• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I would go to Chernobyl if I could.

They don't let tourists into the parts that are still dangerous.

People need to stop falling for viral fishing attempts like this.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
This time we have photo documentation to go with their Darwin Awards!
Ffs What fucking stupidity.

I was talking to friends about the show the other day that if it had happened today that all the people that were on the bridge would be taking selfies instead.

But here, people actually know that it's radiated and continue on.(or should know it is... )
It's generally safe to hang out in the Exclusion Zone these days. These people who are visiting the zone for a few hours are going to be safe and will likely not see any excess risk of cancer.

They're not being Darwin Award winners, just tacky assholes.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
I am all for "influencers" starting a trend where those whom they have an effect on flock to Chernobyl.....

Marin-Lune

Oct 27, 2017
Uh... Wouldn't top right photo be old/bullshit? As the chimney has been dismantled a few years ago and the old crumbling sarcophagus covered with the new dome.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Uh... Wouldn't top right photo be old/bullshit? As the chimney has been dismantled a few years ago and the old crumbling sarcophagus covered with the new dome.
Yeah, it's old, and most of the photos are actually from random tourists and not influencers. But people on ERA saw an opportunity to hate on "influencers" and they lept on it, truth be damned.

Feb 15, 2018
1406128419000-Screen-Shot-2014-07-23-at-111045-AM.jpg
giphy.gif

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
It is not even that dangerous. You could even wear bikini or speedo you are still going to be fine. She might take that photo in the safe area, unless it was in nuclear area, im sure she is going to be fine

Zoroaster

Alt account
Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Whats up with people saying Darwing Awards

You probably get dosed with more radioactivity during a transatlantic flight than visiting Chernobyl with guides

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Hai guyz look at all this radiation around me lmao so cool
Don't forget to hit subscribe

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Serious question: I've heard of people visiting Chernobyl for a while now, long before the show existed, but that they couldn't stay long or you'd get sick from the radiation poisoning. My question is, how long would you be able to stay there?

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Serious question: I've heard of people visiting Chernobyl for a while now, long before the show existed, but that they couldn't stay long or you'd get sick from the radiation poisoning. My question is, how long would you be able to stay there?
It strongly depends where exactly you go. Here is a chart of radiation doses made by xkcd:
Q1rF8aE.png

Source: https://xkcd.com/radiation/

Edit: So an hour at Chernobyl could give you a dose of 6mSv, which is comparable to a chest X-Ray.

By staying several hours there (or alternatively visiting places that have stronger radiation like the hospital basement where the contaminated firemen uniforms still lie to this day), you would accumulate the yearly dose clearly linked to an increased cancer risk (100mSv). But since it is over such a short period of time instead of a year I'm sure the effect would be worse and more pronounced.

Last edited:

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
The dude in the second photo, wether he is an "influencer" or not, hardly went there because of the show since we see the first sarcophagus wich you can't anymore with the new confinement safe put in place over it in late 2016.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Anything beyond a few hot spots and the actual power plant itself are perfectly safe to visit for short periods of time, just don't bring stuff out or eat local stuff there.

People continue to be absolutely trash at evaluating any risk related to radiation. For some context, please refer to this handy XKCD graph.
Seriously, this place is usually quite good when it comes to science but people in this thread are talking like you're going to turn into a Fallout ghoul with a tumour the size of your head by going near the place.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
The show has probably caused a surge in tourism but they've been giving tours since 2011. I don't think briefly being exposed to the air is going to give you radiation poisoning or cancer. I think the danger, now, is in sustained exposure over long periods of time.

There are still pockets of potential high radiation sources you need to be mindful of. Things like rooms with closed doors.

I'm pretty sure having a guide with you at all times is mandatory for admittance into the zone, at least.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TIL that most people here know nothing about the Chernobyl site. People have been going there for years, no spending a couple hours there does not give you cancer.

Also the entire basis of this thread is a tweet from a random person that is lying about all the photos in the tweet.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The Tweet in the OP appears to be misleading (see the threadmarked post), so we're locking this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.