• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The Founders Edition will cost $299, which is more than a typical Amico console will cost a launch.

It comes with lots of extras that Intellivision values at $499. The console itself will be of the Vintage Woodgrain variety and will be numbered and signed by Tommy Tallarico. A Founders Edition patch, pin, and poster will all also be included, with the poster being signed by the entire Intellivision team. The Earthworm Jim Anthology Album and Tommy Tallarico – Greatest Hits Volume II are also being thrown in, as is an Amico gift card worth $50. Finally, Founders will get their consoles before October 10, so you'll be able to try it out before anyone else.

Was interested in what was happening with this and it appeared it was announced last week

AmicoFoundersEdition.png

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the two remake videos.

They both look like C tier Unity games you see flooding Steam every month. Astrosmash looked particularly bad.

I didn't see anything indicating an incredible 2D experience that only this hardware can deliver.

May 10, 2019
It's already sold out on there page but following out of curiosity.

I met Tommy years back at a GDC expo during a G.A.N.G event. He really does have a passion for music and gaming.

Last edited:

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
The folks in the YouTube comments are way more pumped about this than I anticipated.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
faux gold and woodgrain sure is one ugly combination
this feels like a vanity project that got out of hand, who is financially backing this?

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I preordered one if only because I appreciate Tommy's enthusiasm, and it will make a cool machine to have in the living room for when we have company.

rdaneel72

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Intellivision beings back so many memories for me. I want to be excited about this...

But, multiplayer Nightstalker and Astrosmash with marginally better graphics are not enough. The originals were great, and being able to play them on a modern TV would be even more appealing to me than these remakes. And doesn't (didn't) Nintendo already tap the well of simple games for families? Not sure who this is for.

If this thing perfectly emulated OG Inty games, with accurate touchscreen overlays, I would be more interested than I am right now.

I love the look of the thing, and the controllers look like a great reimagining of the originals. But I guess I just want to play old Astrosmash and Tron: Deadly Discs. New games in that old style just don't excited me.

I knew I was old, but I am also bitter.

TRU

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I LOVED Nightstalker as a kid. Glad to know I wasn't the only one who thought that was a great game as they are remaking it and it looks AWESOME!

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Fun fact about Nightstalker on Intellevision, the robots progressively get harder and multiply as the game goes on. Eventually, they will turn invisible and destroy your safe haven in the middle of the stage.

Also, you can get enough free men that the system runs out of numbers and turn into symbols instead. Oh you died, you still have ( men left.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any video of this thing actually working? I just did a cursory YouTube search, and all I can find is this video where they sit next to a model of the console:

And these videos from someone who works at Intellivision that show the controller in debug mode, and software prototypes that are displayed on a smart phone:

I'm just curious because the founders page says this thing is supposed to be released later this year. I don't see how that's possible if they don't even have a working prototype yet.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
This happened on January 27 and was announced via Twitter from both Tommy and Intellivision as well as the Intellivision mailing list and on reddit a few days if not more in advance. This is just a special "Founders Edition" with extras.

Last edited:

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
When they announced this console would focus on 2D games I was sort of intrigued but...Is that controller for real? That combined with those games makes me think they may be a bit lost in nostalgia. The games don't look bad, but they look like something that would have been released on early XBLA, not something I'd buy a whole console for, and playing 2D games with a big analog wheel sounds even worse than playing with analog sticks.

Oct 28, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
When they announced this console would focus on 2D games I was sort of intrigued but...Is that controller for real? That combined with those games makes me think they may be a bit lost in nostalgia. The games don't look bad, but they look like something that would have been released on early XBLA, not something I'd buy a whole console for, and playing 2D games with a big analog wheel sounds even worse than playing with analog sticks.

This is a family oriented multiplayer console. So, it's not going to compete with the others. The games are going to be simple and fun and will cost between $2-$10. To me, the controller looks interesting. From the videos I've seen and can be held and used a few different ways. Looking forward to seeing more and going hands on with it at E3 this year.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Man, how come I didn't get the email, I used to be on their mailing list. I would love this founder's edition, but it's sold out now.

Man, Intellivision beings back so many memories for me. I want to be excited about this...

But, multiplayer Nightstalker and Astrosmash with marginally better graphics are not enough. The originals were great, and being able to play them on a modern TV would be even more appealing to me than these remakes. And doesn't (didn't) Nintendo already tap the well of simple games for families? Not sure who this is for.

If this thing perfectly emulated OG Inty games, with accurate touchscreen overlays, I would be more interested than I am right now.

I love the look of the thing, and the controllers look like a great reimagining of the originals. But I guess I just want to play old Astrosmash and Tron: Deadly Discs. New games in that old style just don't excited me.

I knew I was old, but I am also bitter.
That's what this is, you can play the original games with digital touchscreen overlays, or the updated versions of the games.

Last edited:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Ugh. That's a big oof from me.

I'm the type of person this really be targeted towards (The Intellivision was actually my first console, I like Retro gaming, I love Earthworm Jim and Tallarico's work), but, just.. oof.

Maybe if I can pick one up for a hundred bucks and there's a new Earthworm Jim for it and TenNapel's not involved I'll pick one up.

For now I'll stick with my Evercade and Interplay Collection pre-orders.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Why wouldn't they just make a series of remakes and release them on all platforms? I mean those games aren't exactly the next Mario Kart which makes me wonder how many people will buy this.

And why. But people also bought the Ouya so...

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
The good old days of Nightstalker: running out of ammo and having the gun spawn where the bats are and they keep knocking you down.
Hiding in the spider web where the bullets could not travel in.

Huge fan of intellivision so i hope it does well.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I gotta be honest this looks like junk. I love Tommy but when I keep hearing "Games should be about fun" as the sales pitch I get concerned. I immediately think these games will look like shit.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Right, I remember why I didn't get any email notifications - I unsubscribed after their Doug TenNapel stunt.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying my damnedest to imagine a scenario where this doesn't bomb spectacularly, and I just can't do it

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I like that retro aesthetic tbh. Not enough to put down $299 of course lmao

I'm surprised they actually have gameplay to show off. I thought it would be vaporware like the Atari VCS but maybe this misguided console will actually reach store shelves.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Just watched the two remake videos.

They both look like C tier Unity games you see flooding Steam every month. Astrosmash looked particularly bad.

I didn't see anything indicating an incredible 2D experience that only this hardware can deliver.

I mean yeah .. remaking the old games while keeping the same gameplay is going to do that. That's kind of the whole point of this console. To make old style games and not turn them into the same AAA game with different skins.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I think the games look like fun things I'd throw $5-10 at on Switch but why does it need hardware tied to it? Seems like they're just hoping retro collectors latch onto this for some reason when they're be mad because the games are digital. The family focused approach isn't going to work because the intellivision name means nothing to anyone under the age of 50 and at the cost of the hardware why not just buy a Switch.

I'm glad it's not trying to lie about what it is much like the Atari VCS but I just don't see the value. Also what the hell are the controllers.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Why wouldn't they just make a series of remakes and release them on all platforms? I mean those games aren't exactly the next Mario Kart which makes me wonder how many people will buy this.

And why. But people also bought the Ouya so...

Fun fact they tried to Kickstart doing that and it failed miserably.

www.kickstarter.com

Intellivision Gen2 Video Games For PC & MAC

Intellivision Classics Astrosmash, Shark! Shark! and Night Stalker re-imagined and modernized for gamers of all ages on PC & MAC

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Those games don't look great. I feel like there's a better way to adapt classics.
I feel like they could have done this within the existing console platforms. Something like the Hamster ACA releases - they could release the games at a low cost, with a unified brand, across multiple platforms, make them cross play and cross save, and include the original game alongside the remake.

They're determined to have their own hardware platform, which does have the advantage of allowing them to be distinct, but has the disadvantage that they're going to be asking people for €300 to play stuff that looks like old free Flash games.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be shocked if this thing ever sees the light of day. Everything about it screams colossal, money wasting mistake for everyone involved.

ebsy

Feb 25, 2018
Night stalker remake looks pretty good but that Astrosmash? It looks like a straight up asset flip. (The laser sprites originate from UNDER the spaceship) and yeah the less said about the design of the console itself, the better.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Also what the hell are the controllers.

I think they're thinking "they're just like phones, everyone's familiar with playing games on a phone these days!"

Nobody seems to have been brave enough to follow up with the logical conclusion - everyone's familiar with playing games on a phone these days because they already have phones.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that devices like this are exactly what will get put on the production backburner while China reels from Coronavirus scares? It's bad enough if you're a Microsoft or Sony gearing up to launch a new product, but in those cases, at least you have leverage and history with hardware production in Southeast Asia. An unproven upstart, on the other hand...

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I think they're thinking "they're just like phones, everyone's familiar with playing games on a phone these days!"

Nobody seems to have been brave enough to follow up with the logical conclusion - everyone's familiar with playing games on a phone these days because they already have phones.

I don't even mind the screen inclusion/design but the fact all the buttons are on the top and bottom makes no sense. Could have easily added a couple face buttons around the screen so at least more traditional platformer/2D style games would work. As is, no matter how you grip it, you basically have 2 inconvenient buttons.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I don't even mind the screen inclusion/design but the fact all the buttons are on the top and bottom makes no sense. Could have easily added a couple face buttons around the screen so at least more traditional platformer/2D style games would work. As is, no matter how you grip it, you basically have 2 inconvenient buttons.

That's a callback to the old Intellivision controllers.

It's really weird that they're hearkening back to them, considering that school of controller design was basically a dead-end a good thirty years ago, at least.