• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Do you have any statistics to back up your claim? Because I can't remember a single defective CPU from either vendor. Not counting bent pins and so on. Just pure CPU fuck up.
Its not either CPU being 'defective'. It's about being reliable and sturdy for several years. CPUs are like several years or even a decade worth of investments. Intel's CPUs at least in the past decade have kept performing great in demanding games and their single core performance has kept up for several years. Intel might be abit expensive but they're worth the investment due to all of this.

Dream_Journey

Oct 25, 2017
I think biggest question is; if consoles CPUs used with full potential for a 30fps game how much powerfull CPU will need on PC side to play at least 60fps?

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I upgraded my 3570K to a 3600 back in August because of how dirt cheap it was for the performance.

Even compared to the 5Ghz 9900KS, the performance gap isn't that big. The gap lowers even more if you don't have a 2080Ti and aren't gaming at 1080p. Stuff like 129FPS vs 138FPS in Overwatch according to Userbenchmarks. $260 CAD for a 3600 vs ~700CAD for a 9900KS is absolutely nuts.

I figure I will be able to upgrade to a 4700X or 3900X for cheap once the 6C/12T becomes an issue. Unlike Intel, old AMD CPUs seem to actually go down in price over time. Getting an ancient i7 3770K for my old Z77 mobo would have cost me around $200 in 2019.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
I have a 9700k running at 5 GHz and I am not concerned at all. Console CPUs will not match desktop ryzen 3 CPUs because of the lower clocks and probably even lower cache(probably). My 9700k spanks the 3700x in most titles. I doubt that will change for years to come.
No game utilizes more than 8 threads that's why. 3700X will spank 9700K back once games start to utilize over 8 threads. Even if 9700K gets higher avg. fps, the big difference will be in the 1% lows. 3700X will fare better in that regard without suffering from stutters and hitches.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
My main rig is rocking a 9700K at 4.8ghz (can get to 5 but won't stay there reliably), and it's gonna stay that way for a while. This thing still feels like it'll breeze through anything I throw at it (it's paired with a 2080ti).

Planning on skipping the 3000 gen cards generation entirely, since I game on my TV which "only" does 4K60 and my rig comfortably attains that. When I do upgrade it'll be together with a high refresh rate screen, and hopefully the 4000 gen cards or equivalent will be there or thereabouts. Only then will I finally retire my faithful 9700K.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
I own a 3770k. I dont see myself upgrading to another Intel chip. AMD have basically matched them for cheaper.

I also don't think that 8c/16t will be enough. These entry level consoles already have this, imagine the refreshes in 4 years. Gotta think ahead ..

I'm aiming for a good 12/24 chip from AMD this yr. And if it doesn't happen, my 3770k will last one more year for Amd's AM5 chips and Intel's new chips.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I own a 3770k. I dont see myself upgrading to another Intel chip. AMD have basically matched them for cheaper.

I also don't think that 8c/16t will be enough. These entry level consoles already have this, imagine the refreshes in 4 years. Gotta think ahead ..

I'm aiming for a good 12/24 chip from AMD this yr. And if it doesn't happen, my 3770k will last one more year for Amd's AM5 chips and Intel's new chips.
Yeah, I went from 3570k to 3700x as a stropgap. I expect a need to upgrade earlier than later.

Oct 25, 2017
I upgraded both mine and my girlfriend's computers this month. I got an i9 9900KS (5GHz across all cores, pretty well all the time without overclocking) and she got the Ryzen 9 3900X. I came from a Ryzen 7 1700 and her from my older i7 3770k.

My new i9 is a major improvement over the 1700. I know that the second and third gen improved a lot, but the upgrade feels more substantial than when I originally went from my 3770k to the Ryzen 7.

I'm not worried about next gen (at least the first half), but it'll be interesting to see how our cpu's handle the coming games. Right now the i9 comfortably beats the Ryzen 9, but as devs start utilizing more cores I could see her Ryzen's 12c/24t coming out on top...But Intel still has it's raw single core speed, even with it's lowly 8 cores and 16 threads.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The 9600K is already suffering when it comes to frametimes and 1% lows due to the lack of SMT.
Could you provide an actual example of this? I haven't seen any benchmarks showing issues on 6C/6T i5s so far.

I think biggest question is; if consoles CPUs used with full potential for a 30fps game how much powerfull CPU will need on PC side to play at least 60fps?
+50% more cores with +50% higher clocks should do it. But this is a 12C/24T CPU running at 5 GHz. Which isn't something currently available.

It should also be considered that PC isn't exactly known as a 60 fps machine lately. People are expecting 120+ fps to be possible. And this is where the real issues will likely arise.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I upgraded both mine and my girlfriend's computers this month. I got an i9 9900KS (5GHz across all cores, pretty well all the time without overclocking) and she got the Ryzen 9 3900X. I came from a Ryzen 7 1700 and her from my older i7 3770k.

My new i9 is a major improvement over the 1700. I know that the second and third gen improved a lot, but the upgrade feels more substantial than when I originally went from my 3770k to the Ryzen 7.

I'm not worried about next gen (at least the first half), but it'll be interesting to see how our cpu's handle the coming games. Right now the i9 comfortably beats the Ryzen 9, but as devs start utilizing more cores I could see her Ryzen's 12c/24t coming out on top...But Intel still has it's raw single core speed, even with it's lowly 8 cores and 16 threads.
I'm going to be curious how these two stack up over the years. I'm hoping 5ghz will make up for the lack of cores.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
Still rocking a 6700k @ 4.5ghz, paired with a 2080 Ti. I either play at native 1440p or downsampled between that and 4K(or even higher), so I'm GPU limited for the most part and performance is still amazing.

I do have my eyes on a CPU upgrade in the next year or two, just waiting to see what AMD and Intel both put out really.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You must be playing very undemanding games or be satisfied with <60 FPS and/or stuttering. 2016 was the point at which I was no longer satisfied with how the 2500K was handling games (Dishonored 2, Deus Ex Mankind: Divided, and HITMAN) and I built a Ryzen system in April 2017.

Some people really have very low bar to be satisfied or they are still playing 2010 games , especially those who said their 1070 or 2500k still adequate . I've switched from 2500k to ryzen 1600 before and saw much needed jump in games like Crysis 3 or RoTR especially in heavy vegetation/jungle levels . I'm now using 3700x and it's the proper way moving forward to next gen . Of course , Ryzen has just only caught up , doesn't mean that it obliterate Intel chips like 9700/9900k

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
A 9700k and 3080Ti better last most of the next console generation or high end PC gaming is a waste.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
I have a 9600k OC to 5ghz and i'm sure it'll be perfect to max out "next gen" games too, people are overestimating PS5 and XBX power.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Some people really have very low bar to be satisfied or they are still playing 2010 games , especially those who said their 1070 or 2500k still adequate . I've switched from 2500k to ryzen 1600 before and saw much needed jump in games like Crysis 3 or RoTR especially in heavy vegetation/jungle levels . I'm now using 3700x and it's the proper way moving forward to next gen . Of course , Ryzen has just only caught up , doesn't mean that it obliterate Intel chips like 9700/9900k
I've been talking about long term investments and not the current situation only.. Will your AMD be with you for the next 5-6 years and performing at optimum levels. My i5 2500K was such CPU and it is still sometimes listed in the low or high end spectrum when it comes to system requirements. Obviously hugely graphically demanding games now-a-days require much more beefier CPUs but if iam not wrong, Sekiro required 2500K at low or high end spectrum of the requirements.

Due to my past usage of both AMD and Intel CPUs, for the next 5-6 I trust Intel a lot.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
You guys are giving me fucking anxiety over this shit. I'm going to buy a 3080ti and use it with my 6700k @ 4.6Ghz. No one will tell me shit. No way I won't be able to Max out games for a while with a high fps.

Bottlenecks? I don't know I'd really prefer not to worry about it :(

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017
I find my i5 4670 still gets the job done, but I play at 1080p60. I'll probably upgrade in a year or two though. When the time comes, I will be jumping ship to AMD because I find them slightly less scummy than Intel or NVIDIA.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Considering AMD's main issues with CPU performance are memory related, I'm absolutely certain that a 3700x will outperform console CPUs with no problems going forward. The main reason that I got my 3900x was for extra headroom and because I actually work on this PC, with stuff like video-editing/rendering and streaming.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Motherboard

Latest BIOS M-Flashed, latest AMD Chipset driver for B450 installed, latest Windows Update

Everything stock settings except I disabled PBO in BIOS and did not enable A-XMP for RAM overclocking as it voids AMD CPU warranty

Stock cooler I'm using that came with the Ryzen 5 3600x which is the Wraith Spire, according to Hardware Unboxed, AMD cheaped out on the stock cooler for Ryzen 3000 Spire compared to older Ryzen 2000 series

youtu.be

AMD Wraith Spire vs. Wraith Spire, Copper Vapor Chamber Gone!

Support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/hardwareunboxedMerch: https://crowdmade.com/hardwareunboxedAMD Ryzen 5 3600: https://amzn.to/2NBu0nTAMD Ryzen ...

Even then, I read other people have this weird fans going up and down thing too seems common with stock settings. Surely AMD would have implemented better stock fan curve etc instead of us having to do it?

Also why would the GHz spike up randomly for a second even constantly when the system doing nothing or low demand

CPU spikes to max boost to finish background tasks faster. That spike raises temps by 10-20C for just a second or two, fan is controlled by temp and so speed rises. The issue is 1. the stock cooler, 2. the fan curve being aggressive.

You can change the fan curve in the BIOS.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Performance-wise my 9900K will likely be fine, but I'd like some additional cores as overhead and also a CPU that will run cooler at the higher loads next-gen games will bring. I'll probably upgrade to a 16-core Ryzen at some point.

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 and X1 have 8 cores as well and lots of games don't really utilize that. There are many tasks in games engine that can't easily be split off into several threads. Intel users can probably relax.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
My i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz, GTX 1070 and 16GB DDR4 @3200MHz is still running games extremely well (I play at 1080p / 1440p) so I'm not planning to upgrade for a few more years at least, unless games suddenly start running like crap.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
8700k reporting in. I feel good. Have seen no evidence that next-gen console CPU's will somehow effect my own experience in anyway, and I have faith in higher clock speeds (I haven't even overclocked yet and my CPU gobbles up everything so far). No real interest in AMD hardware until it actually starts to win benchmarks in games. Pretty sure Intel/Nvidia is still the way to go.

Uh, I guess I should mention I chase resolution and eye-candy more than FPS. AKA: I'm the rare PC gamer ok with 30 FPS if need be. (though I do shoot for 60.) My PC is hooked up to 4K Sony X900F TV.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
No. If that Intel CPU doesn't have a minimum of 12 threads then it will struggle to keep up with next-gen stuff when targeting 60fps, especially if the game is already capped at 30fps on consoles as a result of it being CPU-bound (open-worlds, etc.).

Even in single-core performance, Zen 2 has closed the gap. It is actually on par Coffee Lake now.

That's just pure nonsense. ( just like any ERA related hardware thread)

People said the exact same thing before the PS4 and X1 came out and it couldn't have been further from the truth.

Why not? 4-cores 3rd gen i5 began feeling limited in just a little over a year after the console's launch, when Witcher 3, Rise of the TR, etc. came out. Slowly 60fps started to become harder and harder to reach in CPU-intensive areas.

Again, more nonsense.

An i5 2500k(stock!) has no problem with any of the games you mentioned, and specially from that time span.

0m9fyFw.png

Soruce, Gamegpu

Only recently the 4c/4T CPUs started to choke and that's still talking about 60 fps. If you're happy with 30 or are running a Gsync/Freesync panel and running a locked 45 framerate then they present no problems.

Last edited:

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
From the 12tf xbox announcement:
"Delivering four times the processing power of an Xbox One"
..and than talking about the GPU power being 8x more powerful.

CPU: Custom Zen 2 chip, being 4x the original Xbox one CPU. So what i read is, is that the CPU bump is of course bigger compared to the slow Jaguar cores. But not insane.

My i7 5930k @4,3ghz might be alright for awhile?

Last edited:

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
My 8700k is ready for next gen. My 2080ti I have no clue because we have no real idea how next-gen is doing RT. But will happily upgrade to a 3xxxti when they come out.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
3770k. will ride this fucker until next year and see what intel dishes out. good chance they delay again and i go amd.
i do need to upgrade but it's not worth upgrading the first year of a new console gen or your pc will begin to struggle by mid gen.

new tv and phone get priority this year anyway.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
I have to ignore this thread. Anyone unwilling to consider a future where their computer won't be the best should do the same.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Not feeling great at the moment...but I'm running an i5 4570 at 3.2

I plan on switching to AMD with their next release though....entirely new build to prep for next-gen and beyond. Getting into some light video editing (probably just gameplay, and possibly only for my enjoyment), music production and some streaming...the mult-thread performance is going to be quite nice. Especially if the rumors of the next Ryzens are true, even mostly

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Start of gen you should be fine with a decent OC.
But beyond 8 threads is likely once nextgen exclusives start showing up

Yeah that's what I figured. Makes me a little upset I didn't went with the gamble and get a cheap Ryzen 2000 system and then just upgrade to a 3000 down the line. But Intel still seemed like a safer bet in summer 2018 when I upgraded. I want to jump to Ryzen anyway when I actually have a reason and opportunity to upgrade unless Intel really pulls a magic trick out of their hat.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I think a ton of folks on here with older CPUs are in for a rude awakening. Next-gen isn't even out yet and 4c/8t is already not enough for 60FPS in some titles (at least, if you want consistent frametimes), there absolutely will be a jump in thread dependency with next-gen, and if 8c/16t console CPUs target 30FPS things will end up a bloodbath.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I have a 9900k, will upgrade that when it gets slow

2080ti, looking forward to a 3080ti

Almost in the same boat here.

I got a 9900K and a RTX 2080 not a Ti though. I am not really concerned with the CPU side of things, the real test is to see if my RTX 2080 will hold up and If I need to upgrade to a 3080 midgen once the PS5 / XBSX start to catch their stride.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I think my 8600k will continue on going at least for two years more.
I plan on changing it to the 5000 ryzens (at the very early) or if Intel's is better to the equivalent.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I just upgraded to a 3900x after bring on various Intel equipment for almost two decades. Being loyal to a brand over who has a blatantly better product for the value seems insane.

Amd haven't had products I've considered using since since the athlon xp or the original release of the 64, but the ryzen is knocking it out of the park.

That said, consoles are gonna aim for a lower tdp no matter what and I think anyone with a processor with at least 6 physical cores will probably ride through next gen comfortably without feeling too compromised .

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 9600k OC to 5ghz and i'm sure it'll be perfect to max out "next gen" games too, people are overestimating PS5 and XBX power.

What folks aren't taking into account is that next gen consoles will go well beyond their 180-250w TDP standard used today. With XSX's design, which is basically a PC case without slots for RAM, graphic card and expansion bays for drives, I can believe it will be a 400-450 watt console. Digital Foundry seems to think similarly.

So yes, I see a full 3600-3700x at 3,6Ghz on those machines, and the graphic chip speaks by itself: its technology isn't currently available on PC at the moment. It will probably launch during summer or autumn, though.

And therefore I think that everyone without at least an equivalent Zen2 or Intel 9th gen is going to have trouble. Maybe not at first but more down the road.

And ofc forget about >60 fps without a top of the line CPU, which is trouble for those of us that play at 144fps. I won't go higher than 1440p for the entire gen but my monitor will be thirsty for a good while.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
I think a ton of folks on here with older CPUs are in for a rude awakening. Next-gen isn't even out yet and 4c/8t is already not enough for 60FPS in some titles (at least, if you want consistent frametimes), there absolutely will be a jump in thread dependency with next-gen, and if 8c/16t console CPUs target 30FPS things will end up a bloodbath.
But thats the thing, games that target 30fps will be under-utilizing CPU.
Also threading in engines is generic, so engine doesnt hardcode that some systems work on threads 1-4 and others on 5-8 and then others 8-16, they just allocate free threads to the tasks, so if you do not have a lot of threads on your CPU, but your CPU is fast and you will be finishing tasks before next system needs another thread for computation. Basically having faster CPU will mitigate lack of threads.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll keep using my 7700 until it dies.

I don't like open-world games and I doubt other "genres" will push next-gen CPUs to the limit.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
But thats the thing, games that target 30fps will be under-utilizing CPU.
Also threading in engines is generic, so engine doesnt hardcode that some systems work on threads 1-4 and others on 5-8 and then others 8-16, they just allocate free threads to the tasks, so if you do not have a lot of threads on your CPU, but your CPU is fast and you will be finishing tasks before next system needs another thread for computation. Basically having faster CPU will mitigate lack of threads.

MHW targets 30FPS on consoles and isn't underutilizing their CPUs. It's also one of a handful of games that actually run better on a Ryzen 9 than an i9 thanks to multithreading.

Assuming 30FPS games will be underutilizing the CPU on next-gen is absolutely silly.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Recently moved on from my 6600k to a 3700x. 6600k with my 1080 was more than enough for gaming at 1080p but it started to struggle at 1440p and seriously struggle when I tried to downsample from higher res.

I'm expecting to upgrade within 3-4 years. Looking to grab one nvidia's next gen cards and hopefully that'll be it for those 3-4 years. Chasing high frame rate, at a higher res and wanting to max things out isn't a good mix for my wallet.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
My 6600k is already lacking for VR, frame drops pretty often due to it in games like Skyrim VR. I wish I would have gotten the 6700k as hyperthreading benefits a lot for VR, but oh well.

I'm going to wait at least until next gen CPUs where I'll feel like it's worth an upgrade. Right now I just look at the 3700x compared to my 6600k and it's just not a good enough upgrade for $300.