• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Intel-4_25.jpg

Intel-4_26.jpg

the product stack. gaming cards will be made at an external fab, probably TSMC or Samsung. gaming cards will also support DX12U

meanwhile, in the laptop space, the upcoming Xe LP gpus will be integrated with the cpu (though there might be a separate version) and will feature DX12_1 features including VRS, but only Tier 1.

PCMag said:
The company showed off an implementation of Xe LP technology running several major games, including the recently launched Doom Eternal and Battlefield 1, the latter a first-person shooter EA released in 2016. The Xe LP integrated graphics was able to run the latter title pretty smoothly at high settings, unlike last year's Gen 11, which will struggle to keep frame rates up on high settings.
PCMag said:
The other major improvement that Intel touted concerns power consumption. The Xe LP can render a game's graphics at the same level of the Gen 11, but by using less power. To demonstrate this, the company showed Battlefield 1 running with Xe LP at 15 watts against a Gen 11 machine on 25 watts, and the graphics were pretty comparable.

Anandtech has a dive on Xe-LP

www.pcmag.com

Intel to Launch 'Xe HPG' PC Gaming Graphics Cards in 2021, Using Outside Foundry

The chip giant also previewed its 'Xe LP' integrated graphics technology, debuting in its coming 'Tiger Lake' processors and arriving in laptops later this year.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Intel stop trying to make Intel Discreet GPUs a thing. It isnt happening. Just go back to making decent CPUs

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Some additional competetion in the GPU space would be pretty nice, but at the same time Intel said they will axe these dGPU's, if they don't live up to expectations and I have a feeling that this will actually become reality. Hopefully not, though.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
My understanding was that, at least based on early returns, they cannot compete
They have yet to bring out their enthusiast or midrange chip here - but based upon their enterprise solution here - it seems like their design for the first small discrete card actually scales.

We have yet to see price - but everything intel is doing here for the low end and driver wise sounds good to me.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be fucking great if they could actually compete with NVidia. If they can't do that, then this is all just pointless.
I'm all for adding options and breaking the current duopoly. I just hope that their cards are good enough to shake a stick at.
Intel is in shambles after reading your post. They just shut down the entire thing and fired every engineer who worked on it.
Well they have the top performing chips for gaming so I'd say that is decent :P
I mean I'm all for them to do just that, any competition is better then no competition.

Intel cant even not shit the bed on CPUs right now, their bread and butter, and you want them to focus on GPUs, a segment they have consistently failed to even be competitive?
Intel is also not going to compete on the high end GPU with those cards (or at least the leaked performance), it was mostly for low tier.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They have yet to bring out their enthusiast or midrange chip here - but based upon their enterprise solution here - it seems like their design for the first small discrete card actually scales.

We have yet to see price - but everything intel is doing here for the low end and driver wise sounds good to me.

I don't doubt their ability on low and mid-range. Where I have doubts is the high-end enthusiast stuff.

Nov 8, 2017
Intel cant even not shit the bed on CPUs right now, their bread and butter, and you want them to focus on GPUs, a segment they have consistently failed to even be competitive?
Intel is also not going to compete on the high end GPU with those cards (or at least the leaked performance), it was mostly for low tier.

It's not mutually exclusive. It is literally just their process technology holding them back - their architecture is competitive. If spending more money was the solution to their manufacturing woes the problems would have evaporated years ago. They've spent inordinant amounts of money. It's not the same people working on all these things.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It's not mutually exclusive. It is literally just their process technology holding them back - their architecture is competitive. If spending more money was the solution to their manufacturing woes the problems would have evaporated years ago. They've spend inordinant amounts of money. It's not the same people working on all these things.
I know its only their node size that causes problems (as I have continuously made fun of AMD not being able to take advantage of their node size in both CPU and GPU), but it still speaks of major mismanagement inside Intel as they kept moving deadlines sine die.

And talking about gross mismanagement, Intel trying to make discreet GPUs have been athing for 2 decades, continuously promising and cancelling because they are just not that good (though they manage to reuse parts of it for their integrated GPUs). It doesnt seem that different this time again. This time lead by the guy that created the Vega architecture for AMD.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people writing Intel off.

AMD were uncompetitive with Ryzen 1st gen early on. They were able to claw back Intel with each successive gen. It's very close now in the CPU space. Same deal with GPUs, AMD is looking good with RDNA 2 but they were way behind with Vega and before that.

OtterMatic

Oct 25, 2017
I don't doubt their ability to make a good discrete GPU. The problem is that if they can put enough pressure on Nvidia long term.

edit: they also really need to change those acronyms. I already don't know HPC and HPG.

Nov 2, 2017
I just checked their financials and they seem to be making more money than ever so it seems like their overall business strategy is working? I don't think it's wrong to retry a strategy, just because it failed in the past.

Phawx

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as I'm one of the few who actually pays attention to compute at low wattages, Tigerlake is looking crazy good. But I'm doubtful Intel will have anything to follow up. From example footage and comparing to IceLake, yes, it does look like Tigerlake can sustain 2TF at 28watts. (Obviously CPUs can hit top freq)

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On paper, the new version of Intel's 10nm node sounds promising, and I'm very curious as to how well Intel's gaming GPU performs. However, the proof is in the pudding, and Intel's recent product releases range from unspectacular (High end 10th gen desktop CPUs) to dumpster fires (the 10th gen laptop CPUs, which Ryzen Mobile 4000 runs rings around).

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
According to the slide and article, "XPG" (the gaming models) are going to be manufactured externally. I wonder if this is the result of their 10nm process not being competitive for this use case or if it's due to capacity / yield issues.

Either way, I have zero faith in Intel's ability to make a compelling gaming dGPU given what we've heard about about Xe. Maybe I'll be wrong and it'll be decent, but I personally wouldn't expect much given Intel's track record lately.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
The only way a new competitor can make a difference in the GPU market is if Nvidia really messes up. It would have to be a combination of giving intel enough time to improve their designs and striking while the iron is hot and nvidia screwing up a generation.

Nov 8, 2017
Seeing as I'm one of the few who actually pays attention to compute at low wattages, Tigerlake is looking crazy good. But I'm doubtful Intel will have anything to follow up. From example footage and comparing to IceLake, yes, it does look like Tigerlake can sustain 2TF at 28watts. (Obviously CPUs can hit top freq)

Excited for you to get your hands on it all.

I was a little sad that my Ice Lake SP7 i7 didn't run Doom Eternal all that great (and it didn't even boot at launch lol) but it was still a nice integrated solution and if TGL is a notable improvement then it should be excellent.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Happy to see more competitors in the space, but I'm definitely not in for a first gen version of these cards.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it's competitive, Outside of stock performance AMD has consistently not been for way too long.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Good stuff. We need more than just Nvidia-AMD in the GPU battle. Here's 'Hoping' that Intel makes great GPUs with great pricing for the consumer.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Could see them going for the lower end space for eSports titles and all-in-one OEM builds.

Always good to have more competition in the market.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
Looks like a company desperate to diversify as it spirals the drain. I don't think Intel is out of the fight in the CPU market just yet, there has been far bigger comeback stories in technology, Apple for one. But all I see is a company flailing around trying to get some more market share wins to puff up in shareholder meetings.

I mean Intel can literally buy talent to make a decent GPU, its the execution in market that counts.

TheBuck

Jan 22, 2018
More competition is better for the end users. I welcome this. Hope Intel can give nvidia a run for their market share.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I hope this GPUs are competitive. More options are only good for consumers.

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
Was this an above average, below average, or expected showcase? To an outsider it looked like a good showing, but I am not as enthusiast level as some of you.

Thanks!

OP
OP
ILikeFeet

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was this an above average, below average, or expected showcase? To an outsider it looked like a good showing, but I am not as enthusiast level as some of you.

Thanks!
gotta wait until tiger lake chips are in hand to really tell. I think it was a interesting showing. especially that we won't have to wait too long to see the results of Xe hardware in both mobile and desktop

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Hmm, hard to tell if I can muster up any interest in midsize laptops (let alone desktops) but small laptops would be an amazing choice if more of them had a discrete GPU. Hoping these can fill that space!

Imagine a GPD Win Max or Aya Neo with a discrete GPU.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
Anything that brings more competition to the GPU space should be welcome here, you cynical lot. And low wattage computing should be more appreciated in a world where battery technology doesn't advance as much as the computing needs we have.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Intel stop trying to make Intel Discreet GPUs a thing. It isnt happening. Just go back to making decent CPUs
I don't know... if nothing else their integrated graphics needs a major overhaul. Long overdue. So there's that. Plus discrete GPU's from Intel could help keep prices competitive in the PC space

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Xe lineup thus far seems like a huge pile of mess with many seemingly different architectures being labeled "Xe" just because.

We'll see how their Xe HPG will fare on TSMC's N6 but all other Xe variants shown so far aren't at all impressive, even as iGPUs.