• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jul 20, 2020
Insomniacs "Spider-Man" representation of prisoners is extremely irking to me. When playing Miles Morales the other day I realized that almost anyone in an orange jumpsuit is hype aggressive and ready to fight Spiderman on a whim. This pushes the stereotype that all felons are dangerous monsters who are too dangerous to ever be on the streets. Similar issues exist in the Arkham games but it continues to irk me to see every criminal represented as an overly violent killer. This irresponsible representation existed in the original Spiderman too where, even worse, a real world location "Rykers Island" served as a level where every criminal was attempting to break free and kill you and cops. As a life long New Yorker who knows people who have been to Rykers for low level drug crimes, people who wouldn't harm a fly it's weird how insomniac essentially pushes these very outdated views of prisoners in their game.
8o4zrq2nwt311.png

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
The Raft is a notable super prison, essentially. It's where the worst of the worst go, not just to Ryker's Island.

marvel.fandom.com

Raft

186 appearance(s) of Raft 5 appearance(s) in handbook(s) of Raft 7 minor appearance(s) of Raft 103 mention(s) of Raft 12 mention(s) in handbook(s) of Raft 18 image(s) of Raft Raft at Marvel.com Raft at Wikipedia

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
I remember this being controversial shortly after the game's release and I agree wholeheartedly. It's bad, and I'm pretty disappointed that Miles Morales kept it up, just changed the prison to a fictional one.

Morales did seem to switch drug deals to weapon deals though, and police are much more unfriendly, so I guess some progress has been made.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Isn't this prison filled with "criminal" that may have been captured by Spidey in the past? Also it was in the midst of a planned escape.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I agree it's pretty cringe. Like the whole opening sequence of oh no we gotta stop these dangerous felons I'm like meh why.

Sure rhino we gotta stop but all the other dudes no need for them to get beaten up/killed by miles/peter.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Very good point - I agree, and it makes think about the contextualization of Arkham (which was a bit better, but with very damaging implications about mental health too). We need to do better.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The Raft is a notable super prison, essentially. It's where the worst of the worst go, not just to Rikers Island.

marvel.fandom.com

Raft

186 appearance(s) of Raft 5 appearance(s) in handbook(s) of Raft 7 minor appearance(s) of Raft 103 mention(s) of Raft 12 mention(s) in handbook(s) of Raft 18 image(s) of Raft Raft at Marvel.com Raft at Wikipedia
This right here. These aren't common prisoners from the local state prison. these are meant to be the most violent criminals.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
But not every criminal is portrayed as such. These are RAFT prisoners, maximum security (in a superhero world) criminals. These ARE dangerous, way more than other criminals in-game like the drug dealers.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I was watching my buddy play the other day and thought it was humorous that immediately after a caravan of prisoners escaped, their immediate decision was for all of them to start fighting Spiderman?

Like what? Lol.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed but at the same time it's comic book prisoners. It's a dumb trope but I understand why you need multiple enemies of similar types in games

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this a max security prison? Also I'm not sure why depictions of prisoners in a video game have to mirror reality precisely. It's a video game about a comic book superhero.

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
I just find it jarring that these guys are running around as a group the whole time in an orange jump suits.
"Yup I think those are the escaped prisoners, but I am not sure"

Miya Moto

Jun 4, 2018
It's a game - don't see the problem with it. I don't expect the developers to dev prisoners with different behavioral elements and i'm fine with that.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Some of those prisoners have blue and red skin so I'm thinking it's not your typical penitentiary. And mohawk guy clearly means business. When was the last time you've seen someone rocking a mohawk in a video game who was not there to fuck shit up?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Pretty much everything in the Spider-Man games regarding law enforcement is 'outdated,' to put it nicely. In this case, it's obviously just a way to make trash mob enemies easier to explain in universe, but like a lot of superhero stuff, there's a lot of fascist undertone to everything you just kind of have to accept to some degree.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The Raft is a notable super prison, essentially. It's where the worst of the worst go, not just to Ryker's Island.

marvel.fandom.com

Raft

The Marvel universe might have an explanation of why this is true within the universe, but then it still falls into the old Batman problem where even if the villains are all dangerously insane, the entire series end up being about dangerous mentally ill people who need to be locked up.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
As a life long New Yorker it's Rikers Island.

but yeah the raft is where the baddest of the bad go. It's not like they put people who didn't pay their taxes or low level drug offenders in there.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
I love how people try to justify this with Lore reasons. Therefore Quiet being almost naked is also not bad because Kojima made us regret our words and deeds.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1. It's not real and it's not portrayed as real or even attemping it.
2. The raft is a super prison for the worst of humanity in the Marvel universe

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I thought it was more a comics view. At least, this is how I see it and neither Arkham or SM New York are real life to me.
Not arguing about the fact this is outdated.
The friendly cop Neighborhood Spider-Man was more problematic (but in the same vein).

Oct 25, 2017
I just played this part last night and I definitely saw it through a different lens than the first time I played it.

However, you don't have to interpret it as the game saying "all prisoners are violent killers" because 1) these are prisoners from the most serious prison, specifically for the most serious criminals, and 2) you can just imagine that the prisoners attacking Spiderman are the worst of the worst and the ones who aren't decided to go do something else and you never encounter them in the game.

Kazuma Kiryu

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Thread Whining
Don't you people get tired of over-analyzing every single thing in videogames?

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Saying "it's the Raft" is a bit of a cop out for discussion. To have a place with so many highly dangerous people in the first place still says something.

I think street level super hero games have a unique hurdle when it comes to "generic enemies". You either have to have criminals roaming the streets or bland non-humans like robots. Speaks to an issue with video games in how you need so many enemies for gameplay and comic books that often have a hard time reconciling with views of criminals and justice.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think those are dangerous prisoners from a maximum security facility. Not everything has to relate to real life, specially in a game with a spider dude.

There are games where prisoners are nice normal people, for example Yakuza 4 does a good job with this.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
All of the escaped prisoners in Miles Morales are people likely serving life sentences for unforgiveable crimes, and like 95% of them were probably locked up by Spidey himself so there's probably a grudge. These people were so dangerous they were being transported along with fucking Rhino. People busted for stealing a car or selling drugs aren't going to The Raft.

This is one of those instances were you're ignoring what the game is telling you in order to mold it to your own narrative.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Yeah basic requirements is the ability to destroy a city block or killing a huge amount of people

Yeah, none of the prisoners the OP is talking about does that lol. They are just relatively normal people who display no superhuman abilities. I'm not entirely sure these people are all even going to the Raft. They are part of convoy transporting Rhino to the Raft, but it's never made explicitly clear everyone is going to the same destination since they are in trucks and Rhino is being flown in.

Doesn't really matter anyway to what OP is really talking about. You can make justifications like this 'in-universe' for anything. You can try and say NYPD is nice, good old folks in universe so the 2018 is okay for furiously sucking cop dick. Not really sure that matters to the argument.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Erm...the raft is supermax prison...

Unless some of u guys wanna argue that some of these supermax prisoners are prisoners of conscious and being framed by 'teh system', that I rest my case and you do you.

It's probably better to set these games outside the US or a fantasy settings so that 'overreading' is not a thing.

Who am I kidding....even ppl overreading children's books like LOTR into war & peace.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I'm pretty sure that most criminals you found in the game are framed in a way that they are really bad people or something, at best you fight random drug dealers but they aren't portrayed in the same way as Raft prisoners or Fisk's ''employees''(unless I am misremembering).

The Spider-Cop shit is way worse IMO but I understand your point.

Wabba

Apr 12, 2018
Its a comic book game its not there to be representative of what a prison is and dont needs to be. I dont see the need to be offended by it.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Did you make that strawman yourself?
Tell me why it's a strawman then. If you honestly think the added Context of the raft being a super prison that only keeps the worst of the worst is a good justification for portraying criminals the way they are then ok, but i don't.
The Arkham Games also always have some nicer prisoners here and there, especially in City, but that doesn't change the fact that the general implication of those games is that Prisoners are always cartoonishly evil.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
This is just as valid criticism as the game's positive portrayal of the police, so I'm not sure why it should be hand-waved with "it's just fiction."

How things are represented in fictional media matters.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
If you're in the Raft, this is precisely why. They're not normal criminals.
At least in the first Spider-Man, the prison break starts on Rikers itself with people there blowing up everything in sight, and the people who are manning prisoner camps in the aftermath are from Rikers, not superpowered Raft prisoners.

It's an assumption built in to the world of Spider-Man that there's a fairly large population of people that are just violent criminals that want to do harm to the public at the first opportunity and can only be stopped with force.