• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Confirmation of UK Nintendo not doing this is exactly what I expected but I'm still disappointed.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nice defense of a company that continues to sell products that they know are broken. I had mine fixed under warranty, but now they're out of warranty and it's just a matter of time before they break again. It took less than six months of light use before their shit broke last time.
I'm pretty sure there is a warranty for repairs, i.e., if something comes repaired you have a period of warranty that is at least 6 months regardless of original purchase date.

Like, I get it that it isn't good to ship a product that has an expiration date via wearing out, which also didn't stop Microsoft from shipping RROD doomed consoles and Sony, YLOD ones. And it was a complete whole different level of defect, turning whole consoles into bricks. I'd be livid if I couldn't buy a new Switch anymore just because Nintendo can't source a more durable part for a controller. Controllers that are not only replaceable, they are very repairable and for cheap. I wish all product issues were like this.

Oct 26, 2017
This is a pretty swift response from NoA.
I bought my Switch in NYC but am not in the states currently. Perhaps I can try to get it fixed on my next visit.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
In Europe Nintendo needs to abide to general consumer law and warranty law which also lets you get your faulty joy-cons fixed for free, like any other product in existence. Fucking ridiculous hyperbole. Their products are on the shelves because people want them. A lot.
Yes, they will replace your defective product with another defective product for a grand total of 2 years. Yippee!

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
I just read that its an inherent design flaw so won't your Joy-Con start drifting again eventually and you'll have to send it back in yet again? Its gonna be people sending their RRoD'd 360s in to Microsoft 6 times all over again.
Really? Idid send my original one to get fixed and it started drifting again a week later.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
"Big lawsuit" = vulture attorneys looking to make millions while providing the consumer with a check for $4.35

What about Nintendo shipping a product with a big flaw in it and waiting two years to "aknowledge" the problem ? All the while still selling those products to this day ?

If some "vulture attorneys" can make Nintendo move its slow ass to adress the problem further, I'm with them. Fuck Nintendo for this, that's one of the biggest fuck up of those last years, they should be hit hard where it hurts. Joycons are a mess.

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017
I submitted my request, how do they typically handle these? Will I be paying for shipping or they send me a label?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, fuck Nintendo:

RdRtM04.jpg

(Source)

What can we do to raise a stink in Europe?

Well... That's not cool...

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
It's something I guess, but sending your controller in for RMA takes weeks. Have they given any indication that future manufacturing of the joycons will not have this design failure?

Oct 26, 2017
It's something I guess, but sending your controller in for RMA takes weeks. Have they given any indication that future manufacturing of the joycons will not have this design failure?
I imagine they must be at the very least looking for a different solution for the Lite. Once they have that there's a good chance they'll implement it in future regular joy cons as well.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
Were you able to submit a ticket for both of them at the same time and ship them together? I have 2 with the problem and don't really want to have to create 2 different tickets.

Yeah, I submitted one ticket for four Joy-Cons. There's a text box where you can indicate the color of the Joy-Con as well if it's the left or right one. I listed my four with the issues they're having.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Submitted my ticket online yesterday, since they used to make you call in if they were out of warranty this was already an improvement.

Received my UPS shipping label a few minutes ago, no muss, no fuss, no questions. So at least the process seems painless.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I can confirm that Australia is doing it - in fact, i sent my joy cons two weeks ago and got it back last week, repaired for free (even though I had it since launch, warranty long gone). The only thing I ended up paying for was the postage.

Did they actually repair yours or just send replacements?

Also, if they're replacing the thumbstick component I can't help but wonder if they are using replacements which will exhibit the exact same drifting fault in a few months or a year or so. I'll also say that Nintendo will be majorly screwed if this issue crops up on the Switch Lite, bad press will severely damage sales.

Last edited:

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
NoE not offering free joycon repairs sucks, hopefully the same service will be offered here too. Otherwise its still just as cheap to get new joycons as it is to send off for repairs

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone who has gotten their joycon repaired over a year ago tried for a refund? If so, how did you go about doing that? What did you need to supply?

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Is the law suit a first in gaming? I dont remember it happening with the problems that the ps360 had. But then again that happened years after the warranty expired.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I dropped off my Joy-Con for shipping an hour ago. Hopefully they'll fix it soon.

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would imagine they are working on an actual solution and this is just to benefit people who are having issues now.

We said that over 2 years ago when it launched and people had the issue...everyone's joycon was under warranty then when repairs happened
Not sure if anyone has opened up any of the latest joycon to see if they have changed anything

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone who sent their joy-cons to be fixed gotten an estimate to how long they will take to repair? I'm going on paternity leave in August until September and I don't want to spend weeks waiting for them to come back. If it's going to take long, I'm just going to ask for the repairs in September when I go back to work.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
So, I just need to send only my faulty Joy-con after getting my ticket and return label and not my whole Switch system for this? Sorry if this has already been answered in this thread.

Oct 25, 2017
So, I just need to send only my faulty Joy-con after getting my ticket and return label and not my whole Switch system for this? Sorry if this has already been answered in this thread.

Yea, you're not sending the entire switch. Literally just the faulty, single joycon, without the black strap. Make sure to include a piece of paper in there listing name, repair number, contents, etc as instructed in the email once you get a ticket going.

Man, I can't believe there were some users trying to intially write this whole thing off as some "fringe" fluke that didn't need addressing.

Hope Nintendo of Europe follows through as well.

Freed Games

Oct 29, 2017
Austria
Just contacted Nintendo of Europe yesterday evening, not expecting a positive answer but maybe if enough people will complain this will help.

Oct 28, 2017
Decided to send them an email yesterday to see what the UK side had to say.

They just got back to me;

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for contacting the Nintendo UK Customer Support Team regarding your Nintendo Switch.

Please note we cannot comment on this matter. Should you have any trouble with your Joy-Con however, we will be happy to help you out.

Based on your description, we would kindly advise you try the following troubleshooting steps: blah blah blah

Jobsworth pricks.