a patent for an invention first. The 12-year-old didn't find any that had done so.

By 1957 Kenner had saved enough money to her first ever patent: a belt for sanitary napkins. It was long before the advent of disposable pads, and women were still using cloth pads and rags during their period. Kenner proposed an adjustable belt with an inbuilt, moisture-proof napkin pocket, making it less likely that menstrual blood could leak and stain clothes.

Deleted member 64002

Banned
Feb 19, 2020
Happy vymens day. It's nice to have a day about us and how far women's rights have come in such a long period of time. I just hope that things get even better from here on out!

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Happy international women's day!

On this special day, I'd love to highlight this 'Asadora' or morning drama that was aired in 2015. It's a very inspirational drama about the life story of Asako Hirooka or Asa, the 'spark' of feminist movement and the progress of women's roles in early 20th century Japan. The drama depicts the challenges faced by Asa, in a very much male dominated society, and how she overcomes them triumphantly. Later, she became the founder of the first female university in the country. Just like every other Asadora, it's 156 episodes long with 15 minutes episode each, but I loved every moment of it. Great cast, great characters, and most importantly, great story. Do give it a watch if you have the means to do so.

Asa ga Kita (Sunshiny Asa)
suncoming.jpg

"They say you need to fall down 7 times and get up 8 times. In my case, I must fall nine times to get up ten times!"
— Asa

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Chilean feminists are marching, and it's BIG

Here it is just a portion of the march, live

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Here in Mexico, it's a pretty sombre occasion. Violence against women has been on the rise, so tomorrow the country is having a "day without women" as women protest and demand something so simple as being able to go out without worrying about whether they'll get back home safely. It's estimated to have a huge impact on the economy and has gotten pretty good support from a society that's sadly usually still dismissive or worse about gender equality issues.

Here is an article by one of the top papers in Mexico reporting on the growing feminist movement and the government's absolutely terrible response:
www.eluniversal.com.mx

Mexican women call for a national strike after a series of brutal femicides

Recent femicide cases such as Ingrid Escamilla and Fátima Cecilia Aldrighetti have sparked outrage in Mexico

As a man in a family of mostly women, I have never understood how anyone can deny that gender inequality is still real or hold sexist beliefs.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
What an awesome thread!

A big thank you to all the inspiring women throughout history!! I will def have to find a couple subjects that inspire me and post back here

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Death to the patriarchy, homophobia, racism, transphobia, imperialism, colonialism, and capital! ✊🏻💃🏻

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
I went on the Women's Rights match in Manchester, UK yesterday. It was so amazing and heartwarming and epic. I'll try and put some pics and videos up later

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
My mom was a huge part of my life, growing up, for a lot of reasons (which I realize sounds obvious but it's... complicated). And she gave me so much, and taught me so much.

When I was a kid, I was big, for my age. I'd hit 5'4 by 4th grade. And I had a nasty habit of throwing my weight around. A ton of little things I didn't even realize at the time. But my little sister, she noticed it. She noticed that I'd push and loom and generally just act like an unpleasant sonuvabitch to be around. And she told my mom, and I'm really glad she did, because she told me something that's stuck with me since. She talked to me about power. The way that being bigger than other people means you have to be more careful, that being stronger means that your very presence can be a threat to people. And looking back, I can't help but think about how that simple idea changed so much of how I interact with people. About how much worse of a person I'd be if not for my mom.

Shout out to the women of the world, y'all.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Death to the patriarchy, homophobia, racism, transphobia, imperialism, colonialism, and capital! ✊🏻💃🏻

Amen.

---

The Guardian have some great pictures showing events from around the world.

A few that I really enjoyed:

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Police detain activists from the FEMEN women's movement in Victory Square
Photograph: Igor Kovalenko/EPA

Manila, Philippines
Women march to call for an end to Rodrigo Duterte's government
Photograph: Jes Aznar/Getty Images

Pazarkule, Turkey
Migrants at the Turkish border show their respect
Photograph: Anadolu Agency/via Getty Images

Yogyakarta, Indonesia
A rally held under the 2020 theme 'each for equality'
Photograph: Ulet Ifansasti/Getty Images

Baghdad, Iraq
Women celebrate in Tahrir Square
Photograph: Sabah Arar/AFP via Getty Images

Isalamabad, Pakistan
Women gather to mark International Women's Day
Photograph: Aamir Qureshi/AFP via Getty Images

Paris, France
Female members of the General Confederation of Labour (CGT) demand equality
Photograph: Pascal Rossignol/Reuters

Brasilia, Brazil
A member of the Landless Workers Movement calls for gender equality
Photograph: Sergio Lima/AFP via Getty Images

There are many more, here!

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Minna Canth (1844-1897) is probably one of most important women in Finnish history in terms in women's rights. She was a novelist, playwright and a social activist.
19th of March is her flag day, which is also the Day of Equality.

--

And then here's a pic of 13 of the 19 Finnish MP's from 1907. Without Canth this picture would probably not exist.

Women_in_Finnish_Parliament_%281907%29.jpg

And further I think it's fair to say that without them we wouldn't be where we are today.
Currently 12 of our 19 ministers are women and the party leaders of our current 5 party coalition government are all women, as you may have read on era as well.

--

Also since I'm here and talking about important Finnish women, I shouldn't forget the mother of Moomin's, Tove Jansson.
Tove_Jansson_1956.jpg

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing pictures. Women out there everyday making a difference in people's lives — gender equality should be law of every land.

Women have had a huge influence on me from childhood to adult hood. My Grandmothers (R.I.P), mother, aunts, cousins, teachers and friends. My friend childhood is one the women who is and always will be a positive role model. When we were in high school, she always pushed me to do better when I started getting into trouble. When I was in college, she help me when I was struggling and considering dropping out...I'll never forget the day she came over to my home in cold rain to help me study for a course I nearly failed. I am forever grateful to her.

Happy international women's

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
So I was at the women's march in Mexico City, they had asked for men attending to stay on the sidelines and for the most part I did see men respecting that. Women spoke about lost family members, abuse, and demanded actions from the government.

As the tweet says, this went on for more than 3 hours all along that main avenue in the downtown area all the way to the doorstep of the main government offices in the National Palace. Pretty powerful.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I was at the women's march in Mexico City, they had asked for men attending to stay on the sidelines and for the most part I did see men respecting that. Women spoke about lost family members, abuse, and demanded actions from the government.

As the tweet says, this went on for more than 3 hours all along that main avenue in the downtown area all the way to the doorstep of the main government offices in the National Palace. Pretty powerful.

I got goosebumps watching this and the previous video you posted. It's inspiring seeing so many people come together for a common good cause.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico

This is amazing.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Mary Seacole

29419.jpg

The "forgotten yet remembered" nurse of the Crimean War, her ways of nursing soon became more and more adopted while her name was left in the past for decades, being remembered first by the soldiers she care for, and later by history itself. Even today there are those who downplay her role in the field of nursing (or in the Crimean War itself), but those she cared for praised her, and in the Crimean War, every soldier was her "son".

Mary_Seacole_Evening-620x330.jpg

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Amazing thread, had a long-ass day so I'm too tired to contribute but I enjoyed every post <3

Those artworks are glorious.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Mary Seacole

29419.jpg

The "forgotten yet remembered" nurse of the Crimean War, her ways of nursing soon became more and more adopted while her name was left in the past for decades, being remembered first by the soldiers she care for, and later by history itself. Even today there are those who downplay her role in the field of nursing (or in the Crimean War itself), but those she cared for praised her, and in the Crimean War, every soldier was her "son".

Mary_Seacole_Evening-620x330.jpg

I thought about just re-posting what I wrote about Mary Seacole during Black History Month, but decided not to. But since you mention her again.

spider

CLANG
On Break
Oct 23, 2017
Australia
Very cool thread :D I love all the positivity * ___ * Awww yeah~

Sent my old boss her fav cake today (yesterday was public holiday here) cuz she was my mentor and a great friend, too :>

Also sent in my nominations for my workplace's women's excellence awards :D :D :D

All my hugs to y'all, sisterrrrrrrrrrssssssssssssssss

Keep being awesomeeeee <3