• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After about a month of doing 12:12 (due to issues with my schedule), im back to 16:8 and 20:4. I can feel and see the differece in weightloss like right away.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Started the year off with a three day fast as a kind of cleanse, and figured, since three days of fasting will almost certainly mean I'm in Ketosis, I may as well stick to a keto diet for a while and ride the benefits. I'm traveling to Japan in June and hoping to drop some weight before then (at about 200 lb right now, hoping to get to around 160, 5'10" for reference.

Trying to figure out a good strategy involving Intermittent Fasting, Extended Fasting, and possibly Keto. Extended fasting honestly doesn't bother me, but I'm worried about doing it too much so I'm thinking of doing just a 3 day fast once a month. In general, I stick to a 16:8 fasting window pretty naturally, so for now I'm just going to make sure I'm more careful not to fall out of it. I can't stick to Keto perpetually, as I know family events coming up will pull me out of it, but I do think I can stick to it a couple of weeks after each extended fast. If nothing else, I've basically cut sugar as well in general, probably allowing for a cheat day or two each month before starting a longer fast.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to figure out a good strategy involving Intermittent Fasting, Extended Fasting, and possibly Keto. Extended fasting honestly doesn't bother me, but I'm worried about doing it too much so I'm thinking of doing just a 3 day fast once a month. In general, I stick to a 16:8 fasting window pretty naturally, so for now I'm just going to make sure I'm more careful not to fall out of it. I can't stick to Keto perpetually, as I know family events coming up will pull me out of it, but I do think I can stick to it a couple of weeks after each extended fast. If nothing else, I've basically cut sugar as well in general, probably allowing for a cheat day or two each month before starting a longer fast.

The ketosis part of keto is not what causes you to lose weight, so don't worry about 'falling' out of ketosis. You should also consider doing a water fast one day a week rather than doing a 3 day fast once a month, much easier. Change to a smaller eating window if you want a lot of the benefits of IF as well.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Ive been doing 23:1 for the past week. Weight has dropped a bit. And believe me i stuff myself in that 1 hour window.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Avitus BLEEN

Hi guys. Wanted to thank you very much for the advice you gave me in this thread. I've been 23:1 fasting for a little over 2 months. I lost 30 pounds and am no longer obese, but still overweight and hoping to be at a healthy weight in another 2-3 months. I really appreciate giving me the kickstart I needed to make this change. I also wanted to ask since fasting puts me at a caloric deficit, how do I change my diet in a healthy and controlled fashion when I no longer want to lose weight and just stabilize?

Also I think the #1 reason this diet worked for me was because time is much more simpler to track than calories. Calorie counting is a huge pain in the ass for me cause I really don't have any idea what I'm eating. Eat for one hour and then don't eat for another 23 was simple to grasp and form a habit out of. So I would like to not have to count calories in the future.

Screenshot_20200612-113248_Fasting_Tracker.jpg

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I also wanted to ask since fasting puts me at a caloric deficit, how do I change my diet in a healthy and controlled fashion when I no longer want to lose weight and just stabilize?

Eat at or above maintenence until you stop losing weight. Fasting by itself doesn't make you drop weight necessarily (unless you skip an entire day of calories), the calorie deficit is what really did it. Your hunger hormones correct on extended fasts so you end up eating less, even if you didn't count calories religiously. You probably noticed you were satiated with less food than before, especially if you shifted towards fat/protein heavy foods instead of carbs. Hunger pangs probably weren't nearly as sharp, or as psychologically painful.

Also I think the #1 reason this diet worked for me was because time is much more simpler to track than calories. Calorie counting is a huge pain in the ass for me cause I really don't have any idea what I'm eating. Eat for one hour and then don't eat for another 23 was simple to grasp and form a habit out of. So I would like to not have to count calories in the future.

You can just flexibly diet using IF if you're confident you can eat one small meal or skip a day of eating entirely. It's all about recognizing your overall balance of calories over, say, the entire week. This is something you can set up to be intuitive so you don't have to track every single detail.

For instance, eating 6 days a week but doing a water fast one day gives you the calories of that day added to the other six, plus you get the benefits of doing a full day fast. If you blow it out and eat a ton of junk because you're out and about, just work in a fast day, or a day where you have a single filling 500 calorie meal later in the day like 23:1. Countering a 'feast' day with a small meal/fast day is basically what is known as the 5:2 diet, but it works the same for maintenance.

You can honestly just stick with 23:1 if you want, expanding your eating window to fit whatever schedule you like or how you like to eat. Some people make one large feast, others break it up until two distinct meals. It's really up to you. There's no real 'danger' to coming off 23:1 unless you eat junk all day every day.

Congrats on the success so far, keep it up!

What is your activity level with regards to exercise? It goes well with IF as your body will preferentially partition calories into muscle rather than fat, even if you over eat now and then.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eat at or above maintenence until you stop losing weight. Fasting by itself doesn't make you drop weight necessarily (unless you skip an entire day of calories), the calorie deficit is what really did it. Your hunger hormones correct on extended fasts so you end up eating less, even if you didn't count calories religiously. You probably noticed you were satiated with less food than before, especially if you shifted towards fat/protein heavy foods instead of carbs. Hunger pangs probably weren't nearly as sharp, or as psychologically painful.

You can just flexibly diet using IF if you're confident you can eat one small meal or skip a day of eating entirely. It's all about recognizing your overall balance of calories over, say, the entire week. This is something you can set up to be intuitive so you don't have to track every single detail.

For instance, eating 6 days a week but doing a water fast one day gives you the calories of that day added to the other six, plus you get the benefits of doing a full day fast. If you blow it out and eat a ton of junk because you're out and about, just work in a fast day, or a day where you have a single filling 500 calorie meal later in the day like 23:1. Countering a 'feast' day with a small meal/fast day is basically what is known as the 5:2 diet, but it works the same for maintenance.

You can honestly just stick with 23:1 if you want, expanding your eating window to fit whatever schedule you like or how you like to eat. Some people make one large feast, others break it up until two distinct meals. It's really up to you. There's no real 'danger' to coming off 23:1 unless you eat junk all day every day.

Congrats on the success so far, keep it up!

What is your activity level with regards to exercise? It goes well with IF as your body will preferentially partition calories into muscle rather than fat, even if you over eat now and then.

Thanks, interesting idea with balancing feast and fast days. My hunger hormones did indeed change, like you said the first week or two was brutal and now I just notice that I am hungry and move on. I guess I will try to modify my fasting such that I am getting maintenance calories in rather than eating at a deficit, once I'm at my goal weight.

Unfortunately I'm mostly sedentary right now aside from walking in circles in my backyard. Any tips on exercises I can do while quarantined?

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately I'm mostly sedentary right now aside from walking in circles in my backyard. Any tips on exercises I can do while quarantined?

You can do full body workouts at home with no equipment to build a base of strength, which would be great to do before starting any routine with weights.

You generally want to hit your muscles at least twice a week, with enough rest in-between workouts that you feel comfortable. Some lingering soreness early on is to be expected. It actually takes very little comparative effort to get solid results with bodyweight/free weight workouts, so you can look better, feel better, and set yourself up for long term health just by putting in the effort a couple times a week. That last 20% that everyone is chasing is what really takes up a disproportionate amount of time and effort.

You can train fasted for some benefits, but I would not recommend that for a beginner. Just try to schedule your workout after your eating, and have some kind of protein after the workout. You don't need powders or anything (they work for this purpose) but just a good chunk of protein to help repair. You could also do it in reverse by having a small preworkout meal beforehand and then your normal food intake after the workout. Whatever works for you.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I've been doing 16:8 for a few days now - I've literally never done any formal diet other than counting calories in my life. I was about 220lbs in college at 6'2", and that felt like a very good weight - I felt healthy and lean with some muscle definition from walking to class every day and hitting the weights or swimming on the weekend. Six months into a sedentary career, I ballooned to 260lbs. Hit the gym/started running and starved myself for six months and got down to about 230. Stayed there for a few years. Last 18 months with a first-born kid, quarantine, lots of travel for work (and thus nice meals), and less exercise... I'm 260 again :-/

Wanted to try something I think I can align to even once I hit a goal - and IF - with a focus on time windows that are easy to remember and don't really affect anything social/work related - seems to fit the bill.

But whew, I'm hungry all morning and all night doing 11-7pm. It's only day four, so I'm sure it'll get better - but even loading up on chicken breast and veggies, I'm so hungry about 9pm, and I woke up today and all I can think about is food. Hope it gets better soon ;p

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
But whew, I'm hungry all morning and all night doing 11-7pm. It's only day four, so I'm sure it'll get better - but even loading up on chicken breast and veggies, I'm so hungry about 9pm, and I woke up today and all I can think about is food. Hope it gets better soon ;p

Drink plenty of water. If you like sparkling/carbonated water, that helps cut down on hunger a lot. It will eventually progress to the point where you can skip an entire day of eating in relative comfort if you so chose. Cutting down on carbs and eating a majority of your calories from fat and protein also helps.

Keep it up!

Senteevs

Oct 28, 2017
Latvia
You shouldn't jump right in. Start slow. Try 10 hours. Then 12. And then gradually increase it by half an hour day by day, so your body can get used to it.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
Started IF again 5 days ago

Actually weighed myself today biggest I ever being

but it was seen an old video of myself from 8 years ago that inspired me

I'm doing the OMAD for now but will expand the eating window closer I get to my goal since the OMAD isn't something realistic in long term just a bit of a head start

Not starving myself either the one meal I had was relatively healthy and comes to about 1800 cals

I'm a pretty small dude
So wouldn't be too far off my daily amount

Gonna read through the thread now see how you guys are getting on, glad there's an OT for this

Last edited:
OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Added an update. Added a resource from Dr. Jason Fung, who I learned about recently.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
This probably has been asked before, but I'm struggling to find an answer.

I've previously done the 5/2 diet a few times with great results.

But started reading about the 16/8 - 18/6 and thought I'd give it a try. Certainly seems like less faff.

But can't find out how often you're supposed to do it (I'm on day 3)... Is it everyday for a set period (i.e. until you've lost the weight you want) or is it 2 or 3 times a week?

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This probably has been asked before, but I'm struggling to find an answer.

I've previously done the 5/2 diet a few times with great results.

But started reading about the 16/8 - 18/6 and thought I'd give it a try. Certainly seems like less faff.

But can't find out how often you're supposed to do it (I'm on day 3)... Is it everyday for a set period (i.e. until you've lost the weight you want) or is it 2 or 3 times a week?
I've been doing 16/8 for several years now. You just do that every day. I don't even think about it any more as I'm simply not hungry before noon and I usually eat dinner by 7pm.

Is there much difference between 16:8 and 14:10?
Starting out with 14/10 is probably easier. Some even consider 16/8 too long of a eating window so I honestly don't know if 14/10 is really effective. In the end you need to find out what works for you. Just try 14/10 and if it works for you stick with it.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Interesting, ok.

Do you exercise much? I went for a run this morning and really felt the not eating until 3pm...
Not much right now as I'm recovering from a knee injury. But I usually go for a run/workout after work, so I usually eat when I'm done working out. But the times I was active in the morning I still don't feel the need to eat before my regular time. Your body really gets used to IM quite fast. Often, when I ate a bit more than usual for dinner I end up not being hungry at noon the next day, instead I won't eat until 2 or 3 o'clock.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Not much right now as I'm recovering from a knee injury. But I usually go for a run/workout after work, so I usually eat when I'm done working out. But the times I was active in the morning I still don't feel the need to eat before my regular time. Your body really gets used to IM quite fast. Often, when I ate a bit more than usual for dinner I end up not being hungry at noon the next day, instead I won't eat until 2 or 3 o'clock.

Yup, you may feel it for the first week or so, but it adapts. In run 6 miles a day and do some HIIT usually before I eat, doesn't even Phase me now.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I ate at 12pm today. Going to sleep now. Wake up tomorrow skip breakfast and ill hit 24hours. Hoping to go longer.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I've been doing 16/8 for several years now. You just do that every day. I don't even think about it any more as I'm simply not hungry before noon and I usually eat dinner by 7pm.
Yeah. After a while you do feel a little hungry before noon, but you're like I can wait.

It's been a bit tricky for me to eat before 7, but I'm still doing pretty decent.

I need to start going on walks to get rid of excess cals.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Started intermittent fasting at the beginning of this month and even though I accidentally slipped up a few times at first, I am slowly but surely lessening my excessive snacking habits and becoming a little less hungry throughout the day
Now if only I could develop some dedication to developing a diet and sticking to it so I can make some real progress

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I didn't know there was an OT for this. I have lost almost 200 lbs with the majority of it coming from intermittent fasting over years and years. I have had ups and downs but finally made it to 245 lbs from 440.

Nowadays I am basically doing 20/4 on work days and 16/8 on days off. Just try and hit macros for the day and that's about it.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
You don't really need to "diet" unless you mean cutting out empty calory snacks and drinks and too many sugars.

Edit: I suppose that sounds like a diet 😹
I hear you, but on the other hand I've been eating way too much fast food, so a meal plan that limits all the fats and sugars that I eat or even just choosing healthier items off the menu/healthier places to order from would enhance my weight loss even further

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Avitus BLEEN

Hi guys. Wanted to thank you very much for the advice you gave me in this thread. I've been 23:1 fasting for a little over 2 months. I lost 30 pounds and am no longer obese, but still overweight and hoping to be at a healthy weight in another 2-3 months. I really appreciate giving me the kickstart I needed to make this change. I also wanted to ask since fasting puts me at a caloric deficit, how do I change my diet in a healthy and controlled fashion when I no longer want to lose weight and just stabilize?

Screenshot_20200612-113248_Fasting_Tracker.jpg
Calorie counting has a huge failure rate.

It it helps you, do it, but not need to keep doing if it keeps failing. Very few people can calorie count long term. Plus it turns off your intuition.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Did a 36 hour fast 2 days ago
Again, was as manageable as the 16:8 I usually do and the 24 hour fast I did a couple of weeks ago

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Completed another 48 and feel amazing. I just need to be careful about my refeeds. I have a tendency to overdo it. Need to train myself to eat slowly and the right food.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I did 3 consecutive 24 hour fasts. Feels goodman.

It's amazing how doing IF also kills your cravings for shitty foods and desserts.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
OMAD has changed my life. I can have cheat days a few days a week without gaining any weight.

I have better bowl movements and more energy as well. Only on holidays so I stray from it.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I tried OMAD a while ago, but I tend to over-eat when doing that. Might give it a try again sometime, I kind of enjoyed eating only once a day as it freed up a lot of time.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've been doing IF for a bit and was wondering if anyone had some advice. I've found it surprisingly easy overall… except for my morning tea. I've always had one or occasionally two cups of black tea with milk in the morning, and I gather this counts as breaking the fast. I've tried drinking it without milk but didn't love it, I tried green tea and don't even like that…

Anyone have any tips? Or can I fudge it and have a tiny bit of milk?

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've been doing IF for a bit and was wondering if anyone had some advice. I've found it surprisingly easy overall… except for my morning tea. I've always had one or occasionally two cups of black tea with milk in the morning, and I gather this counts as breaking the fast. I've tried drinking it without milk but didn't love it, I tried green tea and don't even like that…

Anyone have any tips? Or can I fudge it and have a tiny bit of milk?
You're technically breaking it, but metabolic researcher, Satchin Panda, says that lower calorie intake has similar effect.

youtu.be

Dr. Satchin Panda on Time-Restricted Feeding and Its Effects on Obesity, Muscle Mass & Heart Health

Dr. Rhonda Patrick speaks with Dr. Satchidananda Panda, a professor at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in La Jolla, California. Satchin's work deal...

You can also skip dinner and eat full breakfast and lunch. That is harder to do socially, though.

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
I started a 14h IF last week. I try to eat normally within my eating window and I go to the gym. I drink a lot of water.

I'm feeling a little bit lighter but I'm not expecting much in term of weight loss yet. Hopefully it will lead to something as COVID wasn't good on me. I gained a good 25-30 pounds that I need to lose, even more if possible. I guess I'll need to persevere and be patient.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do I have to truly have 0 calories during fast for IF to be effective? I like to have C4 Sport mix in the morning which has 5 calories.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 30, 2017
Day 3 and this morning was the first time I woke up hungry. Water and black coffee have definitely been helpful in suppressing my appetite but I think the mental sluggishness is the most difficult thing to deal with at the moment. I'm glad that sort of fog is only temporary.