• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
So does this just function as a new back-end to connect players together for multiplayer games or it something more than that?

Oct 27, 2017
An official implementation on Xbox One backwards compatibility would be fantastic. Hopefully this work pushes Microsoft to revisit it.

Even if that never happens, this is excellent as it reaches games that may never reach the backwards compatible program. I'll probably never do the mod but I can't wait to see where this goes.

defghik

Feb 15, 2018
Amazing work by these guys. Is there any indication Microsoft would look to shut this down?

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Unreal Championship 2 online again?

I am in college. The year is 2006.

OP
OP
Borman

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Amazing work by these guys. Is there any indication Microsoft would look to shut this down?
It uses none of their code, completely clean room, plus a service that won't be making money nor makes Microsoft money. I hope they don't do anything, not sure they have a case regardless but that doesn't mean much.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It uses none of their code, completely clean room, plus a service that won't be making money nor makes Microsoft money. I hope they don't do anything, not sure they have a case regardless but that doesn't mean much.
I figured this would be the case but it's nice to hear that confirmation. I highly doubt this will get shut down and if anything this preserves online for people to go revisit at least some of the early days of Xbox live to a degree. It's going to be rad.

My main concerns are:
-How will servers be handled and how will they be maintained. There has to be a cost associated with this and who is going to pay to keep it running outside of a few enthusiasts and what happens when whoever handles the server has an emergency or leaves

-hacking was a big problem in the early days of online gaming, particularly with certain OG Xbox games. While this won't draw as much of a hacking problem I fully expect games like Halo 2 to have hackers still. Would there be a way to system ban those folks?

-lack of mic communicator packs being readily available. You needed one of these to plug in a mic into the controller back then and I wonder if enough people will have them these days because they seem to be much harder to come by these days and aren't advertised as much anymore either on Kijiji or eBay. The original Xbox Live didn't have party chat and this was the only easy way to communicate. While discord is fine for playing with a party of friends, it's going to be hard unless you have friends to play OG Xbox with. On the bright side, I don't expect as much racist and sexist nonsense on this because I don't see those types of douchebags to be attempting to go through all the necessary hoops to play retro stuff.

Willy

Oct 27, 2017
That's awesome. There are plenty of original Xbox games I'd love to play online again.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I figured this would be the case but it's nice to hear that confirmation. I highly doubt this will get shut down and if anything this preserves online for people to go revisit at least some of the early days of Xbox live to a degree. It's going to be rad.

My main concerns are:
-How will servers be handled and how will they be maintained. There has to be a cost associated with this and who is going to pay to keep it running outside of a few enthusiasts and what happens when whoever handles the server has an emergency or leaves

-hacking was a big problem in the early days of online gaming, particularly with certain OG Xbox games. While this won't draw as much of a hacking problem I fully expect games like Halo 2 to have hackers still. Would there be a way to system ban those folks?

-lack of mic communicator packs being readily available. You needed one of these to plug in a mic into the controller back then and I wonder if enough people will have them these days because they seem to be much harder to come by these days and aren't advertised as much anymore either on Kijiji or eBay. The original Xbox Live didn't have party chat and this was the only easy way to communicate. While discord is fine for playing with a party of friends, it's going to be hard unless you have friends to play OG Xbox with. On the bright side, I don't expect as much racist and sexist nonsense on this because I don't see those types of douchebags to be attempting to go through all the necessary hoops to play retro stuff.
Microsoft's stuff was only leaked like two days ago; that'd have been a quick turnaround if they looked at the source code.

Servers aren't really necessary for P2P since everyone would be connecting to each other rather than everyone to a server.

And if there is a need for a server, people have been running their own servers in games for over two decades at this point. Way back in the day, people would mainly opt to play in private user servers than on official servers depending on the game.

if they got things this far, there's nothing stopping them from churning up a client that allows an individual user to turn their desktop computer into a game server like the old days. There isn't necessarily a need for an actual server rig.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What MS leak? If they are using leaked source code then this is likely gonna be taken down. My understanding from OP was that it was built from scratch

OP
OP
Borman

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This uses zero leaked code in this project.

People need to realize that the entire Xbox scene was built off of code that has only recently become more widely available. Many custom dashboards and BIOS that people continue to use since 2003 are from leaked code. But there has never been an Xbox Live replacement, which would have done great back in the day, because there just isn't anything usable in there as far as I've been told by people who were there. And that discounts the Xbox 360 live code that has been leaked years ago which is also apparently useless.

This new implementation is built from scratch, and any tools that are made to help you get needed information will likely be buildable with the open source dev tools, so you won't even need something compiled with Microsoft's SDK, which would make it even more legal, if such things are possible hah.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This uses zero leaked code in this project.

People need to realize that the entire Xbox scene was built off of code that has only recently become more widely available. Many custom dashboards and BIOS that people continue to use since 2003 are from leaked code. But there has never been an Xbox Live replacement, which would have done great back in the day, because there just isn't anything usable in there as far as I've been told by people who were there. And that discounts the Xbox 360 live code that has been leaked years ago which is also apparently useless.

This new implementation is built from scratch, and any tools that are made to help you get needed information will likely be buildable with the open source dev tools, so you won't even need something compiled with Microsoft's SDK, which would make it even more legal, if such things are possible hah.
Good to hear. I have a crap ton of original xboxes, 16+ controllers and 8 communicator packs because I wanted to keep the possibility of system link play an option for myself with XBL being dead. Something like this will completely change that for me if it manages to launch because I won't need all that kit anymore

KentaSnorlax

Oct 27, 2017
MechAssault
PGR2
Midtown Madness 3
Rallisport Challenge 2
Amped 2
Links 2004
Conker: Live and Reloaded
Unreal Championship 2
Crimson Skies

To name a few examples.
I'd love to be able to play all of these again. I don't know how many hours I spent playing Cat and Mouse in PGR2.

Most of all though I want to be able to play Rainbow Six 3 and Spies vs. Mercs. To this day they are still my most played multiplayer games. RS3 was my first ever online multiplayer game and I probably had 1000's of hours logged lol.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
I'd love to be able to play all of these again. I don't know how many hours I spent playing Cat and Mouse in PGR2.

Most of all though I want to be able to play Rainbow Six 3 and Spies vs. Mercs. To this day they are still my most played multiplayer games. RS3 was my first ever online multiplayer game and I probably had 1000's of hours logged lol.
There is kind of a novelty in playing old console games online as opposed to PC. They're even still tunnelling CounterStrike Xbox through system link to get that online. Though I think in regards to Chaos Theory, you don't have to jump through a set of hoops to get multiplayer running on console for that specific game compared to its PC equivalent.

OP
OP
Borman

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
A "live" multiplayer match has happened on Insignia! Amazing progress!

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dam I miss those laser sounds haha. This actually working still blows my mind. Crossing my fingers it all goes smooth in terms of testing and deployment

OP
OP
Borman

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Another game working, and I got to play this time.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
Well, time to go and find a communicator then.

The Xbox I got has a custom dashboard and still has its original HDD, I wonder if I can use it for this, because it's awesome!

OP
OP
Borman

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hey that's me. Keep an eye on the Discord, might be another stream coming soon!

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Would be fun to get for Phantasy Star.

OP
OP
Borman

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Borman mind PM-ing an invite to the discord
Ill just drop one here:

Join the Insignia Discord Server!

Check out the Insignia community on Discord - hang out with 10152 other members and enjoy free voice and text chat.

Just as a note, Im not someone who is actually doing any work on the project, they just pull me in to test things knowing I have something like 300 Xbox games and know my way around the console hah. Any technical questions should be directed to them, even in the stream above I was going off of what I knew (which can change rapidly!)

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ill just drop one here:

Join the Insignia Discord Server!

Check out the Insignia community on Discord - hang out with 10152 other members and enjoy free voice and text chat.

Just as a note, Im not someone who is actually doing any work on the project, they just pull me in to test things knowing I have something like 300 Xbox games and know my way around the console hah. Any technical questions should be directed to them, even in the stream above I was going off of what I knew (which can change rapidly!)
I joined but all I see is the welcome page

OP
OP
Borman

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That was a ton of fun, I love Midtown Madness 3.