• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Borman

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit, the nostalgia. You don't have Soldier of Fortune 2 working by any chance?
Only Unreal Championship and Midtown Madness 3 are playable at this point. Plenty of other games can sign in though.

This is the full stream, but linked to the point where I start loading other games just to show how far they get, including the dashboard, Counter Strike, Halo 2, and plenty of others.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I can't wait for some of the XSN games to be supported. Microsoft had a really nice online network built out for those games.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Only Unreal Championship and Midtown Madness 3 are playable at this point. Plenty of other games can sign in though.

This is the full stream, but linked to the point where I start loading other games just to show how far they get, including the dashboard, Counter Strike, Halo 2, and plenty of others.

This is amazing.

I can't listen right now, and haven't entirely been following along, but does this only work with a modded console? is there a chance I could potentially play Crimson Skies on a Series X and connect to this?

If Mech Assault could somehow be brought back, that would make my day.

Best part is that the video itself is on real hardware, which doesnt need to be modified other than getting the keys themselves (which can be done without a full mod)

It looks like you already suggested you just need the "Keys". I really hope we can find a way to make this work this Xbox One/ Series X. It would save me from having to bust out the old console.

OP
OP
Borman

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
My understanding is that One and newer consoles completely block old Xbox Live functionality.

Essentially on OG hardware, you will have to run a one time save exploit. From there, it doesn't matter if your console is modded or not, so long as Live isn't blocked on your chosen mod, which some BIOS did.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
My understanding is that One and newer consoles completely block old Xbox Live functionality.

Essentially on OG hardware, you will have to run a one time save exploit. From there, it doesn't matter if your console is modded or not, so long as Live isn't blocked on your chosen mod, which some BIOS did.

Ah, I see. That's too bad, but luckily I do still have a working OG Xbox. Plus, there are so many OG Xbox games not working in back backwards compatibility yet, so it's probably worth setting up.

OP
OP
Borman

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I gave Xbox Video Chat a go, since most people have never seen it...

OP
OP
Borman

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just video chat hah, only compatible program that I know of.

OP
OP
Borman

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Early work has been done to support PSO on private servers!

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Whuttttttt. Is it possible to access DLC with this? I'm an idiot and deleted the Ninja Gaiden hurricane packs a billion years ago, would love to be able to use intercept again.

OP
OP
Borman

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
DLC is currently not in the plans, because it would be illegal to distribute. Not illegal to support features of DLC though :)

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Holy shit this exists? I had no idea, I knew there was a reason I kept all my og hardware, I gotta read more into this.

OP
OP
Borman

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ah hell yea that's awesome. Are server based games fully off the table (like line of contact)

Not off the table at all, they just require more custom work so they aren't a priority. Line of Contacts normal multiplayer works, just not their crazy campaign thing. Someday!

Did they get PSO working?

Yep, I streamed it in the past.

Is this up? I'm on their Discord.

Not to the public, lots of work to.

OP
OP
Borman

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If I'm reading that right, are you saying you can play stuff like DLC maps online if you've modded your console to support that?

Most likely, yes. Keep in mind I only do testing so Im not a totally reliable source, but there is still a ton of documentation being done. Updates and DLC are a mess for certain games, giving vague errors as to why you can't join a game (could be missing DLC that someone has, or missing updates, etc). Lot's to figure out there.

Wasn't a good chunk of it already on disk?

Probably, I dont really remember. Either way, I wouldnt rule anything out yet. It's just also not the current priority from what I can tell.

This has some PSO footage:

View: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1520762975

Some DOOM 3 MP and COOP:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuIbvKEOdN8

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I have been following this with such excitement since I came across some of the team's Twitter posts (graciously re-tweeted by Borman).

OP
OP
Borman

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sounding like there may be a long stream showcasing multiple games tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This is so cool. The only days of XBL I remember are Halo 2. So it would be something to experience other classics once this is ready.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love to see Halo 2 playable on OG Xbox Live again. TMCC's balance changes never made it feel right to me.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
What balance changes?

The main one being that they blanket changed the starting grenades from 2 to 1. From memory, they also didn't change the starting weapon based on map (In Bungie Halo 2, for smaller maps you could start with an SMG, but larger maps would be a BR. This was done so that on smaller maps, you couldn't spawn camp people as easily.)

Dec 21, 2017
The main one being that they blanket changed the starting grenades from 2 to 1. From memory, they also didn't change the starting weapon based on map (In Bungie Halo 2, for smaller maps you could start with an SMG, but larger maps would be a BR. This was done so that on smaller maps, you couldn't spawn camp people as easily.)
None of those are things.

You can choose between BR and SMG start before searching MM. You still start with 2 grenades.