• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Too many customization, and that includes Create your own gear category.

The most boring aspect in any game is Crafting.

glaurung

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
Most likely posted somewhere above already, but I cannot stand early "fake" boss battles that are supposed to be unwinnable. This is different from games like Bloodborne or Sekiro, where you are put up against a very difficult enemy for that moment, but beating them is possible with enough skill and patience.

No, what I absolutely loathe is game design that pits you against almost unbeatable odds - and even if you somehow manage to beat that boss, the end result is still you losing to them. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 did this recently and it irritated me to no end.

I know why bad game designers think this a good idea. It is supposed to convey the notion that "hey, you are weak now, but after 50h of grind, you get to fight this guy again and finally win." Designed to be motivational, these fights end up being the polar opposite.

Oct 27, 2017
A pet peeve of mine is games that immediately start without letting you into the main menu first, especially on PC. I need to go to the damn options first, dammit!

Bonus points if you pause during the introduction, change some options that require a restart and then the game doesn't start from the beginning again but from a checkpoint you haven't even reached yet because it automatically skipped the intro upon ending the game.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Lack of customization options or character creator.

When these things are missing, the playable character has to fit my weird taste or I just can't motivate myself to play (aka The Witcher 3).

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
When starting a game for the first time I want to play it with in 2 minutes of selecting "Start New Game". I hate it when a game starts out with endless story, an overly long create a character, and long load times in between. Give me a taste of the game before having me do all that shit.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Annoying little kid characters. If you add the "they're actually two thousand years old but they look like they're 8" it's a double-dose of turn-off. That trope needs to go away forever.

The excuse is complete bullshit too since a lot of these characters act like kids. I'd like to see a JRPG subvert this trope actually. Have a character that looks like a kid but actually talks like a retried war veteran and also is dressed appropriately.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
Games that start too quickly. What i mean is that there's no mini intro trailer before the main menu, no interesting menu screen or a short intro movie. I like the build up and setting the scene. Sniper Elite 4 and Vampyr come to mind.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Having to eat, drink and watch your energy in survival games. I know it's the point but they often go overboard like ARK for example.

Kitokys

Nov 29, 2017
RPGs that feature monster capturing/raising as a primary means of filling your party. Characters are important to me in RPGs, so having monsters that don't interact with anything within the plot just doesn't interest me.

Oct 27, 2017
Online multiplayer only + free to play + cosmetic micro transactions = yeah I'm not going to be your slave, get that shit out of my sight

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Just had this happened: Losing a save / game won't allow you to progress.

There's lots but that one is on my mind cause of the above.

Googling the answer and 100s of other people have had the same issue yet no response from the Dev.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Oh, I just remembered a big one.

Do not fucking grade my performance. I especially can't stand when I'm graded on time spent or turn count. Can't stand that in Valkyria Chronicles.

Capndrake

Oct 28, 2017
Any game with a customizable main character void of personality (Xenoblade X, for instance) or worse, one where all the main characters are customizable and void of personality (Dragon Quest IX).

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Just from the top of my head from games I've recently played...

- Having to babysit NPCs or AI-controlled party members that cannot or barely can fend for themselves. I dropped RE4 and RE:Rev2 for this alone.
- Long voice acted conversations that are not even part of any important cutscene and that cannot be quick advanced as you read them: you either sit through them or completely skip them. Tales Of games are huge offenders with the field conversations.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
For me it's when games, particularly online games, attempt to immerse you in a grounded world, then slowly add goofy customization that loses that immersion. Some times it's right from the jump as is the case with EA's NHL series that allows you to use some of the most godawful looking equipment.

Some examples include games like Battlefield or Call of Duty, which in a few months will have many players running around with weapons that are either gold plated or plastered in bright colors, silly facepaint and accessories, emblems on the side of tanks, etc. Even GTA V has this problem in GTA Online. It started as a satirical, yet grounded take on America (well as grounded as GTA can be), and while I was fine with the character and vehicle customization options, the introduction of hover bikes and alien guns was a little too much.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cluttered UI in games that don't need a cluttered UI. Some games would definitely benefit from options to remove specific parts of the UI(partly why I used to love the AC series because I could get immersed in the game without the HUD due to all the visual/audio queues it had).

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
RPGs where enemies have huge amounts of hit points and every random battle takes ages

This but for shooters.

No human being should survive more than two bullets in the head, no matter how badass and difficult to beat a character is supposed to be.

I can accept it if there's a heavy looking helmet or heavy duty cyber implants but that's about it.

The bodyshots count, i'm a bit more lenient. But if it takes a full clip to down a human enemy, i'm out.

And i don't even like it when it's not against humans. Take the first Far Cry game : i utterly hate all the passages with the mutants while i loved fighting the mercs.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
When "famous" YouTubers or Twitch whatevers are involved as characters or voices. Kills any interest I had immediately.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Games that are so complex that they require a seemingly endless tutorial element with endless pop ups explaining what this UI element does and what that UI element does. For me I just don't bother playing complex games, I don't have the time nor patience nor care for games like that. I just want something fairly simple and self explanatory and nothing too tactical that I NEED to know all these things.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Forced walking
Losing powerups/weapons for story reasons
A million pins on a map because of shitty side quests
Cut scenes in general but scenes before getting to play are so annoying

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
Oversexualization (skimpy outfits, giant tits, forced closeups on tits/asses, etc.), lolis, and animu.

Attractive characters is one thing, but the crazed fanservice sexualizing gets really out of hand sometimes. It can be a little dumb thing like the animation in a game being limited and stiff - but they still made sure to animate the characters' tits swaying and bouncing, or outright over the top stuff like in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I remember trying to get into Dragon Quest by playing DQ8 years ago, and growing increasingly embarassed to play it as someone in every new town would comment and/or trigger a 'va-va-voom' scene of closeups on the female party member's ass, body, and tits. Helped kill my enthusiasm for the game and I later dropped it.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Games with NPCs full of dialogue that either goes nowhere, is poorly written, or just kinda feels like filler lore of no consequence...but you can't tell in advance and *some* NPCs have really important and interesting lore you'll miss otherwise, so you have to talk to everyone.

XL Hoodie

Oct 25, 2017
U.S.
Compass waypoints and breadcrumb trails. That stuff just makes games too easy, and it also kills immersion and exploration.

Varixio

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if it happens in other games, but while I love the Yakuza games(and Judgment), I don't like when it says "Press X to Skip" on the bottom of every cutscene or time they're talking.

It's like "no, I'm watching for a reason". If I wanted to skip and presses X, it should then come up again to confirm I want to skip. It takes me out of the dialogue and immersion when that happens.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
- Bad stories that think they're very good (David Cage, The Last of Us, Walking Dead, etc)

- Pixel indie twee games

- Memes

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I just remembered a big one.

Do not fucking grade my performance. I especially can't stand when I'm graded on time spent or turn count. Can't stand that in Valkyria Chronicles.

Yeah. I'm usually fine with grading systems where a high mark feels natural (like making a high quality item in Atelier), but in Valkyria Chronicles it took me back that the game really only cares about time. I was getting punished for playing slow and tactical to ensure everyone kept away from danger, but in the end it just pushed me to cheesing with Scouts since hitting max rank gives a huge bonus to experience and money. Combat almost all avoided, strategy gone, the game became less fun.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Audio logs/info dumps
Long tutorials
Constant interruptions
Fanservice in JRPGs
"New" icons that clutter the menu when there are new entries
Slow animations
Bullet sponge enemies

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Weapon degradation that amounts to using a metal sword for 20 swings before it shatters like it was made of glass.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Overly involved inventory management. No game, I don't want to spend hours in your inventory menu because it's limited in size or because of a weight limit, that shit is boring.

Oct 29, 2017
I won't touch any game that is hyped up as difficult and doesn't have difficulty options. Just not for me as I won't have the patience for it.

This. And it really bothers me when there's no reason for it. Like, when it's Dark Souls, I get it. The challenge is an inherent part of the design. It's not for me, and that's totally cool, I don't begrudge that.

But you get random RPGs like Technomancer or Elex or something, I would totally enjoy playing those on casual for the story, but no, the developer just randomly decided to make them super difficult for no reason. Well, you lost a sale, so congrats.

Shazirah

Nov 13, 2017
When a game, MMO, online, or otherwise, changes my (proper) character name to all lowercase. Oof, dunno why, but it bothers me enough to push me away.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
If it controls poorly I'm out
If it's a "running and hiding" game with little chance to fight back conclusively I'm out

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
This. And it really bothers me when there's no reason for it. Like, when it's Dark Souls, I get it. The challenge is an inherent part of the design. It's not for me, and that's totally cool, I don't begrudge that.

But you get random RPGs like Technomancer or Elex or something, I would totally enjoy playing those on casual for the story, but no, the developer just randomly decided to make them super difficult for no reason. Well, you lost a sale, so congrats.
Can't speak for Technomancer, but Elex was a call back to Gothic (possibly made by the gothic devs...). It wasn't "hard for the sake of being hard". It was meant to capture the feel of 00s CRPGs that had no level scaling and gave you the freedom to get murdered in a bush if you walked off the path.... Which is what games like Breath of the Wild and Kingdom Come claimed to be

Saying it was "super difficult for no reason" would be like complaining that the newest Mario game should have been an auto-runner and Nintendo were just fucking with people.

As for me: Forced walking sequences. Unless it is REALLY well done it is just an unskippable cutscene where I inevitably get distracted anyway.

Endimion

Aug 9, 2019
Quantity over quality.

I prefer a 10-hour game that I want to play 10 times than a 100-hour game that I only want to play 1 time.

Last edited:

Kibou

Nov 4, 2017
Anthropomorphic animals. I don't usually mind if they exist as NPCs or party members or whatever... as long as I don't have to play as one.