• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.techpowerup.com

DDR4 vs. DDR5 on Intel Core i9-12900K Alder Lake Review

The Intel Alder Lake platform has support for both DDR5 and DDR4 memory. We ran 38 application benchmarks and 10 games at multiple DDR4 configurations to learn what performance to expect when using DDR4 vs. DDR5 on 12th Gen, and whether there's a point at which DDR4 performance can beat the much...
This article is so misleading. They used 6000MHz C36 sticks that you can't even buy, and will probably cost 500-600 USD/EUR when released. Currently what you can buy is like 5200MHz C38 at 300-400 USD/EUR (and still out of stock!).

And even these super expensive DDR5 sticks that will probably not have decent price for another 6 months only manage 1-2% lead over DDR4 in 1080p gaming. In 1440p and above it becomes completely irrelevant.

Oct 28, 2017
This article is so misleading. They used 6000MHz C36 sticks that you can't even buy, and will probably cost 500-600 USD/EUR when released. Currently what you can buy is like 5200MHz C38 at 300-400 USD/EUR (and still out of stock!).

And even these super expensive DDR5 sticks that will probably not have decent price for another 6 months only manage 1-2% lead over DDR4 in 1080p gaming. In 1440p and above it becomes completely irrelevant.

How is it misleading in any way? That's exactly what the conclusion states.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is it misleading in any way? That's exactly what the conclusion states.
Multiple reasons why. Because these sticks aren't in stores, they will cost a lot when released. Because only the best possible DDR5 configuration was tested, there is no point of reference how a bit more reasonably priced DDR5 memory looks like in comparison. Uninitiated person will see DDR5 at the top and think that's representative of all DDR5 sticks. They should have at least added another DDR5 memory (5200MHz C38 or such) in their benchmark to balance things out and paint a better picture.

Dec 25, 2018
Really considering the 12600k. Would rather go DDR4, seems to be minimal performance differences. My PC is pretty old and this new CPU gen seems pretty nice.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buying DDR4 memory and motherboard for my 12700K was the best tech decision this year. I'm having GPU buying PTSD seeing all this again.

HjKkj9K.png

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Buying DDR4 memory and motherboard for my 12700K was the best tech decision this year. I'm having GPU buying PTSD seeing all this again.

HjKkj9K.png

Yeah I give up. This is dumb. I'll hold onto my Crucial 16GB because there's fuck all else out there to buy and it doesn't appear that will change anytime soon.

OP
OP
dgrdsv

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017

Average.png

www.techspot.com

Intel 12th-Gen Core Alder Lake Architectural Benchmark

As a follow up to our feature on how CPU cores and cache impact gaming performance, we're testing different Intel 12th-gen Core Alder Lake CPUs configurations to...

Not much of a surprise but when it comes to gaming all these ADL parts should be viewed as P-cores only basically.
So an 8C 12900K and 12700K and a 6C 12600K.
Once games will start maxing out more than that (8C specifically) a higher count "big core" parts like 5900X and 5950X will likely take the lead back.
This won't happen very soon though.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Average.png

www.techspot.com

Intel 12th-Gen Core Alder Lake Architectural Benchmark

As a follow up to our feature on how CPU cores and cache impact gaming performance, we're testing different Intel 12th-gen Core Alder Lake CPUs configurations to...

Not much of a surprise but when it comes to gaming all these ADL parts should be viewed as P-cores only basically.
So an 8C 12900K and 12700K and a 6C 12600K.
Once games will start maxing out more than that (8C specifically) a higher count "big core" parts like 5900X and 5950X will likely take the lead back.
This won't happen very soon though.

So if I read this right, if I go from my 8700K to a 12700K, I'd be going from ~147 fps to ~195 on average. 32% more or less.

Yea..... not sure if that's worth ~$1,200 considering I'd want to replace the case and PSU as well.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Have to be honest here, testing or buying engineering samples is not the smartest thing to do. They are purposefully gimped and therefore, testing them makes no sense. They are given to OEMs to test feature sets to make sure they are aligned with their expectations. I can't say too much, but it's not worth the clicks imo.

I mean they walk through all the caveats in the vid, just an interesting vid to walkthrough all the limitations of this particular sample and how it performs (tl;dr not worth).

ES's can be cheap and perform as retail and it's something that isn't really covered too heavily in mainstream media. This information is usually buried in heavy OC or enthusiast groups and not in outlets like GN.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
Hi guys I have a question regarding this article :

wccftech.com

Intel Confirms Core i9-12900KS Alder Lake CPU With Up To 5.5 GHz Boost Clock, 5.2 GHz All P-Core Boost

Intel has teased its pre-binned Core i9-12900KS Alder Lake CPU which may be the first chip to feature a boost clock of up to 5.5 GHz.

....according to them, the new 12900KS processor will allow us to OC up to 5.5Ghz on Max turbo boost. My question is, does that mean that that is the absolute maximum we can OC the processor to, or is it just a reference number? In other words will it be possible to overclock it much higher to say, 6.0Ghz? How high do you think we will be able to overclock it too and still be stable? I would love to be able to overclock it to 6.0Ghz if possible, if I ever get one of these.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys I have a question regarding this article :

wccftech.com

Intel Confirms Core i9-12900KS Alder Lake CPU With Up To 5.5 GHz Boost Clock, 5.2 GHz All P-Core Boost

Intel has teased its pre-binned Core i9-12900KS Alder Lake CPU which may be the first chip to feature a boost clock of up to 5.5 GHz.

....according to them, the new 12900KS processor will allow us to OC up to 5.5Ghz on Max turbo boost. My question is, does that mean that that is the absolute maximum we can OC the processor to, or is it just a reference number? In other words will it be possible to overclock it much higher to say, 6.0Ghz? How high do you think we will be able to overclock it too and still be stable? I would love to be able to overclock it to 6.0Ghz if possible, if I ever get one of these.
5.5Ghz refers to single performance core boost, 5.2ghz to all performance cores boost. But you have to understand that 12900KS will be cherry picked chips and will already be highly clocked from factory. These CPUs will run hot, like really HOT out of the box and there will be little to no overclocking headroom.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
5.5Ghz refers to single performance core boost, 5.2ghz to all performance cores boost. But you have to understand that 12900KS will be cherry picked chips and will already be highly clocked from factory. These CPUs will run hot, like really HOT out of the box and there will be little to no overclocking headroom.

Much appreciate the reply sir. I will keep that in mind. Hopefully they will release more news on this front. Sorry to see you got banned :(