• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Intel has unveiled the next tiny PC in its NUC line. The Intel NUC 9 Extreme Kit, or Ghost Canyon NUC, was announced at CES and sounds like a significant upgrade over its predecessor. It's a little bit larger than the router-sized NUC 8, but it's still ridiculously small for a gaming PC.

One of the biggest differences between Ghost Canyon and its predecessor is that you're not limited by what you get in the box. It's powered by an i9 processor, but you'll be able to eventually upgrade the CPU. Its size also means it can fit a proper desktop GPU, adding yet more upgrade potential.

Details are still pretty slim at the moment, but given that this is an enthusiast bit of kit, making it a bit more future-proof and moddable seems like the right way to go and a much better alternative to a desktop PC than the NUC 8. Normally you need to add your own storage and RAM, so it seems likely that will also be the case here.

nuc_9_extreme_intel_leak_koolshare_juxtaposed.0.jpg

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That looks sexy as hell, would love to stick a 3070 in there and game on.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
It can fit a proper desktop GPU?? And where do you hook up the RAM?

Kxg.gif

How long would a GPU survive in a box that small...

Man, apartment sizes must be getting ridiculous.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I always wanted an intel nuc, every year I almost buy one, but last year I decided to buy a laptop that bends the screen instead, and got a very good deal on a dell laptop.

I like the ideia of having an awesome computer that you can carry around and stuff, but thats what laptop bags are for. I cant really answer who or what the Nuc i for.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
More a custom mini itx than a nuc. Will be interesting to see how it performs and the price.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Ughhhh I have a new setup that I need a tiny PC for and this is just perfect but I know it's going to end up being ridiculously expensive and it hurts. Dang you tiny PC tax!

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Would my neibours be likely to complain about the noise from the fan? On full power I imagine it being louder than a PS4 ... how else would it pump out all that heat.

It's not producing any extra heat by being in a smaller chassis. Blower cards always vent out the back of the card instead of into the case so it'll run the same as any other setup.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Just take a look at its specs..... its got an Intel Integrated GPU. Thats not gonna work in a proper gaming PC no matter what the cost.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I love tiny PCs. I've gotten so close to buying an InWin Chopin so many times but back out when I realize how expensive the endeavor is.

41zF604FaCL.jpg

I was just about to go mini ITX for my new PC but decided it wasn't worth it. You pay more, cable management and thermals are worse, all to get a small computer which is going to be sitting in the same corner anyway.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This thing is awesome. I want it.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
It's not producing any extra heat by being in a smaller chassis. Blower cards always vent out the back of the card instead of into the case so it'll run the same as any other setup.

I didn't even realise blower cards existed. I thought you meant that it had a fan that blows!

J8fGBle.png

Ok that makes more sense...it doesn't generate static pulling that close to other components?

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I didn't even realise blower cards existed. I thought you meant that it had a fan that blows!

J8fGBle.png

Ok that makes more sense...it doesn't generate static pulling that close to other components?

If you mean static pressure that's dependent on the internal fan setup which we haven't seen yet...

Just occurred to me that if this is using some crappy Intel fan setup it could end up venting all that heat into the chassis which would affect the GPU.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I was just about to go mini ITX for my new PC but decided it wasn't worth it. You pay more, cable management and thermals are worse, all to get a small computer which is going to be sitting in the same corner anyway.

My thoughts exactly. While I think that is cool and my mid-tower is larger than needed, paying extra so it will take less vertical space on the floor seems completely not worth it. Would be a different case (pun intended) if I was trying to cram it into my TV stand.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
My thoughts exactly. While I think that is cool and my mid-tower is larger than needed, paying extra so it will take less vertical space on the floor seems completely not worth it. Would be a different case (pun intended) if I was trying to cram it into my TV stand.

That's what these are for, HTPC setups or otherwise space constrained areas. I guess some people (me) also just find tiny form factors cool

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Having built a mini-ITX gaming PC from parts, I think this custom design + off the shelf GPU could be a big step forward for the form factor. Hopefully AMD responds with their own design.

BRING BACK STEAMOS

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Having built a mini-ITX gaming PC from parts, I think this custom design + off the shelf GPU could be a big step forward for the form factor. Hopefully AMD responds with their own design.

BRING BACK STEAMOS

AMD hasn't explicitly responded but there are many Ryzen 2400G/E/3400G/E super tiny setups that are even smaller than this.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
If you mean static pressure that's dependent on the internal fan setup which we haven't seen yet...
I was thinking static electricity but I guess it's unlikely. I wonder how dusty the inside would be though.

I know I'd rather just have taller box on the side for peace of mind and quietness but I guess it wouldn't look as good near a TV setup...unless you got a super cool case but then it's obvious you game.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

In my scenario though, I'd want to put it into my TV stand so I could basically treat it like a console. I'd love something no bigger than the Wii U, but I realize that's next to impossible.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
8" gpu slot. That's decent.

A lot of cards are way bigger than that these days, but I bet you could find some good ones that are 8" or shorter.

Poking around, it looks like the best you'd get in that form factor (on the Nvidia side) is a 2060 or a 1660Ti. That's a decent amount of power in a small case like that, but not enough for a primary gaming PC for me. I bet that if these things took off that GPU makers would figure out a way to cram more card in less space though.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
You have links to some? I'm in the market for mini ITX parts right now, to finally upgrade my existing PC.

Sure here's a 2400G from BHPhoto for $479. There's an HP variant for less but it seems to have awful thermals
1546522549_1447926.jpg

The Mini ITX chasis A300W by Asrock (it's a mobo, PSU, and case set and you add your own CPU supports up to 3400G)
56-158-064_R01.jpg

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
And the ability to add a full desktop-sized discrete GPU?
You're supposed to put a GPU in there
It's got a GPU slot.

Thats nice however what i was imagining it when i read the title and its short description, I thought it would be a prebuilt, all-in-one gaming PC, if you know what I mean...like the one where you don't need to upgrade to get really good performance on modern AAA games.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Thats nice however what i was imagining it when i read the title and its short description, I thought it would be a prebuilt, all-in-one gaming PC, if you know what I mean...like the one where you don't need to upgrade to get really good performance on modern AAA games.

I mean it can be once you put a GPU in there?

Most of the time you build a PC and it lasts for a long while unless you want upgrades. The option for it makes it appealing to upgrade, but it's not required. Some games will run worse as the gen goes along, but that's no different than a console.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
you sure? my case is only
200mm x 112mm x 317mm or:​
7.87" x 4.4" x 12.4803"

the intel case looks a bit taller but perhaps not as long? so it wouldnt fit full length gpu's going from this image

Granted i cant really have an i9 in my case my ryzen 7 3700x stretches its thermal limits
Yea it seems of similar size, but clearly shorter. It's using some sort of low-profile GPU instead of a full-size.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, that's really cool. I just did my new build in a Node 202 but I'm keeping an eye out for when the Dr Zaber Sentry 2 goes on sale to the public.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
We've a bunch of Skull Canyon ones that we've been using during E3 and Gamescom for running the shows. Might need to look into upgrading, these look promising. :)