• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
So does AMD not have this same limitation, or is the argument that both AMD and Intel chips would end up performing exactly the same due to hitting the same bottleneck? But in the end, how fucking fast do you really need an SSD to be for PC gaming? Load times are already sub 5s usually for games that actually have to load big areas individually with just a standard SSD. For the last year and a half at least for me, I can't remember the last game that I played that took longer than 3s to load.

AMD have updated their link from the chipset back to the main memory controller to PCI-E 4.0 x4 so they can support a PCI-E 4.0 SSD at full rate. You can run an x8 3.0 SSD on a Z490 but it cuts the memory bandwidth of the graphics card in half (not that bad) but also there aren't any x8 PCI-E 3.0 controllers for SSDs (i.e. you'd have to run twin x4s in some sort of RAID).

It's not so much a case of loading time but streaming assets in a more complicated scene in a JIT fashion to be rendered. This is how the next generation of games are probably going to work as both MS and Sony are laying down the necessary parts for it to happen. If you're going through a city at speed the game engine is going to be continually pulling data up from the storage media in advance of you getting there. How much data can be pulled in during these short bursts is going to dictate both the smoothness of next-gen console ports and how detailed the geometry and texturing can be. If your SSD can't pull in fast enough then you might have to turn detail down or there might be pop in or frame hitches as the assets get there late.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
AMD have updated their link from the chipset back to the main memory controller to PCI-E 4.0 x4 so they can support a PCI-E 4.0 SSD at full rate. You can run an x8 3.0 SSD on a Z490 but it cuts the memory bandwidth of the graphics card in half (not that bad) but also there aren't any x8 PCI-E 3.0 controllers for SSDs (i.e. you'd have to run twin x4s in some sort of RAID).

It's not so much a case of loading time but streaming assets in a more complicated scene in a JIT fashion to be rendered. This is how the next generation of games are probably going to work as both MS and Sony are laying down the necessary parts for it to happen. If you're going through a city at speed the game engine is going to be continually pulling data up from the storage media in advance of you getting there. How much data can be pulled in during these short bursts is going to dictate both the smoothness of next-gen console ports and how detailed the geometry and texturing can be. If your SSD can't pull in fast enough then you might have to turn detail down or there might be pop in or frame hitches as the assets get there late.

Makes sense, thanks. Probably won't have to really worry about that until the second or third year though once the cross-gen stuff is phased out and next-gen becomes the primary focus. I build a new PC every 3-5 years (depending on need), so it likely won't really affect me.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
How much data can be pulled in during these short bursts is going to dictate both the smoothness of next-gen console ports and how detailed the geometry and texturing can be. If your SSD can't pull in fast enough then you might have to turn detail down or there might be pop in or frame hitches as the assets get there late.
Or they will just finally start to utilize RAM properly.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PC Components

Looks like I'm pulling the trigger in the above. I was hoping Intel would provide a serious challenge but the lack of forward progress mixed with the (no doubt) higher than tray price and with the 3600x at ÂŁ210. It's a no deal from me.

With the above is it worth tuning the ram? AMD processors/motherboards are new to me and between needing to flash the board (which the seller can do) and tuning the RAM I'm a little lost on that one.

EDIT: Plus the money saved means I can grab Nvidia's new card, my 1070 is great but a bit long in the tooth now.
I'd hold fire for now. I'm expecting AMD to announce price cuts in response to this launch. (And if you can't wait, at least save yourself some coin)

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
It's nice and all that Intel is lowering prices but they don't future proof their boards.

I'm still pissed that I was stuck with z170 a board with a 6500 CPU with my upgrade option being more expensive than switching to b450 paired with a 3600x.

Kalem

May 23, 2019
So Ryzen 4000 is gonna use a new socket that will probably last at least 2 other generations, right?

I wanna build a PC in September but I'm willing to wait until Ryzen 4000 is out. If I get a Ryzen 4000 CPU, I'll probably be able to upgrade to Ryzen 6000 later, right? That would be really cool.

Which motherboards manufacturers are good in terms of actually offering proper support for late CPU upgrades?

No, Ryzen 4000 will be the last upgrade available to socket AM4, given that it started on Ryzen 1000. For longer upgrade timeframes, you gotta wait until they release their next socket.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
93% of people have 16GB of RAM or less. 54% have less than 16GB of RAM. Using RAM as a backing store in the same vein as a super fast SSD is not that practical a solution.

When games increase RAM needed they increase RAM needed. It happens. What would be unusual and a first for PC is requiring a different long term storage medium.

Usually it was some high profile game that needed more RAM, like a Battlefield title. And if you didn't have the RAM you'd expect to wait on loading screen for 3 minutes.

I clearly remember this happening on Battlefield 2 and BF Vietnam. For each of those owning the optimal RAM was not at all common - like owning 32GB today.

RAM requirements will 100% increase. It just remains to be seen if any game will actually require 32GB, or utilize it.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
93% of people have 16GB of RAM or less. 54% have less than 16GB of RAM. Using RAM as a backing store in the same vein as a super fast SSD is not that practical a solution.

Even fewer will (initially) have a PC capable of keeping up with the (compressed) I/O on the next-gen consoles (whether any game, much less a cross-platform one, will rely on this is a separate issue). Memory is a great equalizer, if you use it (i.e don't port a console version with fixed-size arenas and call it a day).

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
It's nice and all that Intel is lowering prices but they don't future proof their boards.

I'm still pissed that I was stuck with z170 a board with a 6500 CPU with my upgrade option being more expensive than switching to b450 paired with a 3600x.

I'm stuck on a Z170 board with a 6700K right now and waiting for Ryzen 4. Admittedly, the board I'll probably buy is more expensive than when mine was new.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Where do you get this stat? How many of those 93% people have RTX capable cards? How many of those people have NVMe SSD?
How does it even relate to around 1.5-2 years from now when actually next gen games launch?

Also people really got into this 5-6GB/s SSD marketing. Just because SSD can achieve those speeds, doesnt mean that games will utilize it. Writing an engine and games on those engines that utilize truly this kind of bandwidth to the full extend wont be that easy. Probably most of the time even 1GB/s wont be utilized properly, maybe at the end of the next-gen.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
6700K 4C/8T launched at $340. 8700K 6C/12T launched at $360. 10700KF 8C/16T is at $350.
9900K 8C/16T launched at $500. i9-10900K 10C/20T is at $500.
I mean, cmon. The prices per core are obviously lower than on any previous Core gen - and we all can thank AMD for that.

It will still be lower than that of 10900K - and 3900X probably.

they were sitting on that 4 core 8 thread for years. Greed got them really hard when AMD launched 6 core 12 thread CPU's in the market.

here is a nice video

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I really want to build a PC now as it would be a nice lockdown project and I have funds to do so. I quite like the look of the 10700k but not being 100% tech savvy when it comes to specs the reception has been lukewarm for all these chips. I assume we will start to see benchmarks over the coming days/weeks for a number of these new CPUs?

The overall vibe I'm getting is to wait until Zen 3 hits to build?

shnitzel

Dec 3, 2017
So yeah, der8auer says, that Intel could have made Comet Lake Scompatible with their old boards if they wanted to.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
lol at Intel putting their review embargo one day before the one AMD set for their new 3000-series (low-end) chips. (May 20:th/21:st)

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense, thanks. Probably won't have to really worry about that until the second or third year though once the cross-gen stuff is phased out and next-gen becomes the primary focus. I build a new PC every 3-5 years (depending on need), so it likely won't really affect me.
A small nitpick to add, but there's one other difference. AMD actually has some extra I/O built into the CPU that doesn't have to share its bandwidth with the x4 link to the PCH as Veliladon mentioned. This diagram explains it better than just listing off everything in here.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Where do you get this stat? How many of those 93% people have RTX capable cards? How many of those people have NVMe SSD?
How does it even relate to around 1.5-2 years from now when actually next gen games launch?

Steam Hardware Survey. Dunno how many have NVMe SSDs but RTX is around about 8.5%. The most popular card is still the 1060.

Also people really got into this 5-6GB/s SSD marketing. Just because SSD can achieve those speeds, doesnt mean that games will utilize it. Writing an engine and games on those engines that utilize truly this kind of bandwidth to the full extend wont be that easy. Probably most of the time even 1GB/s wont be utilized properly, maybe at the end of the next-gen.

This is exactly how PS5 and Xbox Series X are pitching their respective systems to developers though. RAM only holds the next second of gameplay, SSDs hold the next 30 seconds. Once this becomes a mainstream AAA thing disk I/O is going to represent a limiting factor and that 10C/20T monster with a 3080 Ti might not be able to get ultra level detail from the disk in time. Especially since AMD are throwing an NVMe slot direct onto the processor's PCI-E bus with its own dedicated lanes while the motherboard NVMe slots on a Z490 Intel board are going to be stuck sharing DMI 3.0 with every other thing hanging on the southbridge.

I expect Intel to rectify it in future platforms but Z490 is turning into an absolute clusterfuck.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit more than just greed as you can see now with 9000 and 10000 series thermals.
I get uncomfortable imagining just how much money they've burned on P1274 trying to make 193nm work at 10nm. I don't think any of the other foundries even bothered with quad patterning. All the others kept going with double patterning then moved straight to EUV.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn. I generally always go Intel, and I think my 6700K is getting a bit long in the tooth to keep up with 4k/60 gaming so I need to upgrade, but I think the next AMD chips may be worth holding out for. Hmm.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I'm torn. I generally always go Intel, and I think my 6700K is getting a bit long in the tooth to keep up with 4k/60 gaming so I need to upgrade, but I think the next AMD chips may be worth holding out for. Hmm.
Dude, brand loyalty is probably one of the stupidest concepts humanity has invented. Go for what is best at the moment of purchase, not for what you usually go for.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, brand loyalty is probably the stupidest concept humanity has invented. Go for what is best at the moment of purchase, not for what you usually go for.

Oh, I don't really have brand loyalty. I just want the best for the money I'm spending. The only reason I've had some doubts with AMD is because of past compatibility issues, but those seem to have mostly worked themselves out now.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Steam Hardware Survey. Dunno how many have NVMe SSDs but RTX is around about 8.5%. The most popular card is still the 1060.
So almost all of those 93% PCs arent next-gen ready anyway, so stat isnt really meaningful as of yet.

This is exactly how PS5 and Xbox Series X are pitching their respective systems to developers though. RAM only holds the next second of gameplay, SSDs hold the next 30 seconds. Once this becomes a mainstream AAA thing disk I/O is going to represent a limiting factor and that 10C/20T monster with a 3080 Ti might not be able to get ultra level detail from the disk in time. Especially since AMD are throwing an NVMe slot direct onto the processor's PCI-E bus with its own dedicated lanes while the motherboard NVMe slots on a Z490 Intel board are going to be stuck sharing DMI 3.0 with every other thing hanging on the southbridge.

I expect Intel to rectify it in future platforms but Z490 is turning into an absolute clusterfuck.
RAM only holds '1s' of gameplay if there is not enough RAM. High disk bandwidth is meaningful only to circumvent the lack of RAM. If you have enough RAM, then it should not be required.
If we assume that next-gen games are at most 250GB uncompressed then 30GB RAM (20GB of DDR4 and 10GB GDDR5) can hold up even 12% of the whole game assets. Having in memory 12% of your game assets can sustain hours of gameplay in most (if not all) games, you definitely do not need to refresh that every several seconds.
Of course those napkin calculation doesnt take into account additional buffers, procedural generation of data etc, but generally those arent that massive in comparison to rest of the assets.
Its the RAM and VRAM that communicates directly with CPU and GPU, SSD is only there to put the data into memory, so if the data is already there then SSD can be mostly idle.
Btw writing high latency mitigating, multithreaded systems is really not easy. Also not every workflow can be scaled up linearly with bandwidth and not every game needs very high data throughput.
Remember that if devs want to utilize constantly 5GB/s transfer, they need to scale their data usage 100 times to what they are used to now. I see those SSD data rates more as bottleneck removal than something that will be utilized constantly to the full extend.

Microsoft and Sony are future proofing their systems and try to mitigate the low amount of RAM their have in their machines, but it doesnt mean that PCs need to work this way as well.
Developers should care about PC platform and use its hardware accordingly, instead of porting the games 1:1 from consoles. If system has 64GB RAM and 14GB VRAM it should use those resources efficiently.

Last edited:

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Sort of similar here, I have a 6700k and generally prefer Intel due to gaming performance. After reading about the new CPUs at Anandtech, I'm most likely going to jump on the AMD 4000 series when they launch (later this year I believe). Mostly interested in the 4900x, assuming that's a thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Even with the chipset being half-assed PCIE 3.0 fare (or is it?), it's apparent that Rocket Lake is what these boards were really made for and that Comet Lake is the stopgap that should've been out last year. Why move to a new socket (its power requirements) when everything else is is the almost the same vs Coffee Lake v2? Rocket lake is going to be here so quickly that buyers will get whiplash.

This launch just feels ehhhhhh. Even the 65W chips don't look SFF friendly at all.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I'm liking these specs. And the pricing is good too. I'm on a 2500k still and have been meaning to upgrade sometime soon. I was hoping for 10nm though. Is it worth it to wait for the 11th gen?

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm liking these specs. And the pricing is good too. I'm on a 2500k still and have been meaning to upgrade sometime soon. I was hoping for 10nm though. Is it worth it to wait for the 11th gen?

If Rocket Lake is next, then a) It'll come very soon, and b) Still 14nm.

"Rocket Lake is expected to be released in Q4 2020 or Q1 2021." -- https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/microarchitectures/rocket_lake

Anyone who buys into Comet Lake better be ready for it to have a very short life-span indeed, assuming everything goes Intel's way. Not having Rocket Lake as a response to Zen 3 would surely be yet another failure.

You'll get Intel 10nm desktop parts in 2022 probably, if you want to wait for that.

Last edited:

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Sort of similar here, I have a 6700k and generally prefer Intel due to gaming performance. After reading about the new CPUs at Anandtech, I'm most likely going to jump on the AMD 4000 series when they launch (later this year I believe). Mostly interested in the 4900x, assuming that's a thing.
The fastest intel CPU is only 5% faster in games. Theres seriously no reason for 99.9% of gamers to buy an Intel CPU.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Oh... that sucks, there's absolutely no way I'm waiting for Ryzen 5000. Welp, guess I won't get any CPU upgrades while keeping the mobo!
I think I've said it a couple times already but I've swung back to going with Zen 3 despite AM4 being near EOL and no new upgrade paths later but it's not like I'd be looking for an upgrade again anytime soon seeing how I've stuck with my 2500k for nearly nine years now and I'm probably going to go with the 3900X's successor which I'd been looking at Zen 3 since like mid-2017 despite really starting to feel the need to upgrade back in late 2016, going to be around four years since then before finally doing it, could end up early next year depending on how things go. Plus, DDR5 and AM5 for that matter are probably going to need time to mature, PCI-e 5 USB 4 will have as well and I'm not going to look to hold off nearly as long again.

I am too and been holding off four almost four years now from when I really started to feel it in late 2016 but I'm pretty much set on going with AMD/Zen 3 because Intel is not in a good place with the wall they've hit in recent years. I'd wait for benchmarks to see how far ahead they are in games compared to Zen 2 CPUs and whether the rumored Zen 3 improvements will be enough to close what's been a pretty small gap, there's potential for Zen 3 to surpass Intel in single core performance.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
If Rocket Lake is next, then a) It'll come very soon, and b) Still 14nm.

"Rocket Lake is expected to be released in Q4 2020 or Q1 2021." -- https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/microarchitectures/rocket_lake

Anyone who buys into Comet Lake better be ready for it to have a very short life-span indeed, assuming everything goes Intel's way. Not having Rocket Lake as a response to Zen 3 would surely be yet another failure.

You'll get Intel 10nm desktop parts in 2022 probably, if you want to wait for that.
Darn. Well, at least it will have PCIe 4.0. This isn't a good year to build, anyway. I wonder how far AMD will be by the time Intel can manage 10nm on the desktop?

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are Intel being such dicks with the i3? Did a reasonably priced 4/8 K series kill their mother or something? Let's give them HT but take back 300MHz and overclocking!

Intel has a long history of cutting up their product lines ins super shitty ways. They held back 64bit adoption for a long time by restricting their low end chips, which were totally x64 capable, as a way of differentiating their more expensive chips.

The fastest intel CPU is only 5% faster in games. Theres seriously no reason for 99.9% of gamers to buy an Intel CPU.

And in real gaming situations you are almost certainly going to be GPU limited in actual gameplay so that's 5% you never even see. Compared to the huge speedup you get in basically every other task it's a fools bargin every time.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
If it's anything like last time then the 10900k won't be anything like that price at launch

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Oh Intel, what are you doing. This release is going to be like a fart in the wind that's for sure.
It's unknown what it will be.
RKL is rumored to be a port of TGL to 14nm. It's hard to say what it will achieve prior to seeing any solid numbers but if all will go well we may get one of the fastest gaming CPUs yet - in the form of an 8C/16T RKL, with Willow Cove CPU cores running at 5GHz.
Willow Cove should provide a sizeable boost in IPC over Skylake cores - around +20% or so - which coupled with high 14nm clocks may result in what will essentially be similar to running CML @ 6GHz.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's unknown what it will be.
RKL is rumored to be a port of TGL to 14nm. It's hard to say what it will achieve prior to seeing any solid numbers but if all will go well we may get one of the fastest gaming CPUs yet - in the form of an 8C/16T RKL, with Willow Cove CPU cores running at 5GHz.
Willow Cove should provide a sizeable boost in IPC over Skylake cores - around +20% or so - which coupled with high 14nm clocks may result in what will essentially be similar to running CML @ 6GHz.
The problem there though, and obvious to you no doubt, is that Intel's TDP measurements are deceptive and we could see some rather hot chips without the tomato sauce on top.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The problem there though, and obvious to you no doubt, is that Intel's TDP measurements are deceptive and we could see some rather hot chips without the tomato sauce on top.
They won't be any hotter than CML, the platform's TDP is set.

I also kinda don't get the narrative that Intel CPUs are somehow especially hot these days. Ryzens aren't too cool either, and this is a natural result of both vendors trying to push their products as high as possible in both clocks and core counts. Anyone here thinks that it will be different once Intel will move from 14nm to 10 or 7? Think again.

Rule of thumb is - if the temps are bothering you so much don't go with a high end CPU (or GPU for that matter).