• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna ask a newb question. But, doesn't current Ryzen support PCIE-4 already? Haven't really been paying attention to PC tech since I'm good with my current set up. But, I thought those fancy NVMe drives use PCIE4 and are only fully supported by AMD at the moment?
Yes, intel is not still supporting pcie4, AMD does. I meant the "waiting for pcie4" as "if you want to upgrade to an intel chip, waiting is advised"

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Based on the reviews I've read and watched: Not worth buying for gaming unless you absolutely must have the fastest 1080p performance.

That's true of any CPU, for higher resolutions your money is always better spent on the GPU (that's why they test CPUs at low resolutions). If you're strictly gaming the 10600k or Ryzen 5 seem to be a good bang for the buck.

I'm a bit on the fence for my PC upgrade. Mainly due to SSD bottlenecks issues compared to next gen consoles, wondering if some solution will be analog in PCs (or just brute force). I know there's always something better next year, that's why my 2500k is still chugging along.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's true of any CPU, for higher resolutions your money is always better spent on the GPU (that's why they test CPUs at low resolutions). If you're strictly gaming the 10600k or Ryzen 5 seem to be a good bang for the buck.

I'm a bit on the fence for my PC upgrade. Mainly due to SSD bottlenecks issues compared to next gen consoles, wondering if some solution will be analog in PCs (or just brute force). I know there's always something better next year, that's why my 2500k is still chugging along.

Better wait until 2021 if you can, ddr5 and zen4/Intel 10nm.

Otherwise just wait for zen3 q4 this year.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man my 8700k just keeps looking like a better and better purchase. Bought it at launch and it's still a top tier CPU almost 3 years later lol.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Better wait until 2021 if you can, ddr5 and zen4/Intel 10nm.

This also deserves consideration. Zen 3 is the end of AM4. It's the end of DDR4. It's the end of everything. There's not going to be a good time to buy anything on a platform with legs until late 2021 at the earliest anyway. Early/mid 2022 if you wait until Zen 4 and AM5.

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This also deserves consideration. Zen 3 is the end of AM4. It's the end of DDR4. It's the end of everything. There's not going to be a good time to buy anything on a platform with legs until late 2021 at the earliest anyway. Early/mid 2022 if you wait until Zen 4 and AM5.

Yep, agree, if possible it's the best solution for someone that wants to invest a good amount of money and have their build last as much as possible (probably not as long a 2500k but those were special Intel times).

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
That's a weird way of thinking tbh. Like getting a Zen 3 + B550/X670 this year is going to last 90% of the people long enough for the next big thing, it's not like once DDR5 and AM5 came out Zen 3 is suddenly pure trash that isn't worth using. And if past trend is to go by DDR5 is more realistically to be mainstream well into 2021, or even 2022. If someone needs to upgrade or build something new, Zen 2 or Zen 3 are both excellent regardless.

Dynamic3

Oct 31, 2017

What is the benefit of DDR5 going to be? Or is the point simply future-proofing?

Outside of GPU performance, the last "transformative" advance that I've perceived was going from a HDD to a SSD.

lukeskymac

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
With Ampere on the way I really need to start thinking about what to do. There are people touting that PCIe 5.0 is around the corner (1-2 years). But even with everything I've read and looking at roadmaps it all looks like wishful thinking to me.

I also know that I don't want to be stuck with PCIe 3.0. I also don't know if I want a CPU targeted towards productivity or gaming. Having extra cores to decrease rendering times sure would be nice.

I wish I could just hop into a time capsule for about 4-5 years.
PCIe 5.0 isn't going to do much for GPUs or SSDs. DDR5, on the other hand, will probably help the CPU quite a bit.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
My stock R5 1600 is feeling its age.

With the rumors of another "maybe +20%" IPC gain in Zen3, I have to be patient. The most CPU heavy thing I do these days is BOTW emulation in Cemu [it nicely holds 60fps in open spaces, but tanks to high40s/low50s in villages], and Zen3 will blow my Zen1 CPU out of the water.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
That's a weird way of thinking tbh. Like getting a Zen 3 + B550/X670 this year is going to last 90% of the people long enough for the next big thing, it's not like once DDR5 and AM5 came out Zen 3 is suddenly pure trash that isn't worth using. And if past trend is to go by DDR5 is more realistically to be mainstream well into 2021, or even 2022. If someone needs to upgrade or build something new, Zen 2 or Zen 3 are both excellent regardless.

That was kind of the point although it was kind of unclear. You can buy now and it'll last until that generation.

What is the benefit of DDR5 going to be? Or is the point simply future-proofing?

Outside of GPU performance, the last "transformative" advance that I've perceived was going from a HDD to a SSD.

In most cases it'll be at the value chain. APUs are going to get way better with DDR5. Having a 128GB/sec memory bandwidth for the onboard GPU is going to make cheaper rigs perform a hell of a lot better with onboard graphics.

DDR5, on the other hand, will probably help the CPU quite a bit.

Not gaming workloads.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was kind of the point although it was kind of unclear. You can buy now and it'll last until that generation.

In most cases it'll be at the value chain. APUs are going to get way better with DDR5. Having a 128GB/sec memory bandwidth for the onboard GPU is going to make cheaper rigs perform a hell of a lot better with onboard graphics.

Yeah it will be interesting so see what kind of igpus and and Intel start pushing in the next few years. Would be cool to actually see something with similar perf to the new consoles all just on the CPU without needing to shell out $500 for a discrete GPU.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it will be interesting so see what kind of igpus and and Intel start pushing in the next few years. Would be cool to actually see something with similar perf to the new consoles all just on the CPU without needing to shell out $500 for a discrete GPU.

It's still a way off yet. It'll make 1080p passable next generation but we're not going to see 448GB/sec buses to APUs any time soon. You'd need a $500 motherboard to take advantage of a $99 GPU.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's still a way off yet. It'll make 1080p passable next generation but we're not going to see 448GB/sec buses to APUs any time soon. You'd need a $500 motherboard to take advantage of a $99 GPU.

Eh, I dunno. I could see AMD doing something pretty crazy. That Vega NUC chip they did was pretty bonkers and already does more than passable 1080p.

I actually could see an rdna2 ryzen chip with 36-40 cus like the PS5 chip. Add fast ddr5 and maybe it wouldn't really be much slower than the ps5 depending on the igpu clocks.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I'll wait and see how the Ryzen 4000s perform. If Intel has released these at the end of last year I may have based my build around them but not now.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I actually could see an rdna2 ryzen chip with 36-40 cus like the PS5 chip. Add fast ddr5 and maybe it wouldn't really be much slower than the ps5 depending on the igpu clocks.

It would be disappointing for so many people because even with quad channel 6400MHz DDR5 there would still only be half the memory bandwidth of a console and it would hold the chip back.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Totally pointless update really. They could've just as easily cut the prices on 9000 series. The added 10900K and the HT across the lineup don't do much to improve their position against Ryzen 3000. 8C/16T options remain the best when it comes to gaming.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017

der8auer couldn't get all core 5.2 1.3V to pass R20. The cooling system couldn't soak the instantaneous spike in heat that 5.2 put out and it went straight to thermal throttling. He got 7.2GHz out of the thing with LN2 though.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... this is AFK to rocket lake time
9900k will last me until then juuuuuuust fine

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be disappointing for so many people because even with quad channel 6400MHz DDR5 there would still only be half the memory bandwidth of a console and it would hold the chip back.

Didn't the Vega chip have edram though? I'd imagine same deal with this or any chip Intel does. I nice cache of edram to help out.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LinusTechTips review was pretty positive, and remember, this is the same Linus who gave Intel tons of crap over the last couple of years.

99th percentile in gaming looking great for Intel.

H507L3i.png

Ka8A5Dq.png

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LinusTechTips review was pretty positive, and remember, this is the same Linus who gave Intel tons of crap over the last couple of years.

99th percentile in gaming looking great for Intel.

H507L3i.png

Ka8A5Dq.png

Not enough to save this poor showing. Strong gaming performance was expected.
Also HW unboxed showed more closer results with the 3900x being slower on games 7% on average while productity is on average 17% faster on 3900x.

Price performance ratio also poor specially since you have to buy a cooler (and a good one if want want MCE enable for those 200w for the CPU alone).

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not enough to save this poor showing. Strong gaming performance was expected.
Also HW unboxed showed more closer results with the 3900x being slower on games 7% on average while productity is on average 17% faster on 3900x.

Price performance ratio also poor specially since you have to buy a cooler (and a good one if want want MCE enable for those 200w for the CPU alone).
Well this is gaming forum after all. I am positive vast majority of people buying Ryzen are just using it for gaming, they don't care or even know what any of these productivity applications are. It's kind of weird to put so much emphasis on productivity again and again, especially on a gaming forum. No one on gaming websites cared about CPU productivity before Ryzen came out.

And fun fact about productivity, did you know that, for example, many video editors actually use Intel. Why you might ask? Well because video editing applications and plugins work a lot better on Intel. Doesn't matter if rendering is faster by 10% on AMD CPU. 95% of time video editors spends while editing footage, not rendering.

Also in regards to having to buy a cooler... People buying high end CPUs don't really want to use stock coolers. This is why Intel stopped including them in the first place. Do you know many people using 3900X with stock cooler? And if you buy mid range CPU, then coolers for those cost like 20-30 Eur. Hardly worth mentioning.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I think this is actually quite a decent upgrade from Intel, it's just the value is hidden further down the stack. The locked i5s and i3s look like really decent value gaming CPUs and they don't put you at a core and thread disadvantage like the higher tier parts.

The 10400f is showing up at £165 here in the UK and that should be within touching distance of a stock 8700K which is still a fantastic gaming CPU. Lack of PCIe 4.0 is kind of inexcusable though, even if it doesn't mean a great deal to a lot of people yet.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the 10600 is a 6c/12t? That's the 8700k replacement and a much better deal. Probably smarter to buy that over even a 9700k.

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well this is gaming forum after all. I am positive vast majority of people buying Ryzen are just using it for gaming, they don't care or even know what any of these productivity applications are. It's kind of weird to put so much emphasis on productivity again and again, especially on a gaming forum. No one on gaming websites cared about CPU productivity before Ryzen came out.

And fun fact about productivity, did you know that, for example, many video editors actually use Intel. Why you might ask? Well because video editing applications and plugins work a lot better on Intel. Doesn't matter if rendering is faster by 10% on AMD CPU. 95% of time video editors spends while editing footage, not rendering.

Also in regards to having to buy a cooler... People buying high end CPUs don't really want to use stock coolers. This is why Intel stopped including them in the first place. Do you know many people using 3900X with stock cooler? And if you buy mid range CPU, then coolers for those cost like 20-30 Eur. Hardly worth mentioning.

All of that still doesn't make any of the 10th series line up a better buy than the equivalent zen counterpart.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
So the 10600 is a 6c/12t? That's the 8700k replacement and a much better deal. Probably smarter to buy that over even a 9700k.

All the i5s are, you can now get a 12 thread Intel CPU for ~$160, that's tremendous progress in my book. A few years ago Intel were trying to sell a dual core for that sort of money.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All of that still doesn't make any of the 10th series line up a better buy than the equivalent zen counterpart.

I think there is a strong argument based on pricing if it's purely for gaming purposes a 10th gen i5 is a pretty good way to go especially if you can clock it up around 5.0ghz. It will beat more expensive ryzen chips if your main concern is gaming.

But yeah in general it's a bad time Intel or AMD to buy a new board and CPU as they are purely 1 gen board and ram setups. So yeah if you can hold onto whatever you have for a couple more years then yeah just hold on.

Brand new build yeah I don't think it really matters honestly if you go ryzen or Intel. Amd pricing has brought Intel pricing back to earth and chips in the same price brackets perform pretty similarly and have similar core/thread counts.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's your opinion. There are plenty of people who gladly pay a little bit extra for the best gaming performance. This is why Intel CPUs and RTX 2080Ti kept selling out for months.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Meh, happy with my 9700k. Besides they are still stuck with PCIe 3.0. So no super fast SSDs which a huge problem IMO. I will wait until a die shrink and then consider upgrading if it's needed. Considering I am playing at 4K resolution, I would stay with this CPU for several years.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plenty is an overstatement, that market is pretty much niche even on the DIY market.
Luckily for Intel, they manufacture CPUs for a full market spectrum and not just niche high end. For example i5-10600K is on par with 3900X in gaming for only a fraction of a cost, but you didn't mention that.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
gotta also consider how crazy cheap ddr4 is right now. i cant imagine ddr5 being this affordable.

Can purchase 32GB ram for like 120.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California

If you're talking about Adobe Premier, hasn't it gotten a lot better on AMD platforms lately? Otherwise, AMD is pretty clearly the best for video editing these days...

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
no point in Intel currently imo. they have chance when we jump to DDR5 but right now there is no logical reason to pick Intel over AMD currently. Performance difference are pointless. Value is better in AMD, and 4000 series will likely butcher these CPUs as well. Im hoping they sort themselves out and come out strong when DDR5 hits.

ShOcKwAvE

Oct 27, 2017
Carlsbad, CA
Much as I've enjoyed my 3700/3900x experience, my usage is almost all gaming and no productivity work. If I was building a new PC today, I'd benefit more from going Intel. I never use stock cooling so AMD's included HSF is useful as a back-up only. As long as my case has adequate airflow and I use a decent motherboard, I don't have as much concern for the thermals after seeing these reviews. Honestly I expected less from this line-up, so I'm probably in the same boat as Linus.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not meaning to offend but, that's quite the thing to think, you'd be willing to let life pass you and your loved ones by just to get future tech? maybe a therapist could be an option. Maybe your not serious dunno

Not meaning to offend, but I think maybe you're taking my obvious joke comment as an opportunity to make a passive insult. Maybe you're not. I don't know.

PCIe 5.0 isn't going to do much for GPUs or SSDs. DDR5, on the other hand, will probably help the CPU quite a bit.

I understand that. I was more using it as an opportunity to point out that people waiting on PCIe 5.0 are probably going to be waiting a while.

The whole me wanting to skip ahead in time was more of a statement to myself with wanting MCM architecture in consumer GPUs.

Last edited:

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
But... that's not what LinusTechTips review said, at all. They've spent like entire minute explaining that thermals are better than previous gen (9xxx).

At stock speeds, sure. But when you look at the voltages needed to hit 5.2GHz and the chip is pushing up past 300W at load it's a different story. Even if you're OC on a 3900X it stays well below 200W.