• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's nice reading everyone's progress with IF. I weighed 252 pounds (6'0) at the end of September and decided I wanted to slim down. I do 16:8 although usually I don't eat anything anymore after dinner so the fasting window is usually bigger. Reduced calorie intake by a lot and I do 30-40 minutes of cardio every day after work.

I hit the target weight I was aiming for Christmas the day before Thanksgiving, so I'm happy. Of course I have two Thanksgiving meals and just finished one, so I'm going to see an increase next time I step on that scale, lol. I want to be around 170-180 for next summer.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
It's been a while since i last posted in here and since COVID no fasting of any kind in my diet. Christmas week or not I'm not waiting to begin anymore.

I'm going to 16:8 starting today and post my results in 30 days, it's not a long time and I'm not expecting drastic changes. I want to commit and stick to this long term so I'll make my next plans when I approach my next milestone in 4 weeks.

+ I knew i said I would update in 4 weeks but it has been GREAT doing intermittent again. Stupid carb gorging cravings I was addicted to has all but disappeared. My fasting window this week has moved to 19:5. I have to start getting more sleep so some light cardio is in order.

++ yay more post traction going on now, I will finally post a full update on the 24th.

Last edited:

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, my turn for this, started it yesterday. Going to start with 16:8 and am going to be doing cardio 5 /6 days a week, though most days will just be a walk for half an hour to an hour because my joints are fucked due for several reasons as well as me being too fat putting pressure on them. I want to not totally kill myself on the activities portion of a stag do in a couple of weeks.

My diet is horrible so I don't expect the weight to fly off but it's still going to limit my calories which I'm ok with. while not feeling totally amazing I've still felt better the last couple of days not having an unhealthy breakfast.

Last edited:

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, my turn for this, started it yesterday. Going to start with 16:8 and am going to be doing cardio 5 /6 days a week, though most days will just be a walk for half an hour to an hour because my joints are fucked due for several reasons as well as me being too fat putting pressure on them. I want to not totally kill myself on the activities portion of a stag do in a couple of weeks.

My diet is horrible so I don't expect the weight to fly off but it's still going to limit my calories which I'm ok with. while not feeling totally amazing I've still felt better the last couple of days not having an unhealthy breakfast.

Great job. Walking helps tremendously with all kinds of pains and is a god tier exercise in general.

Some tips that helped me stick with my window:

- Don't eat within an hour of waking
- Don't eat within 2-3 hours of bed
- Keep the window consistent. Eating the first meal at the same time every day is the most important thing. Get lots of protein.

- Try to get an early morning walk in if possible, exposing you to natural sunlight
- Try to make better food choices along the way. Don't use one bad meal as a reason to blow the day or the week. IF will naturally help you curb cravings a bit.
- Breaking your walk up into 3 smaller walks spread across your day is better overall (especially after meals), but don't stress it if it isn't feasible

If you're going to be doing walking as your main exercise then I really recommend getting a cheap device like a fitbit. It helps you add more activity and the calorie counter is reasonably accurate provided you enter your weight. It actually slightly underestimates my TDEE going off of my spreadsheet. It makes eating under the number it spits out really convenient and you'll start to see 1:1 changes in your body to the activity level it's measuring, which helps you stick with it mentally as a life change.

EvieFK8

Jun 21, 2019
I just want to share my experience with Intermittent Fasting and how it helped me achieve my ideal weight.

I've been doing IF for almost 10 years now. (on and off) I recently gained weight during the pandemic. Having a new born child, I reflected to myself and saw that I was being unhealthy and I was eating like crap. I wanted to be healthy so I can be there for her when grows up and keep up with her lol. So I decided to eat healthy, lose the unwanted weight, and feel good for myself. I combined Keto or at least a low carb diet. high protein, decent amount of fats and natural sugars only. I was also counting my calories and sometimes would even go below the ideal calories I was supposed to intake. I don't feel weak, nor craving food throughout the day. I feel energized. I started doing this in Mid December of last year. I don't know my exact weight when I started, but I remembered I was around 200+. I am now sitting at 183 as of today.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great job. Walking helps tremendously with all kinds of pains and is a god tier exercise in general.

Some tips that helped me stick with my window:

- Don't eat within an hour of waking
- Don't eat within 2-3 hours of bed
- Keep the window consistent. Eating the first meal at the same time every day is the most important thing. Get lots of protein.

- Try to get an early morning walk in if possible, exposing you to natural sunlight
- Try to make better food choices along the way. Don't use one bad meal as a reason to blow the day or the week. IF will naturally help you curb cravings a bit.
- Breaking your walk up into 3 smaller walks spread across your day is better overall (especially after meals), but don't stress it if it isn't feasible

If you're going to be doing walking as your main exercise then I really recommend getting a cheap device like a fitbit. It helps you add more activity and the calorie counter is reasonably accurate provided you enter your weight. It actually slightly underestimates my TDEE going off of my spreadsheet. It makes eating under the number it spits out really convenient and you'll start to see 1:1 changes in your body to the activity level it's measuring, which helps you stick with it mentally as a life change.

Thank you for the tips! Today is the first day that I'm feeling a slight struggle as I got up earlier than usual and did exercise after the start of the fast tonight but I would feel a lot worse doing what I normally did previously so am very much determined at the moment.

I'm a bit of a night owl so early morning walks aren't doable for me but my main job is flexible so I can get out for a walk during daylight usually. I'm going for 12-8 which I might tweak by an hour as it's really easy in the mornings as I don't usually have to wait very long to have my first meal but might be quite tough at night in the long run, which is where I hopefully can get the cravings lessen.

I have a fitness watch from my old HIIT (really miss doing that, even if my knees don't) running days that I've forgotten to use so far but your post is a good reminder for me to charge it for the walks.

Last edited:

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
I didn't take measurements or original weight when i started but I'm down about 6 pounds at this point. I have had a weekend or two that i allowed some hard drinks and/or heavy carbs but nothing that I would label overindulgence. Otherwise have been maintaining my 19:5 without problems.

I just started some short exercise so let's see how that helps in the coming month. Visceral fat is one stubborn bastard, hasn't moved much from a casual glance, wonder if my body will tackle that next. I weigh myself once a week but don't depend on the number to tell me where i'm currently at, just want to track the trend to chart it out at some point.

Also plan to initiate another 3-5 day fast at the beginning of FEB. Have all the ingredients to make that electrolyte drink.

Greek yogurt with a scoop of healthy nuts has been a great night ender desert if I don't feel particularly hungry.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I've decided to give this a try. I had some health problems last year that led to me stacking on a whole bunch of weight (I like to be around 80kg and I'm currently at 95kg). In the past I've lost a lot of weight by just controlling my calories and toughing it out, but this time I'm a little older and I'm really struggling with crazy hunger levels. I'm going to try the 8/16 hour windows mentioned in the OP to start with and see how it goes. I already don't eat anything after dinner, so it really just means pushing my breakfast back a few hours, and having done it for a couple of days I'm handling it perfectly well.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Day 7. Low-carb + time-restricted eating, and it's dinner that I'm skipping. So far so good. Headaches stopped after the second day. Still hungry in the evening (unavoidable, really), but it's getting easier to deal with it as I go on. I keep seeing green tea as a possible method of reducing hunger while fasting, and I do have some of that lying around, might give it a shot.

Felt like a stranger in a strange land in the produce section of the grocery store the other day.. lol.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Day 7. Low-carb + time-restricted eating, and it's dinner that I'm skipping. So far so good. Headaches stopped after the second day. Still hungry in the evening (unavoidable, really), but it's getting easier to deal with it as I go on. I keep seeing green tea as a possible method of reducing hunger while fasting, and I do have some of that lying around, might give it a shot.

Felt like a stranger in a strange land in the produce section of the grocery store the other day.. lol.
Teas and coffee are a cornerstone of curbing hunger. You could also end your last meal with some heavy healthy fat.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Thinking about doing a 7 day water fast and then transition into 16:8 intermittent fasting. Now for diet, I really want to try a low histamine diet, but that just seems so difficult to consistently do.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Here we are, tonight marks the 4/5 day fast. I can feel some hunger pangs for the first time since beginning. Otherwise I has been smooth sailing. I'll be glad to eat tomorrow I'll tell you that. Have a soup and small piece of protein lined up to break and then a full first meal later.

Thinking about doing a 7 day water fast and then transition into 16:8 intermittent fasting. Now for diet, I really want to try a low histamine diet, but that just seems so difficult to consistently do.
Did you try one yet?

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Here we are, tonight marks the 4/5 day fast. I can feel some hunger pangs for the first time since beginning. Otherwise I has been smooth sailing. I'll be glad to eat tomorrow I'll tell you that. Have a soup and small piece of protein lined up to break and then a full first meal later.

Did you try one yet?
Not the water fast, I'm not sure if I can do the water fast while being on an anti-depressant. I need to check up with my doctor. I've only been doing the intermittent fasting. No specific diet changes though.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing IF for the past few months but since I don't move enough and still eat junk food, I haven't lost any weight at all. That said, I was gaining weight super fast so at least it stopped.
After two weeks of feeling extremely tired and overall shitty, yesterday I finally did what I should have a while ago, I took a gym membership and I'm going in an hour. It's two streets away from my appartment so really I had no excuse besides being a miserable fuck for the past two years.
So, keeping with IF and going to the gym four times a week, I hope to see results in a few months, and doing exercise should also motivate me to simply eat better.
Wish me luck :p

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Seen some back and forth on this but black coffee is permissible during fasting hours right? I know it has some calorie but I assume a cup of black coffee has 5-10 calories?

Mistermetz

Jun 17, 2018
I've been doing IF for the past few months but since I don't move enough and still eat junk food, I haven't lost any weight at all. That said, I was gaining weight super fast so at least it stopped.
After two weeks of feeling extremely tired and overall shitty, yesterday I finally did what I should have a while ago, I took a gym membership and I'm going in an hour. It's two streets away from my appartment so really I had no excuse besides being a miserable fuck for the past two years.
So, keeping with IF and going to the gym four times a week, I hope to see results in a few months, and doing exercise should also motivate me to simply eat better.
Wish me luck :p

You will definitely see progress. I was in the worst shape in my life on January 3rd 2022, at 83 KG body weight at 169 cm height, age 35. I used to work as a part time fitness model in my early-mid 20s and ballooned up like crazy. Now I'm in my 13th week of doing 18/6 IF with with 1 cheat day per week and the occasional 24 hour fast (once every two weeks or so). I'm hitting the gym frequently since January 3rd and doing 1 day of cardio (30 min treadmill, 30 min cross trainer), one day of weights training, 4-5 times per week at night for 60 minutes per session. Now I already lost quite a bit of weight. I am currently at 71 KG and my goal is to hit 68 KG by the end of May. 68 KG is the weight I had in my early 20s when I was in great shape with sixpack abs etc. I feel better than ever, have great energy levels throughout the day and don't regret it in any way. Good luck on your journey! I do recommend drinking apple cider vinegar (one, two spoons) with water and minimize junk food. Apple cider vinegar helps with the sugar and food cravings, is absolutely fine to drink during IF, and seems to help with weight loss.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
According to new research there is no benefit to intermittent fasting:

www.nytimes.com

Scientists Find No Benefit to Time-Restricted Eating (Published 2022)

In a yearlong study, participants who confined meals to certain hours lost no more weight than those who ate at any time.
Can't read it behind the pay wall, but surejan.gif

Tell that to the 50 pounds I've lost. It's been a combination of low carb and fasting, but I seriously doubt the low carb by itself would have gotten these results in the same amount of time.

I'd like to know how the participants were doing it, because my first thought is that they were doing it wrong.

NubCakes09

Oct 28, 2017
Can't read it behind the pay wall, but surejan.gif

Tell that to the 50 pounds I've lost. It's been a combination of low carb and fasting, but I seriously doubt the low carb by itself would have gotten these results in the same amount of time.

I'd like to know how the participants were doing it, because my first thought is that they were doing it wrong.

I found this non paywall version: https://dnyuz.com/2022/04/20/scientists-find-no-benefit-to-time-restricted-eating/

It's a year long study, two groups of people, one group did IF the either did not, both groups ate the same amount of calories.

"Both groups lost weight — an average of about 14 to 18 pounds — but there was no significant difference in the amounts of weight lost with either diet strategy. There also were no significant differences between the groups in measures of waist circumference, body fat and lean body mass.

The scientists also found no differences in such risk factors as blood glucose levels, sensitivity to insulin, blood lipids or blood pressure."

It seems that the main reason IF works is because it helps people restrict their caloric intake.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I don't do IF because of weight, but it probably helps me stay at the weight that I'm at because it limits the time I can eat and therefore I end up eating less. But I think there are benefits to your health in general if you don't eat all day. It just feels right to not eat breakfast (my mom had to force me to eat breakfast as a kid).

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Using intermittent as a tool to reduce your overall food intake because you tend to overeat is not a bad idea. Up from intermittent to extended fasts (~36 hours) if you want the scientific benefits.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I found this non paywall version: https://dnyuz.com/2022/04/20/scientists-find-no-benefit-to-time-restricted-eating/

It's a year long study, two groups of people, one group did IF the either did not, both groups ate the same amount of calories.

"Both groups lost weight — an average of about 14 to 18 pounds — but there was no significant difference in the amounts of weight lost with either diet strategy. There also were no significant differences between the groups in measures of waist circumference, body fat and lean body mass.

The scientists also found no differences in such risk factors as blood glucose levels, sensitivity to insulin, blood lipids or blood pressure."

It seems that the main reason IF works is because it helps people restrict their caloric intake.
So...IF does work? The alternate headline is that Intermittent Fasting is just as effective as regular dieting. It's basically just 1st law of thermodynamics. Same amount of calories = equal conversion of energy, no matter if you consumed those calories in an hour or over 24 hours. People who do IF are mindful of the food they eat, plus other lifestyle changes. It's usually harder to maintain regular dieting for some people.

Couple of other things I noticed in the study: people who IF lost an average of 17 lbs, whereas people who did regular dieting lost 14 lbs. That's a big number! But the study deemed it statistically insignificant....why?

Also, IF'ers in the study were allowed to eat between 8am and 4pm. That is a massive 8 hour window...I doubt anyone in this thread observes that much of a lenient window.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
According to new research there is no benefit to intermittent fasting:

www.nytimes.com

Scientists Find No Benefit to Time-Restricted Eating (Published 2022)

In a yearlong study, participants who confined meals to certain hours lost no more weight than those who ate at any time.

"These results indicate that caloric intake restriction explained most of the beneficial effects seen with the time-restricted eating regimen," Dr. Weiss and his colleagues concluded.

99% of the reason I do IF is that I'm better able to manage my appetite and eat fewer, healthier calories. I'm less hungry. It's just easier to eat less calories. Now it could also be the case that adherence to diets is not better with IF than other diets -- especially at a population level -- but for me personally IF feels easier to stick to.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
So...IF does work? The alternate headline is that Intermittent Fasting is just as effective as regular dieting. It's basically just 1st law of thermodynamics. Same amount of calories = equal conversion of energy, no matter if you consumed those calories in an hour or over 24 hours. People who do IF are mindful of the food they eat, plus other lifestyle changes. It's usually harder to maintain regular dieting for some people.

Couple of other things I noticed in the study: people who IF lost an average of 17 lbs, whereas people who did regular dieting lost 14 lbs. That's a big number! But the study deemed it statistically insignificant....why?

Also, IF'ers in the study were allowed to eat between 8am and 4pm. That is a massive 8 hour window...I doubt anyone in this thread observes that much of a lenient window.

How is an 8 hour window a "massive" window, when the frreaking OP in this very thread suggests 16:8 and that's often cited as the "standard" IF strategy when reading about it? If people are only going to see IF-specific benefits from 20:4 or OMAD then it may as well be a regular old fad diet to most people.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Here we go again. After being off the wagon for 2 months I slowly gravitated back up on the scale and felt i needed another jump start.

Currently at 68 hours water fasting and plan to break it tomorrow afternoon around 2pm or so.

Overall it didn't feel as mentally weird this time around and no side effects from low electrolytes. Zero hunger but periodically do think of food just out of habit.

Will fully resume on a 18:6 afterward.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Been doing 18:6 IF for like 3-4 weeks now. It's fantastic! I feel great and have been losing weight. Lost around 11lbs in about a month. That is certainly the ez block, but I'm highly motivated by feeling better.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Oh goodness. Two weeks vacation at home and breakfast every day. Cannot wait to get back to my regular schedule….

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Question about vitamins - I take vitamin C, magnesium, and calcium in the morning while fasting. I checked the nutrition labels on containers but it doesn't have any calorie information, just the vitamins and their DV %.

What's the verdict on these? I am assuming they are next to 0 in calories.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Question about vitamins - I take vitamin C, magnesium, and calcium in the morning while fasting. I checked the nutrition labels on containers but it doesn't have any calorie information, just the vitamins and their DV %.

What's the verdict on these? I am assuming they are next to 0 in calories.

Vitamins won't kick you out of a fast. It needs to be 100+ calories for it to do anything really.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Vitamins won't kick you out of a fast. It needs to be 100+ calories for it to do anything really.

Thanks!

I am up to 18-19 hours fast every day with only black coffee and my vitamins in the morning.

It's shocking how easy it is for me to keep it up while at work and working but man on weekends when I am home, I can't keep it up.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I seem to recall generally vitamins are more effective when taken with a meal, so maybe just take them later in the day regardless?

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
99% of the reason I do IF is that I'm better able to manage my appetite and eat fewer, healthier calories. I'm less hungry. It's just easier to eat less calories. Now it could also be the case that adherence to diets is not better with IF than other diets -- especially at a population level -- but for me personally IF feels easier to stick to.

Same here. When I start eating, it's difficult to hold myself back at times. Just constraining my eating hours just 1-2 times a week helps me get back on track.

I still have trouble with, you know, keeping away from junk food.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Same here. When I start eating, it's difficult to hold myself back at times. Just constraining my eating hours just 1-2 times a week helps me get back on track.

Try habituation. Meaning instead of restricting the junk, eat a little per day. Eventually your taste buds would adjust and it won't become a temptation.

For example, I have ice cream available at all time at home. Good stuff too. But I'm never tempted to go nuts because I just a bit every few days.

Excessive restriction can lead to binges. This has been studied.

You can also go the healthy dessert or whatever trigger foods you have route. There are tons of recipes online for low calorie desserts, pizza, burgers, etc.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

1. Drink a large glass of water before your meals and more water overall
2. Increase your fiber intake overall and try to incorporate some into every meal if possible (some green veg, usually)
3. Make 'better' choices by finding lower calorie versions of the things you crave. I'm eating a Nick's Ice Cream Sandwich right now and it tastes better than the full sugar Toll House equivalent with about half the calories.

Mindfulness is the #1 thing strongly associated with successful weight loss so just keep plugging at it.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Great tip
1. Drink a large glass of water before your meals and more water overall
2. Increase your fiber intake overall and try to incorporate some into every meal if possible (some green veg, usually)
3. Make 'better' choices by finding lower calorie versions of the things you crave. I'm eating a Nick's Ice Cream Sandwich right now and it tastes better than the full sugar Toll House equivalent with about half the calories.

Mindfulness is the #1 thing strongly associated with successful weight loss so just keep plugging at it.
Try habituation. Meaning instead of restricting the junk, eat a little per day. Eventually your taste buds would adjust and it won't become a temptation.

For example, I have ice cream available at all time at home. Good stuff too. But I'm never tempted to go nuts because I just a bit every few days.

Excessive restriction can lead to binges. This has been studied.

You can also go the healthy dessert or whatever trigger foods you have route. There are tons of recipes online for low calorie desserts, pizza, burgers, etc.

I like that idea. I still have issues with impulse control any time I have junk food within easy access. I've found I can at least sail more smoothly by grabbing mixed fruits in my freezer.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I like that idea. I still have issues with impulse control any time I have junk food within easy access. I've found I can at least sail more smoothly by grabbing mixed fruits in my freezer.

Designing your food environment so junk food is physically harder to get at than healthier alternatives is actually a thing psychologists have come up with. (Not buying any in the first place is the best idea)

jamesclear.com

10 Simple Ways to Eat Healthy Without Thinking, Backed by Science

Your environment has an incredible ability to shape your behavior.

I know if I have a can of Pringles on the counter I'm going to snack on 300+ calories a day worth of them. But if I have a single serving bag of Quest Protein Chips, I might not feel the need and if I do, the 'damage' is limited.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So I have a question.
I've been doing more and more OMAD during the week, which overall is working fine for me. [basically just have dinner]
However I've noticed I get more heartburn in the afternoon than I've ever had in the past...
It's almost like my stomach is just bored and giving me heartburn for shits and giggles...
It's not awful heartburn, just a little unpleasant.
Anyone else notice this?

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Update: I've completely cut the junk food out of my house and embraced fruits, veggies and nuts for when I get munchies.

Feels pretty good. I'm able to maintain intermittent fasting alot better.

Funkelpop

Sep 2, 2022
So I have been IF for the past 3ish weeks now and I have noticed some small weight loss but I think I'm plateauing. I am 186lbs and have been trying to go down to 170. I just been doing my nice fasted runs in the morning before I break my fast at 12 pm. (Doing the 16:8). I started feeling sluggish mentally at work so I decided to drink straight black coffee in the mornings. I've been told it doesn't break your fast and helps with the metabolism but too early to tell. Is there anything I can do move past my plateau? I use Myfitnesspal to track my calories. It told me based off my weight goals, I shouldn't eat more than 1900 calories in a day which I followed 99% of the way through. Does this calorie limit seem correct?