• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Is this healthy though? Not eating might be a good way of cutting calories, but what about your daily required vitamins/proteine etc.?

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this healthy though? Not eating might be a good way of cutting calories, but what about your daily required vitamins/proteine etc.?
Reducing your eating window doesn't force you to not get the proper necessary nutrients when you do eat. In fact, that's what you should focus on eating when you do it.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

You seem confused.

There's fasting fasting, which is where you abstain from food for a long time. There are medical guidelines for this sort of thing, but it's generally considered safe.

Then there's traditional intermittent fasting, where your diet doesn't change (unless you want it to) and you just eat all your food in a certain window of time. For instance, I eat between 7pm and midnight.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Reducing your eating window doesn't force you to not get the proper necessary nutrients when you do eat. In fact, that's what you should focus on eating when you do it.

Yeah I misunderstood, so people still eat (the same) but just in (a) certain time window(s)?

You seem confused.

There's fasting fasting, which is where you abstain from food for a long time. There are medical guidelines for this sort of thing, but it's generally considered safe.

Then there's traditional intermittent fasting, where your diet doesn't change (unless you want it to) and you just eat all your food in a certain window of time. For instance, I eat between 7pm and midnight.

Why whole life is a confusing mess, but outside of that yes.

Seems weird, I'll look into it and give it a go.

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Welp, almost hit 2 weeks of 20:4. A couple of times I broke my fast early - a difficult and emotional funeral service which was followed by a really good buffet reception and a board games day where I ate earlier than usual, but other than that? It's been fine. I have (mental) pangs of hunger around lunchtime but it's easy to push through. Day to day I'm just maintaining or losing weight and am down 3kg (6.6lb) so far - 97.0kg to 94.0kg, about 1.5kg being the initial water weight loss.

I feel fucking great. I'm gonna see how this goes long-term but I feel like I've finally found a lifestyle that will shift my body fat and isn't excrutiatingly difficult. I also feel a lot of the same things that many people feel during fasting periods: energy, mental clarity, general feeling of wellbeing, etc.

I know I can't rush things, especially weight loss but I'm really looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
Man I did this for 4 months and had great results, but fell off a few months ago and really need to get back at it. First time in a long time I had a six pack. Fuck it I'm starting again today.

Deleted member 13642

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man meadowdrone a four hour window is intense. I don't know how you do it but congratulations. The increased focus, sense of well being, etc, yeah I get none of that. I'm just miserable and hungry as fuck and watching the clock till I can do something about it, and that's all on a 6 hour window.

It's worth it though. Now that the bulk of the weight loss is done, it's time to zero in on the body fat and actually look like something for once in my god damn life.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
30 days without food is going to see your body feasting on your muscles, even with a continuation of weight training (ignoring the fact that you're not going to have enough energy to do any decent intensity sessions).

Fasting is helpful for retaining muscle during a cut, but it's not a miracle.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
30 day fasts are useless for nothing else but testing your own will.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
That's quite extensive, it's good that it's not a frequent thing. How do you approach solid food re-introduction?

Refeeding Syndrome? As long as I drink water with sodium and potassium I'll be okay. I've done a plain water fast (bad) and a fast on salt water/bone broth (better). However, this fast will be on only potassium and sodium chloride (no salt and pink salt). Basically, this is a fast without an insulin response as I'm not taking in any calories, unlike with the bone broth. I'll still be working out 6 days per week, I document everything on the day on the instagram I posted. In a way, I'll be eating. I'll be eating off my own body fat like a freaking bear or emperor penguin lol

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/

Anyone who might be intrigued should look up the snake diet or other long term fasting protocols, I think the snake diet is the best, by far.

30 day fasts are useless for nothing else but testing your own will.

If you think that, please stay tuned lol.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I did a 20 day water only fast. Re-gained all I lost pretty quickly. Hated the metallic mouth taste and the constant need to pee. Did make me a better cook as I obsessed over it because I couldn't eat it.

Only things that have ever really worked for me are low carb and/or calorie counting. May try intermittent, but breakfast and dinner are too important for social instances.

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
If you think that, please stay tuned lol.
Most people fast to help with losing weight/controlling hunger and locking in gains with their exercise regimes. Going more than, say a week or two, without eating you're just getting diminishing returns for your misery, for the purposes most people look into trying fasting for, and that's ignoring all the mental/social issues that ridiculously long fasts trigger, like missing out on family dinners or convincing your partner that going a month without eating is a good idea.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
Most people fast to help with losing weight/controlling hunger and locking in gains with their exercise regimes. Going more than, say a week or two, without eating you're just getting diminishing returns for your misery, for the purposes most people look into trying fasting for, and that's ignoring all the mental/social issues that ridiculously long fasts trigger, like missing out on family dinners or convincing your partner that going a month without eating is a good idea.

Diminishing returns? Are you implying the metabolism slows down? That wouldn't be true... Also you're saying that without even taking into account how much one would want to lose or how lean/overweight they are...

People's social expectations of expecting others to eat and drink with them isn't a benefit when they cant take no for an answer. Each time I've done a 30 day fast I've had no problem with abstaining from food and no problem with any person accepting the reality of my decisions...

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
Diminishing returns? Are you implying the metabolism slows down? That wouldn't be true... Also you're saying that without even taking into account how much one would want to lose or how lean/overweight they are...

People's social expectations of expecting others to eat and drink with them isn't a benefit when they cant take no for an answer. Each time I've done a 30 day fast I've had no problem with abstaining from food and no problem with any person accepting the reality of my decisions...
Diminishing returns in the sense that they won't be seeing many more benefits in the same space of time as they would be on a more comfortable eating plan. Self-improvement is a marathon, not a sprint.

Most people simply aren't going to be able to keep up fasts as long as you're suggesting and it's not just a will power matter, it can be fairly ostracising. Most people here will be fasting intermittently in compliment to some form of physical activity, extended fasts will prevent people from performing strenuous physical activities. I'm not saying incredibly long fasts are totally useless, I'm saying they're incompatible with most people's lifestyles and they also do not fall under the category of 'intermittent fasting' which is what this thread is for.

parrotbeak

Nov 1, 2017
I'm just lurking but I'm interested in checking out information about longer fasts. Even if they aren't for most people and not really IF, information and experiences on long fasts will still be interesting for comparisons to IF.

AlecKoKuTan, have you done blood work before and after your fasts?

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Man meadowdrone a four hour window is intense. I don't know how you do it but congratulations. The increased focus, sense of well being, etc, yeah I get none of that. I'm just miserable and hungry as fuck and watching the clock till I can do something about it, and that's all on a 6 hour window.

It's worth it though. Now that the bulk of the weight loss is done, it's time to zero in on the body fat and actually look like something for once in my god damn life.

Congrats on your weight loss!

Yeah things are a bit more normal for me now - I guess there was a bit of a honeymoon period, that or I'm just kinda used to it. Sometimes I'm hungry by 6pm and I'll be really looking forward to eating, sometimes I'm weirdly not super hungry but I'll eat anyway because I should. However going to 20:4 wasn't as intense for me because skipping breakfast was a fairly normal thing for me - I'd have a black coffee and that'd see me through to lunch. I had no real idea about IF and I still binge snacked a lot so I kept gaining weight. Transitioning to 20:4 was harder and more of a mental hurdle to get over for sure, but it wasn't entirely diving into the deep end.

I've had about 1 day every week or two where I've extended my eating window to 8 hours, if I feel really starving, or miserable or a social occasion calls for it. I'm not going to suffer for it.

Still losing weight! 92.4kg, down from 97-98kg in mid-June. (216lb -> 203.7lb).

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
This has probably been asked and answered repeatedly but is there a lower calorie threshold that you can have and that won't 'break' a fast? I usually don't have food from like 5pm until maybe 11 or 12 the next day, but I do tend to have coffee with a minor amount of soymilk in the morning at like 6 or 7.

I don't have a problem with just drinking it black then having it with some milk later in the day when I'm actually eating so whatever. Not actually doing keto either so not sure if this matters at all lol.

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
This has probably been asked and answered repeatedly but is there a lower calorie threshold that you can have and that won't 'break' a fast? I usually don't have food from like 5pm until maybe 11 or 12 the next day, but I do tend to have coffee with a minor amount of soymilk in the morning at like 6 or 7.

I don't have a problem with just drinking it black then having it with some milk later in the day when I'm actually eating so whatever. Not actually doing keto either so not sure if this matters at all lol.
It depends who you ask really, there is research suggesting even some sweeteners 'break a fast' but that won't stop me from putting a bit of milk and stevia in my coffees.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

Most weight loss practitioners will say you can have a splash of milk for adherence purposes but it absolutely breaks your fast. Same thing with bone broth or anything caloric. Your body can also generate a response to things like BCAAs in water. Black coffee actually stops autophagy but not your fast. For maximum results, lengthen your fasting window as much as possible and only drink water.

I recently switched to OMAD (23:1 fasting) and I'm never going back to 16:8. You can eat one large, super satiating meal with a lot of variety and it completely blunts your hunger when fasting.

Black coffee... blech.

If you are doing keto or just avoiding all sugar, you develop a taste for it eventually.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It depends who you ask really, there is research suggesting even some sweeteners 'break a fast' but that won't stop me from putting a bit of milk and stevia in my coffees.

Most weight loss practitioners will say you can have a splash of milk for adherence purposes but it absolutely breaks your fast. Same thing with bone broth or anything caloric. Your body can also generate a response to things like BCAAs in water. Black coffee actually stops autophagy but not your fast. For the maximum results, lengthen your fasting window as much as possible and only drink water.

I recently switched to OMAD (23:1 fasting) and I'm never going back to 16:8.

Hmm I see. This is actually my normal eating schedule apart from the rare small breakfast but after reading about IF I was interested in trying it a bit more strictly and extending the fasting hours to see if I notice any difference. Out of curiosity I'll try to hold off on the milk in the AM for a while and see if there's anything noticeable and otherwise revert back.

hyuckwut

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I've been doing this for years? I can't eat breakfast, it hurts my stomach every time. I usually eat at 1:00. I don't gain much weight but I also don't workout ever :/ so I still have belly fat from when I was like 220 lbs as a kid / teen. I need to find some workout advice

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
If you are doing keto or just avoiding all sugar, you develop a taste for it eventually.
Yeah, I've drunk black coffee (espresso) for about five years now. I can't go near sweetened shit now (pretty much anything)

Only problem is, you get to know good coffee vs bad coffee REALLY quickly.

HHG

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Went from 160LB to 135LB
5.10 Male
I still need to cut 5 LB
And Yes 130LB at 5.10 is perfectly normal healthy BMI and not under the underweight range but close to it if you look at the charts

45138227-ee03-4c60-830b-51861fc757d7.jpg

Once I reach 130LB (End of August) I'll start Bulking/Working out until April
I can see 4 ABS now but the last two can't be seen duo the lower belly fat

My problem is these last 5 pounds is taking forever (got stuck at 135lb for 2 weeks now) so I'll try the fasting method to speed things up

Dragonelite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Most weight loss practitioners will say you can have a splash of milk for adherence purposes but it absolutely breaks your fast. Same thing with bone broth or anything caloric. Your body can also generate a response to things like BCAAs in water. Black coffee actually stops autophagy but not your fast. For maximum results, lengthen your fasting window as much as possible and only drink water.

I recently switched to OMAD (23:1 fasting) and I'm never going back to 16:8. You can eat one large, super satiating meal with a lot of variety and it completely blunts your hunger when fasting.

Did the same thing, i usually just eat 1 kg of ground beef, and some slices of liverwurst, i do want to incorporate more organ meat into my one meal a day.

Dec 23, 2017
This one of the best things known to man. I would highly suggest it to anyone for weight management or losing weigh. I'm down 30 pounds since June.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
It's 10:51 PM Sunday. I last ate a meal yesterday at 11:50 AM (so 35 hours) and the meal before then was like 20 hours before. I eat a Peanut Butter Oreo every 6 hours or so (last one was about 8 hours ago). How much longer can I continue not eating a meal before it'll become detrimental to my health?

I didn't actually plan to fast. I just avoided meals and am now seeing how long I can go.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Another basic question - does shifting around the hours slightly but often do anything detrimental? i.e. eat between 11-4 today but 12-5 tomorrow? I know your body might do things like produce some stomach acid if it's anticipating food but minor and kind of often variations shouldn't do that much, correct?

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another basic question - does shifting around the hours slightly but often do anything detrimental? i.e. eat between 11-4 today but 12-5 tomorrow? I know your body might do things like produce some stomach acid if it's anticipating food but minor and kind of often variations shouldn't do that much, correct?

i wouldn't shift it more than an hour. I do believe you get into a pattern, yes.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/24/well/when-we-eat-or-dont-eat-may-be-critical-for-health.html

What do you think of this? IMO it just advocates further for IF but it also recommends to shift the eating window to earlier rather than later in the day. I'm not sure how they came to the time conclusion based on the study they conducted, which seems to merely compare 12-hour and 6-hour eating window groups, but still I'm intrigued. Usually I have an easier time starting my eating window later, like 2PM.

ironjoe

Jan 26, 2018
NYC
Doing the 16/8 fast, and still working out six days a week. Looking for that six pack. I'm 36, so I hope to the easily divisible number relationship will ensure one.

Question is, how to work protein into workouts. My schedule is messy with two kids and living (still!) with the ex-wife. I literally can only work out post 830 pm. Can I drink protein before at 8pm and then work out at 830pm?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/24/well/when-we-eat-or-dont-eat-may-be-critical-for-health.html

What do you think of this? IMO it just advocates further for IF but it also recommends to shift the eating window to earlier rather than later in the day. I'm not sure how they came to the time conclusion based on the study they conducted, which seems to merely compare 12-hour and 6-hour eating window groups, but still I'm intrigued. Usually I have an easier time starting my eating window later, like 2PM.
There's been a lot of argument on that for some time. Not everyone has the same circadian rhythms though.

Plus, I would argue that having done IF for something like 6 years now... my body pretty much has to have adjusted by now.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Me too! Only 4 hours to go! Today has been rough, with coworkers eating cannolis and Chicken Express right next to me.

And how many of them are overweight or feel like shit after eating?

Doing IF, especially longer fasts like 23:1, shows you how much eating you've done in the past was mental or boredom. You build up a lot of discipline very quickly. The body will learn to stop triggering hunger waves eventually and will work around your eating window. Just drink some water if you're outside the window.

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
Nice thread.

This is what I naturally moved towards when cutting, only to find out it had a name a while later. I've managed to cut 30-40 pounds several times using this technique, although I don't stick to it religiously. Typically I'll skip breakfast, eat lunch at noon, eat dinner at 6:30PM, then I might have a snack at 8PM. On the weekends I don't bother paying much attention to it.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing IF again for the Era weight loss competition, and I've already dropped about 2 kg so far. I'm going to keep on it for a good while. I like the power IF gives over hunger.

Syder

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of going back to 13 hour fasts, this heat is killing me right now.

bad_carbs

Oct 25, 2017
I just started doing this about a couple of weeks ago and I don't think I have lost any weight yet(haven't checked) but I feel energetic and a lot more focused than usual. I've been doing the 16:8 one and getting used to it. Not feeling weak/cold sweats/ having headaches anymore. Still feel a little bit hungry, but I can just ignore the feeling and it will go away after awhile. I also have decided to avoid sugar at all costs. I started gaining weight real quick earlier this year because I've been snacking on sugary foods a lot at work. So obvious, but I was blinded by sweetness.

Haselbacher

Oct 27, 2017
I try my first 72h fast. Am 23,5 h into it.

Last week I did 45h. Was not really hungry at the end. But was thinking about my next meals a lot.